TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Jack Ryan Season 2 (Amazon) *Spoilers*

7K views 46 replies 27 participants last post by  Beryl 
#1 ·
What did you think?
I was hoping Uber would be John Kelly.

#4 · (Edited)
Sorta fun, but much of it was a retread: the riverbed battle from Clear and Present Danger, the convoy ambush in the streets from the same. Other derivative stuff from the Bond films. Jumping between buildings like Tom Cruise.

Two good things: Noomi Rapace and the fact that much of it was in Spanish.

#10 ·
10? If only, and they're only 40 minutes long, including 1:30 of opening credits and a similar amount for closing credits. Only about 37 minutes of actual content per episode, which is even worse than the average 42 minutes or so we're left with after commercials on broadcast television.

#17 ·
In the 80s and 90s, 8 hours would have been a mini-series but this is the 21st century and now we can even have 2 or 3 episode seasons for some shows (Sherlock and Luther both come to mind). I'm all for it, if it makes for better pacing and storytelling.

#15 ·
I was a little disappointed with JR Season 2- it didn’t have the depth and breadth of season 1, and the antagonist wasn’t as good as Suleiman was. The run-and-gun action seems cribbed from a First Person Shooter game.

I did like the Mike November character (Michael Kelley)- even if he’s merely HoC’s Doug Stamper in a lightly different wrapping. Hope he sticks around in S3 if Greer is indeed out after S2.

The 40min episode length did bother me, even though S1’s episodes were similar length. The story didn’t have the epic feel of the first season.

#20 ·
I'm only about half way through. Cathy being AWOL without any explanation whatsoever is very odd.

I'm not a big fan of Wendell Pierce and especially as Greer. How does a guy who uses the f-word in every second sentence become Director of the CIA? (Yes, I know he's not there now but at this pace he will never get there)

#45 ·
I'm only about half way through. Cathy being AWOL without any explanation whatsoever is very odd.
Well the entire season only took place over a matter of days, right? I know it feels like so much longer and I forget the references I heard but it was like "two days ago" when it felt like a week. I'm sure I could Google and find the time span.

#21 · (Edited)
How does a guy who uses the f-word in every second sentence become Director of the CIA?
"Formidable?"

I am watching Episode 2 right now and Jack grabs Bastos' arm (the President's Security chief) on his way out of the Presidential palace. I must have missed where he injured his arm and Jack would know about it?

Edit: Nevermind - it was the dog bite. He was the guy who killed the police chief's family.

#22 ·
I get the pros and cons of a Season Vs Episode thread when it comes to shows that release all the episodes at once.
But I enjoy discussing each episode as I go along, and can't do that in a seasonal thread since things are likely to be spoiled.
So I wait until I am done with the series and drop in, and yeah not really a lot of things discussed. I suspect it is for that exact reason.
And since it took me 10 days to get through the series, I've already forgotten things from the early episodes that I may have wanted to discuss. lol
So I'll just add that I enjoyed it for what it was, but it was not as good as Season 1 for me.

#24 ·
I liked it and thought it was very well done. My only objection was that the Harry character was really just a plot device to get Jack information that he needed. Even if you believe that he's going to sleep with a woman who essentially just batted her eyes at him, do you also believe that he would leave his passport and evidence photos laying about?

I love Wendell Pierce and I bet that real life CIA directors say words stronger than "Golly, gee willikers!".

#25 ·
I watched this over the last week or so and enjoyed it. Not as interesting as S1 but more your standard fair action/spy thriller, which I like.

As for short seasons, I am really starting to like them. It removes a lot of the unnecessary fluff and tells the story better (I'm talking about you Stumptown). I go back and forth on dropping the season at once and binging vs. weekly. On one hand, I can get through a whole season quick and if the story is compelling, then I can go right to the next episode without forgetting what happened previously. On the other hand, I have to wait in some cases more than a year until the next season, by which time I forget what happened and am "forced" to rewatch some or all of the previous season.

Back to shorter seasons, this is nothing new and not started by AP and Netflix. HBO and other premium TV channels have been doing this for at least 20 years. Maybe not 8 episodes, but certainly less than 15. The Sopranos for example were around 13 episodes per season and that started in the late 1990s.

#27 ·
...As for short seasons, I am really starting to like them. It removes a lot of the unnecessary fluff and tells the story better...
Bosch (Prime Video) is another example of tight storytelling and nicely fitting it into a 10-ep arc.

Reactions: Beryl and Craigbob
#30 ·
Streamed shows as well as many shows on cable have adopted the 10-13 episode season format. It basically becomes more of a maxi-series than a full length season of 22-25 episodes we're used to seeing on network TV. I like it because it makes it much easier to create a more cohesive story that spans the entire 10-13 episodes rather than trying to stretch things out to a full season. The major downside is that I end up watching at least twice as many series and it's near impossible to keep the overall story lines straight in my head if it only airs once a year.

I've been binging on this show all weekend and I'm about to sit down to the last episode. What gets me is that Jack Ryan has always been more of a desk jockey than a field agent. They have him behaving more like a seasoned combatant than an analyst. I wish they had introduced John Clark from the books into the mix. He's the real badass of Clancy's books.

#32 ·
Who wants to watch someone sitting behind a desk? I have only read one Tom Clancy book through (as most are really long and detailed and I admit I get bored easily with minutia) but the impression I got about Jack Ryan is exactly what you said. But, for TV, that would be boring so they made him more of a field agent. As I'm just a casual fan, I'm fine with that, but for someone who's really into the books, I could see where it might annoy you.

#35 ·
Without Remorse (which barely has Jack Ryan) was Toms best book. I wish they’d made a movie of it. WR is about how John Kelly becomes John Clark (who is a CIA operative in most the JR novels. “Uber” started out a lot like John Clark - I was hoping he’d be him)

#38 ·
Without Remorse (which barely has Jack Ryan) was Toms best book. I wish they'd made a movie of it. WR is about how John Kelly becomes John Clark (who is a CIA operative in most the JR novels. "Uber" started out a lot like John Clark - I was hoping he'd be him)
Your wish is being granted this year.

Taylor Sheridan (Sicario, Hell or High Water) adapted it and Michael B Jordan will play Clark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.