TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

City on a Hill (SHO) - Series Thread *spoilers*

6K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  markymark_ctown 
#1 · (Edited)
City on a Hill, a new series on Showtime, premiered Sunday June 16 2019.

From the wiki:

Set in Boston in the early 90s when the city was rife with violent criminals emboldened by local law enforcement agencies, in which corruption, tribalism and "taking it to the street" was the norm, until it all suddenly changed. This is a fictional account of what was called the "Boston Miracle". The change agent is District Attorney Decourcy Ward (Aldis Hodge), who comes from Brooklyn and forms an unlikely alliance with Jackie Rohr (Kevin Bacon), a corrupt yet venerated FBI veteran who is deeply invested in maintaining the status quo. Together they take on a family of armored car robbers from Charlestown (Jonathan Tucker, Mark O'Brien and James Michael Cummings) in a case that grows to encompass and eventually upend Boston's citywide criminal justice system.

The first episode was pretty good. Kevin Bacon's character is a little over-the-top, but the rest of the cast, and the story, is interesting. I have no idea if this is a mini-series or an (hopes to be) ongoing series.

Matt Damon & Ben Affleck are part of the team behind this series.

See less See more
Reactions: sharkster
#16 ·
'City on a Hill' Renewed for Season 2 at Showtime

Showtime is returning to Boston.

The premium cable network used its time before press Friday at the Television Critics Association's summer tour to announce a second season renewal for drama City on a Hill.

The pickup arrives as the Kevin Bacon and Aldis Hodge drama about 1990s crime in Boston is set to close out its rookie run on Aug. 18.

"City on a Hill is that addictive kind of meaty and messy show we love at Showtime," said Showtime entertainment president Gary Levine. "With the inspired pairing of Kevin Bacon and Aldis Hodge and the inspired writing of Tom Fontana and Chuck MacLean, we believe there is a rich future for this compelling series."

#21 ·
Watched this over the last couple of wknds. Reminded me somewhat of The Wire. Not quite up to that standard but, at times, pretty close. This was more melodramatic, more theatrical. Very well-written, the dialogue is brilliant, full of black, cynical humor. And speaking of theatrical, I thought Bacon gave an amazing performance. Yes, it's over-the-top but that's the way the character is written. Rohr is a jerk and he knows everyone knows he's a jerk so that's the way he portrays himself; he's a character acting like a character. It's a witty performance, at times very funny, at times frightening. Bacon's theatricality is perfectly contrasted with Hodges low-key, charismatic portrayal of Ward. The other standout performance for me was Jill Hennessy as Rohr's long-suffering, emotionally wounded wife.

Great series. Looking forward to a second season.

#27 ·
I started watching S2 last night, thinking I really didn't need another season of this. I liked S1, but it was over & done.

They surprised me. Good start, looks like a good story line this season, and well acted. I'm in again.

It's always amazing how sharp writing and good actors can make a series. :rolleyes:

Reactions: NorthAlabama
#31 ·
I can't confirm any episode counts. Both my usual sources (epguides & wiki) list five episodes, but I don't know if that's all they've announced, or all they're doing.

Even the renewal announcement from last August doesn't give an episode renewal number, which is unusual.

#2 ·
I finally watched E01 this morning. ITA that it looks pretty good.

LOT of actors I recognized here and was surprised to see that Damon & Affleck are producers.

I wanted to look it up on IMDb because I recognized few people but couldn't remember who they are. One is Bob Wahlberg, who I now realize I recognize from the Wahlburgers show.

Also one of the Culkin brothers. I see that Dean and Scott Winters (brothers who I first knew from HBO's OZ show and Dean has also been seen in many other shows and commercials) are going to be in one episode. James Remar and Michael O'Keefe also each in one episode, and the list goes on.

The reason I decided to watch, of course - Kevin Bacon. Looks like 10 episodes but I don't know if it's a one-and-done either.

#3 ·
The reason I decided to watch, of course - Kevin Bacon. Looks like 10 episodes but I don't know if it's a one-and-done either.
I think it's a self-contained season. But like all shows, if it's successful, expect a second season.

Some sources say seven episodes, others say ten.

#8 ·
E2 was better. KB's character isn't so in-your-face. The story is coming together.

I've already forgotten about Kinicki. Did they explain to us in E1 how that ties in to all of this?

#9 ·
Show keeps getting better, the story is really coming together. My only issue is I can't always tell who's who. To me, all Bostonians look alike. :D

#11 ·
Agree. This has just kept getting better. And I can finally tell all the Bostonians apart.

I've never been a huge Kevin Bacon fan. Don't dislike him, just never found him to be one of my "must-see" actors. But he's killing it in this.

One thing that I like about this series (and the writing) is you never really know which way the story is gonna go...

#22 ·
Binged thru this one over the past ~week. Liked it overall. Bacon's portrayal was just a tad too over the top for my taste, but as noted above no doubt written that way.

Fun see the Boston angle, landmarks, etc. "Nashua" even got a shout out, w 2nd armored car heist. Some of the accents were pretty genuine, others not so much. :) Interesting to see how many cast members were actually from Boston. Affleck and Damon buddies, I guess.

Looking forward to SE02, to see DeCourcy take down Jackie when he least expects it! :)

#25 ·
I have no idea if this is a mini-series or an (hopes to be) ongoing series.
The answer starts tonight. S2 kicks off on Showtime.

This thread didn't have a lot of action or spoilers, and it's labeled "series thread", we might as well use it for S2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.