TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Russian Doll -Season 1 - tagged spoilers only

7K views 63 replies 30 participants last post by  alpacaboy 
#1 · (Edited)
Just stumbled across this on Netflix. Fantastic show. Only 8 (not 6 as I originally said) short episodes. I've watched 3 and it's really developing well with subtle changes in each episode. Produced & some writing by Amy Poehler.

The trailer is heavily spoilery but mainly just for episode 1.

#25 ·
We watched the first episode, and I liked the premise but I agree, the lead actress and her character are annoying. And I'm usually not a fan of stories about rich, Upper East side types who live to get wasted or coked up at parties and act pretentious, and that's what this started out as. It got interesting when it became a "Groundhog Day" type story so I'll give it a couple of more. i do feel this is one of those shows that need a couple of episodes to develop.

#34 ·
I just finished and LOVED it. Funny cause I turned it on one night last week and after 5 minutes thought oh no - not for me. Mostly because I generally have a hard time with shows led by Tina Fey and/or Amy Poehler and when I saw Poehler's name I made some assumptions...

I then gave it another try and glad I did.
The introduction of Alan is what 100% made the show work for me. Charlie Barnett is fantastic in this.

#38 · (Edited)
In my memory, it didn't need a sequel. I was fine with 8 episodes and done.

@Agatha Mystery
Wait a minute...I just looked up Russian Doll on IMDB and it is a 2001 movie. Are you talking about a sequel to the 2001 Russian Doll movie, or a sequel to the Netflix series?

...it looks like season 2 of Netflix series Russian Doll isn't expected until 2020. I see no reason to end season 1 now.

#42 · (Edited)
Excellent! The 8 episodes really flew by in the 3-4 days it took for me to binge. A little on the trippy side and I loved it. I agree the ending was well done and a great pay-off.
The episode started with everything looking great and Alan and Nadia thinking they've fixed the bug. Only to realize they're now in different timelines and doing all they can to save their soul mates (don't know what else to call their deep connection). The closing shots with the split screen of the parallel timelines was a nice way to end the season.
Apparently there will be a season 2. Will be a high bar for them to cross to avoid a letdown.
I just finished it and thought it was OK. A bit too long but the last episode saved it. Lyonne was terrific though. Great performance.

Though in this universe, Groundhog Day apparently didn't exist so they spent way too much time on the early loops.

As for season 2:

I saw an article that said that they had planned a 3-season arc so I assume Netflix greenlit all 3 seasons.

#54 ·
Gear up for Season 2.

Cindy Holland, vice president of original content at Netflix, and Natasha Lyonne, the co-creator, writer, director, and star of the show, made the announcement onstage with Recode's Kara Swisher at the 2019 Code Conference in Scottsdale, Arizona, on Tuesday.

"Want to do a season two, Natasha?" Holland asked Lyonne.

"Me, Cindy? Same show, just weirder? Are you sure?" Lyonne replied. "Nadia Vulvokov is a coder, as you know, so I guess it would be somewhat appropriate to maybe have this be the time and place to say yes, very much so, I would love to do that, Cindy."

#63 ·
Wow. I'm glad I decided to check in with this thread. Season 2! (TY for the heads up)

I was a bit late to the show. I watched season 1 about ago and loved it from the first episode.

Reading through the thread I get way people don't like the Nadia character. However, I grew up on Long Island with people pretty much like that. I get that if you are from anywhere else she could come on a bit strong.

Anyway, I know what I'll be doing for the next couple of nights or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.