TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Set Tivo recording from Phone App-Issue

6K views 47 replies 18 participants last post by  raiden256 
#1 ·
I go to record a show from my phone (ios)and it schedules the recording as it always has, BUT now it seems to be recording just the SD the channel, not the HD one.

Stumped by this, I double checked this the next time I set a recording and confirmed it was set for the HD version and STILL the SD version was recorded. When it comes to channels available on my guide, the SD aren't even on there as I removed them.

I'm not positive, but I think this problem started after my app was forced to update.

Any Idea what is going on and/or how to fix this? I like the ability to set a recording when away from home.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
It’s the app.
I’ve had the same problem recording nascar off nbc sports net. Setting the timer from the app and it shows to be recording the SD channel and that is what it records on, even though the timer was set on the HD channel. If I use my slingbox or am home and set the timer from the TiVo itself, it will show to be recording the HD channel and that is what gets recorded.

#6 · (Edited)
Glad someone else FINALLY posted about this issue...& it's ALSO happening to us Andriod folks. :eek:
BUT, NOT only am I having this same problem on my Comcast cable Tivo Pro...I'm having a (slightly) similar, but even MORE problematic issue on my (2) Tivo OTA units:

I'll attempt to set a recording on one of my local network affiliates; however, after I've set it, INSTEAD of trying to record the show on the channel I selected, it chooses to set the recording to pick a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT channel#, that just happens to be running the same show at the same time, but the channel(s) it picks from, are NOT even receivable in my area!!! (usually the lowest available channel that was downloaded on initial setup) While they are in the (large) pre-loaded list of local stations that were downloaded when the Tivo's were setup, NONE are in my CIG lists. (why WOULD I put them in my CIG, since they could NOT possibly be receivable in my area) If I attempt to immediately setup another recording on the same, exact show, it goes to the next, lowest, channel running the same show - AGAIN, NOT in my CIG list! I've done this multiple times while at home on cellular data (so it simulates me being OFF my local network) & I watch it happen right on my Tivo's.

Before the last app update, I had NO problems setting up recordings on ANY of my 3 Tivo's. I'm even more surprised that I haven't seen anyone else post this issue re: OTA channels...because it's more serious than just getting an SD version of the show - you get NO show recorded!!!
Seriously, Rovi has to have THE most incompetent people running this place...at least the ones that shoved out this obviously F'ED UP app update! :mad:

#15 ·
It happened to us a few weeks ago, while my dad was trying to record the Nascar races on NBCSN. That tivo is on TE3 with both an iphone Xr, Ipad Pro and Moto G5S+ trying to set a recording from our vacation property in Las Vegas on tivo roamio in Oklahoma. After the first week recorded in SD, I went to my dads house and reset everything and tried setting a timer for the next week with my phone and it still showed recording the SD channel. I deleted it and set it with the remote while I was there and it set and recorded on the HD channel. They have been home for a week, so I haven't seen any other instances as haven't needed to use the app.

#27 ·
I can confirm this as well. I have yet to reach out to TIVO due to life keeping me busy. I will post here if I am able to get any info from them. Please do the same if you come up with anything.
I opened a ticket and got a response to reboot the Tivo and reinstall the app. That doesn't work.

In addition to the problem of recording the SD version of the program I set to record in HD, the app seems unable to schedule later airings of particular shows. I attempted to schedule a recording of a show at a later time because my tuners are occupied during the first airing but it is attempting to schedule the earlier showing, telling me that it won't record another show in order to record the newly requested one. I have not found a work around to either of these problems other than to write a note and fix it when I get home.

For those who frequently schedule recordings from outside of home, the app has become mostly useless. I don't have any faith in a quick fix either.

#28 ·
I sure don't think I've ever had this problem..

but have you guys tried going into the show and then going Get -> Upcoming and choosing a HD channel that way?

I have used that, even with the new version, a few times to specifically change a recording between SD <> HD channels..
I record at least prime time shows almost always in HD nowadays.. but if I'm near full, sometimes will change a "backup" recording for something that is on Hulu for example to SD just to save space.. or for a very few OPs that I have record SD, I have changed back to HD for a particular episode for some reason..

and I used the method above, and never have noticed it record the wrong one.
The phone app DOES still have the problem that the native Tivo GUI does when you have multiple HD channels selected (e.g. the mirrored versions of the network channels), where it can show you the wrong # there sometimes.. but actually I think that is LESS prevalent than it is actually at the Tivo itself. (For example, I'm most familiar with the 700-set of HD channels.. but when Comcast did the remapping thing, there are 1000-versions of most.. I just haven't gotten used to remembering most of them, so have both checked in many cases.. which confuses the Tivo UI a bit).

#29 ·
Update:

Ok, I finally called TIVO and spent about 25 minutes with them on the phone. A few random notes here, but still no solution. Wondering if anyone here can provide some insight.

I have a 4 tuner Roamio Basic, Tivo mini4k version and a tivo STREAM.

First off the CSR said that if my phone (I have an IOS) is not connected to the internet, I am not able to schedule recordings- which is not accurate as I can currently do this and have done it before. I realize there is a difference in ability to stream over data (android can, IOS cannot) Before the app Update by TIVO there were no issues, but now there have been for a month or two.

Of course the problem is that even though I can select a channel to record (and it says it is the HD channel) it records the SD channel. The example is I select channel 701, but it records channel 70.

They had me do a reset to my app on my phone and make and adjustment to my tivo box, but it didn't change anything. One thing I have not done is retry to schedule a recording while connected to wifi at another location. I have to see if there is any change with this. Tivo said there is nothing they can do. It's obviously frustrating as it takes away one of the reasons one likes to own a tivo and a major benefit.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for getting this to work? I have not updated to hyrda, might that make a difference? Is this somehow related to using an independent tivo stream instead of having a tivo model with streaming built in?

Would love any and all feedback/suggestions

#30 ·
Of course the problem is that even though I can select a channel to record (and it says it is the HD channel) it records the SD channel. The example is I select channel 701, but it records channel 70.
Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for getting this to work? I have not updated to hyrda, might that make a difference? Is this somehow related to using an independent tivo stream instead of having a tivo model with streaming built in?
Unfortunately as others have reported this appears to be a bug in the app.

TiVo mobile version 4.2.0 is out

Scott

#32 · (Edited)
I've done that since I setup my Roamio Pro on day 1...it STILL goes to (unchecked) SD channels!

I DO want to mention something that might possibly help, though...if you are on Comcast, you know that Comcast has duplicated ALL their legacy channel #'s, in their +1000 MCLU listings. These channels are arranged, so that if a given channel is in HD, ONLY the HD version is placed in this range, while any SD-only channels are also in this range.
New Channel Lineup Frequently Asked Questions

Normally I don't use these numbers, because I already have the legacy #'s memorized. But when I was away from home recently, I decided to give a shot at using the MCLU #'s on my Andriod app, to see where it would actually decide to prog the recording. I was trying to prog a show on our local ABC, which is on ch 1020 (MCLU)...instead, the Tivo programmed itself on ch 908, which at least IS the HD version that I normally would use instead. :confused:
I'm wondering if part of the problem that Tivo is having, is due to Comcast having all these duplicate ch #'s & is causing confusing in Tivo's back-end website programming to the Tivo boxes?
Whatever the case, Tivo still obviously has LOTS of problems with their apps...which they did NOT have before that awful October update! :mad:

Oh & on my OTA Tivo's...same TOTAL BS, where if I try prog a show on our local affiliates, it programs the same show, on another affiliate NOT even on my ch list & WAY outside our local market - TOTAL CLUSTER-#%CK!!! :mad:

#34 ·
I reported this bug a few weeks ago (even though I knew others had reported it already) because I was so frustrated. After a couple of useless back-and-forths with the usual "solution" of reboot, reinstall, etc, TiVo actually called *me* (twice) because they wanted to get more info. I spent at least 30 minutes recreating the bug several times for them (and discovered that it only happens on some HD channels, not all). He had me enable extra logging so they could get all possible info and it was uploaded to their server.

I don't know if anything will come of it, but given all the reports of horrible TiVo support (which I certainly believe), it was encouraging that they actually called me (I didn't ask them to) to try to get to the bottom of this.

#35 · (Edited)
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.. and that linked page (I didn't read the OTHER thread that page links to) doesn't seem to relate to me.
Are you on Comcast??? If not, then it would NOT relate to you at all.
Here IS the link I meant to post, sorry for the error...maybe this will make more sense: :oops: (I've corrected the link in my previous post)
New Channel Lineup Frequently Asked Questions

From this above link:
How will you handle SD and HD channels in the channel lineup?
The 1000+ channels will mostly consist of HD channels. When there is not an HD channel available for a certain network, an SD channel will be broadcast.

Do you mean SD only as in a channel that has ONLY SD and NO HD VERSION?
Exactly what I mean...& most Comcast systems have lots of regular SD-only channels that I watch (unfortunately :mad: )

#38 ·
6 months later and the app still records only SD versions of channels when programmed outside the home network despite my having only HD versions checked as received. This is on FIOS. Doesn’t happen for every channel but most. Does this affect users not on Fios too? I can’t believe they can’t get the app to record the channel number you tell it to record by now.

#42 ·
I still can't set a recording with my phone or online without it recording a channel I don't get and do not have checked.
I.E. I set a recording for 8pm on KUTV-2, it picks some random translator station KUTV2 that is over 200 miles away.
This is on my Bolt or Roamio(s) that only receive OTA.
My OTA was doing the same thing until tonight. On a whim I decided to REPEAT GUIDED SETUP and once I finished up by checking all the correct channels in CHANNEL SETUP, voila!...the app works as it should.

Hope that helps.

#45 ·
I re-ran guided setup and my channel list was already set up as it had been before, it didn't load all channels by default. Maybe it only does that on an OTA? I have a Roamio Pro. After rerunning guided setup and then trying to set a recording from my iPhone app (disconnected from my network) it still recorded the SD channel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.