TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

The new iPad/iOS TiVo app (4.1)

9K views 61 replies 37 participants last post by  DrewTivo 
#1 ·
Dear TiVo,

You might want to look at the latest reviews you are getting on the App Store - the vast majority are angry, indeed furious, one star reviews demanding reverting to the old version. At a minimum you should release the old one as "TiVo Classic".

I've barely used the new one - but one immediate reaction - the new remote control - are you kidding? It looks like something designed by a 5th grader. The old one was very nice, and reflected the appearance of the hardware TiVo remote.

Yes, I just saw that there has been a beta program for it, etc. but I may be a regular TiVo user, but I hadn't really looked at this forum since I originally signed up in 2014 right before I bought my Roamio - because everything was working fine - why bother. Now I am bothered - bad reason to become involved...

#4 ·
OP, you're addressing Tivo in your first line, but this is not a Tivo supported board, we're independent.

My only issue with the new app is they buried the box selector in the settings menu and took it away from the home screen, I use the ipad app to manage 3 units and having to go back into settings every time to go look at their respective ToDo lists is frustrating.

#7 · (Edited)
The new version streams significantly better than the legacy version. Streaming on the legacy app was unusable, now it is almost bullet proof stable for me when I am traveling.
Channel Grid draw time and My Shows draw time is mind blowingly faster than the legacy app.

I have heard a rumor that they dropped support for the Series 3 models and one of the reason for the one star reviews, but other then that, all around it is significantly better.

As for the remote, it has buttons and they work as expected. Nothing amazing about it, but I didn't see anything amazing about the last one either. Check that, on the legacy app I had to scroll the skeuomorphic peanut remote up and down in order to access all the buttons. 1) that was annoying as hell and 2) skeuomorphic design is and should be dead.

Reactions: jrtroo and tim1724
#15 · (Edited)
For me, it's completely useless at the moment on my iPad Pro 10.5": TiVo iOS app 4.1.0 crashing on launch on iPad Pro 10.5", iOS 12.0.

I upgraded to iOS 12.0.1 (not because I thought it'd help) and it made no difference. Still crashes on launch. I could try deleting the app and reinstalling (to troubleshoot) but that means I lose every recording I'd downloaded to the device. Remembering what to re-download is tough and it's very slow to d/l.

It works on my other 2 iOS devices, but my iPhone 8 has a MUCH smaller screen and my iPad mini 2 has extremely limited storage as it's only a 16 gig model w/almost no room left.

The previous versions of the app (e.g. 3.7) used to work totally fine on the aforementioned iPad Pro 10.5".

#30 ·
Ok well I'm an idiot. LOL. Silly me. Yeah it works just fine and is better there than it was in the older version. Thank you.

Reactions: sangs
#43 ·
I have been very disappointed with the new app. Simply deleting shows is now a multi-step process as is changing TIVO boxes. Why? That's a basic function that worked well in the old app. Trying to sign in from outside your home network has failed every single time I've tried it and that's how I use this app most often when I've forgotten a show.

#61 ·
I've experienced the same problem on several occasions, including last night with Monday Night Football on ESPN-HD. On the few times I've seen the problem, I set up a recording using the app from outside my local network. I've never encountered when interacting with the box directly nor when using the app from my local network (that may be significant or may just be a coincidence).

When I select the show to record, I'm sure I select the HD version of the show from the guide. The resulting recording was in SD and it's metadata showed it was recorded from the SD version of the channel. The HD channel is in My Channels; the SD channel is not, so there's no way I just accidentally selected the wrong version of the show without realizing it.

I reported this in a separate thread here: Request HD show via TiVo app. I get the Lo-Def version
I can confirm same as you, when setting up a recording via the iPhone/iPad app at home on the same network as my TiVo, it records the correct HD channel. When away from the home network, it records the SD channel (and the SD channles are not part of my channel list either, for whatever that's worth).

#2 ·
Agree completely. Not only is the app hard to use on the iPhone, but the streaming seems to fail completely in the evening, 8PM central time. A sign in at that time gives a message of connection failure with no way to get out without powering down and signing in again only to repeat the connection failure. I tried everything including powering down the phone, the TiVo, the router, and deleting the app and reinstalling it. If I leave the app with the connection failure screen in place until the next morning and reopen it the failure screen comes up and immediately switches to the my programs screen and is ready to stream. It’s almost as if TiVo servers overload and go into a failure mode during prime time. This is an original Bolt hooked up to an outdoor antenna trying to stream programs recorded from the antenna with 100% signal strength, so no cable signal issues. This is probably the long term future for TiVo so they better get it fixed.

#5 ·
Dear TiVo,

You might want to look at the latest reviews you are getting on the App Store - the vast majority are angry, indeed furious, one star reviews demanding reverting to the old version. At a minimum you should release the old one as "TiVo Classic".

I've barely used the new one - but one immediate reaction - the new remote control - are you kidding? It looks like something designed by a 5th grader. The old one was very nice, and reflected the appearance of the hardware TiVo remote.

Yes, I just saw that there has been a beta program for it, etc. but I may be a regular TiVo user, but I hadn't really looked at this forum since I originally signed up in 2014 right before I bought my Roamio - because everything was working fine - why bother. Now I am bothered - bad reason to become involved...
Funny, I deleted the old app a long time ago as it did not work well for me. Then just yesterday I was considering downloading the app again for a specific use but read the 100's of 1 star reviews and decided not to. Thanks for the timely feedback.

#6 ·
FWIW, I find the new app to have improved some things, also with some regressions (the already-noted box selector being buried in settings is a big one for me personally). I actually really prefer the new remote control functionality. It's much easier to hit those buttons, and they have included a dedicated button for skip(channel Up always worked as well, but wasn't intuitive), as well as the back button that is essential for Hydra users. I would have prefered a black background for it, but that's more of a nitpick. I definitely do not prefer a skeuomorphic design for the TiVo remote (duplicating the useless power, volume/mute and input buttons).

I've had two iphone plus models, and currently have the xs, and until the new release, hated the way it looked on those screens. Having the app layout actually fit and fill the screen correctly, as well as a properly sized keyboard, are huge improvements.

There's additional relevant discussion(both pro and con) going on at ZatzNotFunny: New TiVo Experience Hits Mobile Apps

#8 ·
I find the new app much better than the old. More responsive generally, but specifically with respect to in home streaming.

I don't mind the new format for the remote. I rarely use the remote on my phone or iPad--the 'real' remote has touch feel for the buttons and I often don't even look at the remote while using it.

Guess I'll have to do an App Store review to try to balance things out a bit.

#16 ·
For anyone that has TiVo through their cable provider, and said provider is a member of NCTC, you can download the VU-IT! app and login with your cable tv credentials. Using this app gives you the prior version of the TiVo app which still works great for me. There’s too many issues with the latest version for me to even use it so I deleted it.

#24 ·
I have a Premiere and Stream and I updated to the 4.1 TiVo app. Setting up streaming is much faster and more reliable. The UI is different.

But I do have a question about Bookmarks. I don't have Hydra so they're new to me. If I "Bookmark" a program instead of recording it, it just dumps a "bookmark" of it in a folder for what I'm assuming is reminding me to watch it if it becomes available on a streaming service? Is that correct?

#25 ·
Unless I am blind and just not seeing it, when playing back shows downloaded to my iPhone 8 +, I no longer have a 30-sec skip button. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

#26 ·
The only issue I've had is it somehow recorded a show on a channel I have unselected (the SD version) which I found to be irritating.
On Tuesday early afternoon, I was trying to remotely set up a recording for the World Series (game 1) and it said recording successfully set up but was showing the SD channel for my lineup (which I too had removed from my "channels I receive"). Wednesday afternoon I attempted the same thing for game 2 and it worked fine. I was, however, on my home network at the time but that shouldn't make a difference.

#32 ·
Thanks for making feel better! [emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Has anyone else noticed that the Downloads list has no kind of order — just a last-downloaded-on-bottom sequence — and programs in a series aren’t grouped into folders as they are when listing shows recorded on the TiVo box itself? And there is no control for alphabetical vs. chronological? Or is just my iPhone and my iPad?

I’m finding the downloading capability of this new app to be a giant step backward in usability (and no more robust than before — what the heck is an “Error 59:-1”?)

If it isn’t just me, does anyone know if TiVo is aware? Are they working on a fix?

#36 · (Edited)
I'm finding the downloading capability of this new app to be a giant step backward in usability (and no more robust than before - what the heck is an "Error 59:-1"?)

If it isn't just me, does anyone know if TiVo is aware? Are they working on a fix?
Same here. This update is a hot mess!
Indeed. Besides the UI changes (which I'm not as bothered by as severe functional probs), it seems like both the iOS and Android update are terrible.

As I said, the app crashes after launch on my largest capacity and fastest iPad (Pro 10.5" w/iOS 12 and 12.0.1). I already posted about that and opened a ticket w/TiVo. I've been too busy to followup. I could delete the app and reinstall to troubleshoot but that'd mean all my downloads would be wiped. I may bite the bullet and do this if no update comes soon to fix the crashing. I'm keeping it in this state partly to see if their fix (if it ever comes) works.

It works ok on my very limited storage 16 gig iPad mini 2 but that has almost no room.

The Android version on my Nexus 9 is lousy. I had a bunch of downloads and they all refused to play with some error w/negative numbers. I should've grabbed a screenshot. Killing and relaunching the app didn't help. IIRC, a reboot of the device "fixed" it.

On Android, it also has intermittently insanely long launch times or takes FOREVER to actually display UI (so that I can play) after I select a downloaded recording.

Besides this, I'd rather not use a slow old tablet (Nexus 9) or have to resort to a slow old tablet w/not enough room (iPad mini 2) or resort to my phones, which have small screens (iPhone 8 or Pixel 3).

Before all this, the TiVo iOS app was working just fine on my 64 gig iPad Pro 10.5". Ugh.

#38 ·
Tivo really has it out for me. First they broke Suggestions on Hydra (no longer uses thumbs to recommend movies). Now they removed my favorite feature in the iPhone App, where I could quickly see movies I might like that were starting soon (What to Watch Next? I forget what it was called). Is something similar hidden somewhere or do they just hate me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.