TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Please confirm my understanding of what I'm getting into with Tivo

2K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  krkaufman 
#1 ·
I'm ready to dump my Cox boxes and DVR service and go with Tivo Bolt + minis, but I want to make sure I understand correctly what I'm getting into. I'd be grateful if any of you experienced Tivo users could confirm my understanding of how this all works.

My current situation is that I have cable service with Cox, from whom I rent 3 DVRs, and pay for DVR service on each.

So now I buy a Tivo Bolt 3TB and two Tivo Mini Voxes, and return the 3 cable boxes to Cox. I cancel the Cox DVR service and instead buy a single Tivo one-year service for $149.99 (no additional service plans necessary for the Minis).

I rent a CableCARD from Cox for $2/month, and install the card in my new Bolt.

I attach the Bolt to the TV nearest my router, establishing a MoCA network by connecting the coax cable from the wall to the Bolt, and using an ethernet cable to connect the Bolt to my router.

For the other two TVs in separate rooms, I connect the Minis to the MoCA network by connecting the cable from the wall to the Mini.

After activating and setting up the Tivo devices, I can use the DVR service on any of the 3 TVs to schedule, record, play back, etc. shows that I receive via Cox cable. Since the Bolt 3TB has 6 tuners, we can watch a different channel simultaneously on each of the three TVs, and still be able to record up to 3 additional channels at the same time.

I can continue to use Cox On Demand as described here -- https://support.tivo.com/articles/App_Information/Cox-On-DEMAND-Requirements.

I can stream or download shows to my tablet or laptop using a wireless connection.

Costs:

My current costs (from my Cox bill) are:

DVR service (qty 3) $38.97
Advanced TV HD DVR Receiver (qty 2) $17.00
Contour Receiver $ 8.50

The Contour receiver is a Cisco 8642HDC, which draws about 26 watts (about the same whether "on" or "standby"), and the other two are Motorola DCH3416, which draw about 32 watts. So we use about 67 KWH a month on the boxes -- (90 watts * 24 hours * 31 days) / 1000 = 67 KWH. Our marginal rate for electricity (delivery and generation combined) is 24 cents per KWH, so we pay about $16 a month to run the boxes -- 67 KWH * .24 = $16.08.

My new Tivo equipment uses considerably less power than my previous boxes, about 15 watts for the Bolt and about 5 watts each for the two Minis, so my monthly energy costs for DVRs is reduced from about $16 to about $4.50.

The $25.50 I was spending each month for box rental is replaced by $2/month for the CableCARD.

The $38.97/month I was paying to Cox for DVR service on each box, is replaced by $12.50 single DVR service to Tivo ($149.99 annual service divided by 12).

In summary, my overall monthly cost comparison is as follows:

Before After
Rental $25.50 $2.00
Service $38.97 $12.50
Energy $16.00 $4.50
------ ------
total $80.47 $19.00

So, I achieve a monthly savings of $61.47.

My initial outlay for equipment is $500 for the Bolt and $180 each for the two Minis, totaling $927 after sales tax. I may also want to add an extended warranty, since Tivo equipment seems to be pretty unreliable (34% 1-star reviews on Amazon). With my monthly savings, I break even after 15 months, if my new equipment lasts that long.

Please correct any misunderstanding I may have, or let me know of anything I may be missing or that would be useful to know for a new Tivo user.

Thanks,
RW

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm ready to dump my Cox boxes and DVR service and go with Tivo Bolt + minis, but I want to make sure I understand correctly what I'm getting into. I'd be grateful if any of you experienced Tivo users could confirm my understanding of how this all works.
My current situation is that I have cable service with Cox, from whom I rent 3 DVRs, and pay for DVR service on each.
Thanks,
RW
You will get better responses if you can add a few items:
Why? Just to save money?
Are you technically savvy?
Your location?
Do you have free time to maintain everything? With Cox help is just a call away. If it breaks, they fix it.

You have done a lot of research. I wish it was simple as new hardware. I'm sure others will jump in to help. I envy you. A chance to take a journey into the world of TiVo. :)

#4 ·
The main reason is to save money over the long haul. I also hate my Cox box, which gives me problems.
I guess I'm moderately tech savy -- I've built a few PCs, set up a home network, etc. Why, is it that hard to set up and configure Tivo equipment?
I'm in Orange County, CA.
I'm unemployed and likely to remain that way, so yes, I have time to fiddle with things. I assume in asking that you are confirming that the Tivos are unreliable and need a lot of work.

#5 ·
Thanks, it looks like I will need this for Cox. Apparently some of their channels are SDV, although it's hard to find out which ones. Can you buy these, or must you rent from cable provider? I searched on Amazon and the stuff that came up didn't look like what I asked for.

#8 ·
I thought about that, but it would increase my break-even time to 20 months. That seems like a long time to recoup my investment when things are changing so rapidly with available streaming options, etc. I think an even bigger risk is if the box craps out and I have to get a new one -- I don't suppose the All-In plan transfers to a new box if the old one is no longer under warranty.

You're right though, I hadn't thought of the fact that if I sold the box, I'd be selling the plan with it.

#11 ·
I haven’t had any reliability issues with the hardware. I went with TiVo many years ago as they were leaps above the Scientific Atlanta crap that Comcast used. I upgraded to a Roamio when the minis became available and haven’t regretted it.

In my mind the biggest concern I’d have is lifetime of the technology. I think the math still works in that you’ll recoup your investment and easily come out ahead.

#12 ·
I believe your plan will include the New GUI or VOX aka HYDRA series which some like and a good number do not love. If you are unfamiliar with the older Tivos, you will have nothing to compare it to. The new HYDRA series can be downgraded, but you will lose your recordings unless you are able to back them up first.
If your main motivation is to save money, you might want to consider going for a previous series Roamio Pro with lifetime/all in included which can be found for good prices right now. These can be upgraded to the HYDRA software with the purchase of a newer VOX remote if you like.

#16 · (Edited)
If your main motivation is to save money, you might want to consider going for a previous series Roamio Pro with lifetime/all in included which can be found for good prices right now. These can be upgraded to the HYDRA software with the purchase of a newer VOX remote if you like.
Ditto the recommendation to consider used Roamio Plus or Pro units, with or without Lifetime service plan included.

Example eBay search

edit: p.s. Note that a Roamio Plus is identical to a Roamio Pro except in the capacity of the included hard drive:

Plus = 1TB
Pro = 3TB​

... and the drives (3.5" form factor for all pre-BOLT TiVo's) are easily and cheaply upgradable.

#14 ·
My failures were all related to normal wear and tear. The TiVo HD were only replaced to increase my storage space. In regards to reliability I'd place mine at around 99% with one unexpected reboot while recording and several missed shows due to bad guide data. But, that hasn't happened in awhile.

Come here for advice, don't waste it at TiVo tech support.

#15 ·
Hardware is reliable. Some of us are less confident about the software, and that's mostly because the guide data on which it bases its decisions is (are?) itself unreliable. This might not be a concern at all for you, depending on how much you expect the unit to do for you on its own.

#17 · (Edited)
I rent a CableCARD from Cox for $2/month, and install the card in my new Bolt.

I attach the Bolt to the TV nearest my router, establishing a MoCA network by connecting the coax cable from the wall to the Bolt, and using an ethernet cable to connect the Bolt to my router.

For the other two TVs in separate rooms, I connect the Minis to the MoCA network by connecting the cable from the wall to the Mini.
Tuning adapter on the Bolt for any SDV channels.
A couple caveats Re: the MoCA setup...
  • Tuning Adapter - The MoCA-enabled BOLT must not be connected via coax through the TA's pass-through coax port, as MoCA signals are severely attenuated via this path; a splitter should be used to connect both devices directly to the coax plant. A MoCA filter may be needed on the TA's coax input to protect the TA from MoCA signals, and vice versa.
  • A "PoE" MoCA filter needs to be installed at the Cox signal's Point-of-Entry (PoE) into your home, ideally on the input of the first split encountered by the signal (often in a junction box on the side of the house). The MoCA filter installed at the PoE both secures and strengthens your MoCA network.
  • Ideally all coax connectors would be MoCA-compatible. You may want to review the components in place connecting your coax runs; and you'll definitely want to do so if you have issues getting MoCA working.
  • Once the hardware's all prepped, the BOLT would be setup as a MoCA bridge, the Mini's as MoCA clients.

#18 ·
A couple caveats Re: the MoCA setup...
  • Tuning Adapter - The MoCA-enabled BOLT must not be connected via coax through the TA's pass-through coax port, as MoCA signals are severely attenuated via this path; a splitter should be used to connect both devices directly to the coax plant. A MoCA filter may be needed on the TA's coax input to protect the TA from MoCA signals, and vice versa.
  • A "PoE" MoCA filter needs to be installed at the Cox signal's Point-of-Entry (PoE) into your home, ideally on the input of the first split encountered by the signal (often on a junction box on the side of the house). The MoCA filter installed at the PoE both secures and strengthens your MoCA network.
  • Ideally all coax connectors would be MoCA-compatible. You may want to review the components in place connecting your coax runs; and you'll definitely want to do so if you have issues getting MoCA working.
  • Once the hardware's all prepped, the BOLT would be setup as a MoCA bridge, the Mini's as MoCA clients.
Thanks for the tip. I found instructions from Cox online, and fortunately it looks like their TA kit includes the additional components you mentioned, and full instructions on connecting them.

Thanks also for the suggestion about used Roamios with lifetime plan. I didn't realize the Pros had 6 tuners, which my wife seems to think we need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.