TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Recording History > 28 Days?

791 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  whoareyou_1999 
#1 ·
TiVo used to keep track of recording history for 28 days. Has this changed?

I have several season passes that are setup for New & Reruns, but in history, TiVo seems to be flagging episodes as Duplicate long after the 28 day limit. It used to record a particular episode once and then not record it again for 28 days, but now it seems to record an episode once and then never again or at least not for a much longer period of time. I have not had any issues with season passes that are setup for New Only or Everything.

Has anyone else noticed this? I did a few searches and didn't find any similar discussions.

I'm sure that the first question people will ask is why would you want to do that. Well, there are several local stations that rerun the same old shows over and over again, and I like to watch them from time to time, but if I'm not in the mood to watch a particular episode today, I used to be able to delete it knowing that it would be re-recorded in a month or so, and I could watch it then if I felt like it, but that no longer seems to be happening. After the show is initially recorded, TiVo does not seem to want to record it again unless I change the season pass to Everything, but that does not work very well because the same episodes often air multiple times within the same day, or week, or month. Recording once every 28 days used to work great, so what happened? Is this a side effect of switching guide providers or something to do with the latest software?

See less See more
#7 ·
When I've had this issue and switched to "Record everything," my TiVo box ends up making 4 recordings of my PBS shows (2 sub-channels, each broadcasting the show and with a repeat overnight), day-after-day. Do-able, but irritating in having to manually delete the extras each day, for each show being recorded.

#8 ·
The show is on constantly, multiple channels and times within any 28 day period. ...And the problem with setting this show to "everything" means that my Roamio will be flooded with duplicated recordings at all different hours and channels. Only option is to manually set recordings.
You might want to try changing the OnePass to only record episodes from one specific channel. I have done that in a few cases. It does not resolve the issue completely, but it helps to cut down on the number of duplicates. It was easier with Season Passes since you could create multiple Season Passes for the same show on different channels, but as far as I know, there is no way to create multiple OnePasses for the same show. It would be nice if TiVo modified the OnePass feature to allow that again.

#9 ·
Thanks for suggestion. Already have done that on occasion in combination with manual and it does help. Whatever the problem is, I wish this could just be fixed.

What I would like is an option to record everything, with some mechansim to avoid recording duplicates. I really don't understand why if something is in My Shows, it needs to be re-recorded if I don't want that to happen.

#2 ·
The New option will record also shows with generic guide data as well as shows Tivo "Thinks" is new. If you do not want shows with generic data and only from the current/last season, set into the options for the Onepass, "Start from: Season X" as well as record "Everything"

Using just New will record just new and duplicates does not record unless it appears again.

My preference is to set Starting from current season and Everything. The duplicate shows will also get recorded and only from the starting season.

#3 ·
I am experiencing this also. I decided to Google the issue today, and I came across this post. I have set up a Season pass for older programs like Mannix on Me.TV. It recorded every episode from every season - once. And then the Season pass stopped recording anything. It certainly took more than 28 days to record and watch all 194 episodes. When I look at the season pass Upcoming episodes, I see several, but none are set to record.

Season pass is set to record from Season 1, New and reruns, and keep All.

This has happened on other season passes and WishLists also.

In general this does not bother me - I only want to watch every episode once - but I am wondering why the software is not working as expected.

#4 ·
I am experiencing this also. I decided to Google the issue today, and I came across this post. I have set up a Season pass for older programs like Mannix on Me.TV. It recorded every episode from every season - once. And then the Season pass stopped recording anything. It certainly took more than 28 days to record and watch all 194 episodes. When I look at the season pass Upcoming episodes, I see several, but none are set to record.

Season pass is set to record from Season 1, New and reruns, and keep All.

This has happened on other season passes and WishLists also.

In general this does not bother me - I only want to watch every episode once - but I am wondering why the software is not working as expected.
Same issue for me, and I would like this to work properly, or have someone explain why this is not a bug.

In my case it's Two 1/2 Men. The show is on constantly, multiple channels and times within any 28 day period. I am starting to suspect this type of scheduling erroneously triggers the "duplicate" rule because there is always a "duplicate" within the 28 day period.

And the problem with setting this show to "everything" means that my Roamio will be flooded with duplicated recordings at all different hours and channels. Only option is to manually set recordings.
TIVO support was of no help, but perhaps I wasn't clearly explaining the situation to them.

#5 ·
The option is to set to include duplicates/everything in the pass options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.