TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Vox remote won't pair with mini

6K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  John Meno 
#1 ·
I use my Roamio Plus in the office where the router, etc is, then have minis in the other rooms. I got a vox remote with the dongle and can't get it to pair with the 2 minis I've tried. It will pair with the Roamio fine. I have a slide remote that pairs fine with the same minis (using its own dongle).

I did get it to pair once but then couldn't control anything and had to reboot the mini. On the bedroom mini I don't get anything so it doesnt seem like the living room mini is the problem.

I've tried the tivo+back reset and tivo+tv power reset with no changes.

Anyone else using a vox remote with minis or having problems?

#2 ·
@rhoelzer I'm also having problems. I've tried 3 different remotes/USB dongles on 2 different minis (I have 7 Minis in my house). I've yet to get it to work.

@TiVo_Ted Have you guys found anything that might be preventing this from pairing? I'm assuming 1st generation Minis are able to use the voice remote?

#7 ·
I had this issue too. Do a global reset on your remote and all should be good.

1. Cover the end of the TiVo remote control with your hand.
  2. Press the TiVo button and the TV Power button simultaneously until the light at the end of the remote comes on.
  3. Press Thumbs Down 3 times, followed by Enter. The remote light should go out. If the light does not go out, repeat this step.
NOTE: If the incorrect button is pressed, press Clear to start over.

#8 ·
Thanks for the information but it was of no help. The Vox remote refuses to pair with my Mini Vox. This reset procedure does not help.

#13 ·
The reset procedure linked above works for the Mini Vox and "I Think" should work with the second generation Mini (the one with the RF built in - A93xxxx TSNs), as well as the Roamios.

The original Mini doesn't support the RF remote natively, so the reset procedure I posted won't won't work for those boxes until/unless TiVo enables that functionality for them (presuming the RF/BT dongle is present).

#14 ·
It certainly appears that the v1 (A92) Minis are not loading the software to activate the BT dongle. After getting nowhere with 3 different Minis, I tried the dongle on one of our Roamio Pros and it paired almost instantly. Then went back to the Mini, did a global reset, and got nothing. I then put the remote and my iPad in pairing mode and the iPad saw the remote, and the remote tried to pair (but, of course, timed out). So it seems the remote will try to pair with ANY BT host, but of course will be unsuccessful without the correct response. What all this seems to indicate is that the dongles are never even getting turned on attached to an A92 mini.

I have moved the Vox remote to the other Pro, where it is working fine, but I bought it for use with a Mini. If this doesn't get resolved soon, I'll send it back and get another Slide Pro.

#20 ·
I installed my Mini Vox last night. After updating the software, initializing, etc., I was unable to pair the remote. I did a reset of the Mini (clear/enter/clear/221/clear) and reset the remote. Still unable to pair it. I went back about 2 hours later and it automatically paired the first time I used it. Maybe it needs some time? @TiVo_Ted

#21 ·
My first generation Mini Paired fairly quickly. Only problem is a handful of buttons wouldn't work (most notably the Tivo button). Still getting the V66 error on Mini anyway so using it at all is still frustrating.

#26 · (Edited)
Hello - I have an A92 Mini and also am experiencing the BT pair issue. I tried everything in the thread and then called the dreaded tech support. After 45 minutes of troubleshooting (including just about everything we tried here) and also confirming that the VOX remote itself works (paired to my Bolt no problem) the tech acknowledged that they have a known issue here and that the engineers are working for a "speedy" resolution (of course he could not give me exact timing). He opened a case for me and it is logged in my tivo account. Typical release before you test scenario! Hoping they resolve soon.

#28 ·
Yes. My remotes are working with the latest RC9 update.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#36 ·
My Son received the mini vox for Christmas. We finally got it up and running with Hydra today. I tried to pair the remote for the first time and the lights flashed 5 times like it was supossed to when it's paired. After that the remote only controls the TV. It does nothing when I press any Tivo functions. Now the remote is basically useless. I was on the phone with customer support and they are sending me a new remote. Hopefully that works. I'm confused though with the dongle that was mentioned above. My older slide remote's came with the dongle. I don't believe a dongle was included with the mini vox. Can someone let me know if I missed something?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.