TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Failed while negotiating S2

6K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  HomeUser 
#1 ·
My Series2 greeted me with the "Program info is running low" message tonight. I have not been able to connect to the Tivo service since August 22. I read a thread here from 2013 which identified this issue as a Tivo server problem. Is this a Tivo server issue again?

My S2 is connected directly to my router via ethernet. I verified that the cable is good and I tried a different port on my router. I restarted the S2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Try going to settings & Messages / Network / Connect to Tivo Service
The path is not exact as I do not have a S2 any more, but approximate.

After it finishes connecting, post a picture before you go back to previous menu screen.

#4 ·
I can post a picture but it doesn't give more info than I've already provided.

Connecting [Screen]

Network connection unsuccessful.
Preparing (Done)

Connecting (Failed while negotiating)

It ends the operation at this point without

There's no error code, just (Failed while negotiating).

On the Network Connection screen I see

Last Status: Failed
Failed while negotiating

#5 ·
Network connection unsuccessful.

How are you connected to your network? It looks like you are not connected at all.

#6 ·
"Network Connection Unsuccessful" refers to the fact that Tivo couldn't connect to the Tivo service not that it couldn't connect to my network.

My S2 is connected to my router via ethernet. This connection is visible on my network. I am able to transfer between S2 and Premiere. The S2 is connected to my network.

I verified my ethernet cable is good. I also switched ports on my router.

My Premiere connects to my network via a wireless G adapter without a problem. I will try connecting the S2 via wireless G.

#7 ·
Can you set your browser to go to your Tivo's IP address? It would be starting with 192.168.x.x. (Replace x with the proper numbers). This is a test to see if the network connection still works. You should see a page with the Tivo icon.

#8 ·
I am also having the issue with failure to negotiate (stuck on the second line in the connection). There is no guide and the Netflix does not work. I rest the network and the Tivo is connected by Ethernet. There is Internet and I am able to get the Tivo screen from my browser when I enter the assigned IP address in my network.

#9 · (Edited)
Ok.

When was the last time you rebooted your router? I would suggest that you do that now because even though things still work for your other networked devices, there may be some underlying issues that prevent the Tivo from working properly. It wouldn't hurt to try when you have issues.

#12 ·
Verify I have this correct
Summery:
- S2 TiVo gets assigned an IP from a router.
- S2's My shows can be seen from a PC.
- S2 can see and share programs with a Premiere the Premiere can connect to TiVo.
- The S2's TiVo service connection completes "Preparing" then fails during "Connecting" with "Network Connection Unsuccessful".
- You have rebooted both the router and DVR with no deference.
- You have tried with the S2 connected to a different port on the router.

As far as I can see network connections look good and should work.
Is there any information in System Info that may be a clue?
- TiVo Service account status:
- TiVoToGo:
- Do you get a different error if the connection to the Internet is down? Disconnect the cable modem or DSL router.
- Check the status of the DVR on you're account at tivo.com

#13 ·
Verify I have this correct
Summery:
- S2 TiVo gets assigned an IP from a router.
- S2's My shows can be seen from a PC.
- S2 can see and share programs with a Premiere the Premiere can connect to TiVo.
- The S2's TiVo service connection completes "Preparing" then fails during "Connecting" with "Network Connection Unsuccessful". [Response is "Failed while negotiating"]
- You have rebooted both the router and DVR with no deference.
- You have tried with the S2 connected to a different port on the router.

As far as I can see network connections look good and should work.
Is there any information in System Info that may be a clue?
- TiVo Service account status:
- TiVoToGo:
- Do you get a different error if the connection to the Internet is down? Disconnect the cable modem or DSL router.
- Check the status of the DVR on you're account at tivo.com
The only thing you had wrong in your recap is the response on the Connecting line. "Connection Unsuccessful" appears above Preparing:

The Preparing task completes. Connecting: fails to complete with the response

Connecting (Failed while negotiating)

As to your other questions

Account Status: Good Standing
TivoToGo: a,a,a

When I unplugged the Ethernet cable and tried to connect, the task didn't get past Preparing.

Preparing Network cable unplugged

#14 ·
Ok, let me recap.

We confirmed Tivo to router worked via the browser to Tivo IP.
Rebooted router, tivo.
Tivo connected properly before.
Other devices on network connects and works...

Was anything different or changed between the times the Tivo last properly connected and NOW?

#17 ·
Well, the one thing we both should have thought about worked. I unplugged the S2 for a minute and replugged. Now it's working fine. Soft reset through the tivo menu. I guess unplugging and doing a hard reset should have been one of my first actions.

Thanks for your help.

Now on to my date with Irma tonight. I hope she is gentle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.