TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Easier to use pyTivo - pyTivo Desktop

264K views 3K replies 233 participants last post by  KevTech 
#1 · (Edited)
I have just completed a new version which now includes a full feature UI called "pyTivo Desktop" which includes TiVoToGo support. I hope it works well for everyone. Please let me know if you have any trouble with it...

New website...

pyTivo Desktop

Release builds
Last Updated - Windows: 12/24/19 5:06am - v1.6.22
Last Updated - Mac: 12/12/19 5:34pm - v1.6.20

Beta builds
Last Updated - Windows: None
Last Updated - Mac: None

I've created an easier to use/install version of pyTivo. It's compiled into a standard Windows exe and does NOT require you to install python on your PC to work. It also includes a simple UI for setting up and managing shares. Some of the advanced features still have to be setup using the web UI or by editing the config file by hand, but this should be a lot easier for people to get going if all you want to do is transfer videos from your PC to your TiVo or use Music/Photos.

pyTivo_setup.exe

pyTivo_setup.zip (alternative for those getting antivirus warnings with exe)

In a future release I plan to add a UI for some of the advanced settings and maybe the TTG portion too.

I'm also going to try creating Mac and Linux versions too when I have some more time.

Edit: 4/2/17 Updated version with settings dialog

#1,051 ·
Dan:
I've installed PyTivoDesktop on two of my Macs. I just got a notice to update to 1.6.15 and did so on one of my Macs (OS 10.11.6). My TiVo Premiere and Roamio can see the shared music files and navigate the folders but it won't play any music file shared from either Mac. The play bar shows up, but TiVo won't play it. The music files are MP3s. Any ideas what I'm missing?

#1,052 ·
Sounds like your TiVos got the 20.7.2.rc22 update? TiVo broke music again. Looks like it hasn't been fixed in rc24 either. It worked again in 20.7.1.rc2, after being broken in 20.6.something. Doesn't sound like a pyTiVo problem, I can play Music fine with 1.6.15, but my TiVos are still on 20.7.1.rc2

#1,053 ·
The Premiere is on 20.7.1.RC2 and music won't play. The Roamio is on 20.7.2.RC22 and trying to play a music file brings up a TiVo server-related error trouble trying to connect...but obviously I AM connected or I wouldn't be able to move through the folders to the music file, and I can view photos without connection troubles -- so that's a misleading error. Well darn...it's apparently a TiVo-related issue and out of our control so your fine work with pyTivo Desktop can't be used. :( <<Sigh>> But thank you for pyTivo Desktop anyway!:clapping:

#1,054 ·
Sorry, I forgot, I don't think the Music problem ever affected the Premiere or Bolt? Might have just been the Roamio? I remember when my Roamio Music broke, I could still play Music on my TiVoHD. I have no idea why your Premiere won't play Music. I don't have a Premiere, so can't check it out. On your Premiere, have you tried using the SD menus instead of HD? I faintly recall that may have been a workaround available on the Premiere for some reason.

#1,078 · (Edited)
I'll be! I installed 1.6.15 a couple of days ago, in Win10 Home x64, and couldn't get it to copy recordings. Found this thread, and reinstalled 1.5.15, unchecking "Start automatically when Windows starts" and "Install pyTivo as a service (this requires admin rights)", and now file copying to the PC is working. Thanks!

Edit:

I changed the settings to decrypt with tivo-libre, and Avast! blocked it as a threat. I filed a False Positive report with Avast! and have to see what they say. Screenshots attached.

Product Font Material property Screenshot Parallel
Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology Parallel

#1,081 ·
@Dan203 and company - Is there any reason to run your version of pyTivo Desktop as a service?

I used to run the old version as a service, but since I switched to this version, I never installed as a service and have had many fewer problems.

Since many of the errors reported by users in his thread are regarding the service installation, maybe the best thing to do is to remove that option or at least bury it much deeper in the program options.

#1,084 ·
@Dan203 and company - Is there any reason to run your version of pyTivo Desktop as a service?

I used to run the old version as a service, but since I switched to this version, I never installed as a service and have had many fewer problems.

Since many of the errors reported by users in his thread are regarding the service installation, maybe the best thing to do is to remove that option or at least bury it much deeper in the program options.
That may be what I do. The service has been a source of headaches for me.

The reason I added it as an option is because there are a few people who requested it because they run pyTivo on a headless server and a service will start up without needing to log in.
Is it possible to handle "it" (i.e. running as a service) like kmttg does, with several .BAT files (...\kmttg\service\win32) to install / uninstall / start / stop / etc...?

Announce somewhere that the code is 'Under development - use at your own risk', remove the option / question from the initial installation so that newbies don't see (and choose) it and then complain / ask millions of questions, but allow it to be accessed by someone willing to do their own 'legwork' to run, and troubleshoot, it.

#1,087 ·
So if I'm reading the thread on 20.7.2 correctly -- if you're on 20.7.2.RC24 and you have a Roamio, Music is broken? It's an issue with 20.7.2.RC24, and not pyTiVoDesktop?

I can see my music on the TiVo, and I can navigate to any of the albums, but once I select the music I want to play, the TiVo gives me an error that the server is unavailable or busy.

After rebooting both the computer and the TiVo, I can see that pyTiVoDesktop is running.

#1,088 ·
So if I'm reading the thread on 20.7.2 correctly -- if you're on 20.7.2.RC24 and you have a Roamio, Music is broken? It's an issue with 20.7.2.RC24, and not pyTiVoDesktop? ...
That is my take on it. I have a dual tuner Premiere, base Roamio, and a Bolt, they are all on 20.7.2 RC24. I use TiVoDesktop on a older Win 10 PC, the Premiere and Bolt can play music from the PC via TiVoDesktop and the Roamio can not.

#1,091 ·
I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a brand new ssd. Trying to set this up and have some issues right off the bat.
During install it asks for the media key and a folder for movies. I did that. But then when I open up the program it asks for the same info again under a TivotoGo tab. Isn't that a separate progam???. I entered it but it never saves it. Just goes to a white blank screen????? Then when I close and open the program again, it goes to the same tab.