TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

YouTube app crashes

18K views 95 replies 27 participants last post by  JoeKustra 
#1 ·
Starting to see these on a regular basis now when watching vids on the Mini. Just crashes back to the Tivo menu randomly.

#34 ·
I'm not a heavy user. I watch the clips of Real Time and Last Week. I've never had a problem, other than sometimes poor quality. I usually get 1080i/60.

I also have a Roku 3, Blu-ray, TV and Premiere. But I only use my Roamio for YouTube. I will try it on my Mini next week.
Thanks. This isn't something that happens immediately. The most typical crash scenario seems to be watching multiple auto-loaded videos for around 1/2 hour (sometimes longer), and it will either lock up the mini or YouTube crashes out to TIVO Central. Once in a while it just works for longer period of time and sometimes shorter amount of time, but there's no pattern I can determine.

#41 ·
I believe you'd be much more likely to replicate the issue with auto playback of multiple music videos that have short durations (3 - 5 minute type videos).

I had a suspicion at one point that many of these videos are posted with varying resolutions/framerates and that is the root cause of these issues. I was never able to prove this out.

Next lockup I'll need to check and see if the unit feels hotter than normal.

#46 ·
My Mini boxes are connected directly via MoCA. Are you using the Ethernet ports on your Mini boxes, or are you connecting them via MoCA. YouTube has never affected my Roamio base boxes, it has only caused the Mini boxes that I use on a regular basis to freeze. I mostly watch YouTube with the kitchen Mini box. I have to reset it on an almost daily basis. It does not seem to be a length of video issue, but an issue with loading videos. I can watch a lengthy hour long video, and the Mini box will not freeze. If I try to watch several short videos in a row, then it will definitely freeze. I guess there is a problem with YouTube when it loads the videos.
I wasn't watching the video. I would peek in from time to time to be sure nothing was wrong. One channel always changing its content. Physically both units were connected to a WUMC710 media bridge which was on a 5GHz 802.11ac connection to my router on a floor below.

My daily use is with a different Mini located in my kitchen connected to a RE6500 media bridge two rooms from the same router.

#51 ·
I wasn't watching the video. I would peek in from time to time to be sure nothing was wrong. One channel always changing its content. Physically both units were connected to a WUMC710 media bridge which was on a 5GHz 802.11ac connection to my router on a floor below.

My daily use is with a different Mini located in my kitchen connected to a RE6500 media bridge two rooms from the same router.
If you're still following...
Can you take a look at YouTube app version?
Mine is 57d42bd3
Thanks

#38 ·
The Mini, like the Roamio (and below), has a number in System Information: MBT. That's mother board temperature in C. A number over 50C is normal. A Roamio usually has 40C. If you feel heat is an issue, I can stop the fan on top of my Mini and rerun the test. Actually, I'll just use a different Mini without a fan.

#47 ·
I was watching the Vevo Music Video channel thru the YT app on one of my minis and often when I would fast forward thru a video to get to the next one, the app would crash and take me back to Tivo Central.

#48 ·
I experienced a very odd behavior a few nights ago, and was wondering if someone would be willing to test this on their Mini.

One of my Minis froze-up during YouTube playback. I just turned off the TV and went to bed. I forgot to reboot the Mini.
The next night, about 24 hours later, all my TiVos in the house lost their IP Address, and none of the TiVos were able to reacquire an IP Address. I spent a few hours troubleshooting, thinking possibly my router had died, but every other device in my house was working fine. I started unplugging all the Ethernet cables from the TiVos and then adding them back one at a time, every TiVo was now able to access an IP Address, until I plugged the frozen Mini back in. I then realized that Mini was still locked-up. After rebooting the Mini, all TiVos returned to normal.

I have not yet attempted to duplicate the issue, but will in the next few days.

#54 · (Edited)
Has anyone gotten a fix for this problem yet?
I am still having YouTube problems with my Tivo Mini.
Sometimes it just hangs up and eventually reboots, sometimes it just crashes out to the Tivo Central screen.
The Tivo software version is 20.7.1 and the youtube version is 1479d69f.
I have cleared the caches too.
I am ordering a new fan, so maybe it is a heat problem?
Thanks

#55 ·
I honestly don't think there is a fix coming anytime soon, :(, I believe there must be an ISP related CDN issue involved here also, since the problem is not effecting everyone.

Does anyone have YouTube Red and also has this issue, I have thought about using a 30 day trial of YouTube Red to see if the problem stops.

#58 ·
I have a video which reboots the TivoBolt+ at the exact same place each time.

I have a feeling that there's a decoding bug in the YT app. The CDN might play a role in providing a corrupted cached copy, but still, it should not reboot the player if it encounters bad data.

The video specifically is: (and no, it's not a joke) it crashes and reboots at the 0:37 mark. I assume it's the 1080p stream.

#59 ·
I have a video which reboots the TivoBolt+ at the exact same place each time.
I have a feeling that there's a decoding bug in the YT app. The CDN might play a role in providing a corrupted cached copy, but still, it should not reboot the player if it encounters bad data.
I assume it's the 1080p stream.
No problems with a Roamio 1080p 24fps.

#65 ·
20.7.2 was pushed to my mini this evening. After install, Youtube was able to play multiple videos on my watchlist without issue. I also got the "Skip Ad" option during the ads between videos which has been gone for awhile now.

Very happy with the fix so far and will report back any issues.

#67 ·
Enrolled for priority 20.7.2 deployment several weeks ago. Still haven't gotten it on any device despite doing manual Tivo network syncs. Anxious to see whether YT issues was fixed. There are no release notes available anywhere for these fixes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.