TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Plus 2.6.1 Unable to link to your TiVo account

17K views 69 replies 35 participants last post by  splat101 
#1 ·
I have a Series3 TiVo and recently got the 9.3a software. I installed Desktop 2.6.1 and installed it with no problems. At the time of installation, I was prompted to link my TiVo account, which at the time worked fine.

I requested and downloaded a bunch of video podcasts to try it out. All worked perfectly fine.

Tonight, on the TiVo I am getting an error in the video podcast request screen saying that my PC has not contacted the TiVo service in over 24 hours.

On the computer, I went to the "Link to my TiVo account" dialog and entered my login information as verified on the TiVo web site multiple times, and I am getting the error "Unable to link to your TiVo account" error repeatedly. I am able to successfully log on to the web site with no issues at the same time.

I am assuming that the issue is on the TiVo server end. Can anyone else confirm this?

I am using Windows XP Pro on the computer.

Thanks,
Dennis

See less See more
#54 ·
I did everything one last time:

- uninstalled TiVo Desktop
- ran TiVoDesktopCleaner /all
- rebooted, disabled firewall
- downloaded TD 2.6.2 fresh from tivo.com
- installed TD 2.6.2
- upgraded to Plus
- attempted to link account, same problem

Same stuff in the log as before:

Code:
WspError|Desktop/WSP   |Host          |8/20/2008 12:31:39 AM    8532078 |1BF8          |TFirstTimeLaunchWizard::FillAccountData(): can't init wspconfig.dll
WspInfo |Desktop/WSP   |Host          |8/20/2008 12:31:51 AM    8544234 |1BF8          |module: ".\MindClientConnectionMgr.cpp", function: "MindClient::CConnectionMgrImpl::AcquireConnection", line: "1045", message: "wait for semaphore"
WspInfo |Desktop/WSP   |Host          |8/20/2008 12:31:51 AM    8544234 |1BF8          |module: ".\MindClientConnectionMgr.cpp", function: "MindClient::CConnectionMgrImpl::AcquireConnection", line: "1081", message: "semaphore is acquired"
WspError|Desktop/WSP   |Host          |8/20/2008 12:31:51 AM    8544250 |1BF8          |module: ".\MindClientConnectionMgr.cpp", function: "MindClient::CConnectionImpl::Init", line: "432", message: "can't connect to "":0 err: 87"
WspError|Desktop/WSP   |Host          |8/20/2008 12:31:51 AM    8544250 |1BF8          |module: ".\MindClientConnectionMgr.cpp", function: "MindClient::CConnectionMgrImpl::AcquireConnection", line: "1279", message: "can't connect to Mind, server: , port: 0, mindVersion: 0, login: <removed>; err: -2"
WspError|Desktop/WSP   |Host          |8/20/2008 12:31:51 AM    8544250 |1BF8          |file: '..\Src\Desktop\TFirstTimeLaunchWizard.cpp', function: 'TFirstTimeLaunchWizard::TryLoginToTivoCom', line: '295', MindConnectionOpen failed, err: '-2'
I appreciate all the help, TiVoJerry, but I give up. Pushing videos to my TiVos through pyTiVo on Linux works just fine.

#57 ·
No problem here with 2.8 on Windows 7 64 bit. This thread is a year and a half old, so it seems it hasn't been much of a problem for most people since then either.

Perhaps if you detail your issue, people here can help you troubleshoot it.

By the way, one thread is enough, there is no need to post the same thing in different threads.

#58 ·
To follow-up - I figured out what the problem is. It appears that Tivo Desktop cannot link to a Tivo account that has a username that has an UNDERSCORE in it. My Tivo account username (my email address) had an underscore in it. As soon as I changed it to an account without an underscore, it started working.

So note to Tivo -- you've got a special character problem (underscores!) in your Tivo Desktop code somewhere.

-Rick

#59 ·
Further to Osterber's post I have also found that having special characters in your password can also cause this problem. In my case it was the & symbol.

Personally I think its ridiculous that the TiVo accounts promote and allow strong passwords including special characters but they don't work when trying to link the TiVo Desktop to your TiVo account.

Hope this helps someone else and prompts TiVo to look into the issue further.

#60 ·
Has this been resolved by anyone? I'm still not able to link my account on Vista. I called Tivo, they told me to call the company that makes the software (forgot the name), and they redirected me back to Tivo. Very frustrating.
For the benefit of all who follow after, I submit the following unlikely solution that worked for me after four days of reading and trying everything else failed.

The solution for "unable to link to your tivo account" is simply:

Type your email address in all capitals such as in NAME@DOMAIN, example:

NAME@GMAIL.COM

#61 ·
For the benefit of all who follow after, I submit the following unlikely solution that worked for me after four days of reading and trying everything else failed.

The solution for "unable to link to your tivo account" is simply:

Type your email address in all capitals such as in NAME@DOMAIN, example:

NAME@GMAIL.COM
It works!!!!
Unbelievable - ALL capital letters in the email
Thanks a million!

#65 ·
I keep losing the link to my account also. I tried the ALL CAPS method, and it was hit or miss. Now whenever I lose the link, which is at least once a day, I just keep trying to login. If it says failed I just click Cancel then OK. On about the third or forth try it works. I'm not trying CAPS with this method, just my regular saved email and password. Hope they get his fixed soon, but it's been going on for a month or so.

#67 ·
Yeah, I've been having that problem for some time. I notice this thread started in 2008. I'm running Tivo DesktopPlus v 2.8.3. I just had a frustrating 3-day exchange with tech support via email, and finally with chat. Here's that Transcript:

Joan (1:32:35 PM):Thank you for contacting TiVo Support Chat, my name is Joan and I am happy to assist you. Are you a current TiVo customer (or subscriber)?
Me (1:32:45 PM):Yes
Joan (1:33:06 PM):Can you please tell me more about your concern?
Me (1:36:12 PM): "Unable to link to your Tivo account". Case # 07080074 if that helps. I was told by tech support email to use a login of XXXXXX@GMAIL.com, but that didn't work (Everything upper cases except the .com)
Joan (1:39:54 PM):I understand. I would really like to apologize for the inconvenience.
Joan (1:41:25 PM):Upon checking here, it is still a known issue. Our engineers are currently working to fix the issue. Once the issue is resolved, it will automatically updated into your box.
Me (1:42:34 PM) This has been an ongoing problem for several months. I may not hang around until your guys get it fixed. Thanks for your help.

Guess it's time to dust off the Linux box and load pyTivo. Can anyone suggest an alternative to Tivo hardware?

#68 ·
You should try my version of pyTivo. It's basically a complete replacement for TiVo Desktop.

I'm going to release a new version in a few days that will have VideoReDo post processing built in. So after it downloads a file it can adscan, quick stream fix, or even recode to a different format.

#69 ·
You should try my version of pyTivo. It's basically a complete replacement for TiVo Desktop.

I'm going to release a new version in a few days that will have VideoReDo post processing built in. So after it downloads a file it can adscan, quick stream fix, or even recode to a different format.
Very cool

#70 ·
I just switched machines (Win10) and had this same problem. I tried the ALL CAPS and that didn't work, so I thought I would check the windows firewall. Well that seem to fix it for me.

I opened the Windows Defender Security Center and went under "firewall and network protection", then I clicked on the "Allow an app thru the firewall" there's a bunch of stuff in there, but I went to "Tivo HME Host: Port %d" and clicked the "Changed settings" and I checked the "public" box, and then, using ALL CAPS for the email address, it worked for me.
I hope this helps someone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.