Originally Posted by Edmund
1. MENU> MESSAGES & SETUP> SYSTEM INFO
2. scroll down to REMOTE ADDRESS
3. point the remote away from the receiver, press and hold PAUSE & TIVO(or DIRECTV key) until the red light remains on
4. press one of the #'s on the remote between 1-9( or if a Sony 1-3), that changes the remote to a new address.
5. now point the remote towards the receiver, press the right directional button, this changes the receiver.
Never leave one tivo on any part of the INFO screen, when using remote for another, it will change to that remotes address.
Not sure the following info was covered in the prior posts, it took me some time to figure out, so I'll share here.
I have 3 remotes that ran 1 TIVO and then brought a 2nd tivo online with a 4th remote. I had to do the remote channel change on BOTH tivo's (with a different remote on each) to separate channels. And then I had to do the remote channel change on the other 2 spare remotes to match the tivo I wanted it to run.
For example, Tivo 1 is set to channel 2 and 3 of the remotes are set to channel 2, and Tivo 2 is set to channel 5 and 1 remote set to channel 5.
When TIVO's and Remotes are out of the box, they seem to be "universal" (listed as "Not Set" in the settings). Remotes will control all units, and all "not set" units will receive from any channeled remote.