TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2004, 11:24 AM   #121
jerry warner

two simultaneous shows

Thanks! I'm a new Tivoite and a retired engineer, and I found out right away that Tivo doesn't allow channel change while recording which is no good when two good things are on at the same time.

I was able to rig my system easily to get around it. In my case, I send the tivo output through my VCR (then to my TV), but it'd work OK if you don't have a VCR, DVD, etc.,and go direct to your TV.

What you need to do is make parallel lines from the cable input, one to tivo and one to the VCR.

Get a splitter, and plug the cable TV (or antenna line) into it's in port. On one of the out ports, send the line to tivo in as normal. On the other out port, get a 3 foot or so new cable line and run it toward the VCR (or TV). You already had a line from Tivo out toward the VCR, so now you have two lines headed for the VCR.

The trick is to get an A-B switch. Normally, this switch takes one input and gives two outputs, so , for example, you can take one cable TV line and send it to two pieces of equipment. It works backwards, too. We can take the two lines from above and plug them into the out ports of the switch, and connect the in port of the switch to the VCR.

I got everything I needed (one new short line for splitter to Tivo, one new longer line to connect the splitter to the switch, one A-B switch, and one new short line to connect the switch to the VCR) at Radio Shack for about $36 total.

Works great. Normally, I use the switch to block off the new line from cable to VCR and just let Tivo do its thing. When two good things are on, I switch from A to B; this allows Tivo to record along its merry way, and gives me back full control of my VCR as before Tivo. I can watch the other show through the VCR, tape it separately from what Tivo's doing, change channels, etc. When you're done, change the switch back and make sure your VCR or TV is back on the dead channel ( 3 or 4).

The new cables, switch, and splitter hides nicely behind my cabinet easily.

Enjoy!
jerry warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:42 PM   #122
gotlogos
2nd Degree TiVo belt

Re: two simultaneous shows

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry warner
Thanks! I'm a new Tivoite and a retired engineer, and I found out right away that Tivo doesn't allow channel change while recording which is no good when two good things are on at the same time.

I was able to rig my system easily to get around it. In my case, I send the tivo output through my VCR (then to my TV), but it'd work OK if you don't have a VCR, DVD, etc.,and go direct to your TV.

What you need to do is make parallel lines from the cable input, one to tivo and one to the VCR.

Get a splitter, and plug the cable TV (or antenna line) into it's in port. On one of the out ports, send the line to tivo in as normal. On the other out port, get a 3 foot or so new cable line and run it toward the VCR (or TV). You already had a line from Tivo out toward the VCR, so now you have two lines headed for the VCR.

The trick is to get an A-B switch. Normally, this switch takes one input and gives two outputs, so , for example, you can take one cable TV line and send it to two pieces of equipment. It works backwards, too. We can take the two lines from above and plug them into the out ports of the switch, and connect the in port of the switch to the VCR.

I got everything I needed (one new short line for splitter to Tivo, one new longer line to connect the splitter to the switch, one A-B switch, and one new short line to connect the switch to the VCR) at Radio Shack for about $36 total.

Works great. Normally, I use the switch to block off the new line from cable to VCR and just let Tivo do its thing. When two good things are on, I switch from A to B; this allows Tivo to record along its merry way, and gives me back full control of my VCR as before Tivo. I can watch the other show through the VCR, tape it separately from what Tivo's doing, change channels, etc. When you're done, change the switch back and make sure your VCR or TV is back on the dead channel ( 3 or 4).

The new cables, switch, and splitter hides nicely behind my cabinet easily.

Enjoy!
Hi - I am puzzled by everyone's 'puzzlement' over watching a show while Tivo recods another. On my Pioneer 810 unit I have an RF Coax Output for pass-through - this is an undoctored tivo signal. I simply hook this up to my TV's RF in (the tivo output goes to one of my RCA inputs)...

So cable goes in to Tivo's RF in and a second cable is attached to Tivo's RF out and goes to the TV...wehn i want to watch a show different than the recording I simply switch my RCA TV to the appropriate input selection 9using the Tivo's input selector! ...

Daniel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 DVR80 DirecTivos (70 hrs - unmodified)
Avcast media network broadcasting one of the DVR80's (using diplexers)

Need a dvd burning/archiving solution soon

your quote here
gotlogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:16 PM   #123
RPFist

Great job, thanks for all the info. I think the wishlist vs. season pass idea is good. If I want to record the x-files, and it is on more than one channel a season pass won't record it from both channels (although 2 seasoon passes would).

Thanks again.

-Fist
Old 10-08-2004, 01:47 PM   #124
tase2
Shy Guy

Quote:
Hi - I am puzzled by everyone's 'puzzlement' over watching a show while Tivo recods another. On my Pioneer 810 unit I have an RF Coax Output for pass-through - this is an undoctored tivo signal. I simply hook this up to my TV's RF in (the tivo output goes to one of my RCA inputs)...

That's great but what about all the complaints about the PQ with the Pioneer 810?

Last edited by tase2 : 07-16-2005 at 07:03 AM.
tase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 06:35 PM   #125
karken10

Thanks a lot .............. Karl

Thank you ........ that was a great list of TiVo stuff. Had mine for about a year and a half but you had some really good tips that I had not thought of. That one about running the show 5 minutes ahead after you have watched it was neat ............. thanks again javascript:smilie('') Karl

P.S.
I want to buy a second TiVo (Humax with DVD burner) my question is can I use a splitter and run 1 TiVo off digital cable box and run the second TiVo directly off the digital cable feed?javascript:smilie('')
(I of course will need a second discounted subscription to TiVo)
karken10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:14 AM   #126
ignavia
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally posted by karken10
can I use a splitter and run 1 TiVo off digital cable box and run the second TiVo directly off the digital cable feed?
Yes, but obviously, one TiVo would only have access to the analog channels.
ignavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:22 PM   #127
marcoval

VEry cool thread, very helpful!
marcoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 10:03 PM   #128
jfhseattle

How to enable Closed Captioning?

I am new to TiVO and would appreciate help on enabling closed captioning. I am hard of hearing and noticed several references to CC in the tips section. I am very eager to use this feature if it's possible,

My TV is an old but very wonderful 32" CRT Mitsubishi monitor, circa 1991. I've searched its manual, but there's no mention of Closed Captioning anywhere.

I've tried every set-up scenario on the Cable Box, and on TiVO. - I've searched everywhere and cannot find out how to turn on this feature. Is it resident in the TV, or in my Cable Box, or in the TiVO box?

Any help which anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Seattle
jfhseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 10:25 PM   #129
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Re: How to enable Closed Captioning?

Quote:
Originally posted by jfhseattle
I am new to TiVO and would appreciate help on enabling closed captioning. I am hard of hearing and noticed several references to CC in the tips section. I am very eager to use this feature if it's possible
This is something that is in your TV. If it isn't an option on your TV, I don't think TiVo has any way of showing it. TiVo just plays back the captioning as it was originally broadcast. If you have a menu on your TV, it should be in there to set how you want to display captions (often it is either always on, always off, or on when the TV is muted).
DancnDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:27 AM   #130
jfhseattle

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I've been told (tonight) that there are stand-alone decoders for CC. Do you know a name or where I might find one?

John
Seattle
Old 11-19-2004, 12:53 AM   #131
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by jfhseattle
Thanks for the help. I've been told (tonight) that there are stand-alone decoders for CC. Do you know a name or where I might find one?

John
Seattle
I certainly am not an expert but did a quick Google search for you and came up with: http://tvguardian.com/ There are probably others, or maybe even your cable company has a box. You might also check Radio Shack and ask them if they have anything that will do it. I hope this helps!
DancnDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:12 PM   #132
colleenm1013

Tivo and land line phone

I need help!! Brand new to this site. I want to get rid of my home phone and DirecTV guy suggested I join this community to find out what I would lose on Tivo if I cut off phone line. Can I get answers from the people who know all about it out there????
colleenm1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 04:51 PM   #133
jfhseattle

thankis

thanks! I should have thought of Googling this. And I don't know why I didn't think of Radio Shack.

John
Old 12-03-2004, 12:11 AM   #134
Jasoco

Re: Tivo and land line phone

Quote:
Originally posted by colleenm1013
I need help!! Brand new to this site. I want to get rid of my home phone and DirecTV guy suggested I join this community to find out what I would lose on Tivo if I cut off phone line. Can I get answers from the people who know all about it out there????
TiVo requires either a Phone Line or a Broadband Internet connection. Without either one, you won't be able to get TV listings.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, even with Broadband, you'll still need a phone line to setup? Or am I wrong? Either way, I personally wouldn't suggest losing your phone.
Jasoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:38 AM   #135
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Yes, you need a phone line for that first call.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:54 PM   #136
Jasoco

Curious as to why the first call can't use a wireless adapter? Is there some technical reason it can't use your internet connection for the first call?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #137
futerfas

I think it's because when TiVo units are shipped, they may not have the latest SW version, there may have been one that updates it for realease with a certain model of a certain adapter. So if someone gets that adapter, and it doesn't work, they'll be confused and whatnot. Of course, this is also confusing. So it's kinda a lose-lose situation.
"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara
futerfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:32 PM   #138
nicolekeating

keywords and/or topics

Hi,
This is my first post, ever. I was hoping someone could elaborate on the feature used to record TV content that includes certain keywords or topics of interest. If I want to record anything that mentions "cancer" how likely, if at all, would TiVo be able to process this request?
I don't own a TiVo and was wondering if it would work for such purposes.
Thanks very much!
NKJF
nicolekeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:40 PM   #139
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: keywords and/or topics

Quote:
Originally posted by nicolekeating
I was hoping someone could elaborate on the feature used to record TV content that includes certain keywords or topics of interest. If I want to record anything that mentions "cancer" how likely, if at all, would TiVo be able to process this request?
I don't own a TiVo and was wondering if it would work for such purposes.
To get a rough idea, go to Zap2It and try a search with the data TMS makes available there. Be sure to expand the search's date range from the tiny default there.

WishList searches on TiVo work similarly since TiVo also gets guide data from TMS. They are not exactly the same because TiVo gets a more verbose version of the guide data than you can see at that web site and because some of the search options are different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:49 PM   #140
nicolekeating

Thank you for your reply! What is "TMS"? I went to the web location you mentioned but couldn't find an appropriate place to search. Can you specify more advice on which Sap2It option I should try? thank you very, very much.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:18 PM   #141
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Thank you for your reply! What is "TMS"?
TMS is Tribune Media Services. They and TV Guide are the two major (and pretty much only) sources of TV listings in the United States. TMS provides TV listings and other content for the Zap2It web site (which they run), TiVo, ReplayTV, many cable companies, and the Los Angeles Times, New York Times, Detroit Free Press, Miami Herald, Chicago Tribune, Boston Globe, Denver Post and hundreds of other newspapers.
Quote:
I went to the web location you mentioned but couldn't find an appropriate place to search. Can you specify more advice on which Sap2It option I should try? thank you very, very much.
On the main page, enter your ZIP code in the upper right and click for listings. On the next page, select your lineup and See Listings. On the page after that, press Search (just above the listings, next to Sports Search).

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-14-2004, 05:41 PM   #142
nicolekeating

I really appreciate how helpful you are. I found 41 listings (including some duplications) for "cancer" (partial match option) and it appears that TMS lists only summary highlights of a program/movie. This summary isn't very detailed or nuanced. In contrast, a much more thorough listing would be found if there was a way to search closed captioning for any mention of "cancer." Is there a more precise option such as this?
Old 12-14-2004, 05:59 PM   #143
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
This summary isn't very detailed or nuanced.
The summaries TMS makes available for anyone to see for free at that web site are indeed rather short. The summaries TMS sells TiVo are more detailed.
Quote:
In contrast, a much more thorough listing would be found if there was a way to search closed captioning for any mention of "cancer." Is there a more precise option such as this?
No one searches closed captioning at this time. Google recently talk about adding such a capability (a long time from now), but there are legal issues involved.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-14-2004, 07:11 PM   #144
nicolekeating

Charles,
I just wanted to thank you again. You know a great deal and I appreciate your willingness to share. Cheers!
Old 12-22-2004, 11:05 AM   #145
TIV0addict

Just did the 30 sec skip thing and it rocks. Now I can blow through commercials in a jiffy!

RIP
80 Hour S2 "The Black Box" - Activated 12/25/03
TIV0addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 05:03 PM   #146
catsinavalon

Ummmm?

I asked for tivo for xmas and now i've got it and I think I want to give it back. It seems a bit overwhelming. I only have 3 shows I watch. I really wanted it so I could record for my kids and bypass the advertising, and so I wouldn't have to remember to change the channel and record the motorcycle races for my husband. I'd like to stay married. We don't watch a ton of tv but all my friend swear they can't live without it. Can you help me and my tivo (i named it harmony) bond.
catsinavalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 06:05 PM   #147
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: Ummmm?

Quote:
Originally posted by catsinavalon
I asked for tivo for xmas and now i've got it and I think I want to give it back. It seems a bit overwhelming.
Well, the biggest piece of advice is "Don't Panic". (Pretend I wrote that in big friendly letters.) A thirty day money-back guarantee is standard with just about all TiVo models (doesn't apply if you bought from eBay or some such), so relax and try it out for a while.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-27-2004, 12:57 AM   #148
TallGuy
TiVo TiVo TiVo TiVo

Re: Ummmm?

Quote:
Originally posted by catsinavalon

I asked for tivo for xmas and now i've got it and I think I want to give it back. It seems a bit overwhelming. I only have 3 shows I watch. I really wanted it so I could record for my kids and bypass the advertising, and so I wouldn't have to remember to change the channel and record the motorcycle races for my husband. I'd like to stay married. We don't watch a ton of tv but all my friend swear they can't live without it. Can you help me and my tivo (i named it harmony) bond.
You will love it, just give it a month. There are probably a lot more interesting shows on at odd times that you would enjoy but would never try to match up your life with the show's schedule. You may want to have a friend help you set it up unless you're familiar with all the cabling. Live TV is terrible compared to TiVo!
Old 03-14-2005, 04:51 PM   #149
JimSpence
Just hangin'

From another thread, this should be required viewing.
http://starterupsteve.com/swf/posting.html?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #150
Jasoco

I've always loved that video.