TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-25-2003, 10:20 PM   #91
dan9486

I just got the Hacking TIVO book and was quite interested in getting into the Backdoor mode for my new Tivo 4.0-1 version. I cant figure it out. Can anyone help?
dan9486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 04:31 PM   #92
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I've had my TiVo for going on four weeks now and this thread was very helpful. Thanks to all who contributed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:06 AM   #93
Russ Dorsey

Closed caption

Quote:
Originally posted by DancnDude
Another tip about Closed Captioning that I use...
If I can't understand what was said by someone on TV, turn on CC on your TV and then do an instant replay. Often times it will be typed out so you can read was was said I have my TV set to CC on Mute, so I just hit the mute button and then instant replay to read what was said.

Can I have the CC on without muting the sound?

Russ
Russ Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:36 AM   #94
BrettStah

Russ, that depends entirely on your TV, but chances are you can.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 08:41 AM   #95
renepaul

Yeah, what he said. Depends on TV. My TV when I hit mute the captions come up automatically. Also that SAP Audio is kinda cool but iffy. I turned it on and my "CSI" was narrarated for me. And my "Family Business" was recorded in Spanish. I now know better.
renepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 04:27 PM   #96
selwyn47

Smile Appreciation

Thank you. I am about to purchase a TIVO. I have learn more about TIVO from your discussion than any place else I have looked.
selwyn47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 05:21 PM   #97
kp49ers

Thanks for the great and thorough information. I just got Tivo and love it. However, I am busy and sometimes can't watch a show before it is deleted. I even had it on Save Until I Delete and it still deleted it for another show. Perhaps 40 hours is not enough for me. Do you know what the user fee is on a second unit? I am thinking of buying one for the bedroom.

Thanks so much.
kp49ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 06:15 PM   #98
bidger

Quote:
Originally posted by kp49ers
Do you know what the user fee is on a second unit?
For the standalone TiVo boxes, each unit requires a separate subscription fee of either $12.95mo. or $299lifetime. You could consider upgrading the capacity of your 40hr. by either doing it yourself through the "Hinsdale's How To" thread in the "Upgrade Forum" or having one of the Forum sponsors do it for you. It would ultimately be more cost effective to upgrade, but if you have your heart set on a TiVo in another room, it's up to you.

Another option would be to see if your cable co. offers a DVR. You'd still be paying another service fee, but you wouldn't have to pay for hardware. My option is DirecTV w/ TiVo. There is no additional DVR fee other than the first unit. I pay a $4.99mo. mirroring fee that any D* customer pays for extra receivers for my 2nd D-TiVo, but no extra DVR fee. I also use a S1 SA TiVo unsubbed for two local channels I couldn't get waivers for. Good luck whatever you choose.
bidger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 09:54 PM   #99
1man

I am a newbie. this was very helpful. Is it possible to tape a show while watching another one, if your connected to cable?
1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 11:24 PM   #100
Brianz28

1man- I just set up my TiVo the other day. The way I set up my system. I can record one channel and view a different one. I have cable without a cable box and a tv with 3 inputs. I used a splitter on the incoming cable line. One went to the TiVo and the other went to the tv. Out put from the TiVo went via RCA cable to "Video 1" on tv. When I want to watch thru TiVo, I switch tv to "Video 1". I record what I want, and switch back to "Antenna" on tv. "Video 2" is for the VCR, "Video 3" is for PS2.
Brianz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:22 AM   #101
CraigHB

New TiVo user here. I'm highly pleased with it.

I solved the "record one channel and view another" problem this way; My cable provider gives me two cable boxes for no charge. I hooked one up to the TiVo then to the composite input of the TV and the other up to the TV's coax input. By switching inputs on the TV, I can either use the TiVo or use the 2nd cable box (to watch something live like PPV regardless of what the TiVo is doing).

Charter Digital Cable

Last edited by CraigHB : 01-09-2004 at 01:44 PM.
CraigHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 03:29 PM   #102
MacsBaine

CraigHB, do you have problems with your remote changing the channel on both boxes? How do you avoid the problem?
MacsBaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:01 PM   #103
ccwf
国際化 Member

Build an IR tent/fort to make sure IR goes only to the intended box. At the end of the Cable/Satellite Box Compatibility & Codes List are links to TiVo's instructions for building an IR tent and a thread on making a nice looking tent out of a VHS tape box and other methods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:58 PM   #104
CraigHB

Quote:
Originally posted by MacsBaine
CraigHB, do you have problems with your remote changing the channel on both boxes? How do you avoid the problem?
I'm using the serial interface instead of the infared blaster (it works good). Then I blocked-off the infared sensor on the digital cable box hooked up to the TiVo.

Charter Digital Cable
CraigHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 05:28 PM   #105
big terror

Try using word do print your cheat list
big terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:48 AM   #106
Crash331

Thanks. I was going to set up an X-Files season pass, but it is in syndication on about 6 channels, so the wishlist tips really helped.
Crash331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:34 AM   #107
rric31

Start with Lastest reply?

I am new to TIVO and also new to this board. I found this thread and found it very useful to help learn some of the ins and outs of TIVO.

I like to return to this thread in particular for tips, but each time I return, I have to click on the latest page because of so many comments, and then scroll down to the last reply.

Is there any way to for me to set up my viewing of each thread, to go where I left off?

Thanks for any help.

Rich in cold cold Maine
rric31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:47 AM   #108
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Click on the 'arrow' icon immediately to the left of the thread title. This will take you to the next post after your last visit.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:53 PM   #109
ems7690manct

local dial up # for Saugatuck MI

Is there one? Going to buy Tivo as a gift for someone but want to make sure of this 1st.

THANKS ERIC
ems7690manct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:34 AM   #110
Davyburns

Great stuff!!! Have had my Tivo for 3 weeks now, and am finding my way round the system (still have a problem with a Dvd recorder and a VCR in the chain, but I'll get there eventually)
This post has saved me a huge amount of time. Could it be linked somewhere on the Tivo home page - I am sure it will be of great help to people who arn't that good on the internet.
Davy Burns - England
Old 04-20-2004, 11:24 AM   #111
Fletcher

One Additional Piece of Advice

When you first get your TiVo, you can save yourself a lot of near-misses and heartache (like when you set up your first Season Pass for SpongeBob SquarePants and then find TiVo's suggestions filled with everything else on Nickelodeon) by going into Pick Programs to Record, Search By Name, Choosing All Programs, Entering 0 and scrolling through the entire list of everything that's available to your TiVo in the next two weeks.
As you see things you like (or more importantly, HATE!), pop into those shows and rate them with the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down buttons. My most powerful recommendation would be to find any show that airs on more than five channels (they're easy to spot) and rate them with three Thumbs Down (see you in hell, Guthy-Renker and Body By Jake!).
Next, look for anything you love, hate or like even a little as you scroll through and mark those things. This will give your TiVo a good idea of the kinds of things you love and hate right off the bat.
And, before you embark on this endeavor, keep in mind that crawling through this whole list will likely take you several hours! If you don't want to do it all at once (and, really, you don't have to do all of it at all), you can repeat the process to get in here, but choose to narrow down the focus (like just look at Movies), or instead of entering 0 (that's zero), pick the letter of the alphabet you left off with last time.
I've just set up a new TiVo for myself (the eighth guided set-up I've performed in my lifetime) and have taken the time to work through this process. Even at three days old, all of TiVo's recommendations are spot-on-- the only "clunkers" are movies I love, but already own on DVD.
As an adjunct to, and maintenance part of, this process, visit TiVo's Suggestions periodically to check out the things that TiVo thinks you will like-- the things that already have thumb-ratings next to them are a no-brainer, but look at the items without any thumbs next to them? If TiVo's suggestion is bad, make sure to let it know with a harsh down-thumbing (sorry, Car 54, Where Are You?).

Just a li'l tip to get the most out of TiVo..
Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:11 AM   #112
cac111

I there a way to record every ESPN Sportscenter at 8:00PM (only 8:00PM)for the entire year ? or do I have to record the episode manually each day ?
cac111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 06:15 AM   #113
ccwf
国際化 Member

Yes, use a manual repeating recording (TiVo+7 is the shortcut).

TiVo

中日韓
Old 05-06-2004, 03:48 PM   #114
losclrk

I'm a newbie, just found this forum today, and what a great post I've stumbled on! Thanks for the tips!
losclrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:28 PM   #115
sunspot77

pls help! I have read the FAQ's, i just don't understand the whole "soft padding" and wish lists concepts. I just want to know how to record CSI and ER.
sunspot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:59 PM   #116
ccwf
国際化 Member

There's a link on how to deal with the CSI/ER situation in the TiVo Help Center sticky thread Before you askplease check these top answers for TiVo questions! It has links to both detailed instructions for CSI/ER as well as links to how to apply the semi-soft padding technique more generally and how to get true soft padding.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 05-12-2004, 11:06 PM   #117
sunspot77

i really liked what dan203 had to say in his "be nice" post. I know this has been posted over and over again... Unfortunately i still don't know what to do but see that i am not going to get the help i was hoping to get without being made to feel like an idiot. thanks anyway.
sunspot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 04:32 AM   #118
ccwf
国際化 Member

The underlined items are links to other pages. Click on them to be taken to further info.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 05-26-2004, 04:22 PM   #119
Mountain TiVo

Thanks for the list ! As a newbie to TiVo I enjoyed reading thru this and printed out the list so I can keep it handy while learing.
Mountain TiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:24 AM   #120
jerry warner

two simultaneous shows

Thanks! I'm a new Tivoite and a retired engineer, and I found out right away that Tivo doesn't allow channel change while recording which is no good when two good things are on at the same time.

I was able to rig my system easily to get around it. In my case, I send the tivo output through my VCR (then to my TV), but it'd work OK if you don't have a VCR, DVD, etc.,and go direct to your TV.

What you need to do is make parallel lines from the cable input, one to tivo and one to the VCR.

Get a splitter, and plug the cable TV (or antenna line) into it's in port. On one of the out ports, send the line to tivo in as normal. On the other out port, get a 3 foot or so new cable line and run it toward the VCR (or TV). You already had a line from Tivo out toward the VCR, so now you have two lines headed for the VCR.

The trick is to get an A-B switch. Normally, this switch takes one input and gives two outputs, so , for example, you can take one cable TV line and send it to two pieces of equipment. It works backwards, too. We can take the two lines from above and plug them into the out ports of the switch, and connect the in port of the switch to the VCR.

I got everything I needed (one new short line for splitter to Tivo, one new longer line to connect the splitter to the switch, one A-B switch, and one new short line to connect the switch to the VCR) at Radio Shack for about $36 total.

Works great. Normally, I use the switch to block off the new line from cable to VCR and just let Tivo do its thing. When two good things are on, I switch from A to B; this allows Tivo to record along its merry way, and gives me back full control of my VCR as before Tivo. I can watch the other show through the VCR, tape it separately from what Tivo's doing, change channels, etc. When you're done, change the switch back and make sure your VCR or TV is back on the dead channel ( 3 or 4).

The new cables, switch, and splitter hides nicely behind my cabinet easily.

Enjoy!
jerry warner is offline   Reply With Quote