TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2003, 09:07 PM   #61
deniseg

Hi,
You said:
Use Standby to record a show and still watch live tv on another station. Put TiVo in standby, hide the remote, and use your old TV remote to watch what ever you want.

I tried this and when I went back to see what I had recorded, the parts where I watched regular TV were taped. (What I mean is that I had Tivo-ed channel 11, put it on standby, used my cable remote to switch to and watch channel 5 and when I went back to watch the recorded channel 11, the parts of channel 5 that I watched were recorded on Tivo.) Am I explaining this well?

Newbie Denise
deniseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 02:04 PM   #62
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by deniseg
Hi,
You said:
Use Standby to record a show and still watch live tv on another station. Put TiVo in standby, hide the remote, and use your old TV remote to watch what ever you want.

I tried this and when I went back to see what I had recorded, the parts where I watched regular TV were taped. (What I mean is that I had Tivo-ed channel 11, put it on standby, used my cable remote to switch to and watch channel 5 and when I went back to watch the recorded channel 11, the parts of channel 5 that I watched were recorded on Tivo.) Am I explaining this well?

Newbie Denise
Did you use your cable box to change channels? If you did, that was your mistake. You can't change the channel on your cable box. Only on your TV.

And if you have a cable box, the standby trick won't work without a splitter.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 02:07 PM   #63
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by msacks
I think I see. To do this I would need to go directly from my cable box into my TV bypassing TiVo altogether, right?
No, you have to skip the cable box too, and just watch through the TV tuner. You won't be able to watch the channels that the cable box decodes though.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 03:08 PM   #64
MiamiRay

Note

Quote:
Originally posted by jlb
I was the same way last January 14th when I got mine.

I guess one of the first rules of TiVO owning should be, run guided set-up, create you SP list and WL, and then take a 1 week vacation.
But there is another answer!

Im a newbie, got Tivo a week ago. I had that same problem. Like you guys I had nothing to watch and not wanting to screw up Tivo's recording activity by watching live TV.

So I got a cable splitter and connected a separate line direct to the TV from BEFORE the cable box and Tivo. Then I was able to watch live TV on all but the premium channels, without bothering the TIVO by using my TV tuner.

There is a help on doing that in the Tivo manual and on the official Tivo site.

Of course this advice is for Tivo with cable. If you have DirectTV you dont have the problem, because you get two tuners.

... hope that helps someone.
MiamiRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 07:03 PM   #65
deniseg

Oh! I get it now! I knew it sounded too easy!! Thanks!

Denise
deniseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:52 PM   #66
jhimmel

Re: Answers to my newbie questions

Quote:
Originally posted by mizterd99

6. What's the deal with standby (TiVo Central -> Messages & Setup -> Standby)?

Standby works like so:
[*]The live buffer will remain on unless you have a Series 1 DirecTiVo.
In the case of the HDVR2 (DerecTiVo series-2), the live buffer stops while in "Standby".

Jim H
jhimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:54 PM   #67
GaScott

Quote:
Originally posted by gleffler
Might wanna link to the broadband setup threads for people that don't have free local calls or don't have a local POP.
...or who simply don't want to fool with getting a phone line just for the Tivo, like myself.

Scott
GaScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:01 PM   #68
GaScott

Re: More newbie advise - just wait!

Quote:
Originally posted by lloydgm
So newbies, the hard lesson is: Be patient while your Tivo acquires your likes and in at least 3 days time (technically even shorter depending on your TV watching style) you'll no longer have to watch Live TV.
ha! I didn't have that problem. I spent an hour and a half after I set up my Tivo entering programs to record. The next night after I got home from work, I had four Seinfelds, five Roseannes, two In the Heat of the Nights, and one Sabrina waiting for me. That's been two months ago and I'm still trying to catch up!

Scott
GaScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:36 PM   #69
Blitzburgh

Re: Thanks again to northrk

Quote:
Originally posted by DMHinCO
Mike, it is much prettier in its MS Word format, which is zipped in the link above, but here it is pasted.

TiVo Central
TiVo - Now Playing
1 - Season Pass Manager
2 - To Do List
3 - Search Using WishLists
4 - Search By Title
5 - Browse By Channel
6 - Browse By Time
7 - Record Time/Channel
8 - TiVo's Suggestions
9 - Showcases
0 - Play the cartoon intro sequence

Program List Screens
CHAN UP/DOWN - Page Up/Down. Look for up and/or down arrows with underline along the right of screen.
PLAY - Starts highlighted recording. (Now Playing only)
CLEAR - Jumps to delete confirmation panel. (Now Playing, To Do List, Season Pass, and WishLists)

Program Information Screens
CHAN UP/DOWN - Shows previous/next program title. Look for up and/or down arrows with underline along the right of screen.
DISPLAY - Shows more detailed program information, such as bit actors, Original Air Date.
PLAY - Starts recording. (Now Playing only)
CLEAR - Jumps to delete confirmation panel. (Now Playing, To Do List, Season Pass, and WishLists)

Text Input Screens
0 - Starts at the top of the list. (Search by Title and Actor/Director WishLists only)
FWD - Inserts a space.
BACK - Backspace
CLEAR - Clear the entire field.
SLOW - Enter the wild card symbol (*), means it will match any word that starts with the previous letters. (Keyword and Title WishLists only)
PAUSE - Quotes (") to limit search results to explicit word combinations.
Special Characters - Hyphens (-), slashes (/) and periods (.) should be replaced by spaces. Any other marks, such as apostrophes ('), asterisks (*) and ampersands (&), are ignored.

Live TV
LIVE TV/GUIDE - Press once to enter Live TV from Tivo menus and again to bring up Program Guide, once again to return to Live TV.
DISPLAY - Press once to display the Channel Banner in its large version. Press again to remove. RIGHT ARROW also works when no banner is visible.
RIGHT ARROW - Pressing RIGHT arrow while the banner is visible cycles between a small, medium and large version of the banner, each with a different amount of information. This sets the size of banner displayed while changing channels.
CLEAR - hides graphics that aren't part of the program (status bar, channel banner, Tivomatic). Helpful when picture is paused to see entire screen.
FWD - Fast Forward with three speeds (3x, 20x, 60x). Acts as single frame forward when pause or slow in effect.
BACK - Rewind with three speeds (3x, 20x, 60x). Acts as single frame back when pause or slow in effect.
RECORD - To record the program you're watching. This will also include any earlier part of the program that is in the Live TV buffer. The recording will stop automatically when the program ends. You can stop it before that by pressing the RECORD button.
ENTER/JUMP - jump back to the last channel you were on, same tuner.
DOWN ARROW - Jump to alternate tuner. Also available from the large channel banner.

Live TV Program Guide
DISPLAY - Shows panel to change guide attributes, including guide style to DirecTV Grid or Tivo Live Guide.
BACK/FWD - DirecTV Grid Only: Page Left/Right to view past/future program schedule in 1-˝ hour increments. Tivo Live Guide Only: When cursor is on the right side panel, listing programs for a specific channel, use as single channel up/down.
UP ARROW - Tivo Live Guide Only: On the right side panel, listing programs for a specific channel, use UP ARROW to view past program schedule, as much as remains in the guide database.

Tivomatic
This Icon appears during a commercial for upcoming programs. Also works in recorded programs.
THUMBS UP or SELECT - Will bring up Program Information Panel for upcoming program in ad.

Music Channels
DISPLAY or RIGHT ARROW - brings back song information after screen saver kicks in after 5 minutes of no remote activity.
Do these "codes" work on the 3.2 version?
Blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:39 PM   #70
BrettStah

Yes.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 05:21 PM   #71
2mrchio

Note Cheers

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Very useful information.
2mrchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 01:41 PM   #72
beetle_boy

I am newbie .. I enjoyed being able to rewind a speech on the Academy Awards for a joke I missed and waking up to a bunch of car programs.. my problem is I didn't understand the inability to watch live tv while recording .. I have no cable box cable with a splitter that sends second cable to tv in bedroom .. is there such a thing as a three way splitter or does that degrade signal too much?

My wife hates the TiVo sound (when FF'ing, chanigng channels, navigating menus) is there a way to turn the blink blink sound off?

thanks
Old 03-27-2003, 09:51 AM   #73
bluemidnight

Yes you can get a three way splitter and it shouldn't decrease the signal THAT bad. To turn off volume in the Tivo just go into the menus and turn volume off. I beleive it's in the personal reference menu.
bluemidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 11:49 PM   #74
Rose4uKY

I am so new to Tivo that I have so much to learn. I just got my 80 hour box hooked up last night? I picked out a show and hit record and just got home from work and haven'[t checked it yet. Thing is I have digital cable before the actual digital cable box had to be on the exact channel you were recording TV & VCR stayed on 4. Tonight my digital cable box was on 43 when I left and I was recording something on 7. Doesn't Tivo change the digital box? Mine is still on 43 but maybe it still recorded 7 and is on 43 I haven't checked yet. I am so amazed as to what this can do..

My other thing is it asked me if my cable number had 2 or 3 digits I have digital 150 plus so I have 3 numbers. Well when changing the channels of the digital box cause your tv stays on 4 it would change 02 03 and so forth. Now it goes 002 003 and for some reason when I take my digital cable remote and change the channels it takes a long time now. It used to change right away. Why is that? You push up on the channel button once and it takes 10 seconds or more before it even changes. And when I do the channel button on the Tivo remote which I wish controlled the cable box also it brings up Tivos info and sometimes the digital cables info pops up. I just go it going last night late so I am going to sit down now read the book and play with it. I want to know exactally how to set it tape all my shows and to set it to delete stuff after so long. Rose

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 01:00 AM   #75
Rose4uKY

Ok I am replying to my own post. I am starting to really figure out Tivo. I set it to record several season passes. Haven't tried a wish list yet or anything else. This thing amazes me and is so awesome. I have just a couple more quick questions. Ok when I am watching a show and a commercial comes on I usually hit the FF button twice but then I have to hit play for it to come back on is that how its suppose to work? On my VCR I could hit this commercial skip button up to 3 times and usually 3 times did it but it stopped on its own. On Tivo when your FF throguh commercials can it not stop on it's own? I still don't understand the

Mapping the skip to end button to skip 30 seconds:
Just hit S-P-S-3-0-S (where 'S' = Select, 'P' = Play) on your remote. The 'skip-to-end' button on your remote will now do a 30-skip.
Exactally what does that do and what screen do I need to be at to do that? Sorry i read it but still don't understand it.

I also don't understand If you set it to tape an awards show like someone said does it go by its own guide? Like if it says 9-11 and it was to go over are you saying Tivo wouldn't catch that and pick it up? I thought like if a ballgame was on and it went over and friends for instance started 10 minutes late Tivo would catch that and you would get your whole episode of Friends.

And last question? I did set up seasons passes of several shows. My TV is an old 25 inch Maganvox TV about 12 years old. But it works. I read that the higher the quality you record in the less hours you have on your hard drive. Whats the normal quality to record? If I am just taping soaps and some nightly sitcoms that I will delete in a few days whats best for me? I want to have a decent quality show and get the most hours out of my hard drive. Thanks, Rose

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:27 AM   #76
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Rose4uKY
Ok I am replying to my own post. I am starting to really figure out Tivo. I set it to record several season passes. Haven't tried a wish list yet or anything else. This thing amazes me and is so awesome. I have just a couple more quick questions. Ok when I am watching a show and a commercial comes on I usually hit the FF button twice but then I have to hit play for it to come back on is that how its suppose to work? On my VCR I could hit this commercial skip button up to 3 times and usually 3 times did it but it stopped on its own. On Tivo when your FF throguh commercials can it not stop on it's own? I still don't understand the

Mapping the skip to end button to skip 30 seconds:
Just hit S-P-S-3-0-S (where 'S' = Select, 'P' = Play) on your remote. The 'skip-to-end' button on your remote will now do a 30-skip.
Exactally what does that do and what screen do I need to be at to do that? Sorry i read it but still don't understand it.
Basically, you have 2 options:
1) Use the fast forward like normal. If you do 2 or 3 fast-forward presses, when you see the show come on you can hit play and Tivo will jump back a little bit so you don't miss the start of the show.
2) Turn on 30-sec skip like you mentioned above. All this does is causes the skip-to-tick button automatically jump ahead 30 seconds. Because most commercial breaks are in exact minute or half-minute increments, a lot of people find that pressing the skip button a couple times will whizz through the commercials.

I personally really like the way fast forward works. There is no commercial skip on TiVo and likely won't be one for awhile due to legal reasons.
Quote:

I also don't understand If you set it to tape an awards show like someone said does it go by its own guide? Like if it says 9-11 and it was to go over are you saying Tivo wouldn't catch that and pick it up? I thought like if a ballgame was on and it went over and friends for instance started 10 minutes late Tivo would catch that and you would get your whole episode of Friends.
TiVo will only record what it is scheduled to in the guide.....no more and no less. If for instance the guide contains information that says Friends will be "Supersized" and runs for 40 minutes, then TiVo will correctly catch this. The thing with this is the extra 10 minutes may cause you to either miss another lower-priority season pass or cause you to miss Friends if a higher-priority season pass is overlapping that 10 minutes.

Any shows that you expect might go over their allotted time slot, like award shows, sporting events or things like that you may want to pad. Since TiVo only records whatever is in the timeslot, you might miss the end of when it really ended as opposed to when it was supposed to end. You can pad the end of a recording to record 15 minutes, 1 hour, etc longer. Keep in mind that this also could conflict with other season passes.
Quote:

And last question? I did set up seasons passes of several shows. My TV is an old 25 inch Maganvox TV about 12 years old. But it works. I read that the higher the quality you record in the less hours you have on your hard drive. Whats the normal quality to record? If I am just taping soaps and some nightly sitcoms that I will delete in a few days whats best for me? I want to have a decent quality show and get the most hours out of my hard drive. Thanks, Rose
Basically whatever size box you have is the minimum number of hours. So if you have a 60 hour TiVo, that is 60 hours in Basic (lowest) quality. It is really up to you to decided if that quality is too bad for you to watch, or if you want to put it at a higher one. I personally think that if you watch shows that you delete in a couple nights, you could record in a higher quality and just make sure you delete things as you watch. I also highly recommend that if you are technologically inclined, you look into upgrading your TiVo. Then you can record in Best quality without worrying about space.

I hope this helps!
DancnDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 02:15 PM   #77
Rose4uKY

Newbie Here

Thanks for helping me. I do have the 80 hour Tivo the highest one best buy had. They don't make a bigger one do they? I need to read my book more and look into my season passes. Where is it that it has lowest priority and Highest for recording? One of the Tivo tech support guys that I had spoke to on the phone prior to buying had sent me some upgrade thing in my e-mail. I e-mailed him back telling him everything was working so did I need this upgrade and he said no. He also explained some more about the 30 second skip I was confused last night but now I got it to work. I love it now. It's juts like my VCR was I would hit the button 3 times and it would usually be just the right amount of time or it would be just a second or two into my show. So this 30 secind skip works great for me. I didn't know what that button did and last night I hit it and it went to back to the beginning or ended my show forget which one. So I had to start the show over and FF back to where I was thats where this FF comes in handy. And I love how when I press play at my spot it backs up a few seconds.

Tivo is too cool!!! As for quality I recorded ( I want to still say taped hee hee) a few shows last night in Medium and Basic just to see how they came out. Mostly I tape soaps and delete them within a day or 2 so I guess I will be alright doing the high quality. I think it defaults to the one underneath the super high quality. And it says with that you still get 35 hours I think. But I do have the 80 hour Tivo. I need to send in my rebate. Thanks so much for helping me.

Old 04-25-2003, 11:26 AM   #78
marjoriep

Thumbs up from a newbie

Nice report and suggestions. Keep em comin.
marjoriep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 10:42 AM   #79
birdboy

I hope this is in the right section..How do I set up a SP for Sports. I want to catch all the SF Giants and 49ers games but because these teams play home and away , the PG lists change depending on venue making it difficult for Tivo to hone in on something constant. For example, Giants@ xx when visiting then xx @ Giants. Also there's pregame and dated programs that it will record that I don't watch. I hope this made sence... thanks
birdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 11:21 AM   #80
gleffler
This one goes to 11

Set up an ARWL with title of GIANTS AT and category "Sports/Football".

That should do it, methinks.

Oh, and Welcome to the TiVolution!

/gleffler
Old 07-12-2003, 03:49 PM   #81
Debworks

Question InDemand

I have a question about Comcast InDemand Pay-Per-View while using TiVo. When I used Replay TV all I had to do was hit "record" on the channel guide and it would ask me to verify that I wanted to record the Pay-Per-View movie. TiVo does not. Do I have to go back to my old TV remote to request a Pay-Per-View movie to record and then use the new TiVo remove to record it? (I just got TiVo yesterday after my 2 1/2 year old Replay bit the dust.)

Thanks,
Old 08-11-2003, 02:24 PM   #82
buffstitch

2 remotes

I've had tivo for a few months now. I bought a second remote from tivo.com. It sure comes in handy. Between the wife and kids I could never find the remote and Tivo doesn't have any buttons on the unit. It was $29 well spent. I would recommend it to anyone with more than one person in the house.
buffstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 09:04 PM   #83
DMHinCO
Blithering Idiot

Or a dog.
Good suggestion, buffstitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DMHinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 02:15 AM   #84
stanoman

I have one of the new Hughes SD-DVR120 and I can't find where to set the recording quality. It's a Directivo Dual tuner, supposedly Series2 Tivo. I'm not real concerned about it since I have 100 hours or recording time, but it'd be nice to know how to modify this. I'm fine watching Simpsons reruns in "cable quality" mode.
stanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 02:28 AM   #85
winders

The DirecTiVo units record the digital signal from the satellite which contains compressed data. Therefore there is no need to for recording quality settings.

There is zero difference between the recorded playback and the original show.

Scott
winders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 04:56 PM   #86
april76

Arrow cable box not listed

Please can someone help me? i just bought TIVO and my cable box is not listed as an acceptable box. It's called a Divinci. Any ideas on what to do?
april76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 11:45 PM   #87
Rose4uKY

Cable Boox

My suggestion is to call Tivo tech support. I bought a second Tivo for my bedroom. My dad had just bought me a new 20 inch tv for back there. The brand was an off the wall one that I had never geard of. It wasn't listed so I called and they had me enter some code then keep hitting a button and waiting 2 seconds until the tv went off and it finally did. So they should know what to do. Rose

Old 10-01-2003, 01:53 PM   #88
toddco

I have recently moved and have been experiencing problems with tivo not recognizing channels and/or not locating certain programs when i do a search. These are shows I know exist and cannot find them when i do a search. I basically have to search by channel and then select the program for recording and then it actually does record the program it said did not exist. I'm sure there is an easy solution to this problem but unfortunately i am a newbie. Can you please help me? If you can respond via email to tber11@aol.com it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks a ton

todd
toddco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 01:57 AM   #89
smenzel

This is great information. Wish I had had this when I first bought my TiVo three (or was it four?) years ago. Thanks for posting.
smenzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 01:15 AM   #90
franksf

Survivor/Friends

I understand from reading all the postings that :
I cannot watch one show while tapping another one (with stand alone Tivo)
I cannot tape two shows that are showing at the same time

the first posting suggests that Tivo will record one show and then detect the next rerun of the second one.
Has anybody set their prefernce to record Friends and Survivor?
Were the reruns running set up soon enough that they could watch both shows the next day?
Thx,
Cheers,
F.
franksf is offline   Reply With Quote