TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2002, 09:26 AM   #31
viperfin

Two viewers in your house? My wife and I have a system so we don't delete shows that the other may still want to watch. We got this idea from someone smart on this forum, but I forgot whom. After I watch something, I start back at the beginning and FF to 5 minutes into the show (and hit Pause to avoid the autocorrect). I leave it there. When my wife scrolls through and sees the show says "resume playing," she knows if it is at the 5 minute mark, she can safely watch it and delete it (or delete it if she isn't interested). If it is anywhere else in the show, she knows I am still watching it and not to delete it. It works the same with the shows she watches first.

>> This advice seems to be the best current way to deal with the problem. But couldn't TiVo allow users the option of "marking" a program with one of the ten digits (0 through 9) as a supplement to the green light, yellow light, yellow exclamation system. After I watch a program, I mark it with a "1" that will appear on the Now Playing screen, meaning that my wife can delete it after she watches it. My wife uses "2" for same signal to me. Households could establish their own system for using the other digits. If households feel that this would "clutter" the Now Playing screen then they would simply opt to not use the marking feature.
viperfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 12:09 PM   #32
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
The first couple days are hard because you have close to nothing in your "Now Playing" list to watch.
I was the same way last January 14th when I got mine.

I guess one of the first rules of TiVO owning should be, run guided set-up, create you SP list and WL, and then take a 1 week vacation.
Old 11-23-2002, 05:58 PM   #33
Joey303
Gaga for Lala.com

Quote:
We got this idea from someone smart on this forum, but I forgot whom.
A Simple Plan

You know, when I posted it, it went without remark. I really thought that it went unnoticed.
Joey303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 12:12 AM   #34
lanikai

I am new here and wanted to thank you for the great post. Since I am having such a time getting started with my dinosaur Philips 14 hr TIVO, would you mind telling me if there is a site or board for newbies with set up problems? Thanks!
Old 11-24-2002, 09:53 AM   #35
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

I don't think there's a newbie-specific area, but this whole forum serves newbies. (I'd probably avoid the Underground area for a little while at first, though -- you'll know when you're ready to dig around there. )
Old 11-24-2002, 10:24 AM   #36
lanikai

Note

Thanks Hunter! I am definitely staying out of there til I earn my stripes and get this puppy to actually work on my TV. Once I accomplish that, the upgrade will be inevitable. I am thinking of getting the newer one for the big tv, too. The prices are pretty decent with these rebates out there!
Old 11-28-2002, 07:22 PM   #37
Directv&TivoGuy
Advanced Member

Great stuff

DM - thanks for the cool info. I set up Tivo with my Directv last night and I am completely in love with it.
Directv&TivoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 07:01 PM   #38
flare782002

can anybody help there. I am doing research for a college class project on Tivo and I want to know if any could answer these questions for my research.

1. How long have you had Tivo?
2. Who in your family uses Tivo?
3. What do you most like about Tivo? What do they not like about Tivo?
4. How many hours a day do they was TV? How much of that is with Tivo?
5. Do you use TiVo mostly for selected type of programs? (such as sports, movies sitcomes) ?
6. How was TiVO affected/changed their overall TV viewing habbits?
7. Has Tivo affected your commercial view habits? If so how?

If any of you have time and could spend a few minutes, copy and paste and submit these answers would be great appreciated. Thanks for your time...
flare782002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 08:16 AM   #39
GoodN

newbie says "thanks"

This information is really helpful, especially when you've had a couple of days to play with you new TiVo. I bought Tivo thinking I'd use it as a "VCR" but now I see that its really more like a "smart" jukebox. And I can't wait until it figures out my preferences. (Why it recorded "Home Improvement" I'll never know!) Thanks.
Old 12-14-2002, 03:01 PM   #40
mich

Should I get TiVo?

Hi,

Thanks for the info, but I'm still questioning whether or not I should get TiVo. I have a Sharp tv with one cable outlet in the back, and have a phone with only one 'jack' line in it as well. Is this a problem? I'm a bit confused.

I guess I'm wondering what are the downfalls to TiVo? I have basic cable through my apartments and my channels kind of suck Does TiVo allow me to get channels I previously couldn't?

And is it true that I have to watch what I'm recording on TiVo and can't watch live tv while recording something else?

And is the lifetime membership worth it? I understand it's the life of the equipment, but what's the average lifetime?

One last question - what do you think about the other DVR's on the market? Is TiVo the one?

I love tv and I do have problems recording everything - so it sounds like TiVo is for me? What do you think?

Thanks for your time.
Mich
mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 04:49 PM   #41
MLAKE1

Re: Should I get TiVo?

Quote:
Originally posted by mich
I have a Sharp tv with one cable outlet in the back, and have a phone with only one 'jack' line in it as well. Is this a problem? I'm a bit confused.
Don't see why that should be an issue. Think of the TiVo as a VCR of sorts, so it will run in the chain, and does not *need* a secondary input on your TV to use (unless you want to watch one channel live while recording another live -- you can watch a recorded show while something else is recording).

For the phone line, you'll just need a $2 phone jack splitter that plugs into your wall jack ... one line to the phone, one line to the TiVo.

Quote:
Does TiVo allow me to get channels I previously couldn't?
No ... again, in this instance, you need to think of TiVo more as a VCR than as a cable box or receiver. TiVo has *much* more functionality than your average VCR, so I apologize for having to make that analogy, but it's much more accurate in comparison to a cable box or receiver.

Quote:
And is it true that I have to watch what I'm recording on TiVo and can't watch live tv while recording something else?
Correct. You can watch a prerecorded show from your TiVo while your TiVo records something else live ... that's how most people would be doing it since that's pretty much the point. If you wanted to be able to watch one channel live while recording another channel live, then you would either have to have the second input on your TV ... OR ... get DirecTV satellite service with a DirecTiVo.

Quote:
And is the lifetime membership worth it? I understand it's the life of the equipment, but what's the average lifetime?
I believe if you figure it out, lifetime membership works out to be paying 19 months on the monthly $12.95/month plan. TiVos probably average 3-5 year lifespan, though I don't have any hard numbers on that ... it can vary widely. I say get it, go with the monthly plan to start out for a couple months, and then make the decision from then, once it has truly become an integral part of your TV viewing.

Quote:
One last question - what do you think about the other DVR's on the market? Is TiVo the one?
Many will obviously tell you that we'll all be pretty biased in asking this question ... do a search on the forum for ReplayTV (that's the other main competitor) and you should be land several threads posted earlier that cover these issues. My own opinion ... TiVo wins out for both ease of use and functionality (conflict handling, re-scheduling, etc.)

Quote:
I love tv and I do have problems recording everything - so it sounds like TiVo is for me? What do you think?
I think you answered your own question. And I think your answer is absolutely correct. TiVo definitely sounds like it's for you.

Don't forget that, to take advantage of the $50 mail-in rebate promotion on a TiVo purchase, you have to buy by December 31.
MLAKE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 02:46 PM   #42
mizterd99

Answers to my newbie questions

Hello. I posted 'Answers to my newbie questions' ( http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=90558 ) in the TiVo Help Center and someone suggested that I add it to this thread. Hope you find it useful!

I've had my TiVo for just under two weeks and I took a few minutes to compile the more pressing questions I've had as a newbie. Hopefully other people will find this useful. I got most (probably all) of the answers by searching the TiVo Community forums so it should be accurate. If there's something wrong please reply with the correct information to set the record straight.

[list=1][*]Is the ‘To Do List’ updated if an overriding conflict is removed?[*]Is there some kind of notification of WishList matches if the WishList is not set to auto-record?[*]Is there any way to tell how much space is available for recording?[*]If a show has multiple time slots and one time slot is pre-empted by higher priority recording, will the next time slot be recorded automatically?[*]Ad hoc recording always best quality (since from buffer)?[*]What's the deal with standby (TiVo Central -> Messages & Setup -> Standby)?[*]My TiVo (Series 2 40hr) lists ATT as the manufacturer but I bought it from tivo.com?[*]For (un)-supported internet update, series 2 <---> USB to ethernet adapter <---> cat5 cable <---> (DHCP server) is the cat5 cable a crossover or straight through?[*]Is it possible to organize 'Now Playing' display, maybe subfolders or something?[*]Are thumbs up applied automatically to anything (like a Season Pass or WishList item)?[*]Mapping the skip to end button to skip 30 seconds.[/list=1]

1. Is the ‘To Do List’ updated if an overriding conflict is removed?
Yes, very definitely. If you've got a big list of Season Passes you can look forward to a several minute wait after leaving the Season Pass Manager after making even the smallest change (like moving #29 down to #30) while it recalculates what it'll be recording.

2. Is there some kind of notification of WishList matches if the WishList is not set to auto-record?
Nothing automatic, but there is a list of upcoming WishList matches that can be browsed (TiVo Central -> Pick Programs to Record -> Search Using WishLists -> View all upcoming Wishlist programs)

3. Is there any way to tell how much space is available for recording?
There is no way to tell exactly how much space is available, however, there’s one trick that will give a rough idea: allow suggestions to accumulate. Since suggestions are always deleted first, you can equate a shrinking number of suggestions to a decreasing amount of free space (bear in mind that this is far from accurate).

4. If a show has multiple time slots and one time slot is pre-empted by higher priority recording, will the next time slot be recorded automatically?
  • If you have multiple airings of a show (which is not that uncommon) and one of them displaces another, TiVo will try to find an alternate airing of the second one and record that (the ‘second one’ in this case is the one that is lower on the list of Season Passes).
  • What it won't do is consider rescheduling the first show to an alternate airing, if the first has alternates and the second doesn't. That's one of the reasons it's a good idea to glance over your To Do List every so often.
  • Hint: When setting up your season pass manager, put shows that repeat often (usually cable channels) at a lower priority. This way if it conflicts with a non-repeating (network) show TiVo will record the show that doesn't repeat and automatically set up a later recording for the repeating show.

5. Ad hoc recording always best quality (since from buffer)?
The buffer is always recording in Best quality (series 1 or 2). On a Series 1 machine, if you select to record during Live TV, you are prompted to choose best quality (with the buffer portion included in the recording) or default quality (without the buffer portion). On a Series 2 machine, if you hit select to record during Live TV it records in Best Quality. However, if you are browsing the Guide and press record, it records at the default setting.

6. What's the deal with standby (TiVo Central -> Messages & Setup -> Standby)?
Standby works like so:
  • Reinstates parental controls (if you have them on).
  • Mutes the audio/video from the TiVo, and acts as a "pass through" if you have a coax signal going IN and a coax cable coming OUT (allows you to switch to an alternate input on your TV and watch live while TiVo is recording).
  • The live buffer will remain on unless you have a Series 1 DirecTiVo.
  • Scheduled recordings still get recorded, as well as suggestions (if turned on).

7. My TiVo (Series 2 40hr) lists ATT as the manufacturer but I bought it from tivo.com?
All of the 40 hour units are the same now. They don’t have buttons on the front, look just like all the other S2's but say ATT for manufacturer under System Information.

8. For (un)-supported internet update, series 2 <---> USB to ethernet adapter <---> cat5 cable <---> (DHCP server) is the cat5 cable a crossover or straight through?
Straight through. Turns out the only reason I had this question was due to a faulty cat5 cable.

9. Is it possible to organize 'Now Playing' display, maybe subfolders or something?
The list can be sorted using a code on the remote:[list=1][*]Be in the 'Now Playing' screen.[*]Enter the following on the remote: (S)low (0)Zero (R)ecord (T)humbsUp.[*]Press enter to switch sorting options (short cut keys are 1 for normal, 2 for expiration date, and 3 for alphabetical).[/list=1]
Notes:
  • It's a toggle and can be turned back off by repeating the steps.
  • Back doors are not required to be on.
  • Doesn't persist after reboot.

10. Are thumbs up applied automatically to anything (like a Season Pass or WishList item)?
TiVo will automatically give a Thumbs Up to anything you choose to record.
(EDIT: This does not apply to auto-recording WishLists.)

11. Mapping the skip to end button to skip 30 seconds:
Just hit S-P-S-3-0-S (where 'S' = Select, 'P' = Play) on your remote. The 'skip-to-end' button on your remote will now do a 30-skip. If you hit FF, then skip, you will skip to the next white tick (RW->Skip works same, but in reverse). You will need to reapply this code if you reboot.
mizterd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 07:55 PM   #43
DMHinCO
Blithering Idiot

Cool. Thanks for the additions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DMHinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 02:30 PM   #44
Laura H

Standby?

I just hooked up my new Tivo yesterday. I was assuming I could record shows while watching live TV. I found the article from DMHinCO very helpful. You mention using the standby to record a show and watch another. I have no standby button on my remote. I hope this is not a dumb question. I just don't understand everything yet.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:27 PM   #45
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

You'll find Standby in the Messages and Setup menu somewhere.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:59 PM   #46
jhimmel

Re: Advice from a veteran to a newbie (consolidated)

Quote:
Originally posted by DMHinCO

This applies to DirecTiVos primarily since lineup changes are forced on us with DirecTiVo. Set your Channels You Receive exactly the way you want it. Then go into favorite channel setup and "Add ALL." Then in the live guide select to display favorites only. From that point on, if DTV adds channels, you will not see them in the live guide. Favorites only update when you tell them to. Of course this does not prevent TiVo from trying to use those channels to record suggestions or wishlists from or remove them from Search By Title. Nonetheless, for most of the channels that get added, like MLB, most people do not have auto-record wishlists that would find shows there.
Did you ever check the following? -
My RCA DirecTV receiver used to do the same thing. You would delete unwanted channels, but some would pop back up again becasue DTV was doing something to push the linup. HOWEVER, I found that if I chose DESELECT ALL, and then added my wanted channels back in one at a time, new/unwanted channels never showed up again.

I'm wondering if my new DirecTiVo (HDVR2) works this way. In any case, instead of just de-selecting unwanted channels on this new machine, I went ahead and chose unselect ALL, and then added my wanted channels back in one at a time to see if it works. If you have not already tried this, I'll let you know how it goes. It's the difference between and "opt-in" format and an "opt-out" format if you know what I mean.

Jim
jhimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 07:35 AM   #47
Tivo4life4me

Some very good advice indeed.

TIVO has changed the way I watch TV forever for the better!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here you can search annonymously for anything, yeah anything, and find it instantly! 100% FREE, no registration, no ads, just what you are looking for. Give it a try and be amazed! You will want to bookmark this site if not download the FREE search tool for your own browser!
Tivo4life4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 12:25 PM   #48
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Re: Should I get TiVo?

Quote:
Originally posted by mich
Well, it depends on what your setup is.

The answer is YES for standalones if you want to have trick play available (pausing Live TV, FF and reverse) on the program you are watching.

If you don't care about that and are content to watch TV the ordinary way, use Standby mode. This allow the cable signal to go through to your TV, and you can then watch regular TV via your TV's tuner.

Sony TiVo users have a button on the remote to put TiVo into Standby (it's the round green button misleadingly labelled as a 'power' button). As noted elsewhere in this thread, with any TiVo you can put it into standby via the messages & setup functions off the TiVo Central Menu.

Jan

Last edited by murgatroyd : 01-01-2003 at 12:38 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:46 PM   #49
edrock200

Wow! Great post. I just skimmed through it so I apologize if this has been mentioned but one, the SORT code is very useful.

Two, I didn't know about this until I saw it on these forums, but when in the now playing list, open a show to see it's description then hit "Display" for even more info such as directors, more actors, etc.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:26 AM   #50
shnozyee

lock program

great tips!

question: is it possible to lock a particular recording (i.e. with a password, so it isn't accidentally erased)?
shnozyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 11:04 PM   #51
jradi

can someone add all the s-p-s features to this sticky? Everytime my tivo reboots I spend forever searching this board for the commands to put my tivo back like I like it.

I know, I should write the s-p-s things down or save them somewhere (which I'll do THIS time)...

I do searches for "select play select," "S-P-S" (which turns into a search of SPS - worthless) and "backdoor" all of which end up with too many threads to search through.

Help!
jradi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 12:00 AM   #52
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by jradi
can someone add all the s-p-s features to this sticky? I know, I should write the s-p-s things down or save them somewhere (which I'll do THIS time)...

No need to write them all down; it's already been done for you. Just take a look at this thread.
David Platt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 09:56 AM   #53
sneakers22

newbie question

when recording awards shows, such as the emmys or oscars, how can we manipulate tivo to record the whole program, when it runs over the end time? these always go past 11:00 est yet tivo stops recording....can anyone help?
sneakers22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 10:08 AM   #54
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

sneakers22,
The best you can do is add padding to the recording. In the recording options, you can tell it to pad the recording, say 30 mins or an hour and TiVo will treat this extra time as part of the program.
DancnDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 10:42 AM   #55
sneakers22

thanks for responding, does the option actually say "padding"?
sneakers22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 11:21 AM   #56
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I am pretty sure it does say padding or something very similar.
DancnDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:27 PM   #57
jlb
NCC-1701-D

In recording options for the program, there is a field "Stop Time". Just edit that field.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:27 PM   #58
msacks

Standby 101

Quote:
Originally posted by Hunter Green
You'll find Standby in the Messages and Setup menu somewhere.
I've read the Tivo documentation but can't figure out why anybody would want to use standby mode. Comments?
msacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 11:39 AM   #59
proepke

>>>I've read the Tivo documentation but can't figure out why anybody would want to use standby mode. Comments?

I thought the same thing at first....the instructions tell you about it but don't tell you what the point is. The point is that it can be used if you want to continue to record what the Tivo is recording but watch another channel. In the standby mode the Tivo continues to do it's thing and then you use your regular TV remote to control the TV. You lose the ability to use the special Tivo features such as instant replay, pause, etc.
proepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:52 PM   #60
msacks

Lightbulb

I think I see. To do this I would need to go directly from my cable box into my TV bypassing TiVo altogether, right?
msacks is offline   Reply With Quote