TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2002, 05:16 PM   #1
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Cool The Official TiVo-Spotting Thread

Have you spotted TiVo, TiVo logos, or other TiVo references in movies, television, radio, newspapers, comics, magazines, or other popular media? Well this is the thread in which to announce and discuss your TiVo Spotting, or just to check to see if anyone else spotted it first!

(Let the moderators' thread-merging begin.)

▘▘▀▌▌▘▀▘▌▘▀▘▙▌▐▖▙▘▙▌▌▘▙▘▙▘▟▘
▛▌▛▌▛▌▙▌▛▌▟▖▌▘▛▌▞▌▌▘▌▖▞▌▞▌▟▘

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.
HTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 05:29 PM   #2
sllerts
Mac DTivo Fanatic!

On Undeclared last night...

Tivo got huge air time on Undeclared last night. The big guy who's a friend of Eric's at the copy shop (is that the other guy from Tenacious D?) uses Tivo in...interesting ways. I forgot which actresses he watched for, but Tivo was mentioned a number of times.

Steve
sllerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 07:28 PM   #3
BuggyBoyVT
Siriusly Nutty

I wonder if TiVo pays for those mentions and boxes in the background?
Old 03-14-2002, 07:49 AM   #4
rastephens

TiVo got a mention on The "Rick and Bubba" show yesterday morning. Rick and Bubba have a syndicated morning radio show out of Birmingham, Alabama, and they have stations mostly in Alabama, but I think some in Tenn and GA too. I can't remember the exact context of the reference. I think maybe they were talking about TiVoing the Celebrity Boxing matches last night. They bill themselves as "The two sexiest fat men alive."

Rick and Bubba

Richard
rastephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 09:40 AM   #5
modnar

There were lots of threads about this months ago, but I figured I'd post it in this official thread:

There is a TiVo on Friends in Monica and Chandler's apartment.
modnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 10:27 AM   #6
TiVoMonkey

The gameshow "Beat the Geeks," on Comedy Central, often has a Tivo as part of it's grand prize on every show.

And a year or so ago, on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Stewart asked a guess if he had Tivo, and Stewart said, "It's great, I turn it on and it says, 'Would you like to watch the Simpsons?'"
TiVoMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 11:10 AM   #7
Dalebill63

Note

Tivo got a mention in an episode of the Chronicle (SciFi Channel)
Dalebill63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 12:34 PM   #8
LUVmyTIVOinKC
Best title ever, Dad

My wife told me that TiVo was on the "Price is Right" on Monday.
LUVmyTIVOinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 12:44 PM   #9
emjay

They spoke about it on Opie and Anthony yesterday
emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 01:15 PM   #10
joeinma

It has been mentioned in the Get Fuzzy comic strip the last few days. For those of you who do not get it in your paper, go to www.boston.com and click on the link for comics and then you should be able to go back and read the story line for the last week.

Joe D
joeinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 12:28 PM   #11
pin87a

Quote:
Originally posted by joeinma
It has been mentioned in the Get Fuzzy comic strip the last few days. <snip>

Joe D

Last edited by pin87a : 03-26-2005 at 03:02 PM.
pin87a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 10:54 AM   #12
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Re: TiVo sighting on Leno

Quote:
Originally posted by Philosofy
In his monologue, Jay said he watched a new show starring Yassir Arafat called "Grounded for Life." Kevin asked increduosly "You watched THAT?" and Jay replied, very nonchalantly, "Yeah, my TiVo caught it."
I can't merge threads myself, but I can quote from them here.

▘▘▀▌▌▘▀▘▌▘▀▘▙▌▐▖▙▘▙▌▌▘▙▘▙▘▟▘
▛▌▛▌▛▌▙▌▛▌▟▖▌▘▛▌▞▌▌▘▌▖▞▌▞▌▟▘

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.
HTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 11:09 AM   #13
GBaz

Don And Mike have mentiond it often (radio)
Adam form liove lines and also talkied about it it think even Drew has (radio)
Old 04-03-2002, 12:08 PM   #14
Tenacious Lee
Engaged-ass man

Re: On Undeclared last night...

On StreetSmarts the other night, one of the questions was "What electronic device's slogan is 'TV your way'?"

The host was shocked that the guy got it right, telling him that he's the first person to ever guess it correctly, and later started talkin TiVo to the camera when they came back to the studio (methinks he likey the TiVo)

Quote:
Originally posted by sllerts
Tivo got huge air time on Undeclared last night. The big guy who's a friend of Eric's at the copy shop (is that the other guy from Tenacious D?) uses Tivo in...interesting ways. I forgot which actresses he watched for, but Tivo was mentioned a number of times.

Steve
And yes, thats Kyle Gass of The D
Tenacious Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 12:16 PM   #15
TivoDaddy

Thumbs up

There is a late night talk show host here in Los Angeles (Mr. KABC) on KABC radio that mentions it once in a while. About a few weeks back, somebody asked him what was a gadget that had changed his life, and he mentioned TiVo. He went on and thoroughly explained what it does, how it works, pricing plan, etc. He's very well-informed, as somebody else brought up the topic of Moxi's new machine, and he went on to say that TiVo was coming out with something similar to their machine.
TivoDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 12:19 PM   #16
BuggyBoyVT
Siriusly Nutty

Moxi-schmoxi
Old 04-03-2002, 01:03 PM   #17
TheSimpsons

Arrow

Hmmm....Lets See:

Conan O’Brien on the Rosie O’Donnell’s show.
Rosie comments on Conan's show being on so late at night. She then says "I TiVo it!" (because she can’t stay up that late) Conan says TiVo’s gonna save my life”. (as more viewers are able to watch him if they TiVo his show rather than trying to keep themselves awake.)

Jamie Kennedy ( the Jamie Kennedy Experiment on the WB) /Roseanne/Conan O’Brien-On late night with Conan O’Brien.
Roseanne: (to Jamie Kennedy)-Your show looks funny when is it on.
Jamie Kennedy: Well we just premiered 2 shows….but hey you got TiVo, TiVo it!
Roseanne- “oh,ok” (in a somewhat confused tone of voice)
Conan- (saracasticly) No, don’t TiVo it, its not good for the networks. (ironically this is coming from a guy who works at NBC a major sponsor of TiVo) Looking into the camera: Don’t TiVo it…this is what you do..., smiles and trails off. Crowd laughs.

Conan O’Brian-During his monologue
Well President Bush gave his state of the union speech today. Did anyone see it. (Crowd is silent)
Conan: Wow, that’s great. I love America. (Imitating an audience member) Don’t worry we’ll get it later on TiVo.

Friends: Rachel tells her father that she got TiVo. Her father asks what TiVo is. Phoebe (Lisa Kudrow) replies apparently its slang for pregnant.

Friends Sightings: A TiVo sits near the TV in Monica and Rachels apartment.

Heres one which many people didn’t see ….....(In “the one with Joey’s Award-create an autorecord Title wishlist if you want to see this episode) in Joey’s apartment he is about to put an acting award near his TV, in the background, its not distinct, but if you look carefully, it is clearly a Sony SVR-2000 TiVo and a figurine of the little TiVo guy. The little TiVo guy didn't look like the standard plush doll-it was on a stand.

Saturday Night Live:

The latest Britney Spears one …Horatio Sanz plays a pothead college student, Britney Spears plays one as well. They carry on a conversation that makes no sense. A midst the jumble Horation Sanz says “Well I TiVo’ed that” Britney Spears responds with more nonsensical talk “Yeah, well at least its not red anymore.” –------Maybe she was talking about the record LED, we may never know!

Chris Parnell on another SNL skit: Plays a newscaster at a party with other newscasters- we hear him talking about Ally Mcbeal to some of the other news anchors. He says “Well I TiVo’ed Ally Mcbeal last night”….

The Weakest Link: Anne Robinson asks a question which is supposed to be an insulting question to the contestants: “Who thinks TiVo is a member of the Jackson Five?”

Undeclared: The one with Ben Stiller-its mentioned above.

Adam Sandler guest stars and tells his friend he got a TiVo. His friend responds. “Oh yeah how is it” Sandler: Its cool it knows what you like and tapes it for you and stuff. *Note he says TAPES.

Steven’s Dad has a TiVo in his house.

Steven asks his dad for more tuition money, his dad says he can’t afford it. Steven says “Oh, yeah but you could afford TiVo. Yeah, hell with me getting a college education, as long as you’re able to watch Ally Mcbeal three times a week."

Judd Apatow creator of Undeclared also mentioned it on his online newsletter. (there was a post of this somewhere on the forum.)

The Ellen Show-This was probably one of the greatest ones. Ellen mentioned TiVo a dozen times, explained what it did, and even had goofs about it.

Futurama - During the beginning of the episode when the giant “FUTURAMA” logo appears, there is usually small text written at the bottom of the screen. There are shorts jokes usually written there (i.e.-Place your eyeballs on the television set for cheap laser eye surgery), well on one episode it said: “Hey TiVo suggest this”, pertaining to TiVo’s capability or recording shows as suggestions (shows you might like).

The Rosie O’Donnel Show: Rosie is talking about the MTV show “The Osbournes” and how she loves it so much. She says "I honestly…I mean I literally watch this show everyday on my TiVo."

Rosie talks TiVo a lot! Anytime she talks about a TV show she will say something like"so...I TiVo'ed it. I seriously think her extensive, suttle advertising is going to sell units!

Then of course heres another TiVo comic...

-The Simpsons

Last edited by TheSimpsons : 04-19-2002 at 05:51 PM.
TheSimpsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 02:31 PM   #18
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Err, that's PvP, not PPV, and it's Player vs. Player. Just FYI.
Old 04-03-2002, 03:11 PM   #19
TonyD79

There was an article in Entertainment Weekly a couple weeks ago that said something to the effect that TiVo had given units to writers/producers/actors in a way to get cheap (smart) advertising, hence the name is starting to pop up on shows all over the place.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:00 AM   #20
trojanrabbit
Cat Nurse

Since I did not initially see this thread, I'll reference the one I just started here.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=53016

It appears that one member of Boston Sports Talk station WEEI's morning team has purchased a TiVo, and he was trading barbs with his co-host, making it sound like it was too difficult for him to set up. Looks like not much else will be said until he gets a chance to play with it over the weekend.

The afternoon "Big Show" also mentions TiVo once in a great while.
trojanrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 11:26 AM   #21
Jim Lash
Member-Fall 2000

Tivo was mentioned on WMZQ fm in the DC area this week by the afternoon DJ.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:39 AM   #22
phone1
?????????

This guy seems to have a bunch of TiVo's piled up in his office...

TiVo Series 2 60 Hrs. -> 223 Hrs.
SVR-2000 - stock
Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
phone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 05:50 PM   #23
JimSpence
Just hangin'

In case no one else knows it, but, that guy is RB.

Leo Laporte mentioned TiVo last night on The ScreenSavers on TechTV. It was only in passing when he and Patrick were talking about quieting hardrives in PCs.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:15 PM   #24
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Friends: Rachel tells her father that she got TiVo. Her father asks what TiVo is. Phoebe (Lisa Kudrow) replies apparently its slang for pregnant.

Friends Sightings: A TiVo sits near the TV in Monica and Rachels apartment.

Heres one which many people didn’t see ….....(In “the one with Joey’s Award-create an autorecord Title wishlist if you want to see this episode) in Joey’s apartment he is about to put an acting award near his TV, in the background, its not distinct, but if you look carefully, it is clearly a Sony SVR-2000 TiVo and a figurine of the little TiVo guy. The little TiVo guy didn't look like the standard plush doll-it was on a stand.
I loved the way they did this--for anyone watching the background of the show, it made it look like Monica and Chandler got a TiVo, then Chandler told Joey about it, so *he* got a TiVo and since Rachel was living with him at the time, she got to benefit from it and told her father about it.
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 10:34 AM   #25
askewed
Snoogins

H O W A R D

Howard Stern refers to recording shows as "Tivoing".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on Twitter @
askewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 08:29 AM   #26
Backhack
TiVo Rebel

On the Fox News Channel, the morning show Fox and Friends during the Mancow segment, Mancow said he uses TiVo to get the Ozzy show and that the hosts of the Fox and Friends should get one so they dont miss TV shows because they are to busy or not there when they are on.
Sony T60 116 Hr, Hughes HDVR2 (thanks CC), 3 Philips DSR6000 189 Hr 86 Hr and unmodified, 2 Prontos TSU2000, Sony 53 RPTV, Onkyo 787, Sony SVR2000 30 Hr, 2 Philips HDR112 45 Hr and 14 Hr Responsible for 14 TiVos in use, 6 upgraded
Backhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 04:09 PM   #27
mtchamp

My favorite celebrity mention of TiVo was on David Letterman. One night he was talking about some lame CBS special involving the Survivor series. He rolled his eyes and said "thank God for TiVo!" It turned into a catch phrase for me and I've often repeated the quote ever since.
mtchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 02:31 PM   #28
grecorj

Wow, I heard this today at lunch, too! As Pan Chun noted, lots of misinformation (no, TiVo doesn't take out commercials; no, you can't pause live tv for days at a time, etc), but very positive.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pan Chun
Today around 12:15EDT, on ESPN's Tony Kornheiser Show (ESPN Radio), he and his guest went on and on about how great TiVo is SUPPOSED to be...even though neither one of them HAS it! All their information was second hand! The guest (a sportswriter on the telephone) was more accurate than Tony was...Tony thought it would magically remove commercials or something...but for the most part, they weren't TOO far off the mark.

Now maybe someone needs to send Tony one...he goes on and on and on about the things he likes...I'm sure he'd do that with a TiVo!

grecorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 03:47 PM   #29
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
Cool ...Don't forget magazines...

Page 114 of the May 2002 issue of Automobile magazine, this month's "Collectible Classic" is the '68-'72 Olds Vista Cruiser. The last paragraph reads:

Quote:
Issues of nostalgia and cultural anthropology aside, the Vista Cruiser offers lots of space and, just as important, lots of hauling power. GM's stout-hearted 350-cubic-inch V-8 was standard, but the mighty 455 big block was optional. If you don't consider that sport and utility, you might want to program your TiVo to record That 70's Show.

Old 04-09-2002, 02:23 AM   #30
TiVoMonkey

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSimpsons
“The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson”-This hilarious episode will never grace our television sets again, it was taken out of syndication after 9/11 as the episode takes place in between the Twin Towers in New York’s World Trade Center as Barney (Homer's drunk friend) accidentally illegally parked his car there.
Well, this is off topic, but I saw your .sig here. This episode is still in syndication, as my TiVo picked it up last week. Hopefully that was just a rumor stemming from all the talk about removing the towers from everywhere. I'm glad it's still on. And it's sure to be in the Season 9 DVD box set.

Personally, I think it was blown out of proportion all the things they wanted to remove the Twin Towers from. It's not like those buildings never existed.
TiVoMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote