TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-15-2002, 08:59 PM   #91
SAFW
TiVophile

So does anyone know of a method to get MFStools 1.0 working with devices recognized as hdf, hdg, hdh, and hdi (the Promise RAID controller takes up hda, hdb, hdc, and hde)? How about TiVoMad? Is there an integrated restore/expand option like -zxpi in MFStools 2.0?

MFStools 2.0 worked like a charm for me with -zxpi, but now I'm concerned that I'll get the GSOD somewhere down the line.

SAFW
SAFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 10:51 PM   #92
Merle Corey

I ran several tests tonight, and here are the results:

First up, swap space tests. (All tests are to the same 40GB drive.) First with:

mfsrestore -p -x -r 2 -i /mnt/bak/mybackup /dev/hdb

I can confirm that the "default" swap works fine out of the gate. As expected, a 64mb swap partition was found on first boot; it's not a restored swap either, as the swap on my old drive was 128MB. So we have a little more confirmation on that front.

A little weirder: I ran the experiment again, this time with the 128MB swap (-s 128), and rebuilt the swap (mkswap /dev/hda8 ; swapon -a) via telnet. The swap definitely mounted on the command, and remounted after rebooting, but no further log messages were generated by it. So everyone who couldn't find any message at all? You may not be crazy, and your swap may be fine. Don't ask me, I can't explain this one.

A third time through, and I tried another swap prep mechanism: Building the swapfile with the mkswap on the bootdisk. I used: mkswap -v0 /dev/hdb8

This worked. Flawlessly. Tricks involved were having byteswapping enabled and forcing the old style (-v0) swapfile. The default was to a new style swap - I knew something was up as soon as that happened because the messages were completely different. Forcing -v0 generated the same messages as doing mkswap via telnet to TiVo, and worked immediately on insertion.

I'd love to hear from someone with a DTiVo who's willing to try this. rswift? I believe you were looking for a mechanism to fix your swap?

Now for the really weird part: It successfully ran through mfsassert -please with -r 2. This surprised me so much that I ran it again after zeroing out the drive - and it worked again. So just for giggles, I ran it through a third time, this time without specifying any -r value (theoretically defaulting to -r 2, but I wasn't taking it for granted). It worked yet again.

The only conclusions I can draw are either:

1) -r works for all values and drive sizes, and any mfsassert/fsfix issues are unrelated

2) -r works for all values of drives under a certain size, but fails for drives/combos over a certain size

3) -r works with a stripped out backup (-s) but not for modifying "existing" data - preservation of programs, adding a B drive to an already expanded A drive, etc

I'd love to prove #1 is true, but I suspect the reality is #2 or #3. It may be that only "native" MFST2 mods work, and that piggybacking with other expansion mods doesn't. It may be yet another space issue. I can't work any further on most of these until my new drive arrives (some time early next week, best guess).

If anybody has anything further they'd like me to try, let me know. I plan to try again, this time to do a combo of:

mfsrestore -p -r 0 -i /mnt/bak/mybackup /dev/hdb

and

mfsadd -r 2 -X /dev/hdb

to simulate item #3 (as if the data had been dd'd over) and see if that makes anything break, but I'm not going to have time to do that until some time this weekend.

MC
Merle Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 09:15 AM   #93
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

I think I was one of the first to report this on my SVR-2000. One part of the problem is that the older swap version is limited to 127MB. So you should get a message that the space was truncated to 133890048 or so when you run mkswap from the tivo.

Since then it's been happy.
stormsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 11:12 AM   #94
dougdmy

Lightbulb I got GSOD/reboot loop and here's what I did.

I posted this in another thread, but thought that it was more appropriate to this thread.

I used mfstools-2.0 and ran well for a couple of months. Then a few days ago, I had the GSOD/reboot loop problem. I had so many recordings on there, too. But I was very concerned about my Season Passes and Wishlists. Here's what I did:

I took out the two 120GB drives from my TiVo and used mfstools-1.1 to create a backup image. I got a message stating something about an inode problem and that it was trying to read the backup table (or something to that effect). The backup successfully completed. Then I restored the image using mfstools-1.1 to a new 80GB drive. I put the 80GB drive in my TiVo. On power-up, I got the GSOD and much to my delight, it did not reboot. It spent about 20 minutes fixing itself and then it rebooted and all seemed well. I deleted what was listed in my Now Showing list, powered down, and TiVoMadded the 80GB drive to utilize the whole thing.

So far (one day later) all seems well.

This got me thinking. Can I use mfstools-1.1 to create a backup image of my original 120GB+120GB configuration (streams and all) and then use mfstools-1.1 to restore it? Hopefully during the restore process mfstools-1.1 will create the mfs partitions in a way that will allow mfsfix to do its job and I'll have minimal programming loss.

Has anyone else tried this? It's an expensive thing for me to try because I would have to go out and buy enough disk space to store the huge backup file.

I appreciate any and all suggestions or ideas.

Doug (who is very sad because he lost the entire season of The Shield that he hasn't watched yet)
dougdmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 11:19 AM   #95
Robert S

I think this has been tried, without success. One obvious question would be whether MFST1 can read the larger blocks created by MFST2 (your minimal backup only captures the original TiVo partitions (1Mb blocks, even on an MFST2 restore) and doesn't touch the new partitions).
Old 08-17-2002, 02:22 PM   #96
Merle Corey

For what it's worth, I'm starting to suspect that the block size problem isn't.

This morning's test run involved making a fresh backup of my original 100GB (20 hour image, TiVoMad expanded) drive with MFST1:

mfstools backup -6so /mnt/bak/mybackup /dev/hdb

I restored with MFST1 to a 40GB drive:

mfstools restore -zi /mnt/bak/mybackup /dev/hdb

This gave me a 20 hour, unexpanded image on my 40GB drive. Booted, confirmed functionality, and even ran mfsassert -please for kicks (fsfix was successful). I then went back and expanded with MFST2:

mfsadd -r 2 -x /dev/hdb

Booted again, confirmed everything was golden, mfsassert -please, and yet another successful run of fsfix.

I'm starting to nurse a pet theory, and that theory is that the decreased swap needed by the larger block size may not be directly proportional to the increase in MFS block size.

To put it differently: Kevin (klincoln) is the only other person to test MFST2 via mfsassert with a known good swap. He tested with dual 160's and a 64MB swap - if I'm right, he may need 128MB swap to make it work, even with the default (-r 2) MFST2 block size. Kevin? You still watching this? Wanna take a crack at it?

Meanwhile, I can't find a way to break things with a 40GB drive, so there's nothing more I can do for now. My new drive is arriving Wednesday, and I should be done with burning it in by Friday. As an added bonus, I may be able to lay my hands (temporarily) on another 120GB drive, allowing me to test an extremely large (though 34GB shy of maxed out) config.

MC
Old 08-17-2002, 02:43 PM   #97
Robert S

How about reducing your swap? You could try swapoff to turn off all swap. You could also try manufacturing a smaller swap file and using that. If you could find a threshold below which mfsfix wouldn't complete, that would be an interesting find.

However, if you look at embeem's post on Tiger's MFS Tools 2 thread, it looks like he understands the swap issue.
Old 08-17-2002, 03:39 PM   #98
Merle Corey

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert S
How about reducing your swap?
I'm a little confused now. We already know that swap plays a critical role in successfully running fsfix. Or are you suggesting the establishment of multiple data points, whereby we can determine the minimum amount of swap required by, say, 40GB at -r 0 vs -r 2, and by extension determine whether the the swap size is directly proportional to the block size?

Heck, I think I may go do that anyway now, just for kicks. The real testing may once again have to wait for me to get the new drive, though, as I'm going to be playing with really small partitions to scale it down for 40GB (ballpark "minimum" at -r 0 should be around 18MB, meaning a theoretical 9MB for -r 2).
Quote:
However, if you look at embeem's post on Tiger's MFS Tools 2 thread, it looks like he understands the swap issue.

I didn't get that out of it. He just asserted that there was a problem that prevented fsfix from running. He wasn't even certain that it was a MFST2 problem, and said he didn't have the resources to check.

It may be that we're flogging a dead horse at this stage, but I'm not going to be satisfied without definitive success either.

MC
Old 08-17-2002, 03:52 PM   #99
Robert S

Yes, exactly. If reducing the swap breaks mfsfix on a 40Gb (and it may well be it's too small, but you don't have a bigger drive ATM), you should be able to find a threshold that separates sufficient from insufficient swap. It might then be possible to estimate how much swap a given configuration requires, and to test the theory that higher -r numbers require less swap for mfsfix.

To some extent you can't add much more to our knowledge because we need more data from other TiVoes (there are enough people reporting GSOD loops to suggest it's a real problem). On the other hand, if you're enjoying the investigation I'm happy to suggest new experiments. You've certainly shown that saying 'MFST2 breaks mfsfix' is an over-simplification.

I've PM'd embeem to ask what his config was - there's no earthly point in arguing what someone else meant
Old 08-17-2002, 05:15 PM   #100
jhburke

Thumbs up mkswap on DTivo

I just wanted to post my confirmation of Merle Corey's findings about running mkswap from the boot disk. I had previously tried to run mkswap from the MFSTools 2.0 cd boot disk, and ended up with a swap file which I could mount from the boot disk, but would not mount from the TiVo. Now, thanks to Merle, I ran "mkswap -v0 /dev/hdc8" from a byteswapped boot cd, and my kernel logs now show "Adding Swap: 130744k swap-space (priority -1)". I also received the error message from the boot disk about truncating the swap file from 133xxxK to 130xxxK as Merle also noted. I don't notice anything running any faster on the TiVo, however.

I'd be willing to try mfsassert -please, but since I have a DTiVo, I can't easily get a prompt. I guess I'll just have to wait for the green screen!

BTW, I've had 2 TiVos now for greater than 2 and 1 years, and have never seen the green screen, either before or after upgrading. Are they common or am I just having good luck?

John
jhburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 05:52 PM   #101
Robert S

I ran "mkswap -v0 /dev/hdc8" from a byteswapped boot CD

What does -v0 do? (Sorry, too lazy to look at mkswap manpage )

As for mfsassert, unless mfsfix completes it will blow away your current TiVo install, forcing you to restore from backup - so not recommended unless you've got a spare disk like Merle.
Old 08-17-2002, 05:56 PM   #102
horwitz

Question log file question

I did an upgrade last night (thanks to Tiger and Hinsdale, of course and to all the folks who answered recent questions (e.g., Robert S)) of an HDR312 from 13.6+13.6 to a single 120. Everything seems to working fine. I tried to look through the log file for "activating swap" (just after a reboot), but never found that text. Will it always be there? (I never even found "swap".) TIA
horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 06:16 PM   #103
Robert S

It should be there. The error messages from a failed swap activation are much easier to see. If you're not having problems with indexing, I think it's safe to assume you're OK.
Old 08-17-2002, 07:51 PM   #104
Merle Corey

Things to do with TiVo's when you're bored...

Ok, so I flubbed my guesstimate before. The magic number for getting fsfix to fail under -r 0 on a 40GB drive is 12MB of swap or less. 13MB works.

Useful trivia: If you have a TiVo that's greenscreen looping due to bad swapfile, but is otherwise of sufficient size, you can run mkswap -v0 /dev/hdX8 from the (byteswapped) boot disk and the TiVo will recognize the corrected swap, allowing fsfix to complete.

In other words, anyone who is up the creek because of having used -s 128...? It's fixable, without reimaging, even if the greenscreen loop has already begun.

Not-as-useful trivia: mkswap accepts a size argument, as long as the size isn't larger than the target partition. Very useful for, say, playing with swap sizes.

Useful datapoint: fsfix fails with signal 11 when there's not enough swap space. This is the same signal Kevin got with his dual 160's and a 64MB swap.

Robert, the short answer your question: -v0 sets an old style swap, the same variety TiVo uses. The mkswap included in the bootdisks defaults to the new style, which is incompatible. (Of course, the newer version is also more efficient, on those systems that recognize it...)

John, glad to hear it worked for you. I can't really answer your question about greenscreens - I've had my TiVo's (2) for a year, and never had one that I hadn't caused. Others aren't as lucky. The swap shouldn't make any performance difference - having run top on my TiVo a few times, I can confirm that the swap doesn't get touched in normal use, and even most abnormal use. I'm not an authority on the subject, but it may only really get utilized when fsfix is running.

I'm off to generate a magic number for -r 2. I'm not certain that I'm going to be able to determine a scale based on these results alone, so I may redo this process when the new drive arrives.

MC

(Edit: Typo fix)
Old 08-17-2002, 09:51 PM   #105
Robert S

So, your theory at the moment is that TiVoes caught in a green screen loop are just running out of swap afterall?

Two suggestions for making more swap for emergencies:

Create a swap file on /var (hda9 is 64Mb, of which most is probably rubbish).

Create a swap partition on your inactive root partition. hda4/7 is 128Mb, you can have multiple swap partitions/file active even if no single swap entity can be more than 128Mb.

Both of those are fairly heavy duty Unix hacks (and wouldn't work on DTiVoes), but they might provide an emergency rescue option.

I was beginning to wonder if you were a special case, but being able to break/fix mfsfix by tweaking the swap size suggests these results will apply to all TiVoes. You may very well have found a fix for the second MFS Tools 2.0 problem.
Old 08-17-2002, 11:06 PM   #106
Merle Corey

Yep, that's my working theory.

Oh, and a note on the emergency swap suggestions: If you need to implement one of these, you'll also need to update /etc/fstab in the active root partition to include the added swap space(s). Theoretically speaking, if you have a single drive config, you could also put a second drive in place with a swap partition or two on it. Again, caveats regarding fstab and hackable TiVo's apply.

I finished the second phase of testing, and got some interesting results. The magic swap number for -r 2? 13MiB.

Either the improvement is subtle and beyond my measurement (I moved in increments of 1MiB, so theoretically, there could be up to 1023KiB difference) or the improvement isn't significant on a 40GB drive (a possibility, since only about 18GB is providing "new" space). Either way, it looks like the swap requirements for MFST2 may be almost exactly the same as they were for all previous methods.

It wouldn't be a bug in MFST2 as much as a serious misconception as to how fsfix works. On top of that, it seems to indicate that 64MiB of swap probably isn't enough for the larger drive configs.

For what it's worth, I hacked out some estimates of swap requirements and system RAM utilization. Specifically, about 6MiB of system RAM is used in the fsfix process, and the total RAM (system & swap) needed for a capacity is about 512KiB per GiB of total drive capacity.

It can be approximated as:

(SwapMiB + 6MiB) = (DriveCapacityGiB*(512KiB/GiB))/(1024KiB/MiB)

Or more simply:

.5*DriveCapacityGiB = TotalSwapMiB

If I'm right, this means that people with dual 160's should have enough swap at 128MiB, regardless of the method used. Of course, this is on a SA w/16MiB RAM - people with 32MiB are probably in slightly better shape.

(For the pedantically inclined, I specified the difference between binary GiB/MiB/KiB and decimal GB/MB/KB. This isn't something I usually pay much attention to, but it plays a significant role here - DriveCapacity in GiB vs GB is the difference between "just enough" and "not enough" swap at the 256GiB/274GB mark.)

I'll run these tests again when I've got a 120GB drive in place - it should at least tell me how significant the difference is between -r 0 and -r 2, but I'm not expecting big changes in the results.

Meanwhile, I think we've definitely got some food for thought.

MC

(Edited to clean up some phrasing)

Last edited by Merle Corey : 08-18-2002 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-18-2002, 12:36 AM   #107
dougdmy

Question Re: Things to do with TiVo's when you're bored...

Quote:
Originally posted by Merle Corey

Useful trivia: If you have a TiVo that's greenscreen looping due to bad swapfile, but is otherwise of sufficient size, you can run mkswap -v0 /dev/hdX8 from the (byteswapped) boot disk and the TiVo will recognize the corrected swap, allowing fsfix to complete.

In other words, anyone who is up the creek because of having used -s 128...? It's fixable, without reimaging, even if the greenscreen loop has already begun.
I'm still getting my feet wet with this and I don't want to do anything irreversible. So I'd just like to clarify this before I do it.

First my history---

I used mfstools-2.0 to expand a 80+80 DTiVo to a 120+120 DTiVo by using this command:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -xzpi - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

According to the README with mfstools-2.0, -s 64 is the default for the swap file size. I verified this by looking at the partition table, which has the following entry for /dev/hdc8:

8: Swap Linux swap 131072 @ 23894080 ( 64.0M)

So now on to my question: If I run

mkswap -v0 /dev/hdc8

and put the drives back in my DTiVo, there's a good chance that the reboot loop will be history and that fsfix will be able to complete. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance for your comments. I'm probably being a bit overly cautious, but I just want to be sure.

Doug
Old 08-18-2002, 05:24 AM   #108
mrtickle

Re: Things to do with TiVo's when you're bored...

Quote:

John, glad to hear it worked for you. I can't really answer your question about greenscreens - I've had my TiVo's (2) for a year, and never had one that I hadn't caused. Others aren't as lucky. The swap shouldn't make any performance difference - having run top on my TiVo a few times, I can confirm that the swap doesn't get touched in normal use, and even most abnormal use. I'm not an authority on the subject, but it may only really get utilized when fsfix is running.
Here in the UK there is so much guide data that the swap is needed for indexing after the daily call. You may have seen some reports of people's tivos crashing after two days...
mrtickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 08:05 AM   #109
Merle Corey

Re: Re: Things to do with TiVo's when you're bored...

Quote:
Originally posted by dougdmy
So now on to my question: If I run

mkswap -v0 /dev/hdc8

and put the drives back in my DTiVo, there's a good chance that the reboot loop will be history and that fsfix will be able to complete. Am I correct?
Unfortunately, if I'm right, no.

You have a 64MB swap, which may not be enough for your dual 120's - if my findings are correct. More to the point, a 64MB swap (probably) won't be helped by rerunning mkswap, simply because MFST2 seems to know how to make a 64MB swap without breaking.

You would fall into the category of needing emergency swap space, but that would only be possible if you've hacked your DTiVo's prom to allow modifications. How to do that is beyond the scope of this particular thread - try a search on "DTiVo" and "bash" either here or on google, but it's definitely not for the faint of heart, and goes way past just adding drive space. Even if you do go that route, you'll still need to eventually redo your TiVo drives to permanently expand the swap to 128MB.

Ultimately, you may be better off restoring from backup and writing off what you've got recorded.

MC

(Edited for clarification.)

Last edited by Merle Corey : 08-18-2002 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-18-2002, 08:23 AM   #110
Merle Corey

I never said it explicitly last night, so I'll say it now for the sake of clarity: If I'm right, the ">140GB needs 128MB of swap" rule of thumb is still true under MFST2.

That would mean - in theory - that anyone with 64MB of swap and >140GB could be subject to greenscreen looping, and may want to redo their TiVo expansion to use 128MB of swap.

Keep in mind, though, that right now this is a theory. Just because it was true once doesn't mean it'll be true always, but it's certainly disturbing news. I hope to add further confirmation to this once my new drive arrives, but it ultimately needs to be tested by more people.

Oh, and thanks to mrtickle for the swap info - now we know two things it's used for.

MC
Old 08-18-2002, 11:57 AM   #111
dougdmy

Things to do with TiVo's when you're bored...

Quote:

You would fall into the category of needing emergency swap space.....

Thanks for your helpful information. Currently hda4 is my active partition and hda7 is unused. I did mkswap on hda7 and edited /etc/fstab. I put the drives back into the TiVo and I got the green screen and no reboot! It seems to be working.

Of course I realize that this is a temporary fix and if fsfix successfully completes, I will have to rebuild (soon) from my backup. But at least I can watch some of my more important shows. I feel like I'm sitting on a TiVo TiMe BoMb!

Doug
Old 08-18-2002, 07:12 PM   #112
dobbie1

[quote]Originally posted by Merle Corey
[b]

Straight from my kernel log:

Jan 1 00:00:15 (none) kernel: Activating swap partitions
Jan 1 00:00:15 (none) kernel: Adding Swap: 130684k swap-space (priority -1)

It's very early in the boot process (you can tell because the date/time isn't set yet), but it's pretty easy to miss.

I know I probably keep missing the entry, but for the life of me I cannot find an activating swap partitions in my Series 2 standalone. The only indication I can find of swap is in \var\log\messages.

However, yesterday I took the upgraded drive A out and tried to run the option 3, mkswap. It did not work. I rebooted, activated backdoors and in the log \var\log\messages, Swap Total = 0, and Swap Free = 0.

Today I took both of the upgraded drives out and replaced with the original 60G TiVo drive. When I rebooted and activated backdoors then checked \var\log\messages, Swap Total = 65532, Swap Free = 65520. I still could not find anywhere in any of the logs where the swap partition was activated.

For the last month or so, the TiVo had been experiencing random lockups, normally after the daily call when the data load had finished processing. I intend to run the original drive for a week to see if I begin experiencing lockups, if not then I will put a second drive in and bless with MFSTools 1.1.

Hopefully, this info will help.

Regards,
dobbie1
dobbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 07:34 PM   #113
Robert S

Why don't you just dd the original swap partition over? (Method 2 on the top post.) Remember Series 2's are not byteswapped, so use the MFS Tools 2.0 CD and you should be able to see the partition table. I don't think this method has been verified on an S2, so let us know how you get on.
Old 08-19-2002, 05:05 AM   #114
kingmiwok

doobie1:
Just for your sanity... I have a series 2 AT&Tivo and can find no mention of activating the swaps either. (This is after upgrading to a 120/120 config using the -s 128 option and tools v.2.0.) My swap reads 0 and 0 in the \var\log\messages as well. I'm thinking now that series 1 and 2 behave differently in this way

I'm locking up every 24 hrs or so and I'm patiently waiting for a sure fire fix. I have not had success dd-ing the old swap over, or running mkswap, but I may have had unrelated linux problems while trying to do the fix, so YMMV.

I hope to get a chance to try again in the next week, so I'll post up results.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:30 AM   #115
dobbie1

Quote:
Originally posted by kingmiwok
doobie1:
Just for your sanity... I have a series 2 AT&Tivo and can find no mention of activating the swaps either.
Thanks! At least I'm not in the boat alone.

It maybe the weekend before I have the opportunity to try and "dd" the backup and see if that works. Will post the results.

Regards,
dobbie1
Old 08-19-2002, 10:56 AM   #116
Agent86
Registered Lurker

I'm confused. Someone throw me a lifejacket

I have an AT&T Series 2. It came with a 40GB drive. When I got it, I used MFSTools 1.1 to add a 120GB drive to it.

When MFSTools 2.0 arrived, I wanted to expand my A drive, but not lose recordings. I DDed the 40GB drive to a 120GB drive, and then expanded the DDed image on the 120GB drive.

I assume, based on what I have read, that this means my swap partition is indeed intact. So my question is pretty simple:

Do I have to do anything (i.e. bump swap to 128MB), or am I all set as is?

If I need to do anything, what do I need to do (comands to run, etc).

Someone save me!

- Agent 86
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 11:22 AM   #117
Robert S

You're OK for now. You carried your original swap over with dd, so that's fine (you will experience serious problems within hours if you have no swap at all). However, if you get a file system corruption problem - a green screen - you'll lose everything and have to restore from backup. The swap extending hacks we've been proposing require some fairly heavy Unix hacking and Series 2's are locked against that sort of thing.

If you do have to restore that TiVo's hard drives for whatever reason, it's probably best to use -s 128 to expand your swap. We don't seem to have figured out a reliable way to fix the swap problem that causes on S2's yet, so don't do that just yet.
Old 08-19-2002, 12:56 PM   #118
Merle Corey

dobbie1, kingmiwok:

Just another confirmed sanity check - series 1 also displays the swap info you found in /var/log/messages - it's as valid a confirmation as the one in /var/log/kernel.

What steps, exactly, did you follow when using mkswap? What boot disk, byteswapping or no, and did you use any command line parameters?

Theoretically speaking (I haven't been able to talk a friend into letting me dissect his S2 for some reason, so I can't say for sure...), you should use a non-byteswapping boot mode, but the command you use should still be:

mkswap -v0 /dev/hdX8

Where X is the drive letter assigned by linux.

For the record, has anyone with a series 2 been able to successfully build a 128MB swap?

I've been hooked up with an image now; I'll post if I learn anything new from it.

MC

(edited to remove image request)

Last edited by Merle Corey : 08-19-2002 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:16 PM   #119
Agent86
Registered Lurker

Robert:

Thanks for the lifejacket .

I'm pretty familiar with Linux, so command lines here and there don't scare me too much. I'm no low-level programmer or anything, but I can handle dd, cfdisk, and all their friends .

Hopefully we'll find a solution soon.

- Agent 86
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 02:46 PM   #120
dobbie1

Quote:
dobbie1, kingmiwok:

What steps, exactly, did you follow when using mkswap? What boot disk, byteswapping or no, and did you use any command line parameters?
MC
I used the mkswap parameters listed under option 3, but I belive they were different that what is shown now. I used noswap, but after looking at my boot cd's today, I may have inadvertenly used the MFSTools2 disk. However, I did find time today to try and "dd" the swap file with the commands listed under option2, only to find that I had no space left on the upgraded drive and when I tried to reboot with that drive to delete some programs, I ended up with a very "green" screen. I assumed my file structure was now corrupt and went back to the original drive with a blessed drive b.

I will be happy to try and ftp you a copy of my original Series2 image, with the 30 software. I am not sure why there isn't one on the ftp site. I ftp'd Stan Simmons (?) the image over a month ago.

Regards,
dobbie1