TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2002, 11:29 AM   #121
LisaD

Please help me. I'm ignorant to this and if someone could decipher/sum up this 6 page thread for me - I'd be very appreciative. I was going to post a new thread for people like me, but I didn't want to hog the boards.

I have a Sony SVR2000 SA. I have AT&T cable (net & TV). I have a Netgear router. I have a 15ish port hub. I have various rooms of the house hardwired to my cable modem & the above. I have RJ45 ports near my Tivo. I have an extra D-link USB adaptor. I have a phone line to my TIVO spaning 20 feet in the house that I'd LOVE to get rid of. Hubby doesn't know how to create/move the phone jack.

Questions:

1) Am I to understand there is a way to hook my Tivo to my system to be able to minimally eliminate that darned phone cord?

2) If the above is correct; Do I need to purchase anything else to make this work?

3) If I can pull this off; What other benefits would I gain besides eliminating the phone cord? And to get these benefits, would I need to buy the Turbonet/Tivonet deal?

I guess I'm just looking for a little help - or a summary of this because right now, you guys are pretty much doing the equivalent of speaking in tongues.

Lisa
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 11:49 AM   #122
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

You'll need TurboNet. Once you get the 3.0 TiVo update, you'd just plug it in and use the ,#401 dial prefix.

Main benefit is losing the cord, and not having the phone line used. Secondary benefit is that "calls" take much less time.
stormsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 12:55 PM   #123
LisaD

Well, that's pretty much a bummer. It sounded too good to be true so I pretty much assumed I read it/understood it wrong.

So I have to spend $70 bucks for a turbonet card. I could probably get someone in to create a better located phone jack. Or just deal with it till we remodel.

So then the only advantage to 3.0 with this is it is simply easier to install right? I have 3.0 and got all excited that I could pull this off with my existing system.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:06 PM   #124
LisaD

Whoa! I just looked at Otto's FAQs on this.

At the beginning, it says: "How to setup Tivo 3.0 to talk to Windows XP via Serial PPP -
The usefulness of this is clear: it lets you do your daily calls over your high speed internet connection without getting a TivoNet or TurboNet card."

Stormsweeper - I think I read your post incorrectly. I took it to mean that if I had 3.0, the install would be much simpler (just use the 401 prefix).

LOL - I told you I was ignorant! Back to reading comprehension class for me! Now - Assuming I already have 3.0 - Can I pull this off with the various hardware/system (as stated above) without buying anything? I don't need to buy the Turbonet card. Correct?
Old 06-14-2002, 01:33 PM   #125
bwiley

No Turbonet required...

No, you really don't need a special turbonet card unless you really want it.

I am using my Tivo over a serial connection with a null-modem cable and Windows 98 dial up server to connect over the internet.

With as much hardware as you described having and your obvious interest to tinker and hack with the Tivo, I don't think you would have any trouble setting up your system in a similar fashion.
bwiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 01:46 PM   #126
Otto

Lisa:

Perhaps a concept explanation would help.

The idea is to eliminate the need for the phone line. To do this, the Tivo will connect to TivoHQ over the internet. In order for this to occur, the Tivo must have some way of talking to the internet. This takes two basic forms:

1. Give the Tivo an ethernet device and route that to the internet.
2. Have the Tivo talk to a computer and have the computer route the communications to the internet.

Method 1 = TivoNet/Turbonet/USB dongle on Series 2 boxes

Method 2 = Serial PPP to a internet connected computer.

With Method 1 and 3.0, installation is damn near trivial. The 3.0 software has built in drivers and can recognize the card when it's put in, get an IP via DHCP, and the ",#401" code tells the Tivo to make the daily call over that ethernet connection instead. Then it's just a matter of having your network setup right.

With Method 2 and 3.0, it's easier than it used to be, but not as easy as with method 1. You need to connect the Tivo's serial port to a serial port on a computer, which then will route the communication off to the internet. That 3.0->XP HOWTO I made shows one way to do it. There are others.

Hope that helps a bit.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:11 PM   #127
LisaD

Thanks. I think I understand. But having a huge thick serial cable running to a laptop probably isn't going to add to my quality of Tivo life. Unless I keep it semi-hidden and just plug in here & there.

I guess I need a Series 2. Too bad because I just bought this around Christmastime.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:18 PM   #128
spankspank

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaD
Thanks. I think I understand. But having a huge thick serial cable running to a laptop probably isn't going to add to my quality of Tivo life. Unless I keep it semi-hidden and just plug in here & there.

I guess I need a Series 2. Too bad because I just bought this around Christmastime.
CAT5 can be used for serial data.
spankspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 09:25 PM   #129
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

Or you can just get TurboNet. If the aesthetics of having a phone line and the annoyance of having a computer nearby are too much, shell out the money. It's $75.25 + shipping for the turbonet and a small patch cable and whatnot.
stormsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 12:51 AM   #130
bwiley

Quote:
But having a huge thick serial cable running to a laptop probably isn't going to add to my quality of Tivo life. Unless I keep it semi-hidden and just plug in here & there.
Huge thick cable??

For the serial connection, I am using 3-10' sections of 1/8" stereo cables connected to the serial cable that comes with the Tivo connected to a gender changer and null-modem adapter into the back of my computer.

The cable for serial is not really thick or obtrusive at all. In fact, you could have it set so that one of the female ends of the cable could be on the floor near a wall or something (the other end connected to the back of your Tivo) and then just connect the male end into that whenever you were wanting to initiate a ppp connection?
bwiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 02:55 PM   #131
kyiakr

Lightbulb DHCP on Linksys Router

I was trying to connect my Tivo to my broadband connection today and did everything I was supposed to do but the test call was failing. I used the browser based utility to look at the DHCP setup on the router and discovered that I could view the "DHCP Clients Table" where my PC was listed with its I/P address but no other devices were listed. Then I realized that the number of DHCP users was set to 1. I changed it to 2. I unplugged the ethernet cable that is connected to the Tivo via the adapter from the router and plugged it back in. I viewed the DHCP Clients Table again and refreshed the screen a couple of times and voila ! another device showed up in the list. I tried the test call again. it was successful and was done in the blink of an eye !

Thanks for all the great info that allowed me to do this quickly and painlessly.

I have been "lurking" around" the forums since February and finally decided to get one of my own. I have only had my AT&T Tivo which I received pre-upgraded to 140 hours for a short while and I have fallen in love with it. Can't figure out how I lived without it ! I am so happy that I am on my own TV watching schedule instead of the networks.
kyiakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 05:32 PM   #132
bobb929

Intelligence Test

Yeah, I was having the same problems with getting the "Service Unavailable" message after getting the 3.0 update. Since everything was working up until yesterday I didn't think that I would have any problems - just ,#401 right?

After ~30 minutes of bashing my head against the wall, I realized that the problem was my router. I had a link light and activity, just no go. The problem was I couldn't get an address from my DCHP because the update had changed the MAC address of my turbonet card. My wireless router doesn't let me turn on MAC filtering for just wireless access so I have to turn it on for both. Turned it off, checked the log, got the new MAC address and VROOMM! I feel kinda dumb.

For those who don't know what a MAC address is, it's a semi-unique hardware address that identifies network interfaces. The reason that it never occured to me that this was the problem is that for most devices the MAC is not changeable. After some thought, I do remember blowing by a MAC address setting back 2 months ago when I first got my card.

I hope that someone can benefit from my folly...
bobb929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 03:57 PM   #133
mogwai

Dumb mistakes I can make with a Linksys router

For them that care, here are my dumb mistakes with a Series 2, a LinkSys cable/dsl router, a garden-variety USB ethernet adapter, and how I fixed them.

Dumb mistake #1) Failure of hope versus logic in trying the call without a reboot. (I know, already covered in these posts).

Solution: (TiVo) Messages & Setup | System Reset | Restart the Recorder

Dumb mistake #2) Turning on obscure router settings in my giddy excitement when I first got the router, and then forgetting about them.

DHCP was setup okay--on and giving out the required number of addresses. But the DHCP address starting point I had instructed it to give out was outside of the range of addresses that I had exempted from the requirement to use Zone Alarm/PC-Zillin in the "Security" tab of of the router configuration.

Solution: Either turn off ZoneAlarm enforcement altogether, or make sure that the range of addresses you allocate for DHCP (DHCP tab) is exempted here. Note: It has been said before and bears repeating: if your router has a Wireless Access Point included, you may wish to make sure that you are allocating the minimum number of DHCP clients necessary, and enable WEP encryption of either type to help prevent your network from becoming easily joinable by anyone with a wireless card.

Side note: I did not have to enable anything involving UDP port 123 to get the call to work.

Best of luck,
mogwai
Old 06-17-2002, 06:04 PM   #134
shallowpockets

Quote:
Originally posted by epsilondelta
Does the PPP serial method allow you to still use the serial port to control the DSS? I'm sure willing to hook up to PC once a week.
You can using my little hack, but it only makes sense if you have the extra hardware laying around (already using a Linux box for PPP and it has a spare serial port) and you don't want to open up your Tivo to install an ethernet card.

http://www.bdt.com/david/tivo/gateway.html

Just follow your favorite FAQ for getting PPP working, then follow the instructions in the link above to get DSS control via serial working again.
shallowpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 08:07 PM   #135
Mars

NEW QUESTION, I've set up the 3.0 ppp connection and have it working with Windows 2000. It only sucessfully connects when I force a call in, never on a scheduled call on it's own. Is this a manual connect only or is something not quite right?
Old 06-17-2002, 08:42 PM   #136
Laserfan

Note

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaD
Please help me... I have a phone line to my TIVO spaning 20 feet in the house that I'd LOVE to get rid of. Hubby doesn't know how to create/move the phone jack...
I think there are two other options that have not yet been mentioned:

1. Find another husband--installing a new phone jack is not that difficult.

2. Look into those "extension phone via power outlet" gizmos.

Idea 2 may be scoffed-at as I think some people have succeeded though others have had trouble. Idea 1 may I think be your best bet, but resist like heck any thought of allowing one of us Tivo nerds to approach you--none of us has a real life!!! We all live for our toys!!!
Laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 05:02 PM   #137
jonb

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto
Lisa:

The idea is to eliminate the need for the phone line. To do this, the Tivo will connect to TivoHQ over the internet. In order for this to occur, the Tivo must have some way of talking to the internet. This takes two basic forms:

2. Have the Tivo talk to a computer and have the computer route the communications to the internet.

With Method 1 and 3.0, installation is damn near trivial. The 3.0 software has built in drivers and can recognize the card when it's put in, get an IP via DHCP, and the ",#401" code tells the Tivo to make the daily call over that ethernet connection instead. Then it's just a matter of having your network setup right.

Otto, can you elaborate on this "trivial...having your network set up right"?
Say I have a tivo SA with 3.0 & turbonet card<>Linksys BEFSR41<>Win98 PC connected dial-up to my isp. Is there a HOWto available? What if later I get dsl or cable to isp? Will I still use the BEFSR41 or is some other setup required? I know I will need a dsl or cable modem. Understand, I ONLY want the tivo to make daily calls. I DON'T want to change any code in my tivo. And most important....will this be reliable? I keep reading "well, 80% of daily calls are successful". Or is that unreliability with serial connection only?

With Method 2 and 3.0, it's easier than it used to be, but not as easy as with method 1. You need to connect the Tivo's serial port to a serial port on a computer, which then will route the communication off to the internet. That 3.0->XP HOWTO I made shows one way to do it. There are others.

Hope that helps a bit.

jonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 12:34 PM   #138
Unclegeek

Re: Internet Connection Sharing

Quote:
Originally posted by hutchca

Oh, yeah. I haven't seen this mentioned yet.
DON'T RUN THE TURBONET/TIVONET INSTALL SCRIPT!
The drivers are already installed. If you run the script you'll hose everything up.

I'm one of those feeling really foolish right now... I ran THE SCRIPT!!

Now what?

I have a couple things I've gleened from the thread to try tonight when I get home.. (allow more than one DHCP client, check the rc.arch file contents)

I have 3.0 now.. daily calls broke.. pulled the hard drive and mounted it in the PC under linux boot cd.. ran the tivonetfloppy script.

I can ping & telnet to the Tivo now.. I added the ,#401 dialing prefix.. enabled DHCP on the LAN.. rebooted.. test call fails.

How do I undo what I did by running the tivonetfloppy script? How do I restore the 3.0 ethernet drivers if that is in fact what I clobbered?

Thanks for the help..

Unclegeek
Unclegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 02:08 PM   #139
shnozyee

Question series 2, 3.0 and a Macintosh

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto

I am appealing to Otto or anyone who can help clarify this for me (a tivo newbie)
I have a series 2 ATT, 3.0 upgrade and Mac (although I could get virtual PC to work on it if necessary).

My only goal in life right now is to be able to edit the titles on my Now Playing screen (to archive some of my son's videos).

Can this be done with the system/computer I have now?

shnozyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 02:17 PM   #140
Otto

shnozyee: No. Not yet. Tivoweb lets you do this, but S2 units haven't had the BIOS cracked yet to let you modify the kernel to disable initrd.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:29 PM   #141
Knouse

My setup: An unmodified TiVo Series routing through a Windows XP Pro box routing through a Linksys 4-port Cable/DSL Router (BEFSR41) running firmware 1.42.6. XP gets it's IP address via DHCP from the router.

I followed Geffler's and Otto's instructions with these exceptions:

I used the TiVo Null Modem cable sold by 9th Tee <http://9thtee.com/tivoupgrades.htm>. No gender changers or null modem adapters are needed as the cable the right connectors -- a 1/8 inch stero plug for my TiVo and a D9 jack for my XP box's serial port.

TIVONMCABLE TiVo Null Modem Serial Cable - 10' Long $7.95
TIVONMCABLE20 TiVo Null Modem Serial Cable - 20' Long $9.95

Like Spire I had to allow VPN connections, but I didn't have to turn on SPI Didn't have to open any ports.

I did several test calls and every other succeeded/failed. I'd just had a modem call before adding the PPP connection so haven't been through a regular call yet.

Last edited by Knouse : 06-21-2002 at 10:19 AM.
Knouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 10:19 AM   #142
jonb

Quote:
Originally posted by Knouse
My setup: An unmodified TiVo Series I routing through a Windows XP Pro box routing a Linksys 4-port Cable/DSL Router (BEFSR41) running firmware 1.42.6. XP gets it's IP address via DHCP from the router.

I followed Geffler's and Otto's instructions with these exceptions:

I used the TiVo Null Modem cable sold by 9th Tee <http://9thtee.com/tivoupgrades.htm>. No gender changers or null modem adapters; just the right connectors on each end to my 9-pin serial connector.

TIVONMCABLE TiVo Null Modem Serial Cable - 10' Long $7.95
TIVONMCABLE20 TiVo Null Modem Serial Cable - 20' Long $9.95

Like Spire I had to allow VPN connections, but I didn't have to turn on SPI Didn't have to open any ports.

I did several test calls and every other succeeded/failed. I'd just had a modem call before adding the PPP connection so haven't been through a regular call yet.
I am confused. Why do you need BOTH ethernet(which the turbonet/BEFSR41 uses AND serial(null modem cable)? Can't you do everything much easier and more reliably with ONLY the turbonet/BEFSR41 setup?
jonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 10:25 AM   #143
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by jonb

I am confused. Why do you need BOTH ethernet(which the turbonet/BEFSR41 uses AND serial(null modem cable)? Can't you do everything much easier and more reliably with ONLY the turbonet/BEFSR41 setup?
I don't think that person has a TurboNet, just using serial.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 10:32 AM   #144
Knouse

Quote:
Originally posted by jonb
Why do you need BOTH ethernet(which the turbonet/BEFSR41 uses AND serial(null modem cable)? Can't you do everything much easier and more reliably with ONLY the turbonet/BEFSR41 setup?
My TiVo is unmodified. It does not have a TurboNET Ethernet adapter. Hence the need to run serial to an XP box which routes me to my home intranet. Here's the configuration:

TiVo serial port -- serial cable -- XP box serial port / XP box Ethernet port -- Ethernet cable -- Linksys router

If I'd added a TurboNET card I would be able to go directly to the router, skipping the XP box. This would be the configuration:

TiVo TurboNET port -- Ethernet cable -- Linksys router -- Ethernet cable -- Cable modem

The cool thing about 3.0, and Geffler's instructions, is it allows me download program info via my cable modem rather than the phone and I don't have to buy an TurboNET card or open my TiVo. I do have to leave my XP box on but that stays on all the time anyway.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:03 PM   #145
ksv666

Hi,

I've been reading through a lot of posts on Tivonet, and I want to make sure that i have all the correct data. Here's what I have and what I have/have done:

Upgraded stand alone Tivo
Upgraded and blessed drives (2 - 120GB drives)
v3.0 (newly upgraded)
Tivonet
I used MFS tools to back up my machine originally
I installed the "kazymyr" suite (boot disk to enable Tivonet and ran the tivonet script :-( )
TivoWeb (this is really awesome)

So, I can telnet to my Tivo, browse it, but I can't dial out. It reports back a failure when it tries to dial. I inserted the ",#401" (no quotes) in the prefix, but it still fails. Do i really have to go in and edit the "/etc/rc.d/rc.arch" file? Should I copy over the files that this other post listed--> see: "tivonet does not work after using Kazymyr's Bootable Utility CD on 3.0"

Any guidance would be appreciated.

-Kirk
Love my TiVo...
ksv666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 12:08 PM   #146
rchaynesjr

WHAT THE...???

So yesterday I spent a few hours connecting my TiVo to my computer using the null modem option. Eventually I got it to work, although it is a tad unreliable. But it's still better than lugging the TiVo to my parents' house once a week.

This morning my roommate turned on the TV, and just as I was about to tell him that he couldn't use the TiVo remote to change the channels on the cable box (serial sitting unplugged next to the TV and haven't had a chance to hook up the IR yet), he entered the channel number he wanted. LO AND BEHOLD THE TIVO CHANGED THE CHANNEL ANYWAY!!!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I grabbed the remote from him and began changing channel after channel. All that is going from my cable box to the TiVo is the three RCA cables. And I'm sure that the remote isn't changing the cable box directly, as there is still the standard pause between the time that the TiVo registers the numbers and the channel changes on the cable box. I'm thrilled beyond words, but am confused as all hell. Anybody know what's up here?

Rob
rchaynesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 01:44 AM   #147
c3
TiVoholic

Re: WHAT THE...???

Quote:
Originally posted by rchaynesjr
Anybody know what's up here?
I don't use it myself, but I believe the TiVo is transmitting infrared signal to the cable box, through the "eye" on the front panel.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 09:48 AM   #148
Otto

Re: WHAT THE...???

Quote:
Originally posted by rchaynesjr
LO AND BEHOLD THE TIVO CHANGED THE CHANNEL ANYWAY!!!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. ... Anybody know what's up here?
Yeah, behind the "eye" is a built in, front facing, IR blaster. It sends the signal which rebounds off your furniture and gets seen by the cable box. It's highly unreliable. Hook up the little wired IR blaster and it'll work more reliably.

Oh, and unless you have a newer cable box that can grok the serial connection, you've been using it all the time anyway. Most cable boxes don't do serial channel changing. The few that do are very new-ish.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:58 PM   #149
draHeiD

Another question about 3.0 & TurboNet

I have searched this thread looking for an answer to this, but have not seen anyone address it yet.

I have installed TurboNet and configured it with the ,#401 and everything works great.

One of the things I remember reading on my notice that the 800 service was going to be terminated, was that there will be changes to how the data is delivered in an effort to reduce the length of calls.

My question (confusion, perhaps) is this:

Do I need to change the Dial-In number from 'TiVo's 800 Number' to a local/direct number in for the new features to work?

Thanks for the great thread and forums in general.
draHeiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 05:12 PM   #150
gleffler
This one goes to 11

No, what the dial-up number is doesn't matter.

/gleffler