TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-11-2002, 11:30 AM   #91
Otto

Graeber: Shouldn't be any more complex than adding ",#2xx" to the dialing prefix, where xx is the first two characters of the speed of the connection (like ,#211 for 115,200). Then, when it makes the call, it'll try to connect ppp over serial to the linux box. If you had it setup already, then you're good to go.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 11:57 AM   #92
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

3.0 doesn't keep a permanent ppp connection over the serial line. You should be able to start pppd on the linux box and it will wait until the Tivo side accepts. A more elegant solution is to use mgetty, which should already be installed on your linux box. You need to look up the AutoPPP option.
stormsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 03:00 PM   #93
Graeber

Hmm, I have tried this and no luck It is pretty odd because a few times I have gotten the test call to work but with no consistency. Never has the Daily Call worked! Darn 3.0! So basically a few times I have run my pppd command and the test call has worked but only make 3 of the 12 times I have tried. Any ideas? I was very excited because my 1st test call worked and then the Daily failed (service unavailable). I am using the correct value of 115200 as well.

(Also, I tried to set up my tivo using the XP setup that Otto described and this also doesnt work! I am able to see the ~plus garbage if I look at the input from HyperTerminal (yes, I also eventually see the "User Request" text) but I never get any indication that an incoming connection is coming. It is very odd.) My setup is a cable modem->Linksys router to my PC. My tivo is connected to this PC correctly. I am a little confused in this area because I am not sure if I need WinRoute or not. I think I do -- I just dont know what I need to do with it

Anyone, if anyone can help me with either XP or Linux I would be very happy.

-Graeber
Graeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 03:09 PM   #94
Otto

Graeber: My setup was like yours when I made that XP page.

Cable Modem -> Linksys Router -> PC -> Serial to Tivo

No WinRoute needed. I just followed the instructions on that page exactly and it worked, first try.

But if you have already gotten it to work on Linux before, do that. If you can get a test call to work only sometimes, then lower the speed of the connection. Without hardware flow control, it's a bit difficult to make it work consistently. I never did get a consistent connection at 115,200, but I got 57,600 to work okay 80% of the time. Just use ,#257 instead of ,#211 and set the computer side up appropriately. Failing that, try 38.4 (,#238) and so forth. If all else fails, give 9600 (,#296) a shot and see how it works.. This should nearly always work if your setup is correct.

Well, okay, so there's no 28.8 bps.

Last edited by Otto : 06-11-2002 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2002, 04:00 PM   #95
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

I'll note (as I have a few times before) that the pppd equivalent in Win2k (RRAS) doesn't seem to set up routes correctly every time. And the route command doesn't like the 255.255.255.255 mask for some reason. With 3.0, I just force another call when this happens. With 2.5 I had to reboot the Tivo.
Old 06-11-2002, 04:30 PM   #96
Saturn
Lord of the Rings

Otto: I've never seen a serial port that can be opened at 28800 bps.

Valid port speeds for most serial ports: (assumed dial-prefix)
300 (,#230)
1200 (,#212)
2400 (,#224)
4800 (,#248)
9600 (,#296)
19200 (,#219)
38400 (,#238)
57600 (,#257)
115200 (,#211)

Disclaimer: I haven't tried ANY of these, as I use an always-on PPP connection, and use the same prefix you use for Ethernet (after modifying rc.arch)

Edit: change baud to bps for the pedants of the group.

Last edited by Saturn : 06-11-2002 at 06:08 PM.
Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 04:32 PM   #97
Saturn
Lord of the Rings

stormsweeper: You must have a strange 2k box, because I've never had problems with the routing on my 2k box. And my route command accepts a 255.255.255.255 mask too (I've used it for other purposes).
Old 06-11-2002, 05:35 PM   #98
evvo

I have a series 1 that's been working just fine with my TivoNet card ever since I put in the Transparent-Proxy fix.

I just got upgraded to 3.0 and now all my calls fail. I'm assuming that it's due to RCN's transparent proxy. Is there a fix for this yet?
Old 06-11-2002, 05:51 PM   #99
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

Quote:
Originally posted by Saturn49
Otto: I've never seen a serial port that can be opened at 28800 baud.
<pedant>Serial doesn't go above 9600 baud. </pedant>
Old 06-11-2002, 05:57 PM   #100
Saturn
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally posted by stormsweeper

<pedant>Serial doesn't go above 9600 baud. </pedant>
i'm confused
Old 06-11-2002, 05:58 PM   #101
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

Quote:
stormsweeper: You must have a strange 2k box, because I've never had problems with the routing on my 2k box. And my route command accepts a 255.255.255.255 mask too (I've used it for other purposes).
Possibly. But this is a fresh install of Win2k Pro, updated w/ SP2. The hardware isn't even all that flaky - Celeron 466 on a 440ZX Intel mobo.

The route command that bombs is

Code:
route add 192.168.251.102 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.251.101
which should make the route, correct? but it chokes on the netmask. I've tried specifying the interface, too, but that gives a different error.

my Linksys router shows the leases for .101 and .102, and ipconfig shows the windows side of the ppp connection as having .101

It only seems to happen the first time the tivo connects to the win2k box after a Win2k boot. *shrug*
Old 06-11-2002, 06:00 PM   #102
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

Quote:

i'm confused
http://www.cnet.com/Resources/Info/G...erms/baud.html

Quote:
Most people use baud to describe modem speeds in bits per second--but they're wrong. They may say a 9,600-bps modem transmits at 9,600 baud, but really baud is a measure of how frequently sound changes on a phone line. Modern modems transmit more bits with fewer changes in sound, so baud and bps numbers aren't equal. However, only editors, pedants, and communications engineers now care about the distinction. But if you run into members of these groups, use bps instead of baud.
So even my pedantry is incorrect, as a serial line won't use baud at all.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:03 PM   #103
gleffler
This one goes to 11

baud != bps

/gleffler
Old 06-11-2002, 06:04 PM   #104
Saturn
Lord of the Rings

Your route command looks ok to me. ::shrugs::

Maybe it is something quirky with Win2k's PPP. I only use NT 4.0's, but I've done a lot of route manipulation with my 2k box (cuz the cable co sticks the different computers on different subnets, despite being connected to the same switch and cable modem).
Old 06-11-2002, 08:12 PM   #105
Kevin

Init Setup Over Broadband

I understand that you can get your daily calls on a Series 2 to go over broadband. I'm wondering if I can get the initial setup call to go over broadband as well?

I'm not an owner (YET) of a TiVO box and I have no phone line at home. Can I get a new Series 2, bring it home, set it up with my DSL Hub/Switch, configure the calls to go out with ,401 and make the setup call over the broadband?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 08:53 PM   #106
baadpuppy

proxy problem

Those with the "proxy problem" might want to check out this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=62830

That thread references the original thread where we could modify the tcl doing the http posts to "work around" the problem. However, with 3.0 having the tcl gone, there's no easy solution yet. Wish TiVo had managed to get that one tiny tiny change into their new code.

Current hardware:
DirecTV HR34-700 "Genie" + 2 C31 "Genie Mini"
AppleTV
Roku
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 11:20 PM   #107
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

Re: Init Setup Over Broadband

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin
I understand that you can get your daily calls on a Series 2 to go over broadband. I'm wondering if I can get the initial setup call to go over broadband as well?

I'm not an owner (YET) of a TiVO box and I have no phone line at home. Can I get a new Series 2, bring it home, set it up with my DSL Hub/Switch, configure the calls to go out with ,401 and make the setup call over the broadband?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Kevin
Probably not, for now. It will likely be awhile before Series2 units ship w/ the 3.0 software.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:35 PM   #108
bwiley

Null Modem answering but not "answering"...

I recently received the 3.0 update and my serial communications have ceased as expected.

I have tried to us the (un)supported ppp feature ,#219 to have the Tivo communicate over the serial port with limited (very limited) success.

When I tell the Tivo to test this setting, my null modem adapter does indicate it is trying to communicate ("answering") but then it just hangs up again.

Part of my modem log says:

Interpreted response: connect
Answering the call
Send: Hello
Conection established @ 19200bps
Error Control Off-Unknown
Data Compression Off-Unknown
Hanging up Modem
Hardware hangup-lowering DTR
Session Statistics:
Reads: 396 bytes
Writes: 48 bytes
Modem closed

How can I get the Tivo to realize it is connected and start communicating or get my Windows 98 null modem to realize Tivo is connected and start communicating?
bwiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 03:07 PM   #109
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

Try forcing a full call. That looks about right for a test call.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:18 PM   #110
bwiley

Theres a problem...

I would like to continue and try forcing a call, but it does not let me go past this screen because when I test the connection, it says service unavailable and will not allow me to go past this point.

The only way it allows me to get off this screen is to remove the updates that were just entered.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:00 PM   #111
TxPres

I have been using tivnet for some time. Worked great. Got the 3.0 on Monday. Added the dialing prefix and the unit made test call fine. Made successful daily call Tuesday and downloaded guide data.

Then, failed Wednesday daily call. (Not sure what the message was).

Tried test call. Successful !!!

Forced daily call.
First time failed getting Accout Status.

Second time got past that and begin downloading. After 3 min of downloading failed due to Call interupted.

Have tried several times. Always fails. Sometimes fails getting Account Status and somtimes shows Call Interupted.

I can look at the logs using the backdoor code but not sure which log to look at or what to look for. I think the unit is connecting to the TiVo servers but not sure why it is having problems.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

TxPres
TxPres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 08:52 PM   #112
timbck2

Arrow Problem with 3.0/PPP over serial

I have an upgraded Philips Series 1 SA with a dead modem. I had PPP over serial working reliably at 115200 with 2.5.1. After getting the 3.0 update (and of course losing my telnet ability) and putting ,#211 in the dialing prefix, I was able to get TiVo to "dial" out twice -- first a successful test call, then a successful daily call. But since that first daily call about a week ago I've only had one other successful call (in process as I type now after several tries and restarting my TiVo) -- most attempts fail with "Service unavailable".

Any idea what's going on? Should I try a slower speed (such as 57600), or is that a red herring? And if I do, am I correct in saying I should change the dialing prefix to ,#257?

Thanks.

p.s. In case it matters, my "host" machine is RedHat Linux 7.2, which is running NAT and getting its broadband from a Win2K box with a cable modem (ICS is running on that box). Yeah, I know it's pretty convoluted, but it was working before!
timbck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 11:48 PM   #113
Otto

timbck2: Yeah, I'd try a lower port speed. And ,#257 is correct.
Old 06-13-2002, 01:51 AM   #114
bwiley

What is the real difference between #2 and #3?

Does #3 add a username and password somewhere along the line? Or is it that #2 is just a direct serial connect right out of the gate and #3 does some form of script first?

If #3 does a script, is there any way to edit that script and add a username/password?
Old 06-13-2002, 02:16 PM   #115
tsawyer

I've had mine fail on Getting Acct Status as well last night. It took four tries in a row, but on the fourth try, the entire call was successful. Nothing changed between each try.

(This is with hdr112, v3.0, turbonet)
tsawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 02:41 PM   #116
richtuck

I am seeing the same problems that TxPres and tsawyer have seen.

I use a TurboNet that worked great before v3.0 came out. Since then I have changed the dialing prefix and the test call works fine.

But then, everytime I tried a daily call for the first few hours I got the "call interupted" message. The last few times that I tired I started getting the "failed getting account status message."

I have the daily call at least 10 times now and cannot get it to complete.

Could the server be extremeley busy due to the v3.0 rollout? Has anyone else seen this problem 'fix itself' like tsawyer has seen?

Thanks in advance.
Rich
richtuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 05:47 PM   #117
gleffler
This one goes to 11

The Call Interrupted is a TiVo problem at the moment and isn't indicative of problems with your settings. Read http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...212#post552212 for details.

/gleffler
Old 06-13-2002, 08:06 PM   #118
Spire
WAS PHONE

Question

OK, so I've managed to get PPP-over-serial working under 3.0 in conjunction with my Windows XP box. DHCP wasn't working reliably for me, so it's set up with a fixed IP address (forced range 192.168.1.105 to .106). The unit is able to call in over the serial cable with no problems.

Now that there is a new beta version of TiVoWeb that kinda works with 3.0, I figured I'd try to get that working to see what it's all about. I've never installed TiVoWeb before, so this is all new to me.

I downloaded and installed the TiVoWeb package, put a line to start it in rc.sysinit, and crossed my fingers.

The results: TiVoWeb works if I point my Web browser to http:/192.168.1.106, (not .105 - why?), but only while the unit is making a Test Call or Daily Call. As soon as the call ends, the Web connection dies.

OK, this makes sense, I figure, since the PPP connection is enabled only during calls. Question is, how do I change this behavior and make the PPP connection permanent? I tried reading up on various FAQs on the subject, but they are all written for pre-3.0 versions of the TiVo software, and I don't want to risk breaking anything by installing something that might interfere with the nifty ",#211" support in 3.0.

Would some kind soul be willing to post simple step-by-step instructions for the best way to make 3.0's PPP connection permanent, so that TiVoWeb can run at any time, and ",#211" will still work? I suspect that as the 3.0-compatible TiVoWeb package matures, demand for these instructions will increase dramatically.
Spire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 08:19 PM   #119
Laserfan

Note My TivoNet experience

Bought a fully assembled TivoNet card when it first came out, then sat on it (what's it been, a year?). Since I was upgraded to 3.0 this week, thought I'd finally give it a try:
- Set-up my Linksys router to give out 1 dhcp address.
- Install the TivoNet board(s), plug in the Tivo.
- Route the network cable.
- Plug into Linky and get a green Link light.
- Run Angry IP Scanner. No joy. No can find a Tivo at the IP I chose.
- Try ,#401 and find Tivo wants to test the change; no connection yet!
- Restart the Tivo.
- Run Angry Scanner again; hello IP! Pings beautifully.
- Open Hosts file and enter 'Tivo' so its name appears in Angry.
- Try ,#401 again; Test Call following is good! "Resetting clock"!
- Try a Daily Call; get the usual prompts except:
- While downloading sez "Phone not in use"
- Pick-up telephone; modem not active nor is amber LED lit. This is Good.
- Downloading, downloading,downloading geez this is taking a long time.
- Screen finally goes into LiveTV but I'm eating dinner.
- Ended w/"Call interrupted"; not successful.
- Tivo tries again on its own a few minutes later, this time it works!

Amazing. I have a networked Tivo without taking my drive(s) out. Very happy here!
Laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 12:46 AM   #120
Otto

Spire: basically, you setup PPP the same as previous to 3.0, then edit rc.arch to have the call use ppp0 instead of eth0. Then you use ,#401 to make the call. You can't do always on ppp with ,#2xx.