TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2002, 07:06 PM   #61
baadpuppy

Lightbulb

I kept seeing a lot of reports here of 3.0 not working right with turbonets, and worried about my SA upgrading to 3.0 when I wasn't here.

So, a week or so ago, I put ,#401 in the dialing prefix and figured I'd be safe enough.

Lo and behold, my SA upgraded to 3.0, and my DirecTiVo to 2.5.2 last night.

So, I thought I'd test my turbonet in my SA, and it got a Failed message. I checked, and it had an IP, which was pingable.

So I thought about this for a little bit, then I remembered the whole transparent proxy problem that I had to correct in the tcl code when I first got my turbonet installed. Thinking this might be the problem, I disabled transparent web caching on my router (smoothwall on a PC), and it fixed the problem.

I know that tivo connecting over ethernet is an "unsupported" thing, but I really would have thought with all the publicity this transparent proxy problem has had on this forum that TiVo would have fixed it by now. I'm fortunate that my ISP doesn't do transparent proxy caching, and that I could easily disable it in my own router.

So, for those of you the Failed message, perhaps this is your problem as well.

*sigh* I would have to get the upgrades the day before leaving the state for 4 days!

Current hardware:
DirecTV HR34-700 "Genie" + 2 C31 "Genie Mini"
AppleTV
Roku

Last edited by baadpuppy : 06-06-2002 at 07:28 PM.
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 08:53 PM   #62
pin87a

Quote:
Originally posted by dah605
I couldn't get my Siemens adapter to work either. I bought a 3COM adapter from TigerDirect for about $4.99 plus shipping (about $13 total).
Add another failed attempt to get the Siemens adapter to work.
My Tivo loaded the drivers, but failed to do anything else.
Maybe we should remove it from the list??

I exchanged it for the Belkin adapter, and it worked perfectly.
pin87a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 07:39 AM   #63
jab1981

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto
Read this (the first post) to understand backdoors: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=26530

Short answer:
1. Enter "3 0 BC" in the Search by Name, and hit Thumbsup to turn backdoors on.
2. Press CLEAR-ENTER-CLEAR-THUMBSUP on the main Tivo Central screen to get to the log files. Page up and down will scroll up and down, right arrow will cycle through the various log files, left arrow exits.

Reboot the unit to turn backdoors off again.
What exactly should I look for.

I have loads of tcphonhome[126] messages. And before that PromoRotation Could not find a valid promotion.

That seems to be all in relation to my attempt (I deleted a channel just before attempting to connect and the channel deletion info is just above the screen of promo errors and the screen of tcphonhome errors.

Any more ideas?
jab1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 09:43 AM   #64
Otto

Well, look for the kernel logs and so forth. Is the driver for the adapter loading? Do you get an IP from the DHCP server? And so on. I'm not going to go all out and explain the intracies of linux and TCP/IP networking here.

In short, find the problem and remedy it. If you can't tell what the problem is, find someone who can look at your box and do so. But everything you need to find the problem is in those logfiles.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 03:03 PM   #65
droidicus

Quote:
Well, look for the kernel logs and so forth. Is the driver for the adapter loading? Do you get an IP from the DHCP server? And so on. I'm not going to go all out and explain the intracies of linux and TCP/IP networking here.

In short, find the problem and remedy it. If you can't tell what the problem is, find someone who can look at your box and do so. But everything you need to find the problem is in those logfiles.

Well....... maybe not EVERYTHING ;-)

I have looked in the log files, my TiVo series 2 is recognizing the USB adapter, it is getting an IP address. I can ping the box (as can a friend that is located outside the LAN with some port forwarding), but no luck on connecting on a test call. Always the same error everyone else is getting, "Failed to connect".

I have opened UDP port 123, and have even tried DMZ forwarding. No luck.

My ISP says that they do not block any ports, except for port 80 inbound (code red, that and they do not want servers). I think that they do have a transparent web proxy set up on their end though, baadpuppy mentioned that his personal transparent proxy messed things up, so maybe it my ISP's that is doing it.

Anyway, don't be so sure that the logs have EVERYTHING in them that is needed to fix a problem, as some of us linux geeks are still having problems getting our TiVos connected.

Droid
droidicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 03:36 PM   #66
Otto

Well... everything *he* needs then. You have your own special issues. You lucky dog!

I dunno why web proxies would break it. Seems odd.
Old 06-07-2002, 05:22 PM   #67
droidicus

Quote:
Well... everything *he* needs then. You have your own special issues. You lucky dog!

My mommy always said that I was special!!

Old 06-07-2002, 06:09 PM   #68
pin87a

Quote:
Originally posted by droidicus

My ISP says that they do not block any ports, except for port 80 inbound (code red, that and they do not want servers). I think that they do have a transparent web proxy set up on their end though, baadpuppy mentioned that his personal transparent proxy messed things up, so maybe it my ISP's that is doing it.

Droid
Go here and do the proxy test on the bottom of the page. It will tell you if you are behind a proxy or not.
pin87a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 08:44 AM   #69
Bort13
TiVo Junkie

Thumbs up awesome

bought the Linksys USB100TX, and it's working great with 3.0-01-2-1F0. Thanks for the tips!
Bort13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 09:07 AM   #70
phinlum

Hi, I just posted this over at the coffee shop but wanted to try here too. Any ideas??
Ok I got 3.0 and am now trying to get the broadband connection working. I plugged in my turbonet card and hooked in a cable then ran it to one of the jacks that one of my computers is on. That jack is wired directly to a lynxssys BEFSR41 cable router, and from there to a time warner cable modem. My other computers all plug in to this router. I then changed the dialing prefix to ,#401, but didn't change any of the other numbers. Now when I try to connect the green light flashes on the turbonet card but the connection fails. Help Please.
phinlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 10:18 AM   #71
phinlum

Hmm, ok a couple of more things I've found. The green light on the turbo card blinks a slow steady green, no red light comes on that I can see. The upper light on the router does not come on, this is the one that shows there is a connection, so I guess something is wrong. Any ideas??
phinlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 03:11 PM   #72
voxelman

turbonet installed with fixed IP

Motivated by the imminent loss of the 1-800 dial-up connection I was spurred to install the TurboNet card that has been sitting on the shelf for some months. The TurboNet install CD sets up the system with a fixed IP address. My TiVo has software version 2.5.1a-01-1-000. I have a Linksys router but I have DHCP turned off. I'm able to ping, telnet, and ftp to my TiVo. Do I still need to enable DHCP or has this been addressed in the latest TurboNet drivers?
Old 06-08-2002, 03:25 PM   #73
voxelman

Daily Call works!

After reading some more I forced a daily call and it worked the first time. Yay! I love the TiVo experience!
Old 06-08-2002, 06:33 PM   #74
droidicus

Quote:
Originally posted by pin87a

Go here and do the proxy test on the bottom of the page. It will tell you if you are behind a proxy or not.
It looks like I AM behind a transparent proxy owned by my ISP. Can anyone who is still having trouble connecting (and people who can connect just fine) please go and see if you are behind a proxy here?

If we can confirm this or rule it out that would help.

Droid
Old 06-08-2002, 07:23 PM   #75
Otto

voxelman: When you get the 3.0 upgrade, using that install CD won't work right anymore. But the drivers are already built in to 3.0.

So when that happens, you will need to enable DHCP. Fortunately, with a Linksys "router", you can set the DHCP start address and range (assuming you have the latest firmware upgrade anyway). So what you'll do then is easy: turn on DHCP, set the start address as the address you want the Tivo to get, and set the range to 1. Voila. You can leave the rest of the computers as static IP's if you like. The router will route them just the same. The whole trick is to not have any static addresses in the range of the addresses the DHCP expects to give out.

I have a one computer using a static address, and everything else dynamic. The reason for that is that that computer has a webserver on it and sometimes I want to forward ports to it. Be kinda difficult if its internal IP changed from time to time.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:03 AM   #76
jbyrd

Siemens didn't work for me either...

Quote:
Originally posted by pin87a

Add another failed attempt to get the Siemens adapter to work.
My Tivo loaded the drivers, but failed to do anything else.
Maybe we should remove it from the list??

I exchanged it for the Belkin adapter, and it worked perfectly.
Me too. Exactly the same.
jbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 09:22 PM   #77
shnozyee

Question series 2, 3.0, mac, titling

apologies if this is already covered, but I am new here.

will what you describe work through the serial port with a Mac (with keyspan usb/serial adapter) on a series 2 machine or better to go with the usb ethernet to ethernet port on Mac, or will a Mac not work at all for this purpose?

once I get this hooked up, can I change titles in the now playing section?

Thank you all,

shnozyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 10:07 AM   #78
Laserfan

Quote:
...Fortunately, with a Linksys "router", you can set the DHCP start address and range...
Thanks, Otto, for this clear description. I have a Linksys router and it seems this feature got added somewhere along the way of firmware upgrades, but their "Help" files haven't caught up with it.

I'm sitting on a Tivonet card (not yet installed), awaiting my SA upgrade from 2.5.1 to 3.0; are you and everyone saying that once I'm upgraded I won't even need to execute Chris Worley's tivonetfloppy script??? If yes this will be very cool.
Laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 01:54 PM   #79
hgelpke

Maybe I missed comething but after you have set up your direct connection in winxp or 2k what do you do next. I went through the guide and everything is set properly but I just don't know what to do next. I ran hyperterminal and got a bunch of garbage so I know the connection works. Do I need to run something else? Please help.
hgelpke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 02:21 PM   #80
Laserfan

Quote:
once I'm upgraded I won't even need to execute Chris Worley's tivonetfloppy script???
Sorry, I should have looked first. The answer apparently is "no, you don't need nuthin' else" so now I am real anxious to upgrade to 3.0.
Laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 06:12 PM   #81
AlanShutko

IT WORKS! Thanks for all the informative posts, folks! With this thread as a guide, I got PPP over serial working in about 10 minutes, not counting the Radio Shack run for connectors. I didn't even have to do anything about my transparent squid proxy... I must not be proxying the 192.168.10 range.

WHEEE!
AlanShutko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 08:02 PM   #82
tpunder

Re: Internet Connection Sharing

Quote:
Originally posted by hutchca
DON'T RUN THE TURBONET/TIVONET INSTALL SCRIPT!
What if I did? Stupid of me not to check here before running it, I know..
tpunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 08:35 PM   #83
RevRick

Re: Internet Connection Sharing

Quote:
Originally posted by hutchca
Windows 98 and Windows ME Internet connection sharing will not work.
The reason is that they don't use TCP/IP for internet connection sharing.
They require you to install client software which includes a special internet sharing protocol.

Wireless Info:
There is one wireless solution being developed for Series 1 Tivos.
The "TiVo AirNET" is not available yet but can be pre-ordered from 9th Tee.
For Series 2 TiVo's there is no support for USB Wireless Adapters.
This is because there is no interface to configure the wireless specific parameters.
One possible solution is to use a standard USB ethernet adapter and connect a wireless bridge.
UPDATE or ANOMALY? You decide . . . I was able to get my Tivo to connect through both Windows Me and my wireless USB connection. Now, all my calls have gone through, and I haven't even had to reboot the Tivo. I have been unplugging the CAT5 cable, since I haven't drilled the holes in the floor yet. Yet, my Tivo still gets and IP from the computer. This is quite different than what I was experiencing last week. However, one must understand that operator error is the main cause of most problems (at least in this house). Now, was it that I installed ICS software, but later uninstalled it? I don't know. But Windows Me is working.

"What was the problem?" you may be asking. I had jarred the TivoNet card off its connection when reinstalling the little "foot" on the bottom of the Tivo. Be sure to read that section of the 9thTee web page. (I didn't skip the step, but didn't think I would knock it off it's connection by gently putting it halfway back on.)

Bottom line? It's possible to use a wireless connection other than the bridge that has yet to be shipped by Linksys. However, if you haven't bought your wireless adapter I would wait for the bridge. I keep waiting for my setup to quit.

Good luck!
Old 06-10-2002, 10:42 PM   #84
Cypher

Ahhh...
I'm kinda frustrated... hope someone can help!

I had my turbonet adapter working perfectly under 2.5.x (Phillips SA) w/ daily calls going out over the internet, tivoweb, etc.

Well, i got my 3.0 update and things stopped working. No big deal, right, just put ,#401 in the dialing prefix and at least I'll get daily calls... nope.

I get the "Failed. Service Unavailable" message that a lot of other folks have been getting. Now, I know my router is setup properly b/c it was working with 2.5.x, right? And I can ping my tivo (i had assigned it IP address 192.168.0.100 before my upgrade, but now with DHCP it's 192.168.0.4). I entered backdoor codes, checked the logs, and it looks like it's getting out to the servers ok, but failing like this (from /var/log/tclient):
connection to host 204.176.49.2 port err 0x0
read 1027 bytes of upload data for HServerRqst
Required Parameter ERR_MSG not present
VERSION not present
CODE not present...

etc.

Now, when I originally setup my turbonet under 2.5, I had a content length 0 problem that i had to fix (thanks to some folks out on these forums). Could that same bug be popping up again?

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks for any help!
Jeff
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 10:44 PM   #85
Riggs

Help for Broadband Connection

I'll leave the text up here just in case you're interested in what I had to say, but I figured out my problem - bad ethernet cable. I switched to a diferent cable and the entire thing went through without a snag.

Looks like I need to recrimp my old cable. I just wish I found this out about 4 hours ago...

I'm having some installation issues, and I'm hoping that one or many of you might be able to help me out!

My Series 2 just updated to 3.0 and I bought a Linksys 4-port router so I could do updates via the Internet. I did all of the wire connections properly, I *think* I set up the router properly (my computer connection is working, if that says anything), but the TiVo was always failing on the connection part of the test call.

I opened up the log file and found out that it's sending a DHCP request to 255.255.255.255 but not receiving an IP, at which point it says that the network connection is down. It turns out that the Linksys router is trying to assign an IP address to the TiVo, but it only lists the TiVo for a few moments after restarting the TiVo.

Since my apartment building has in-house broadband wiring, my connection is somewhat unique in that I just plug my router into the wall and not into a modem. I also am assigned a range of static IP addresses I can use.

Does anyone has the faintest idea what could be wrong? Could I have set up the router incorrectly? Is the TiVo trying to look at the wrong address for it's IP assignment (since the subnet mask is *.0 and not *.255)? Is the problem due to my static IP?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Last edited by Riggs : 06-11-2002 at 12:23 AM.
Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 11:10 PM   #86
anddmx
TiVo Tinkerer

THANK-YOU TiVo!!

Thanks for the "Unofficial" built-in network support! Had it up in 60 seconds on my linksys cable-shared network.

Woo Hoo!

anddmx

PS - Now if TiVo could look down and say... Okay, whoever has a dialing prefix of ,#401, send them a month of programming data, I would be VERY happy. HINT HINT
anddmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 12:00 AM   #87
QAI

I have gone to the proxy check website. No I am not behind a proxy server and yes, I cannot get ppp over serial to work. I am connecting to my Linux server and using masquerade firewall going out. Port 123 has been enabled but I don't think it is getting stuck there. TCPDUMP reveals that a connection attempt is being made across port 80 to 204.176.49.2 There doesn't seem to be a response back from that address. I am considering that the MTU/MRU needs to be adjusted. My understanding of the TCPDUMP line is very limited however I see a line that stated 1514(1452) I wonder if those are the numbers. I also wonder if going over pppoe is a problem. The MTU/MRU is set to 1492 in this case.

Suggestions?
QAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 05:20 AM   #88
QAI

Well it seems that by adding a mtu 1492 mru 1492 to the linux pppd command line worked. I was able to make a test call. I am now testing guide data d/l. The command line for linux should read: /usr/sbin/pppd ttyS0 115200 noauth debug local nocrtscts mtu 1492 mru 1492 192.168.10.1:192.168.10.2. This is for a DSL connection.
QAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 08:05 AM   #89
jab1981

Quote:

I'd like to argue... but I have no clue about anything to do with this.

If only I knew setting up a Tivo to my network would involve so many tweaks and what not. My XBox was simply plug and play...

Guess I'm back to waiting for the next update. I'd like to figure out what's going on, but I don't have the time to learn how to hack another piece of tech. It's not worth going through to have network support I guess. It's a shame they didn't release a more functional version.

*Edit - I've gotten a slew of messages, but it seems the errors are in var/log/messages

"Couldn't restrict write permissions to /dev/cua1 R(ead) only file system."
"DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6"
"DHclient send_packet: Network is down"

but it does say local IP address 63.15.82.20
remote IP address 206.115.151.154
and most promising pppd[1419]:Sent 5788 bytes, recieved 2518 bytes.

Not sure at all how to take it. Something is definately going on just not sure what. Switching IP's in the next week or so, perhaps I'll investigate it more on my next day off after the switch.

Last edited by jab1981 : 06-11-2002 at 08:41 AM.
jab1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 09:22 AM   #90
Graeber

Hello --

I am running Redhat Linux and previously had PPP via serial working perfectly. Now I have 3.0 and I cant get it to work. I used to log into linux and run a command "pppd with lots of parameters" that would initialize my connection. Then I could call and everything was fine. Now that doesnt work.

I know my linux box is setup to work with PPP and tivo -- I just dont know how to adjust to this new 3.0 way of doing things. ALSO, I dont care if i get an always on connection or not -- I JUST WANT GUIDE DATA

Anyone know how to take a 2.5.1 setup and make it work for 3.0?

thanks,
Graeber
Graeber is offline   Reply With Quote