TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2002, 10:49 AM   #31
jab1981

After unplugging everything, and starting again... still nothing. "Failed Service Unavailable." I see why the release didn't fully "support" network access. Time to wait for the next update I suppose. Hopefully then I'll see my dreams of removing that daft cord come to completetion.

I still love my Tivo, and having the tick mark jump back is a god send.
jab1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 10:53 AM   #32
Otto

You did reboot with the USB adapter attached before trying ,#401, right? You can't hot plug the USB adapter into the Tivo.

Short of that, I'd check the logfiles on the Tivo and see what they say.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 11:51 AM   #33
digital-stew

Does anyone know which USB Wireless Ethernet Adapters are supported if any?

It would be great if someone could post a list that are supposed to work.
digital-stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 12:57 PM   #34
hutchca

Quote:
Originally posted by digital-stew
Does anyone know which USB Wireless Ethernet Adapters are supported if any?

It would be great if someone could post a list that are supposed to work.
Embeem posted a list in this thread.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:07 PM   #35
leebo

FWIW - The Siemens adaptor is listed as a supported device. I think perhaps mine was defective. I exchanged the Siemens USB-Ethernet device for an equivalent LinkSys model (also supported) and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the help!
leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 05:21 PM   #36
droidicus

I am having the exact problem right now with my TiVo. I have one of the USB adapters what is on the "working" list, and a DHCP server behind a NAT/router (whatever you want to call it is fine with me). I also enabled back doors and looked in the logs, in /var/kernel it states that it found the adapter (and recognized it as the correct one) and that the pegasus driver was bound to that USB device. Finally I found that it did correctly get a IP address via DHCP. I am also able to ping the IP from my desktop computer, the average pink time is kind of long (on the order of 3ms.), but it is a TiVo, and not a top-of-the-line computer.

One last thing is that when I enter ,#401 (pause-enter-4-0-1) and do a test call the 'Tx/Rx' light on the USB adapter blinks several times (the 'Link' light is on as well), so it is trying to use the ethernet, it just cannot. And yes, I did check the Cat5 running to the TiVo as well, the run to the entrainment center works on my computer, and the run to my computer does NOT work with the TiVo (as in the same error occurs).

The only thing I can think of is maybe I need to modify my firewall settings. It should let almost anything out, but I do not know if TiVo needs incoming ports open/forwarded to it. So if anyone can tell me what port it uses I can try that.
droidicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 06:03 PM   #37
Ruskin

Quote:
I was with you this far. I have my compatible adapter thanks to TigerDirect.com (brought to my attention by another post on the board). I've add the network cable to my LinkSys 5 port router... all appropriate lights indicate the connection is good to go. Set up my calling info with ,#401 ... It "completes" preparing and dialing... and then I get to connecting "Failed. Service unavailable."
I am having the same exact problem. I am using the 3COM USB Ethernet adapter from Tiger Direct with a Linksys 5 port switch. Running Windows XP Professional. I have DHCP service running and my internet connection is cable. Internet connection sharing is working and I have link lights on the switch for the Tivo unit so it is connecting.

I will say this, I cannot get other computers in the house to see the internet since I switched to XP. I have done installs from scratch and the best i've gotten is an extremly slow connection in the other room, but at the same time all the computer can see each other and transfer files between them at high speed. This main computer hooked to the switch can access the internet at top speed. Anyone have any tips?
Old 06-03-2002, 09:59 PM   #38
jimborst

I really wish someone had told me it was this easy (9th tee Mark said it was pretty much plug and play). I had not had a router before so I got the Linksys Cable/DSL router and after the PC told the router the logon, TiVo succesfully called on the internet-no problem!
jimborst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 11:16 PM   #39
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Quote:
Originally posted by Saturn49

*sigh*. Real routers (like those made by Cisco) wouldn't bother to include a DHCP server. I think what you are referring to is those little NAT boxes that Linksys sells, and calls a router (when, in fact, they don't do routing in the conventional sense). [/b]
Mine do, I have two on my Lan, one ISDN and one DSL. Although each only has one LAN port and one WAN port thus limiting it ability to make many routing decisions, I do have it set up so that if a packet goes to one that needs to go to the other it forwards and issues a redirect. The ISDN router actually has mutliple virtual WAN ports even though there is one physical and it can dynamically make calls on each B chanel to set up a link that coincides with the network it needs to route to. Most of these devices can listen and broadcast RIP and do many other real routing functions. Again the real limitation is the number of ports that limit the ability/need to do much more.

As far as Enterprise routers, true most of these do not provide DHCP servers by they do almost always provide a DHCP forwarder to push those requests to an Enterprise DHCP server. I can not think of any current router code that doesn't suport NAT though as this is often necessary on large routers communicate between private networks. The little boxes usually only do N to 1 while the big boys can do N to 1, M-to-N (M>N), and N to N.

Last edited by MighTiVo : 06-03-2002 at 11:24 PM.
MighTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 02:40 AM   #40
Otto

Quote:
Originally posted by droidicus
The only thing I can think of is maybe I need to modify my firewall settings. It should let almost anything out, but I do not know if TiVo needs incoming ports open/forwarded to it. So if anyone can tell me what port it uses I can try that.
Well, without knowing more about your firewall device, nobody can help you. The Tivo's communications are all HTTP, port 80. Nothing special about them, really. Works fine with my Linksys Cable/DSL Router and all the default settings.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:21 AM   #41
spankspank

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto

Well, without knowing more about your firewall device, nobody can help you. The Tivo's communications are all HTTP, port 80. Nothing special about them, really. Works fine with my Linksys Cable/DSL Router and all the default settings.
I think Tivo also expects UDP port 123 to be open for NTP. Make sure your firewall is not blocking it.

Some folks have reported that their ISP is blocking the inbound of UDP 123. The fix for that was to rename ntpdate and create an executable shell script named ntpdate containing:

ntpdate_old -bu 204.176.49.10 204.176.49.11

This fix is only possible on Tivo Series I.
spankspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 11:52 AM   #42
droidicus

Quote:

Port 80 is open for outgoing traffic (otherwise I would not be able to read this forum ), I will have to check on UDP port 123 (I am on vacation, so it will have to wait a few days....). I think there was a problem I had in the past where my old ISP was blocking UDP port 123 for some insane reason, I hope that is not the case, as it took me over 20 phone calls and manny hours on the phone with almost everyone in the management of that ISP before they opened the port last time......

Droid

P.S. spankspank, I have a series 2, so that will not help my situation

[Edit: I am assuming that no INbound ports need to be open for TiVo to work over broadband (that would be a very BAD design....), can anyone verify this for me? My Firewall blocks almost every inbound TCP port.]

Last edited by droidicus : 06-04-2002 at 11:58 AM.
droidicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 01:34 PM   #43
Raech
TiVo-ed since 11/00

help for my set up

Ok, I have two Philips SAs I'd like to add to my ATT broadband connection for calls.

I have a linksys router what all do I have to do?
Do I have to open new ports? And if so what do I call the devices? 102 and 103? (Have two pcs on alread which are 100 and 101).

What parts are we sure work that I should buy to connect? Keep in mind the tivos are in the next room over from my router.

And I run windows Me. So what do I need to do on my pc's end?

Thanks cos all of the yes it does work no this doesn't was getting confusing.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:02 PM   #44
Otto

I have a Linksys Cable/DSL Router hooked to my cable modem, with no port forwarding active, and no special setup. My Tivo works fine through it.

Actually, I occasionally open a port for a webserver to give someone a file, but I never leave it open for long. I do have a port trigger setup for IRC (identd) but it's only active when I'm on IRC. There's no inbound connections needed for the Tivo.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:28 PM   #45
spankspank

Quote:
Originally posted by droidicus

I am assuming that no INbound ports need to be open for TiVo to work over broadband (that would be a very BAD design....), can anyone verify this for me? My Firewall blocks almost every inbound TCP port.
Inbound and outbound UDP 123 is required. I agree on the design flaw of using a privleged port. On Spire's Linksys BEFSR41 router (earlier in this thread) turning on Stateful Packet Inspection prevents the (default?) inbound blockage of UDP 123. SPI says - if the request initiates from the inside then the reply is accepted.

Not being able to change a series 2 to use an unprivleged port might be a showstopper if your ISP blocks inbound port 123. Tivo should change ntpdate to use the high port.
spankspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 10:06 PM   #46
cameronj

TurboNet With Tivo V1

Pardon if this has been discussed, but there are SO many posts here I figure there must be a thread right up my alley..

What I have is a Tivo SA with one hard drive, series 1, and I want to connect over the internet through my Win2000 PC. I have no router/switch/network at all, but i'm more than ready to install anything I need to. I want to use the add-in Turbonet card with ethernet, obviously I have not USB anyway. Is there a step by step, made for morons guide on how to do this?

Thanks so much!
cameronj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 01:59 AM   #47
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Re: TurboNet With Tivo V1

Quote:
Originally posted by cameronj
Pardon if this has been discussed, but there are SO many posts here I figure there must be a thread right up my alley..

What I have is a Tivo SA with one hard drive, series 1, and I want to connect over the internet through my Win2000 PC. I have no router/switch/network at all, but i'm more than ready to install anything I need to. I want to use the add-in Turbonet card with Ethernet, obviously I have not USB anyway. Is there a step by step, made for morons guide on how to do this?

Thanks so much!
I'm not a export so I might be of some help.

As you heard people like the linksys BEFSR41 router.

If you read this online manual Linksys Manual
It will have you all setup to use your Turbonet.

Turbonet Install

Tips:

You must have DSL or Cable Internet service.

You must have DHCP in hardware or software, which the linksys BEFSR41 router has.

Do the install of the router and Turbonet (Turbonet is easier to install then a TiVonet) at the same time. Remember to change the dialing prefix on the TiVo to ,#401 If you like you can change it anytime before you install the turbonet card, the phone call still works with it in.

When you do get to turning on the Computer and TiVo power up the TiVo without the case on to see if the red link light shows on the Turbonet card, and do a test call. it should work, then unplug and reassemble.

Anytime you power-down the TiVo make sure you wait longer then 5 seconds to power up, so the TiVo will work with the router.

Quote:
One question for the people that belong in here. linksys says to never have the modem off and the router on, why? I do it and nothing seems to happen.

Last edited by Leon WIlkinson : 06-05-2002 at 06:52 PM.
Leon WIlkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 12:23 PM   #48
Raech
TiVo-ed since 11/00

OTTO

Ok Otto, so what I am hearing is no special things done to my router.

So I need what two cables (I have two tivos is there a way to shunt these together? or do I have to take up two slots?) do I need? Do they make said cables long or is there a way to extend them? cos in a perfect world I would need 40ft total length.

I do not have tivonet or ther other thing, I would just be connecting to my tivo itself with the cable that came with tivo.

So all I need are cables and the know how to make it work with windows ME yes?

Please let me know if I can not traverse this distance. Since I don't know what type of cable I need to connect with I have no idea if it is fesable.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:28 PM   #49
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Raech

Quote:
Raech they have long cables at 9thtee.com so you could order the card and the cables you need I would suggest you buy the install kit for $6, all that kit is a 3ft Rj45 patch cable with a wire tie to secure the patch cable to the in side wiring in the TiVo and a Rj45 to Rj45 adapter, so you can unplug the TiVo with out taking the box apart.
Code:
TURBONET TurboNET Ethernet Adapter  $69.25   

PATCH50 50' Patch Cable $8.25  

TurboNET-CONNECT TurboNET Network Connect Kit $6.00
You could do as I did and buy the board from PVRSpeed so you won't have to wait for the card.

Last edited by Leon WIlkinson : 06-05-2002 at 01:43 PM.
Leon WIlkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 02:36 PM   #50
Otto

Re: OTTO

Quote:
Originally posted by Raech
Ok Otto, so what I am hearing is no special things done to my router.

So I need what two cables (I have two tivos is there a way to shunt these together? or do I have to take up two slots?) do I need? Do they make said cables long or is there a way to extend them? cos in a perfect world I would need 40ft total length.

I do not have tivonet or ther other thing, I would just be connecting to my tivo itself with the cable that came with tivo.

So all I need are cables and the know how to make it work with windows ME yes?

Please let me know if I can not traverse this distance. Since I don't know what type of cable I need to connect with I have no idea if it is fesable.

Err.. just get a long patch cable? Look, here's the basic concept:

Cable<->Cable Modem<->Router<->Tivo (with TivoNet or TurboNet)

No computer involved. The cables are all cat5, except for the cable from the wall to the cable modem. No special setup on the Linksys Router (it handles port 123 as an outgoing connection and deals with it automatically).

40' or longer patch cables can be gotten many places. Or if you need to run a lot of cable, get a spool of cat5 and a crimping tool or something.

The Linksys router has multiple ports.. or if you don't have any free connections, then buy a cheap hub and plug it into one of the ports, then the Tivo's into it. Just make sure you use the uplink port on the hub to connect to the switch/router. Simple.

You could connect it serially using the serial cable to the Tivo, but not from 40 feet away, and not nearly as easily. You'd also not connect both of them that way, you'd have to keep switching back and forth. Screw it, just get a couple TivoNet's/TurboNet's. Easy. Why muck about with an imperfect solution?

Last edited by Otto : 06-05-2002 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:52 PM   #51
Raech
TiVo-ed since 11/00

so with either tivonet or turbonet all I need is the the card (tivo or turbo) for inside tivo and cat5 and the connectors. Cool. I have a bolt of cat5 already and a multi crimper.

Thanks. I hate tivo using my phone line, and the needless one tivo trying to call and failing cos the other tivo is already calling junk on the normal phone line.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:06 AM   #52
vertigo235

Just ordered TurboNET $80! Im in NC

I'll be dropping my land line once we move later this month

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 07:27 AM   #53
dcampbe1

TiVo 2 PC Overview

Quote:
Originally posted by Hunter Green
ICS worked fine, it just took a reboot. Then it was able to get an IP and I had to open the firewall port for that IP. In total it took about six hours to get around to working on it, and about two minutes to solve it.
It's facinating to follow this thread on the various ways of connecting the PC to the TiVo. I'm pretty versed in PC system stuff but am having trouble visualizing what can be done with a connection to the TiVo. Does anyone have the background on such a connection as far as why you would want such a connection and what it can do for you, particularly if you have only a single Series 2 Tivo?
dcampbe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 08:08 AM   #54
dcampbe1

Quote:
Originally posted by tlw1981
I still love my Tivo, and having the tick mark jump back is a god send.
I've been hollering ever since I got my first TiVo for a 30 jump forward and never got any response from anyone. Yesterday, I discovered this forum and what's the first thing I stumbled into (without even looking for it)? Right, the SPS30S setting.

I see you're just as elated over "the tick mark jump back". Could you share what that feature is and why you're so excited about it?

Thanks.

Dave
Old 06-06-2002, 08:54 AM   #55
gleffler
This one goes to 11

Quote:
Does anyone have the background on such a connection as far as why you would want such a connection and what it can do for you, particularly if you have only a single Series 2 Tivo?
You can eliminate your phone line if you hook up your TiVo to your computer with one of these methods. With the elimination of the 800 number from older standalones and some people dropping landline phone service, being able to use your existing Internet connection can be very useful.

However, a Series 2 will be able to get even more benefit from the network in the future. There are plans to do some very cool things that will require broadband connectivity on the Series 2. Buy the $4.99 USB adapter and get networked! I think it'll be very nice for you to be 'future-proofed.'

/gleffler
Old 06-06-2002, 09:12 AM   #56
dcampbe1

Quote:
Originally posted by gleffler

You can eliminate your phone line if you hook up your TiVo to your computer with one of these methods. With the elimination of the 800 number from older standalones and some people dropping landline phone service, being able to use your existing Internet connection can be very useful.

However, a Series 2 will be able to get even more benefit from the network in the future. There are plans to do some very cool things that will require broadband connectivity on the Series 2. Buy the $4.99 USB adapter and get networked! I think it'll be very nice for you to be 'future-proofed.'

/gleffler
I'm running a wireless Linksys, wired to other pc's, wireless to a laptop and to a cable modem. Could I go wireless on the TiVo2? Is there a way to get the TiVo1 (2.5) connected also?

Do you happen to know what the acronym ICS is?
Old 06-06-2002, 09:12 AM   #57
granoff
Post Mark

I'd love to connect my TiVo to my XP or Linux machines, but they are physically distant from one another. Making a hard connection between them would be difficult (but not impossible, although I'd prefer not to be fishing wires through ceilings. :-)

I'm wondering if there is some clever, small, device that is essentially "pppd in a box" that takes a serial connection in one side and has ethernet out the other side, at which point I could connect a wireless LAN adapter, etc...

Anyone know of such a beast? There's just no way I can setup a PC anywhere near my TiVo. And I would prefer not to have to crack open my unit (and yes, I know what forum I'm talking to. :-)

Thanks!
TiVo S2 540040, Monthly, 224 hrs (Maxtor 200GB)
100Mbit Wired Ethernet w/ Netgear USB 2.0 FA-120 Adapters
granoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 12:17 PM   #58
jab1981

Quote:
You did reboot with the USB adapter attached before trying ,#401, right? You can't hot plug the USB adapter into the Tivo.

Short of that, I'd check the logfiles on the Tivo and see what they say.
I've never checked a log file on my Tivo. I did a brief search on the subject here... and came up with a detailed guide to enabling backdoor mode in order to get to a log file. But didn't have instructions for 3.0, and I'm a bit nervous about going in the "backdoor" so to speak. I would to check the log, but only if there's an "off" switch

So what I'm asking is how do I check my log, and how do I get it back in ordinary working order (meaning all doors opened are closed afterwards)? Sorry for being the newbie here... never wanted to hack a tivo
jab1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 12:23 PM   #59
Otto

Read this (the first post) to understand backdoors: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=26530

Short answer:
1. Enter "3 0 BC" in the Search by Name, and hit Thumbsup to turn backdoors on.
2. Press CLEAR-ENTER-CLEAR-THUMBSUP on the main Tivo Central screen to get to the log files. Page up and down will scroll up and down, right arrow will cycle through the various log files, left arrow exits.

Reboot the unit to turn backdoors off again.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:42 PM   #60
hutchca

Quote:
Originally posted by granoff
I'm wondering if there is some clever, small, device that is essentially "pppd in a box" that takes a serial connection in one side and has ethernet out the other side, at which point I could connect a wireless LAN adapter, etc...
I've seen devices like that but they are quite expensive.
It would be cheaper to just go straight to ethernet with a TurboNet card ($70-80)
Yes you have to open the case, but once you have 3.0, TurboNet is literally Plug-&-Play. You don't need to muck around with the disks at all.
Then you could try something like this ethernet <> wirless bridge.

Last edited by hutchca : 06-06-2002 at 06:42 PM.
hutchca is offline   Reply With Quote