TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2003, 08:13 PM   #301
rje

Nevermind.... blended two posts together...
rje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 11:11 PM   #302
Elvite

Quote:
Originally posted by ccflyer
I'm stumped -
Today I got a Linksys USB 2.0 10/100 Network Adapter (Model USB200M) from Amazon. <SNIP>call failed??? What am I missing????
The USB200M currently will not work with TiVo and likely will not for a long long time as TiVo currently has no plans to support USB 2.0 adapters any time soon. There are many posts already stating that the USB200M specifically doesn't work. Here's one, http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hlight=usb200m

I tried the USB200M too, with no luck. However, the USB100M works great.
Elvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 08:12 AM   #303
dredding

Confirming details

I think I get all this, I'm planning to get a Lynksys router (that can handle wireless too) then get a cable with USB on one end and RJ45 on the other to connect TiVo to the router (which has DHCP). Do I need to confirm that the USB drivers will handle the particular model router I plan to get?

I plug in the cable to the router and change the dial out setting and it works, right?
dredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 11:49 PM   #304
usafa92
Tivo Rules My Life

Um, can someone point me to a working link to Otto's FAQ on getting my serial cable to work. I'm running WinXP Pro and have a Series 2
Old 03-13-2003, 07:21 AM   #305
lsinger12

Otto's FAC

The page is no longer available. I have Series 2 and just running XP Home edition. Please help
lsinger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 10:00 AM   #306
jrgutknecht

um.. not quite right.

Dredding,

You don't quite have the details right.

You need to get a USB Ethernet adaptor (there is a huge list, but I recommend the Linksys USB100TX) The USB cable goes from the TIVO to the USB adaptor. Then a standard network cable (with RJ45 on both ends) goes from the USB adaptor to your network router/hub/switch.

You only need to make sure TIVO supports the USB adaptor. It doesn't care what kind of router you have. As long as the router does DHCP, which all of the ones available now do.

Summary:

TIVO --> USB cable --> USB Adaptor --> Cat5 network cable --> Router --> Internet.

After you have it wired up change your dialing to ,#401 and you should be ready to go. You'll have to reboot TIVO for it to see the connection. It might require two reboots.
jrgutknecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 03:39 AM   #307
garfieldboy

Can anyone point me to a copy of Otto's FAQ on getting Windows to allow TiVo to connect via the serial port to the PC and through a broadband connection please?

The original is no longer available!!

I have recently re-installed everything on my PC but can't get TiVo to connect

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards,
Steve
garfieldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 11:31 AM   #308
trhorton

Series 2 USB Ethernet Connection

I have a SMC (vs LinkSys) usb/ethernet connector. Problem??

My home network is Win/XP home - 5 "clients" and Win/XP Pro for the "server".

The"clients" and the "server" all connect to a LinkSys 12 port switch. The "server" has 2 nic's and the second connects to the DSL router (SpeedStream 5660).

I've hooked up a pc to the port (thru the server and out to the web) where the TIVO box would attached -- to the web with no problems.

DHCP and DNS are enabled on the DSL modem. (DHCP settings apprear to be defaults.)

TIVO software is V3.2-01....

Any thoughts ... (I hope).

Thanks,
Tom Horton
trhorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 12:17 PM   #309
garfieldboy

Found it at last!!!

For everyone who is looking for Otto's "how to"... here it is

http://www.lan.com/otto/tivo3xp/

Kind regards,
Steve
garfieldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:57 AM   #310
lsinger12

Note Connected to the net

First let me thank all those that assisted me. I first tried the Poweline Adapters and couldn't make them work ( wouldn't read each other). Took them back and ran CAT5 cable connected to Linksys router and USB100M. Re-booted Tivo one time and it works like a charm. Took only seconds to make contact and update data.

Again Thanks to all.

lsinger12
lsinger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 02:33 PM   #311
networker

I had a problem with the ethernet interface not getting through until I noticed my wife had shut the Cable Modem down during the night. The IP address was gone. Once I rebooted the TIVO the box found the DNS and everything worked fine
networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:11 PM   #312
trhorton

To those who have been following my problem. A key step is to UNPLUG the TIVO after the ethernet cabling is complete.

Appreciate the clues...

Tom Horton
trhorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 12:23 PM   #313
mhammond1

SSID for Wireless Required?

I have the AT&T Series 2 Tivo, Version 3+ of the software, and purchased the Linksys Wireless USB, version 2.6, as recommended by the website. The link light on the USB is on, but I am not seeing an IP Address in the DHCP clients table on the Linksys wireless router. Does the SSID on the router need to be something so the Tivo can find it? I saw someone say something about the top or bottom USB slot (don't know why that would make a diff). I've rebooted the Tivo many times. I've powered it off. I even had the power company come out and verify the 110 line powering the Tivo was still at 60hz. Ok, that last one is a lie. Some also said that the wireless USB isn't supported until Tivo version 4. Any ideas on that one?

Any help would be appreciated.
mhammond1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 10:21 PM   #314
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

This may be a dumb question... Just got a Turbonet ethernet card for my Tivo... Okay, you put ,#401 as a prefix -- do you have to delete or keep the telephone number setting or should the entire dialing prefix consist of just the ,#401?
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 01:07 AM   #315
brbubba

Re: SSID for Wireless Required?

Quote:
Originally posted by mhammond1
I have the AT&T Series 2 Tivo, Version 3+ of the software, and purchased the Linksys Wireless USB, version 2.6, as recommended by the website. The link light on the USB is on, but I am not seeing an IP Address in the DHCP clients table on the Linksys wireless router. Does the SSID on the router need to be something so the Tivo can find it? I saw someone say something about the top or bottom USB slot (don't know why that would make a diff). I've rebooted the Tivo many times. I've powered it off. I even had the power company come out and verify the 110 line powering the Tivo was still at 60hz. Ok, that last one is a lie. Some also said that the wireless USB isn't supported until Tivo version 4. Any ideas on that one?

Any help would be appreciated.
I think you jumped the gun on this one. As far as I know wireless isn't yet supported, unless you use the wireless bridge. If you think about it, it makes sense that you can't use wireless until they have software support. You would need to be able to enter in your Tivo the SSID of the router, possibly the channel, and definitely the encryption info.
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 07:52 AM   #316
mhammond1

I would agree wih the SSID, Encryption, channel and all that good stuff. But, if that's the case, why are they saying that the Linksys Wireless USB is their recommended peice of hardware for wireless usb?

http://store.tivo.com/Detail.bok/bc7...total=17&no=91

I get more and more confused.

-Michael
mhammond1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:04 AM   #317
mdscott

There are a number of entries in this thread pointing out the incompatibility of the wireless usb adapters with 3.x software. The availability (and recommendation) in the store seems to point to use with 4.0. It may be a matter of waiting. You might want to look at the network setup material on this and the linked pages.

mds
Old 03-28-2003, 05:21 PM   #318
Polarorbit

My cable modem has a USB port on it in addition to an RJ45. Can I just hook my Tivo up through the USB port on the modem using a USB cable? I've had two PCs hooked up to the modem at one time with no problems.

Last edited by Polarorbit : 03-28-2003 at 05:51 PM.
Polarorbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:32 PM   #319
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally posted by Polarorbit
My cable modem has a USB port on it in addition to an RJ45. Can I just hook my Tivo up through the USB port on the modem using a USB cable? I've had two PCs hooked up to the modem at one time with no problems.
I highly doubt TiVo installed drivers for USB cable modems. I'm not sure if they even make linux drivers for the USB port on cable modems.

I'm curious as to how often the TiVo attempts to grab an IP address via DHCP. It seems to do it once and then just use that address until the TiVo reboots since if I restart my router (which clears the DHCP table) TiVo will continue to use its old IP address. Maybe it will request a new one when its do to expire, but I can't test that.

Hopefully 4.0 will allow a more hands-on approach to setting up IP addresses and such.

Even my PS2 allows me to assign static addresses.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 09:20 PM   #320
Polarorbit

Thanks for the info. I tried it anyway and was unsuccessful.

So, why didn't they install RJ45 ports instead of USB? Most likely no cost difference. I'm a big TiVo fan, but that was pretty stupid and forces us customers into a kludge.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:05 PM   #321
MJedi

I currently use the 3Com USB adapter from TigerDirect. I'm wondering if the 4.0 Tivo software will still have the drivers for this adapter. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:22 PM   #322
Polarorbit

My 3COM USB adapter works just fine with 4.0
Old 04-13-2003, 06:40 PM   #323
schwachs
I want a pony.

Trying to get Ethernet to work...

[edit - moved to other post... this thread ]

Last edited by schwachs : 04-13-2003 at 07:04 PM.
schwachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 02:04 PM   #324
n1976jmk

TIVO ETHERNET HELP

few questions

1- which unit can i purchase that i will not have to use a phone to download everything(would like an 80 hour unit)the svr 3000 or series 2???

2- MY SPECS i currently have a cable modem along with a linksys befsr81(i think) it is a 8 port router switch, also a 10 mps netgear 4 port switch in the room where i would like to hook up to the tivo

3- i think i will need to buy a usb to ethernet(rj45 end) adapter. which model ones can i buy to be compatible?? so i can plug into my switch

4- if i buy one now it will come with the high enough version software(3.0 i think i read??) so i can start setup right away with ethernet(no PHONE LINE)

5- is tivo officially allowing this now(etherenet downloads)???

6- is ver 4.0 software out now and is that offically supporting etherenet downloading???
n1976jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 02:35 PM   #325
Polarorbit

Any Series 2 can be switched to use the Internet right away by inputing the right dialing prefix. I did this with my new Series 2 and it did the 4.0 download using the Internet/Ethernet. Once you are to Verion 4.0 there is an option in the menu for Internet, so you do not have to use the prefix dialing kludge any more.

Verion 4.0 is out and Ethernet/Internet is supported and encouraged by Tivo officially.

Your routers are fine, all you should have to do is plug it in. You will need the USB to Ethernet dongle. Tivo web site has recommended dongles. Prefix kludge is listed several places, but I forget what it is exactly.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:33 PM   #326
azitnay

Quote:
Originally posted by Polarorbit
Prefix kludge is listed several places, but I forget what it is exactly.
,#401

Drew
azitnay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 06:16 AM   #327
antalo

I am having the same problem most folks have, but sofar no solution.
I have a Linksys wireless setup with 3 PCs and sofar 2 old TIVOs. My new S2 wont work with the adapter. I got an e-mail newsletter from TIVO, in which they say the Linksys WUsb11 v2.6 works. I read everything, but they don't say how to make it work, or how to set it up. I have this TIVO now for several months and it did not update the software to 4.0, It has 3.2. I have the ,#401 in the prefix, but it fails to make a connection. The Power light is on on the adapter, but the signal light is not blinking. The adater works fine with a PC.
Any help is appreciated. I unlugged the TIVO with the adapter plugged in, but no good. I tried both USB connections.
Antalo

PS. The dialup modem works fine. It calls in gets updates, but no software update.
antalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 06:52 AM   #328
azitnay

Wireless won't work on 3.2. You'll need to get the 4.0 update before configuring it.

Drew
Old 04-17-2003, 07:08 AM   #329
antalo

How do I get the 4.0 update ? I have this succer for at least 4 months, and it makes it's daily call using the phone line.
Antalo
antalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 02:54 PM   #330
azitnay

The fastest way is to buy HMO . Otherwise, you'll have to wait your turn.

Drew