TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
rbenotti

How to copy shows from a failed (no bootable) drive

I have a Series 2 that has hung hard twice in the last few weeks. Rebooting the unit last time worked. This time, it hangs at the just a few more moments screen.

I'm only looking to get what is on the drive off, and ideally onto another functioning drive. Is it even possible? I'm thinking that dd'ing the drive won't o me any good, as the system won't fully boot.

Any thoughts on initiating rescue mode (or whatever it is called) when the TiVo boots up? I used to have the instructions, but they seem long gone.
Push via pyTiVo & Streambaby
Pull via TiVo Desktop

Retired -Series 2 40Gb TiVo
Linksys Wireless NIC
rbenotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
flatcurve

If the drive is truly dead (have you run diagnostics on it yet?) then dd'ing it wouldn't do any good, as any bad data on the drive would just be copied over. You could always try it and see, but it's definitely a long shot.
flatcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
rbenotti

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatcurve View Post
If the drive is truly dead (have you run diagnostics on it yet?) then dd'ing it wouldn't do any good, as any bad data on the drive would just be copied over. You could always try it and see, but it's definitely a long shot.
I haven't taken it out and run diagnostics yet. That is tonight's project.

Are you saying that if manufacturer's diags turn up ok, the drive may be salvaged? I thought if it won't boot, making any backup isn't a good idea?

Now to find a newer image if that fails.
Pull via TiVo Desktop

Linksys Wireless NIC
Old 04-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
jhatfield
bunghole

SpinRite

One word: SpinRite. www.grc.com I've used it successfully at least 6 times on tivo drives that won't boot. And by successfully, I mean everything recovered and drive put back in service in the tivo without putting a new image on it. You probably have a few corrupted sectors on the drive which has finally caused a boot problem. SpinRite can fix that. It's totally worth it. I don't even bother with other tools any more. I've never been able to fix anything on a tivo with the manufacturers disk. SpinRite is the first tool I pick up, and usually the only thing I need.
jhatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
wscannell

If the drive is a Seagate or Maxtor, the Seatools diagnostics sometimes are successful at fixing a problem with a bad sector or two.
wscannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
rbenotti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhatfield View Post
One word: SpinRite. www.grc.com I've used it successfully at least 6 times on tivo drives that won't boot. And by successfully, I mean everything recovered and drive put back in service in the tivo without putting a new image on it. You probably have a few corrupted sectors on the drive which has finally caused a boot problem. SpinRite can fix that. It's totally worth it. I don't even bother with other tools any more. I've never been able to fix anything on a tivo with the manufacturers disk. SpinRite is the first tool I pick up, and usually the only thing I need.
I think I have SpinRite on a utility disk at work. Going to give that a try.

Thanks!
Pull via TiVo Desktop

Linksys Wireless NIC
Old 04-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
ciper

What show is so important that you have to go through so much trouble? If its something recent I bet you can find an extremely high quality copy on any of the common public torrent trackers.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
rbenotti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post
What show is so important that you have to go through so much trouble? If its something recent I bet you can find an extremely high quality copy on any of the common public torrent trackers.
Very true I guess. There is a good deal on there though.
Pull via TiVo Desktop

Linksys Wireless NIC