TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2006, 05:04 AM   #211
bicker
Gruff

I don't see anything unusual with regard to video artifacts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:28 AM   #212
kirky99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
Mine says 40C.
I have strange sounds coming from my Tivo when the temp hits about 39C. I have since blocked the back fan putting the temps up about 45C without any more sound issues. I've never had video issues, or nothing that I would say is related.

At least one version of this problem is heat (too cold) related I'm positive of that. My Series 2 box has had issues for a couple years now. I didn't realize at the time it was just during the winter. Lately during the cool nights, it's been happening again, blocking the fan in the back has prevented it from happening.

Try it, let me know if it helps...
kirky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #213
bicker
Gruff

Too cold!?!?!? I thought the only problem with the temperature was that it could get too hot!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 07:09 PM   #214
kirky99

Quote:
Too cold!?!?!? I thought the only problem with the temperature was that it could get too hot!!!
Well, mine is cold related, I'm sure of it. This past time, to confirm, I checked the temps, it was < 39C and making the noises. Took about 15 minutes or so and eventually it started working again. I quickly checked the temps and it was at 39C.

I haven't had the problem since blocking off the fan, but I check the temps often and they have been in the 45C range.

I'm guessing it could be a connection that's loose too, if it gets too cold or hot the connection breaks, or something like that. I just know when it's colder out or cold in the house, I have trouble. I haven't purposely cooled the machine to see if I can force it to happen. I can say that a reboot doesn't help, it needs to "warm up" for the sound problem to go away.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:11 AM   #215
bicker
Gruff

You're talking about mechanical noises, though, right? My noises are definitely electronic, not mechanical.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:54 AM   #216
kirky99

Quote:
You're talking about mechanical noises, though, right? My noises are definitely electronic, not mechanical.
No, it's electronic. It's tough to describe, but it seems to alternate on about a 1 or 2 second intervals between silence and then screeching/crackling. It's not always the same screeching noise, sometimes lower tones, sometimes higher. The break between the silence and noise is pretty abrupt.

Around the time it's going to come back to normal sound, I can hear some of the sound effects from Tivo along with the noise. I'm often clicking through the menus trying to find the system temp, so I can sometimes hear the Tivo select, etc along with the screeching, etc.

Last edited by kirky99 : 09-20-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:48 AM   #217
bicker
Gruff

Okay, but that's not the kazoo sound. I'll try what you suggest, if I can figure out how, but I suspect that we have different problems.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:42 PM   #218
kirky99

Quote:
Okay, but that's not the kazoo sound. I'll try what you suggest, if I can figure out how, but I suspect that we have different problems.
Correct, I don't think this is the kazoo audio, but more the "intermittent squealy audio... All I did was tape a piece of paper over the fan port. I didn't cover it completely, but about 80% of it is now covered.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:29 PM   #219
andyconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky99
Well, mine is cold related, I'm sure of it. This past time, to confirm, I checked the temps, it was < 39C and making the noises. Took about 15 minutes or so and eventually it started working again. I quickly checked the temps and it was at 39C.

I haven't had the problem since blocking off the fan, but I check the temps often and they have been in the 45C range.

I'm guessing it could be a connection that's loose too, if it gets too cold or hot the connection breaks, or something like that. I just know when it's colder out or cold in the house, I have trouble. I haven't purposely cooled the machine to see if I can force it to happen. I can say that a reboot doesn't help, it needs to "warm up" for the sound problem to go away.
I can confirm I had the same symptoms as Kirky99. They only manifested late and night through around 11:30 AM, but went away over the summer months. I had hoped they were gone, but came back a week ago (frost warnings, etc. started up here in Ohio). I tried tried all types of configurations with DVD, VCR, Cable Box (timewarner>pioneer) and Tivo Series 2 and it only showed up when the Tivo was in the picture. Changed out coax for component cables and still no difference. Called Tivo support and they had me walk through everything I had already done earlier that morning. Of course, while on hold at 11:30 while they were trying to figure out what else to try, the symptoms went away just on schedule. They told me since there wasn't any problem right now ,there wasn't anything they could do.

The next morning, the problem was back. I remembered reading this thread so, on a lark, I put my hand behind the fan, covering about 80%. Within about 30 seconds, I had sound back! A small piece of duct tape applied and I'm still problem free several days later. I keep checking the unit temperature and it's staying in the low-to-mid 40's, so all seems ok there.

THANKS, KIRKY99! You saved a great deal of frustration!
andyconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:27 PM   #220
elenaran

kirky,

I think I'm having the same problem as you (Series2, non-DT). I just moved this box to a new TV and now for some reason the audio cuts in and out, but if you leave the TV on for 20 minutes or so the audio starts playing clearly again. (It seems to just be the TiVo output - after it's warmed-up even the old recordings play fine). It's already "warmed-up" now, so I'll try your tape trick in the morning to see if it works.

Thanks for the insight
elenaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:52 AM   #221
juanian

It's baaack!

Wow. I haven't heard the "kazoo" sound on my TiVo for quite some time, but it reappeared last night. I had recorded the Tonight show, and it was there for about 1/2 hour during the show.

Coincidentally, the first time I recall having the kazoo sound was on the season finale of the first "American Idol" series. Just recently, I recorded the season finale episode of "American Idol Rewind" (I haven't watched it yet to see if it also had the kazoo sound ).

I have 8.3.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:50 AM   #222
bicker
Gruff

I found that the kazoo sound often recurs just after we dust the living room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:12 PM   #223
juanian

Well, no dusting going on here in the past week! The problem has continued to occur a few times for the past few days. It was occurring just a few moments ago. I was about to reboot, but it stopped.

Annoying. The TiVo temperature is showing 47c, not great, but not bad.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:34 AM   #224
DennisMooney

My Tivo S2 will drop audio and I get static. A restart works sometimes. I even got the audio drop while the welcome to Tivo was playing after a restart. I get the audio drop on video that played fine before. I have switched my cables around, connected the tivo to my TV with patch cables and coax sames issue. It is getting worse to the point that the Tivo is becoming useless. HELP!!
DennisMooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #225
Kershek

It looks like you might be headed for a hard drive replacement.
Kershek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:25 PM   #226
Newfler

Came across this thread while looking for a lost audio thread (every once in a while my Tivo loses ALL audio, the only fix I've found so far is to reboot the Tivo) but to go back on topic for this thread, every once in a while my audio goes very squealy/screechy too, I don't know if it's the same problem as reported here because it's not the fan, it's the reciever the Tivo is hooked up to. Somehow the reciever goes out of whack with the Tivo, and I've got to pick a different audio mode. I've got a Harmon Karmon reciever, and it's normally set to the Dolby surround, but when this happens if I pick a 'faked' surround mode (called Logic 7 on my reciever) the squealy sound stops, and the reciever (which somehow detects the Dolby surround feed) switches itself back to the Dolby mode, problem solved till the next time.
Newfler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #227
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
My series 2 exhibited this tinny distortion yesterday. I've had it since the series 2 first came out and this is the first time the audio didn't work right. I even transferred a show over to my series 3 and the distortion was still there so it is in the encoding side of things. Live TV also sounded tinny. I cycled power on it and the problem seems to have gone away.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #228
axlebear

Audio sounds like kazoo intermittantly

After reading the comments on this problem and verifying that it did not exist if I bypassed the tivo set, I moved the tivo to the top of the tv where it got plenty of circulating air. The problem seems to be gone. It must be related to high temps.
axlebear is offline   Reply With Quote