TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-16-2003, 09:18 AM   #91
Crrink

Add me to the list.
My problem is intermittent, happens on some shows on some channels, but I haven't been able to discern any pattern yet.

I appreciate that this problem is difficult to replicate in the lab, so I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope that TiVo does find a solution soon

My problem TiVo is a 60 hour renewed unit I bought last January. No problems until about 2 weeks ago. So far I've only noticed the bad audio on two shows.
Crrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 12:43 PM   #92
gerryko

I rebooted 7 days ago and the kazoo problem has yet to reappear. I highly recommend pulling out the ac plug, waiting a minute and replugging.
gerryko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:09 PM   #93
Crrink

You know, that reminds me, we rebooted the unit several times last week due to my wireless NIC not responding, so rebooting kept this problem at bay for no more than a week on my TiVo.
Irritating.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:31 PM   #94
dros42

Add me to the list. Kazoo noise appears at random and is on all channels. Fixed by rebooting the tivo.

Series 1 Phillips HDR612 v3.0
dros42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:42 PM   #95
ccwf
国際化 Member

Just speculating here, but, so far as I know, the kazoo audio problem can affect all U.S. TiVos but doesn't affect any UK TiVos. (Does anyone know if UK TiVos are affected or of any U.S. models that aren't?) This would point to a difference in the hardware in the U.S. vs. UK units or, possibly, an old, unmerged software difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 12:10 AM   #96
Crrink

Noticed it on my 60 hour again tonight.
A reboot did clear it up, but it's only been a week or so since I last experienced the problem.
Irritating.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:27 PM   #97
mdareau

Wow..thought I was going nuts until I read this thread....I too have had the problem with *both* my series 1 AND my new series 2 units...have found that if I'm watching live tivo, I can channel up or down and SOMEtimes it will self correct...but that's not going to work if it comes in while you're doing "away" recording (of course)..another interesting audio thingy I've noted, while the "kazoo" doesn't come in, it sounds like something happens to the audio balance, like I'm in there working a fader.....

Tivo support....you're about to get a call.....
mdareau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 08:00 PM   #98
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaokulk
As I mentioned in another thread I started (didn't see this thread - Thanks Dave!), I had this problem a couple of times in October, it went away. It started again yesterday, and ruined the finale of Sisters (not for me, I was recording it for my mother-in-law!)

TiVoBill, TiVoPony, any further information on this Kazoo problem?

(BTW, for anyone who wants to know what it sounds like...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kaokul...gar/index.html

It's a 30 second MP3 clip that has the start of the problem [during Trading Spaces] and when the kazoo sound went away [during Two Guys and a Girl]. During this time, bypassing TiVo gave you a normal sounding signal.
I wasn't going to post until I heard your sound clip. I have always had this problem, but it is not nearly as bad as yours is. I only run TiVo through my TV speakers so the limited bandwidth may be why it is not as noticeable.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:52 AM   #99
Bruin

Interesting -

I had this same kazoo problem.
I have a TIVO series 2 60 hour, added additional 120gb.

About 1 week ago my tivo crashed and had to reinstall the os via an old backup to my 60 and 120, so just completed that less than 48 hours ago. So, my TIVO was therefore rebooted less than 48 hours ago. Noticed it on some recordings yesterday, thought it was a cable signal problem until I noticed it on a show I was recording today while watching it live. The kazoo sound was not coming from the cable feed I have a direct cable feed to the tv that did not have the same sound issues.

Checked different wires and that was neither an issue. As someone else stated here and I saw as well, it was only out of the right audio output channel that the kazoo sound was coming from. Oddly enough, some of the shows recorded yesterday had the kazoo sound out of both sound channels, but not the live feed today.

Rebooted and the kazoo sound went away, but I hope it doesn't come back in 24 hours.
Bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 01:25 AM   #100
gerryko

I started to have the problem again after rebooting 3 months ago. Rebooted again and that cured it
I think it happens when the harddrive gets really full. Just added another drive today so hopefully I won't hear that kazoo again
gerryko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 08:31 PM   #101
Bruin

don't think it has to do with how full a HD is because I had a 60+120gb hard drives and only 6 shows at medium quality recorded.
Bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:38 PM   #102
WildwoodBob

I have a Toshiba SD-H400 Combination Progressive-Scan DVD Player and TiVo Digital Media Server that I got in November and it has been working well. It seems that the Kazoo problem just cropped up last night.

A soft reboot fixes the problem.
WildwoodBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:38 AM   #103
ElVee
I have an old sumo

I've just started having this problem with the upgrade to 4.0.1

I've never heard it happen while watching the live buffer. It only seems to happen when recording a scheduled program.

I have an unmodified Sony SV3000

What's the latest on a possible fix?

- DirecTv HR20-700 - Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY
- DirecTv HR20-700 - Panasonic TH-50PX600U
- DirecTv HR10-250 HD TiVo
- Sony SV2000 & SV3000
ElVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 04:24 PM   #104
ccwf
国際化 Member

Latest I read was that TiVo had difficulty making the problem occur on-demand, which makes diagnosing and fixing the problem extremely difficult. If anyone has figured out a reasonably reliable way to trigger the bug, post it, and you can help get this bug finally squashed.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 02-11-2004, 08:15 PM   #105
coldtoes
vermicious knid

Just to encourage anyone who has just developed this problem, kazoo audio has not reoccurred on my 60-hr S2 since I rebooted in September 2002. I know that not everyone's has stayed fixed, but my experience at least shows that you have a decent chance of not having an ongoing problem.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:15 PM   #106
ElVee
I have an old sumo

Well, I rebooted yesterday and so far, so good.

- Sony SV2000 & SV3000
Old 02-17-2004, 09:02 PM   #107
halindrome

I am seeing this on programs that were recorded last week on my 60 hr philips series 2. Basically right after a new software update showed up and the system rebooted itself. I record off of satellite via a DirecTV RCA receiver, and have never had this audio problem before. Now I am seeing it on a bunch of programs. Rebooting doesn't eliminate the problem on programs that were already recorded. I have not heard this problem on live TV.
Hughes SD-DVR80 70hr
Philips DSR704 120hr
Is it wrong to have 8 tuners for 4 people?
halindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 08:49 AM   #108
ElVee
I have an old sumo

So far, so good after the reboot.

Fingers crossed.

- Sony SV2000 & SV3000
Old 03-09-2004, 04:21 PM   #109
Cervaise

I'm very happy to learn I'm not alone here, but I'm not so happy to learn that "it's a known problem that can't be diagnosed and fixed permanently."

My experience is the same as everybody else's: tinny audio, like CD-quality stream reduced to 8-bit mono; problem narrowed to TiVo by checking the cable in the other room (that has no DVR); also tried putting machine on standby to get clean audio throughput. It's definitely something about how TiVo handles sound compression.

And like everybody else, I tried a soft reboot, which cleared up the problem, and then I came here to do some research and discovered this thread.

Would it be worthwhile to submit a support request to TiVo just so they've got a record of it?
Cervaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:30 PM   #110
ccwf
国際化 Member

TiVo knows about this rare problem but doesn't know how to make it occur on-demand, which makes tracking down the cause and fixing it difficult.

[total speculation]
I wonder if this is related to the loss of audio with CacheCARD upgrade problem. If so, perhaps the smoothing caps mentioned in those threads would help with this issue. Also, has anyone tried using another power supply?
[/total speculation]

TiVo

中日韓
Old 03-17-2004, 11:03 AM   #111
Norwain

Same problem with Series 2. Reboot fixed it for now.
Norwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 02:08 PM   #112
shibanski

Ive owned at Tivo for over two and a half years now, and Ive experienced this kazoo audio problem since the day I bought mine. I thought Id share what Ive learned about this problem during this time.

As described earlier, kazoo audio sounds like tinny audio - a CD-quality stream reduced to 8-bit mono. The mp3 posted at mywebpages.comcast.net/kaoku...ygar/index.html is a great example of this problem.

I have a Sony SVR-2000 currently running v3.0-01. My hard drive crashed about a year after I purchased it, so I installed a new 120GB hard drive. I had this audio problem with the old hard drive, and I still have it with the new one.

Its been my experience that the amount of free space on the hard drive does not affect this problem.

Its been my experience that the selected recording quality does not affect this problem.

Ive rebooted my Tivo many times in the past couple years, and Ive found that this does nothing to prevent the problem from reoccurring.

I have cable through Time Warner cable in Austin. I use their Scientific Atlanta cable box. If I go through my cable box and bypass my Tivo I dont have this problem.

There is only one channel where Ive never experienced this problem HBO. Im not sure how the audio broadcast of HBO differs from other channels on my cable system, but theres got to be some kind of difference.

On the other hand, there are some programs that seem to be consistently plagued with the kazoo audio program. One program that comes to mind is the McLaughlin group on PBS. I watch this program weekly, and when I watched it last night almost the entire show was recorded in kazoo audio.

I called Tivo shortly after I purchased (Oct. 2001) and told them about this problem. The person I spoke to told me that he had never heard of it. He told me that it sounded like I had a cable problem. I havent called Tivo since that time, but Im sure whoever I talked to would still deny knowledge of the problem despite that fact that it has been documented fairly well in this forum.

Id purchase another Tivo, to see if the problem goes away, but as you read through this discussion thread youll notice that all types of Tivos seem to be affected by this problem (Series One and Two, different manufacturers, different software versions, etc.) So, theres no guarantee that a new unit wont have this problem. Besides, Ive already laid out $200 for lifetime service, and I dont feel like laying out another $300 for another Tivo.

So, what is causing this problem? I tend to agree with Cervaise - it's definitely something about how Tivo handles sound compression. Some audio streams it seems able to handle without incident (HBO in my case), while other audio streams it seems to have a lot of problems with (McLaughlin group).

I really enjoy my Tivo, but I cant fully recommend it to anyone else until they come up with a fix for this annoying problem.

I am sending a copy of this post to Tivo customer support. I suggest that anyone else in a similar situation document their problem and also let Tivo know.
shibanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 02:18 PM   #113
ccwf
国際化 Member

There's an acknowledgement of the problem by TiVoBill above in this thread. If you can make the kazoo audio problem occur consistently on your TiVo, you should contact them since, according to TiVoBill's post, one of the difficulties in resolving the bug has been the lack of an ability to reproduce it on-demand in their lab.

I also wonder if this problem might be in some way related to the total loss of audio until reboot problem, for which jafa believes he might have found the cause and a solution. See that thread or jafa's forum for more details.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 03-29-2004, 05:11 PM   #114
samkuhn

I had this problem crop up too. I have a ATT S2 Tivo. This is the first time I've heard it. The tinny audio was present in all recordings, including the yellow star audio! It did not, however, include mp3s that I played back using HMO.

A soft reboot fixed it for me. Just here checking things out. Glad to see it is not a sign of impending doom for my Tivo.
samkuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 06:50 PM   #115
rhreed

Sound Quality

Well I have read through the sound quality thread and here's my version. I get decent sound out of recordings on regular (non HD channels); but just viewed the last Sopranos (of 4/11)..HBO of course and the sound was awful. Wouldn't describe it as kazoo or tinny" but had to crank the TV volume (Hitachi rear projection HD) up to almost max to hear the dialog. I had about decided that the Tivo (Series 2) couldn't handle the digital input but after reading previous comments on this thread sounds like it may be more complex. The sound is very subdued with a lot of background static. Don't hear it when watching "live TV" although sound quality is definitely not as good as pre Tivo.
I am just using co ax in and out of Tivo. My receiver (Onkyo) has no effect on the sound. Would sound cables from the Tivo to TV help this or is this just a variation of the tinny sound syndrome?
Recorded ER the other night (no digital input) and sound was OK (again not
up to pre Tivo standards).
rhreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:08 PM   #116
ccwf
国際化 Member

This doesn't have anything to do with your main problem, but you're using RF to record downsampled HD!? RF is very limited and will result in an enormous reduction in both audio and video quality.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 04-19-2004, 05:21 PM   #117
topolski
Can't Remember

Re: Sound Quality

Quote:
Originally posted by rhreed
I get decent sound out of recordings on regular (non HD channels); but ...
Nope, not the same problem.

AT&T-branded TiVo (Series 2)
Modified for additional disk space
Lifetime subscription
topolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:48 PM   #118
rhreed

Sound Quality

Charles;
What is the solution to "using RF to record downsampled HD"?
Thanks,
RR
rhreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:09 PM   #119
ccwf
国際化 Member

Use something other than RF. Composite (yellow cable/jack) and stereo cables are significantly better than RF. S-Video is a little better than composite. For those models that have it, component (three video cables) is a tiny bit better than S-Video, and DVI/HDMI are even better still.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 04-21-2004, 01:14 AM   #120
kspince

Just had the problem occur to me today, having the audio sample there confirmed that this was the problem.

I reset/reboot it as the rest the members did - so here's what I've determined.

The kazoo sound starts at a certain time, and happens up until you reboot it.

Before I reboot the system, live tv had the same kazoo sound - so did a number of my recent recordings. After I reboot, live tv sounds fine, however, a few recent recordings (I'd imagine within the past day or so) still had the kazoo sound, meaning those recorded ones permanently have the kazoo sound as part of the audio.

Prior to the first recording I can find with that problem, all of my older recordings sound fine, so it's definitely something that happened between last night and now.

Hope it doesn't come back.
kspince is offline   Reply With Quote