TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2002, 11:16 PM   #61
sacherjj
Recumbent Cyclist

I don't think it has to do with two in the same rack. I only have one Series 2. Although, this started happening after my Series 2 was on for a couple weeks without rebooting. I can't tell exactly how long because TiVo hasn't released the 3.2 back door codes. I miss all of the things I could do with the back doors enabled on 3.0...
Old 12-24-2002, 10:41 PM   #62
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

OMG!!! I thought it was my TV. This happens to me all the time!
aadam101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 03:57 PM   #63
curiousgeorge

This has happened to me fairly regularly, but I never took the time to figure out if it was the TiVo or ther Sony DirecTV receiver. When it happens, I just shut off the satellite receiver for a few seconds, then turn it back on, and that fixes it, so I always assumed it was probably the sat receiver, although perhaps clearing the video stream in the TiVo (until it goes to the blue "I can't get andy video" screen") may be what was fixing it. Dunno...weird, and annoying.
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:52 AM   #64
jwtadmin

My AT&T 40 hour TiVo just started having this problem.

I first had the problem with a recorded show, it was awful! I couldn't continue watching the show.

A few days later I had it happen with Live TV.

X-mass Day I was recording the "Coupling" 1st and 2nd seasons on BBCA and the "tinny/kazoo" audio was on two of the ten shows.

I have AT&T digital cable I do have a splitter on my cable in, however BBCA is in the digital range so I cannot see how that would affect it.

I rebooted my TiVo right after hearing this the first time and it came back with in two weeks.

Any update from TiVo Support?

P.S. I just reported this to TiVo so as to build up support for this issue!

Last edited by jwtadmin : 12-30-2002 at 09:14 AM.
jwtadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 11:28 AM   #65
jwtadmin

Any thoughts on this?
Old 01-01-2003, 01:11 PM   #66
sacherjj
Recumbent Cyclist

Mine hasn't recurred since the reboot fixed it. I gave it a couple weeks and all is good. I even left TiVo alone for almost a week in Standby (the same setup that originally caused it for me.)
Old 01-18-2003, 08:59 AM   #67
Kaokulk

As I mentioned in another thread I started (didn't see this thread - Thanks Dave!), I had this problem a couple of times in October, it went away. It started again yesterday, and ruined the finale of Sisters (not for me, I was recording it for my mother-in-law!)

TiVoBill, TiVoPony, any further information on this Kazoo problem?

(BTW, for anyone who wants to know what it sounds like...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kaokul...gar/index.html

It's a 30 second MP3 clip that has the start of the problem [during Trading Spaces] and when the kazoo sound went away [during Two Guys and a Girl]. During this time, bypassing TiVo gave you a normal sounding signal.
Kaokulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 11:21 AM   #68
stevens229

Me, too---squealy sound

I'm having the exact same problem intermittently on my brand new Sony SVR-3000...posted it yesterday before seeing this thread.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=96530

Last night it went off for the first time when I powered down and powered back on.
stevens229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 07:40 PM   #69
BlueDevil98

Add me to the list...

My Tivo (bought last January) has done this three times in the past two weeks.... I guess the problem isn't solved...
BlueDevil98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:51 AM   #70
jwtadmin

I saw this again right after the TV guide upgrade.

My TiVo is almost full, which would go along with the bad block theory that was thrown around a while back.

Sound problems were on the recording. did a reboot and the problems went away but playback of the affected area still had the funky sound.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:48 PM   #71
ltguy25

Mine is doing this as well - no discernable pattern to when it does it (while recording, live tv, etc.)

I have a series 2, 140 hour upgrade.

How do I perform/force a reboot? I'd like to see if that works.
ltguy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 04:06 PM   #72
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ltguy25
How do I perform/force a reboot? I'd like to see if that works.
Message & Setup»System Reset

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 04:32 PM   #73
BlueDevil98

Well, I called tech support because it happened again. I was told by the Tivo rep that he had never heard of this problem. I was instructed to remove my splitter, and plug the tivo directly into the wall (instead of a power strip) and to call back if the problem still happens. (Both very very unlikely causes, since reboot the tivo and not playing with wires clears up the problem) So now I wait. I'm afraid that when I call back they are going to instruct me to spin around 10 times and say Hallelujah and then call back again.
BlueDevil98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 07:49 PM   #74
AngryJonny

I've been having the same "kazoo" problem, although it only seems to happen to me once or twice an hour for a few seconds -- annoying, but not maddening... yet. Reboots seem to be the usual suggestions you see from others here, but that doesn't help with my Series 2 TiVo. I'm going to report this to TiVo, but with so many having this problem, you'd think they'd figure out the problem and send out a patch or something.

- Jonny
AngryJonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 08:28 PM   #75
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AngryJonny
I've been having the same "kazoo" problem, although it only seems to happen to me once or twice an hour for a few seconds -- annoying, but not maddening... yet. Reboots seem to be the usual suggestions you see from others here, but that doesn't help with my Series 2 TiVo. I'm going to report this to TiVo, but with so many having this problem, …
Is it possible you don't have the same problem, then? Often, many problems have similar symptoms but different causes. The “classic” kazoo audio problem (which TiVoBill said a while back would be investigated) always or almost always is temporarily fixed by a (soft) reboot. If yours persists after a reboot, it may be another problem.

Also, have you tried turning the TiVo off for several minutes instead of just doing a soft reboot? No idea if that will help, but it's something to try. Have you listened to the sound clip above, and does it match the type of distortion you are hearing?

TiVo

中日韓
Old 09-18-2003, 11:29 PM   #76
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally posted by ccwf
Is it possible you don't have the same problem, then? Often, many problems have similar symptoms but different causes. The ?classic? kazoo audio problem (which TiVoBill said a while back would be investigated) always or almost always is temporarily fixed by a (soft) reboot. If yours persists after a reboot, it may be another problem.

Also, have you tried turning the TiVo off for several minutes instead of just doing a soft reboot? No idea if that will help, but it's something to try. Have you listened to the sound clip above, and does it match the type of distortion you are hearing?
Yes, the "kazoo" issue usually goes away after a reboot. A few of us at TiVo saw it again during the testing of software version 4.0.1 (we always put a lot of stress on systems during testing) but it has been very difficult to isolate a cause for. We have gone to some extremes to duplicate it in the lab and havn't had much luck yet doing that. It seems to happen at random and has always gone away as soon as a reboot is done and usually doesn't return for an extended period of time. It's a perplexing one for the engineers for sure. I know that is is still an open issue at TiVo...
TiVoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 10:21 AM   #77
kjmcdonald

THis just hit me too.

Hi all.

I bought my Tivo on Sept 1st. It quickly upgraded itself to 4.0, and I never saw this problem. It took me a week or so to get the oney together for the subscription, and about the same time that I did it kicked itself up to 4.0.1

Last night, all channels of live TV, and all recordings done within the past 2 days have this same problem that everyone is describing. I noticed it the worst on my recording of Threat Matrix.

Because I'm still within BestBuy's return period, I have already boxed up the Tivo with the intention of exchanging it, but I thought I'd check here first.
Since it's in the box, I haven't actually tried the 'reboot' quick fix.

Is exchanging it worth the hassel of getting my subscription moved to the new one? Will the new one have the same problems once it's upgraded to 4.0.1? f I'm going to need to have it fixed I'd prefer to do it when I can take it to the store, and not when I have to mail it to Tivo, but if the new on will do the same thing then why go through the hassel?

-K
kjmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 12:30 PM   #78
jwtadmin

When this initially happened to me I emailed TiVo and they told me that they wouldn't support me since my box was an AT&T. I was going to have to call AT&T about my TiVo.

Yeah Right! AT&T can barely help me with long distance, I'm sure they are going to have good CS for TiVo.

Needless to say I knew it was a software prob NOT a hardware, so I never called them.

I would be nice if this info was passed on to the people on the other end of the help line.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:31 PM   #79
ccwf
国際化 Member

Since it's not known whether all units or only some are affected and you're within your return period, you might as well try exchanging it in hopes that the new unit might not have the problem.

Reports of the problem have existed long before 4.0.1 (in fact, the problem affects series 1 units, which can't be upgraded to 4.0.1), so I think the problem occurring after the upgrade is probably coïncidental.

Also, I'd be curious if any UK TiVos exhibit the problem. I haven't seen any such reports (the closest sounding problem I've read about is the NICAM bug, but that's definitely something different), which would point towards the culprit being some difference in the hardware or software. Of course, with it being a rare bug and there being so many more U.S. TiVo owners than UK, it's somewhat possible they've just been lucky so far.

Since TiVo is having trouble isolating the cause, it would be a good idea for people to post lots of details about their setups and what their TiVo was doing at the time the problem occurred in hopes that someone can spot a pattern that will lead to identifying the cause.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 09-19-2003, 12:32 PM   #80
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally posted by jwtadmin
When this initially happened to me I emailed TiVo and they told me that they wouldn't support me since my box was an AT&T. I was going to have to call AT&T about my TiVo.

Yeah Right! AT&T can barely help me with long distance, I'm sure they are going to have good CS for TiVo.

Needless to say I knew it was a software prob NOT a hardware, so I never called them.

I would be nice if this info was passed on to the people on the other end of the help line.
It sounds like they just wanted you to call us. We don't generally do that type of troubleshooting through e-mail. We actually provide full support for the AT&T product so the number they gave you is likely the one for TiVo Customer Support.
TiVoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 04:59 PM   #81
kjmcdonald

Ow big of a hassel is it transferring my susbscription to the new Tivo?

'm not usre i want to delete all the recordings I already have on it. Though I was tihnking about reseting my thumbs up/down data and going through the setup again.

Well I want to get it done before the new season starts. I suppose Ishould do it now.
hope someon figures out what causes this and
fixes it soon, it's annoying to have to jump through these hoops, and it makes the audio unbearable.

-K
Old 09-22-2003, 01:29 PM   #82
gagco_tivo

Howdy folks!
I just posted a question about this in another thread. I thought it was related to the addition of a USB network adapter. Seems that it's been a known problem for a while.

My 'kazoo' sound seemed to start around 9/20 after putting my Tivo on the network on 9/17.

I will be rebooting tonight.
gagco_tivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 01:07 PM   #83
mharris813

My workaround really works!

I've also experienced the dreaded "kazoo" sound off and on ever since I've had Tivo.
Recently though I've found that using my satellite remote to quickly change the channel then change it back does fix the sound.
This workaround is certainly better than the time-consuming reboot. And unlike other suggestions, works every time for me.
Hope this helps someone solve this maddening problem!

My config:
Satellite - Sony SAT-A50
Tivo - Series 2
Software - 4.01
mharris813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 12:24 PM   #84
kjmcdonald

So far so good.

I did end up returning my tivo. The new one has not had this symptom come back yet.

I know the reboot will work. And possibly changing channels witht eh Cable remote might work too. If the problem was only with Live TV that might be acceptable.

But when I first noticed the problem, it was in a show I had asked Tivo to record. There's no work around for that. If you're not there to watch the show while it records it, then you're not there to change the channel or reboot it either.

I've got my fingers crossed that it doesn't come back. If it does, I'm not going to be a happy camper.

-Kyle
Old 10-08-2003, 03:30 PM   #85
gerryko

I too have that annoying kazoo problem. I did the reboot and the sound went away on a prerecorded Cubs game after about 8 minutes.

Don't know if that was related to the reboot...will have to wait and see if the problem reemerges.
gerryko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 10:30 PM   #86
chrishay
Seriously...I can't

this is not cool

Bought a Series 1, 20 hour in 12/01, and never had one single problem with it. Bought a series 2 40 hour in 9/03, and today, 10/08, I've got Kazoo Audio. Thanks to whomever put the mp3 up, that's exactly what I'm hearing, so I can at least know I'm not alone. Troubleshooting the problem definitely leads back to the Tivo, and I have changed cables. I'll go try the reboot now, but Tivo, PLEASE, find a way to duplicate and fix this. If you'd like, I'll call you when/if it's happening and you can come check out my machine personally!
Old 10-08-2003, 11:20 PM   #87
chrishay
Seriously...I can't

okay

reboot solved the problem...for now. Any techies have any idea what could be happening in the output circuitry to cause this? I'm wondering if the previously mentioned possibility of HD fragmentation might not be the cause as well.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:08 AM   #88
mago

Well it seems that the problem is also with Replaytv.

I have Replay and Tivo with satellite.

The same sounds on both units.

When I change to satellite only with the sound problem, it is still there and changing the channels usually brings the correct sound back.

The past two days I found that I could change the channels on satellite only and the problem continued.

Rebooting the Sony satellite receiver solved the problem for a short while and then it returned.

Because of this, I feel that the problems that we all have are related to the transmission from satellite.

Tom

Last edited by mago : 10-09-2003 at 06:25 AM.
mago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 04:55 PM   #89
chrishay
Seriously...I can't

Quote:
Originally posted by mago
Rebooting the Sony satellite receiver solved the problem for a short while and then it returned.

Because of this, I feel that the problems that we all have are related to the transmission from satellite.

Tom
I'm on cable, not sat, so unless it was a downlink problem at the cable headend, that's not what's happened to my machine. I haven't had the "kazoo" return since rebooting either, so I'll cross my fingers and hope that it was a random "glitch" that I won't be hearing again anytime soon.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:09 AM   #90
mago

Distored sounds.

I see the mention of having the same problem with "cable."

"Cable" is sent to your home from satellite and that is where the problems originate.

We are all having the same problems and it is from the transmissions in audio.

Tom