TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2002, 11:15 AM   #31
topolski
Can't Remember

Rebooting is the answer

Quote:
Originally posted by jlb
I have not had any problems on mine in the week and half or so since I rebooted mine. I would really hate to be without a tivo, even for a few days, but if the problem returns then so be it....
I rebooted several weeks ago and the problem has not returned. I'm not going to say it'll never come back -- but my experience is that it doesn't come back for a long time (if ever at all). Even though this is a Quality Assurance mystery that I'm sure they'd love to reproduce in their lab, someone at Tivo should make this the first troubleshooting step on their phone lines. Blaming it on cables, channels, TiVo hardware, and customer AV systems is just a waste of time and a ultimately an unintended disservice to customers.

I should state that rebooting works around the problem from that point forward. Programs recorded before the reboot will still have the audio problem.
topolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 01:50 PM   #32
TiVoBill

Note

Quote:
Originally posted by jlb [/i]
I called Tivo support to get my issue on record.....

interesting notes:

1) They say they are not allowed to read this forum so passing ona link to this thread will not be read.....

Customer Service Reps are not allowed to post to these forums, but I can assure you that many of them do read them (along with dozens of other employees of TiVo). I did pass the link onto our Customer Service Engineering team and they were already aware of the issue and are currently investigating it. I will let you know if I hear more.
TiVoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 03:08 PM   #33
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Thanks for the update TiVOBill.

I guess I just had an uninformed rep who didn't know the rules.......
Old 07-18-2002, 10:24 PM   #34
JDHouser

Howdy all. Thought I'd let everyone know that the "kazoo audio" problem isn't limited to Series 2 or AT&T units. I have a Sony SVR2000, which I have been using, without problem, since December 2001. Today, for the first time, I experienced the "kazoo audio" problem that everyone in this thread has described. Strangely, my TIVO was turned on, and sitting in the TIVO menu mode, as I was reading this forum. When the TIVO automatically switched out of the menu, and started broadcasting live TV, the audio problem had inexplicably fixed itself. I love my TIVO, but someone better figure out what is going on, before the company gets hit with a class action lawsuit from disgruntled customers.
JDHouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 02:31 PM   #35
beckpal

Re: Rebooting is the answer

[quote]Originally posted by topolski
[b]
I rebooted several weeks ago and the problem has not returned. I'm not going to say it'll never come back -- but my experience is that it doesn't come back for a long time (if ever at all).
------------
I first experienced the high-pitched squeal problem in April, one month after I got my series 2 with 3.0 ( yes, I was a beta tester). I notified tivo of the problem via beta tester email and received a call from a tech. We spent about an hour doing various connection things, he finally had me reboot and the problem went away. Since that time I have had the same problem recur about monthly, and stay around for approx 2 to 8 hours and then disappear all on its own. For the last month the squeal has come back with a vengeance, almost daily. Rebooting is just a temporary fix to say the least.

[quote]Originally posted by topolski
[b]
Even though this is a Quality Assurance mystery that I'm sure they'd love to reproduce in their lab, someone at Tivo should make this the first troubleshooting step on their phone lines. Blaming it on cables, channels, TiVo hardware, and customer AV systems is just a waste of time and a ultimately an unintended disservice to customers.
----------
You are so right there, with the numerous reports in this forum it is appears that this squeal definitely is not limited to a particular model or software. Please Tivo, make it go away!

Last edited by beckpal : 07-22-2002 at 02:36 PM.
beckpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 10:54 AM   #36
ColinD

Hi

From my observations this problem for me atleast seems to be hard disk related.

Im guessing that the hard disk is either too fragmented or having difficulty keeping up with the full stream.

I also think the reason it goes away by rebooting as it may be selecting a new are of the hard disk to record from. This would explain why the problem keeps coming back.

Either way my box has to go back.

Colin
ColinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 08:56 PM   #37
mmoore30

I to am having the "kazoo" sound. i contacted tech support and their solution is to change out the RCA cables. I did that and it came back. They then suggested that I add a signal booster to my cable. I have a splitter and no cable box. I did the reboot and it returned 4 days later 15 min into a recording. They gave me a case number, but it appears that not enough people are sharing this problem with TIVO. Their case log for this issue is minimal, and it seems that they do not believe it's a TIVO issue, but a cable issue. The tech support believes it's a week signal, but when I got to my TV on the splitter it's fine. Anyone have a suggestion??
mmoore30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 09:37 PM   #38
coldtoes
vermicious knid

I, too, have been having this problem for the last week or so on my 3-month-old Series 2 (TiVo, not AT&T). Props to whomever came up with the term "kazoo audio" - that's such a perfect description I knew I'd found the right thread as soon as I saw the title!

Thanks to those of you who posted in this thread, I solved the problem (for now) with a reboot. But I'm going to call TiVo tomorrow to report it since mmoore30 says TiVo's not getting enough reports of this; hopefully we can move this issue up their priority list.

Please TiVoBill and TiVoPony, get the techs working on this! If this many people are having problems, I'm sure there are many more who are annoyed by it but have not yet traced it to their TiVo, or who just haven't bothered to call yet.

Thanks.
coldtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 07:19 AM   #39
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

Quote:
Originally posted by coldtoes
Props to whomever came up with the term "kazoo audio" - that's such a perfect description I knew I'd found the right thread as soon as I saw the title!
Woo Hoo! I just checked and it was me!

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...rder=ascending

TiVo HD XL w/ 11.0g

Last edited by DaveLessnau : 09-17-2002 at 07:22 AM.
DaveLessnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 08:42 AM   #40
jlb
NCC-1701-D

TivoBill, you 've been great about reporting on this to us........

Any further ideas........

Is there any way to know, based on serial number, what manufacturer's hard drive is in a particular machine (not counting upgraded machines)?

If it is in fact a hard drive issue, as is proposed above, I'd be interested in knowing the trends on which HDs are having the most problems.

FYI, I have not had this problem since back when I first posted to this thread.....
Old 09-18-2002, 11:17 AM   #41
Brecko

I have had the same digitized sound. I have also troubleshot it down to the Tivo box. What is different between my unit and all of these replies is that my box is not a series 2, I have one of the first series 1 box from back in 1999. I never experience this problem until we moved (power off Tivo). I know get the audio problems at random times and random channels. Never on all channels. I have had it while watching TV and at some point the audio gets digitized or at other times I can change the channel and that channel will be digitized. Mostly it is to watch a recorded show and the whole thing or most of it is digitized. Changing the channel back and forth seams to help. I have been having this since Jan. 2001. I noticed someone else mention a color problem as well. I have had it where the colors get all messed up to the point you can not discern what you are looking at. Have had this one in quit a while. By the way, I am currently connected to a direct TV receiver and have tried the various input and output combinations to no effect.

I never opened an issue with Tivo since myu warrenty has long been over. Good luck to all of you. I think I will hold off on buying another Tivo until this issue is resolved.

Thanks for the posts...
Brecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 03:58 PM   #42
coldtoes
vermicious knid

Well, I sent TiVo the following message via their web support form:

"I have a 3-month-old TiVo Series 2, connected to a TV,
cable box, VCR, and audio receiver. The TiVo has performed flawlessly
until the last week or so, when it began experiencing intermittent audio
problems during recorded playback or live TV. The sound buzzes as if the
audio is being output through a kazoo. When I watch TV through my VCR, I
do not hear the kazoo-like buzzing.

I found this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...0&pagenumber=1
on the TiVo Community forum. From others who have
experienced this problem I learned that this issue was first reported to
TiVo in April, and that while swapping cables or audio outputs did not
solve the problem, it could be at least temporarily solved by rebooting
the TiVo. I have had no problems since I rebooted an hour ago.

I wanted to report this problem, however, so that you would be aware that
this issue has not gone away in the last six months and that a number of
your customers are experiencing it. I will certainly call if it recurs,
but I hope in the meantime you will continue to work on a solution to this
aggravating problem."

And I got the following response:

"Thank you for contacting TiVo!

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Unfortunately, we are unable to troubleshoot this technical issue by e-mail. Each hardware manufacturer provides their own support for the TiVo product.

To contact TiVo Technical Support, please call 1-877-367-8486.

Regards,

Erica

TiVo Customer Support"

This says to me that either my message was not read very closely, or their tech support system is not flexible enough to handle this type of "heads up" (rather than "I am having a problem now please fix it") request. I may try calling, but it's hard to get excited about a problem I'm not currently having. FYI, at any rate.

Last edited by coldtoes : 02-11-2004 at 08:06 PM.
coldtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 08:10 AM   #43
kristov

Status?

Whats the current status on this? I just bought my TIVO like 3 weeks ago and am having this problem.

My email to TIVO thus far has been ignored - and I got about a week left under the warranty.

Might I suggest to everyone looking for a TIVO - buy it from Best Buy for $350 - $50 rebate and for gods sake buy the 4 year warranty (WHICH I DIDNT) for $70 bucks.

From all the problems, and the fact that TIVO only has a 30 day warranty - these machines arent very realiable im guessing.....

-Kristov
kristov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 03:19 PM   #44
EricG
TiVo Junkie

Has anyone been having this problem with a DirecTiVo. I am.
See Help! My DirecTiVo Squeaks
Hughes HDVR2 (107 hr)
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 12:28 PM   #45
thakswet
Supreme Member

I also have this sound problem. I will reboot and take it up the bum again from TIVO.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:24 PM   #46
EricG
TiVo Junkie

Reboot does not fix mine.
Hughes HDVR2 (107 hr)
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 08:46 PM   #47
tedbill

Arrow I've got smae Audio Issue

Hey All,

I've got a series 2, 60 hours. Have had the exact same issues as described. If anyone figures out how to 'fix' this please post the solution!
tedbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:22 PM   #48
ontheverge

me too, ugh

let me chime in that kazoo audio has just hit me as well. five week old series two 60 hr running 3.0. will try a reboot and hope that solves it....
ontheverge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:22 PM   #49
ontheverge

me too, ugh

let me chime in that kazoo audio has just hit me as well. five week old series two 60 hr running 3.0. will try a reboot and hope that solves it....
Old 11-13-2002, 11:22 PM   #50
ontheverge

me too, ugh

Old 11-13-2002, 11:22 PM   #51
ontheverge

me too, ugh

Old 11-14-2002, 07:54 PM   #52
ontheverge

FYI power cycle fixed for me

For me, kazoo audio was at least temporarily fixed with a power cycle

T2 60hr 3.0
Old 11-15-2002, 05:51 AM   #53
kingmiwok

I just started getting it as well. I have an ATTivo Series 2 mod'ed to 120G/120G. Temp is OK. Cables are OK. TV Signal is OK. Even routed it through the VCR and it was still there. It's coming from Tivo itself.

One thing I noticed (so far)... It does it intermittently on live TV or on recently recorded programs. With limited testing, it DOES NOT do it on anything recorded prior to a week ago. So it may be a real-time encoding decoding issue with the audio.

My better half is already complaining. I'm going to try the reboot. (Please work.)

Also, the menus (i.e. deleting programs) was getting very slow about a week ago so we rebooted. It helped. Noise started about 3-4 days later.

GM
Old 12-05-2002, 11:36 PM   #54
juanian

I am another one who has just started having the 'squeal' sound occur on my TiVo Series 2. I bought it in August, and the problem started on Dec 3.

I happened to first notice this while a program was being recorded. I changed the channel (which stopped the recording), and the squeal appeared on all TiVo channels. I then switched my television input to receive from cable (bypassing TiVo), and there was no squeal. Switching back to TiVo had the return of the squeal. While I was tinkering to try and zero in on the problem, the squeal stopped (without restarting the TiVo).

I saw this as an odd one-time occurrence, but it also happened on the next three shows recorded (1: squeal started 17 minutes into the show; 2: squeal started 20 minutes into the show; 3: squeal from beginning to end; 4: squeal stopped 5 minutes into show). The first two shows were recorded at Medium; the last two were Basic. The next six recoded shows seem to be OK. (When the squeal started or stopped, there were no 'pops' or other oddities or gaps in the audio; there were also no oddities in the video at those times.)

My 60-hour Series 2 is unmodified. I can't tell when it was last restarted (without backdoors, no uptime info!). The current software is 3.2-01-2-1F0. It is cool here now, so heat should not be a problem (the TiVo temp is listed as 35c; room temp is ~65f; I have a divider under the TiVo to help separate intake from output).

A few more things:
I do currently have a "larger number" of recorded shows than I normally do; I have been watching (and deleting) shows (since Thanksgiving). (I am down to about 30 shows now.)

I have also noticed that some operations seem to take longer (like after making a programming change).

This thread seems to have stopped a while ago -- does this mean that the problem has gone away?!?

I have not called Customer Service yet; if the problem recurs, I guess I'll need to add one more voice to the list of people who have had this problem.

Thanks for any more info on this
Juan
juanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 12:48 AM   #55
tedbill

Not having the problem anymore

For what its worth, I haven't experienced this problem in over a month. I don't know if it was a fluke, or if they have released new software that plugged the gap. Hopefully I've seen the end of it for now . . .
tedbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 09:44 AM   #56
thakswet
Supreme Member

I also have not had this problem since the last time I posted in this topic. (knock on wood)
Old 12-08-2002, 09:33 AM   #57
ChileHead
TiVo Addict

I too had this problem once about 6 weeks ago. Happened on every channel and a reboot fixed it. Hasn't appeared again since.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:32 PM   #58
coldtoes
vermicious knid

I, too, have been kazoo-free since I rebooted shortly before my September post. To those of who for whom rebooting did not solve the problem -- what have you done? Has anyone contacted TiVo and gotten a useful response?
Old 12-20-2002, 02:06 PM   #59
sacherjj
Recumbent Cyclist

I experienced this recently with a Series 2 60 -> upgraded to 2 x 120, with 3.2-01-2-1F0. Reboot has seemed to stop it, but unfortunately I was gone for a full week while it was happening and many of my recorded shows are annoying to watch.

One thing that I did while I was gone, which I haven't done before, is leave the TiVo in Stand-By for the whole time. Usually the TiVo gets some output use atleast every two days. Did anyone get the kazoo effect after leaving the TiVo in Stand-By for long periods of time?
Old 12-23-2002, 08:17 PM   #60
BarryD99

I've had a Series 2 for about 4 months. Installed a second two weeks ago (in the same rack, one on top of another). Experienced the problem for the first time (twice) last week on the original unit.

I wonder if the problem has anything to do with having 2 units in the same rack.
BarryD99 is offline   Reply With Quote