TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

TiVo tweeted that streaming for android is coming next month

Finally, TiVo has tweeted some love for Android. I'll wait till it's out before I run to BestBuy and grab me a Stream.
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
Finally, TiVo has tweeted some love for Android. I'll wait till it's out before I run to BestBuy and grab me a Stream.
If I had grabbed a Stream when I initally wanted to, it would be almost two years now. I'm glad I didn't puchase one and got a Slingbox 350 instead. Of course now I have the built in Stream in my Roamio Pro, that has been useless to me for the last year.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'll say it.... about f*cking time!!!
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
MScottC

What is this android you are all talking about????
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
JayBird

What about Windows?

Any hope for streaming to Windows laptops or tablets?
HTPC w/ Ceton InifiniTV4 (4 TB)
Denon AVR-3808CI A/V receiver
Pioneer KURO PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma HDTV
Logitech Harmony One remote
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
jrtroo
User

You can *hope* for anything you want. Nothing related to Windows has been rumored.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

If they did in fact switch to MPEG-DASH then there is some hope, since that's a standard and supported on Windows as well. HLS, which is what they use now, requires a plug-in or licensing a 3rd party API to get working on Windows right now.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
moyekj

A major change such as HLS to MPEG-DASH would require a Stream software update, but when I checked the summer update on my Roamio Pro did not change the Stream software version. So there would need to be an update to Stream software as well as coordinated updates to Android and IOS apps for that to all come together. Pretty unlikely for all that to happen at once I would say...

Since I have an iPad Air I'm actually more interested in elimination of the proxy server to make OOH streaming more useable than anything else at this point, but my guess is the focus has been on getting Android supported at the expense of everything else Stream related. I fear we may be stuck with proxy server perpetually...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
A major change such as HLS to MPEG-DASH would require a Stream software update, but when I checked the summer update on my Roamio Pro did not change the Stream software version. So there would need to be an update to Stream software as well as coordinated updates to Android and IOS apps for that to all come together. Pretty unlikely for all that to happen at once I would say...

Since I have an iPad Air I'm actually more interested in elimination of the proxy server to make OOH streaming more useable than anything else at this point, but my guess is the focus has been on getting Android supported at the expense of everything else Stream related. I fear we may be stuck with proxy server perpetually...
They would continue to support HLS on iOS, so it wouldn't require an update to the iOS app when Android streaming is opened up. This is because Apple still requires HLS for cellular streaming. So that just leaves an updated Android app and possibly a Stream update (assuming of course that MPEG-Dash will be the protocol). If they've implemented their own HLS pipeline in the Android app, they might not even need to update the Stream...it'll certainly be interesting to see what happens next month when the switch is thrown
A Web app for Roku Remote Control

Last edited by gonzotek : 08-20-2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Forgot TiVo doesn't allow streaming over cellular
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
Good luck trying to track down a Stream, I had to go to six Best Buys in order to find one. They're mysteriously hard to find.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #11
JWhites

Got some news from tech support today. Apprently the DVR's, Stream, and both the iOS and Android apps are recieving "groundbreaking" and "revolutionizing" new updates next month. No idea what it means but it sure sounds cool!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
JayBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Good luck trying to track down a Stream, I had to go to six Best Buys in order to find one. They're mysteriously hard to find.
They are in stock and ready to ship from Amazon...
HTPC w/ Ceton InifiniTV4 (4 TB)
Denon AVR-3808CI A/V receiver
Pioneer KURO PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma HDTV
Logitech Harmony One remote
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #13
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post
They are in stock and ready to ship from Amazon...
Ah well yes Amazon and TiVo.com of course would have it, I was just referring to Best Buy because it was mentioned.
I'm also curious about the whole "Stream runs really hot" issue I've heard about and experience. On a given day, streaming a show locally my Stream seems to hover around 70 degrees Celsius and around 38 degrees Celsius when in standby mode. I heard there was major issues with Streams built in 2012?

Last edited by JWhites : 08-26-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #14
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
What is this "Best Buys" you speak of?
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #15
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
What is this "Best Buys" you speak of?
It's a plural name for a virtual and brick and mortar electronics store. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tivo-str...ream&cp=1&lp=1