TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
rspike

Romeo Plus w/2 Minis ???

Hi, all . . .

Iím a longtime Tivo Customer --- Been so since 1999 and am very pleased.
I currently have a Premier 4 in my Family Room and a Premier in my Bedroom along with a TiVo Stream. The Premier in my Bedroom is 3 years old, and the fan is starting to grind quite a bit and I fear the unit may be on the way out. As a result, Iím trying to be a bit proactive.

I use the Multiroom Streaming/Viewing quite a bit (with a MoCa Connection) and it works well. The frustration is that two different To-Do Lists need to be managed.

My thought is to purchase a Romeo Plus for the Family Room and then purchase two additional Miniís Ė one for my Bedroom, and one for my Kitchen. Itís very appealing to have one ďMaster TiVoĒ that would house all of the recordings and have to manage just one To-Do List from any of the devices.

Iím looking for Pros/Cons about this proposed Setup. Specifically, how well does the Mini perform? Whatís the best way to transfer all Recordings from both of my current TiVos to the new Romeo? What compelling reasons are there to absolutely pull the trigger and do it? What compelling reasons are there to NOT do it?

Thanks, in advance, for any feedback and assistance to help make this decision.
rspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

The mini performs just fine on MoCA or Ethernet, and I'd upgrade that drive in the Plus to a 3TB right away, no reason not to, or just order a Pro.

Just put the new Roamio in the network with the others, you can transfer from unit to unit or you can use kmttg if you prefer (unless you're TWC and you can't transfer between your current units on some recordings.)

Other than cost I can see no con to your new setup but you can easily replace the dying fan.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
rspike

Perfect.

You're suggesting to update the drive (I'm assuming) for more storage. 150 Hours seems like plenty for me and my family. If I fill that, I've got far too much TV to watch.

Curious though --- what is the best way to upgrade the drive?
rspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspike View Post
Perfect.

You're suggesting to update the drive (I'm assuming) for more storage. 150 Hours seems like plenty for me and my family. If I fill that, I've got far too much TV to watch.

Curious though --- what is the best way to upgrade the drive?
Take out the old drive, install the new blank 3TB drive, the Tivo will reformat it for use, yes, the Roamio is THAT easy.

I just opted for a Pro, the price difference was about the same as buying a 3TB and I got to keep everything warranty proof.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #5
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
My thought is to purchase a Romeo Plus for the Family Room and then purchase two additional Miniís Ė one for my Bedroom, and one for my Kitchen. Itís very appealing to have one ďMaster TiVoĒ that would house all of the recordings and have to manage just one To-Do List from any of the devices.

Iím looking for Pros/Cons about this proposed Setup. Specifically, how well does the Mini perform?
I'm new to TiVo. Last Fall we ditched our Comcast set top boxes and bought a Roamio Plus and two Minis. Couldn't be happier -- the Roamio and Minis performance is very good.

The Roamio is a joy to use. You'll notice the Minis take a second or so longer to change channels than on the Roamio. That's about the only negative I can think of.

In the kitchen the Mini is located on the back of a cabinet (below the wall mounted TV). In the bedroom the Mini is located behind the wall mounted TV. All the wires are in the wall. Very clean professional looking installation.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
bobfrank

Quote:
Hi, all . . .

Iím a longtime Tivo Customer --- Been so since 1999 and am very pleased.
I currently have a Premier 4 in my Family Room and a Premier in my Bedroom along with a TiVo Stream. The Premier in my Bedroom is 3 years old, and the fan is starting to grind quite a bit and I fear the unit may be on the way out. As a result, Iím trying to be a bit proactive.

I use the Multiroom Streaming/Viewing quite a bit (with a MoCa Connection) and it works well. The frustration is that two different To-Do Lists need to be managed.

Iím looking for Pros/Cons about this proposed Setup. Specifically, how well does the Mini perform? Whatís the best way to transfer all Recordings from both of my current TiVos to the new Romeo? What compelling reasons are there to absolutely pull the trigger and do it? What compelling reasons are there to NOT do it?

Thanks, in advance, for any feedback and assistance to help make this decision.
I've owned every Tivo except the Premier. I upgraded from 2 HD's to a Roamio and 2 Minis. Like you I was worried about the performance. Good news. I can't tell the difference between the performance of the Minis and the Roamio as far as play back is concerned.

The single Now Playing list is great. I thought those ads touting watching part of a program in one room on a DVR and then finishing it in another room were silly. Now I'm surprised at how often we do that now.

Also, transferring shows to and from the computer are so much faster than my HD was.

There are a few things you can't do on the Mini that has to be done on the Roamio. But, they're minor. In fact, I can't remember what any of them are right now.

With that fan going bad you have a great excuse, I mean a valid reason, to make the switch.

Cost would be the only reason I can think for not going with the Roamio and Minis.
bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Unfortunately, you can't watch Amazon content that was downloaded to the Roamio on the Mini.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote