TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
gwuinsf
Clueless Member

Would MoCA network + Powerline work?

So first off, I have a Tivo Premiere XL4 and a Mini. I live in a 2-bedroom condo in a large building, and we have a service that provides Internet to the whole building. My condo is not wired for Ethernet. I have my Internet coming into my guest room/office where it connects to my router. My Tivo is in my bedroom and my Mini is in my living room.

I understand that unless I want to spool Cat-5 thru my condo, MoCA is my best option. I did read this excellent post on explaining MoCA networks: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=501722. I don't think a MoCA adapter is an option for me since my modem is in a utility closet and my router is in my office. So I'm wondering if a MoCA/power line hybrid would work.

Could I connect my Tivo in my bedroom to the Internet via Powerline and use it to create my MoCA network? And then connect my Mini onto the MoCA network through the coax? My logic is that the streaming between the Tivo and Mini will take place over the coax, and hopefully the bandwidth the Tivo needs from the network is enough over power line.

Thoughts?
gwuinsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #2
gwuinsf
Clueless Member

I just read the first reply of that thread I posted and it supports my theory. In fact it says that I can keep the Tivo on wireless and connect my Mini via MoCA. So I'm going to try that tonight.

I would delete this thread but I can't figure out how. lol
gwuinsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

Some people will very fast and robust wireless N networks (using wireless N adapters) can get away with being wireless, but not everybody can. Otherwise the Tivo has to be wired.

Haven't used powerline myself but maybe someone else can chime in. A hybrid setup might work, or if powerline works you could use powerline for the Mini too.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
eugenegh2

This does work, my Premiere XL4 is connected to the network using a Powerline adapter and it connects to the Minis over MoCa. This keeps the TiVo traffic on the MoCa network (which is faster than the Powerline adapter).

Powerline Adapter: Western Digital Powerline AV (up to 200Mbps, usually at ~150Mpbs)
The MoCa connection between the TiVo devices is around 250Mbps.

Speeds will vary of course depending on wiring, splitters, etc.
eugenegh2 is offline   Reply With Quote