TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #31
stellie93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
We're human. We sin.

I guess I'm looking at it from the point of view of the woman who lost her husband and 2 kids. I don't know where they are, but I'm going with the idea that they are in a better place, or at least not a worse place. If I can't believe that, I'm going to go crazier than she is.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #32
Test
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
And he also seems to be assuming A) That the person answers "yes"
Also, this isn't assumed. When they reveal what question 121 is the relative answered 120 "yes".

Busyba, you're right about the questions being about the missing
__________________
.
Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #33
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
Also, this isn't assumed. When they reveal what question 121 is the relative answered 120 "yes".
What?

Everybody always answer both questions the same?

I thought it was just 121, and just for Nora...
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #34
Jim_TV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
We're human. We sin.
I believe the show's creator has explicitly said that they do not intend to ever explain what caused the departure. The show is more about the 98% of the leftover people still on earth and how they react to the aftermath of this strange event.

Of course, not every character in the show itself or people in the audience watching it are going to view the departure through the filter of Christian mythology or as a rapture event.

Another potential explanation might be that these people were "beamed" off the planet to another place by an alien intelligence to serve as food, slave labor or for zoo exhibits.

There's also the idea- explored previously in movies like The Matrix or The Thirteenth Floor- that the world we know and the people in it are not real per se but are instead projections of a very advanced computer simulation. The disappearance of 2% of the world's population might be as simple as a glitch in the program. This is actually my favorite theory.
Jim_TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #35
busyba
The Funcooker
 
busyba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 26,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
What?

Everybody always answer both questions the same?

I thought it was just 121, and just for Nora...
I believe he's referring to the scene where we finally find out what question 121 is. In that scene, the person being questioned answered yes to 120.
__________________
"Wow... I so love you" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #36
busyba
The Funcooker
 
busyba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 26,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_TV View Post
The disappearance of 2% of the world's population might be as simple as a glitch in the program.
One of the hard drives crashed.
__________________
"Wow... I so love you" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #37
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I believe he's referring to the scene where we finally find out what question 121 is. In that scene, the person being questioned answered yes to 120.
But his argument is that everybody would answer 121 yes, and then he uses 120 somehow as evidence for that.

Then again, not much of anything he says makes much sense to me, so I should probably just give up trying to understand.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #38
Test
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
But his argument is that everybody would answer 121 yes, and then he uses 120 somehow as evidence for that.

Then again, not much of anything he says makes much sense to me, so I should probably just give up trying to understand.
That's not what I said, but ok
__________________
.
Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #39
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,440
Um...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
These people aren't dead, they're just gone. Which brings me back to my original point. If the previous question was "Are you a religious person?" the answer to the next question "Are they in a better place?" would have to be yes with everything they know. I'll have to go pause on the shot of the questionnaire, but I'm pretty sure that is what I read.

__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #40
Test
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Um...
Right so if they are a religious person and believe they've been raptured how could they not be in a better place?
__________________
.
Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #41
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
Right so if they are a religious person and believe they've been raptured how could they not be in a better place?
And again, you're assuming A) That the person answers "yes"; B) That "religious" means "Christian"; C) That "Christian" means "American Fundamentalist"; and D) That the person is able to reconcile what happened with Fundamentalist American rapture theology. None of which is a given. Except, apparently, in your mind. Which is what I just can't understand.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #42
Test
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
And again, you're assuming A) That the person answers "yes"; B) That "religious" means "Christian"; C) That "Christian" means "American Fundamentalist"; and D) That the person is able to reconcile what happened with Fundamentalist American rapture theology. None of which is a given. Except, apparently, in your mind. Which is what I just can't understand.
You saw the ending of this episode right? Nora interviews the lady and she clearly answers yes to 120
__________________
.
Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #43
busyba
The Funcooker
 
busyba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 26,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
You saw the ending of this episode right? Nora interviews the lady and she clearly answers yes to 120
Ok, that accounts for "A". Not B-D.
__________________
"Wow... I so love you" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #44
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
You saw the ending of this episode right? Nora interviews the lady and she clearly answers yes to 120
So how does that imply that everybody would answer the question that way?
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #45
Test
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Ok, that accounts for "A". Not B-D.
Ehhhhh she didn't seem Jewish
__________________
.
Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #46
Test
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
So how does that imply that everybody would answer the question that way?
I don't get how you don't get this.

This is how I've been watching the show...from posts in the other episode threads I was under the impression this was the rapture. There is also a book that this show is based off of, so I'm thinking people here have read it and are posting with info from that.

2% of the worlds population just up and vanish! a religious Christian would have to think rapture.

Working under that...When asking 120 and having it answered "yes" how could the answer to 121 be "no"?
__________________
.
Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:05 AM   #47
Jim_TV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 139
Clearly, not every character on the show thinks the departure was a rapture even if some of them are religious in some way, shape or form. Who knows exactly what a rapture would look like anyway? Most of the characters are rightfully confused by what happened, and understandably so.
Jim_TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:41 AM   #48
Dawghows
Registered User
 
Dawghows's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_TV View Post
Clearly, not every character on the show thinks the departure was a rapture even if some of them are religious in some way, shape or form.
Most notably, in fact, the most obviously religious character on the show: the preacher himself. He's done everything he can to convince people that it wasn't The Rapture.

(Although his reasoning is at odds with what I posted earlier about the teachings from my more-or-less Fundamentalist upbringing. But, ya know, beliefs differ from person to person, church to church, denomination to denomination, and TV show to TV show.)
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #49
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
Working under that...When asking 120 and having it answered "yes" how could the answer to 121 be "no"?
And the fact that you apparently can't see that not everybody would answer 120 "yes" boggles my mind.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #50
cherry ghost
Registered User
 
cherry ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post

Working under that...When asking 120 and having it answered "yes" how could the answer to 121 be "no"?

120 is if the departed was religious. 121 is if the person being interviewed thinks the departed is in a better place.

Just because my departed relative is religious and I answer "yes" to 120, doesn't mean I, not religious, think they're in a better place.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #51
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 14,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Weird that anyone would answer no to question 12. What reason do they have to think they are in a worse place? Don't people in general, whether they're religious or not think you go to a better place when you die? And wouldn't you be optimistic, since you have no evidence to the contrary?
How do they know the people died? They don't have any clue what happened to the people. Only that they disappeared.

There was a report on the News recently about China. IN it this man had one of his kids taken by the government almost ten years ago and supposedly put up for adoption. He doesn't really know for sure. But every day he wakes up and wants to know what happened to his child. Is she alive? Is she adopted? Is she Ok? he has absolutely no idea and the fact that he doesn't know haunts him every day almost a decade later.

Now take the situation with the Leftoever. A bunch of people disappear. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It doesn't fit with any religious writings and people have absolutely no idea what happened to them. Most people would be looking for answers. But the problem is there are no answers. Only speculation and conjecture. They have no idea what happened. Only that their loved ones vanished. There is no proof of anything. The not knowing would be maddening.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x4
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #52
getbak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghows View Post
(Although his reasoning is at odds with what I posted earlier about the teachings from my more-or-less Fundamentalist upbringing. But, ya know, beliefs differ from person to person, church to church, denomination to denomination, and TV show to TV show.)
It's not really at odds with Fundamentalist teachings. I would think that the people who most-strongly believe in the Fundamentalist viewpoint of the Rapture would be the most likely to believe that whatever happened to the departed, it wasn't the Rapture.

As you said, the Fundamentalist belief is that a person's actions have no bearing on whether or not they get into Heaven. The one and only determining factor is if they've truly and sincerely accepted Jesus as their saviour.

If this event were the Rapture as defined by the Fundamentalist belief system, the only people who would have disappeared would have been Christians.

Early in the first episode of the series, we see the scientist guy presenting his findings to the hearing. He clearly says that there was no discernible single link tying together the people who disappeared, including religion. It was 2% of everyone. 2% of the world's Christians and 2% of the world's atheists. 2% of the world's Muslims, Hindus, Satanists, etc.

That is completely contradictory to the Fundamentalist belief of what will happen during the Rapture.
__________________
When you do this without getting punched, you'll have more fun.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #53
Dawghows
Registered User
 
Dawghows's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It's not really at odds with Fundamentalist teachings. I would think that the people who most-strongly believe in the Fundamentalist viewpoint of the Rapture would be the most likely to believe that whatever happened to the departed, it wasn't the Rapture.

As you said, the Fundamentalist belief is that a person's actions have no bearing on whether or not they get into Heaven. The one and only determining factor is if they've truly and sincerely accepted Jesus as their saviour.

If this event were the Rapture as defined by the Fundamentalist belief system, the only people who would have disappeared would have been Christians.

Early in the first episode of the series, we see the scientist guy presenting his findings to the hearing. He clearly says that there was no discernible single link tying together the people who disappeared, including religion. It was 2% of everyone. 2% of the world's Christians and 2% of the world's atheists. 2% of the world's Muslims, Hindus, Satanists, etc.

That is completely contradictory to the Fundamentalist belief of what will happen during the Rapture.
Right. I don't disagree with his assertion that this was not The Rapture, and the reasons you gave -- the fact that not only Christians were taken -- are exactly correct. I'm saying that his reasoning on the show -- by which I mean, he's running around pointing out all the bad things some of the departed had done -- is at odds with Fundamentalist teachings.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #54
Test
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
And the fact that you apparently can't see that not everybody would answer 120 "yes" boggles my mind.
I never said everyone would answer 120 yes
__________________
.
Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #55
Test
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
120 is if the departed was religious. 121 is if the person being interviewed thinks the departed is in a better place.

Just because my departed relative is religious and I answer "yes" to 120, doesn't mean I, not religious, think they're in a better place.
That's true, this was before when I thought the 120 question was are you a religious person. Busyba clarified that 120 is actually asking about the departed not the one being questioned.
__________________
.
Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:11 AM   #56
Ment
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 8,110
Watched the end scene with Nora and the relative again. Question 121 had a yes/no and then a 'please explain below' under it which would immediately allow the questioner to interject with leading clarifications to influence the resulting answer explaining how Nora's surveys always had yes to 121.

Then I looked at Question 122 'In your opinion was the departed a racist' lol that is messed up.
__________________
This is so not gummy bears
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #57
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,779
Have they mentioned what's in it for the person answering the questionnaire? Is this a government sponsored thing that these people are required to answer? If someone came to me with a very personal 120+ question questionnaire, I'd tell them to go take a flying leap and the heck out of my house!!
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #58
Ment
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 8,110
They get money from a fund kind of like the 9/11 family survivors.
__________________
This is so not gummy bears
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #59
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
They get money from a fund kind of like the 9/11 family survivors.
Thanks for the clarification. I've been trying to figure out what would compel these people sit there and bring up all this pent up emotion and answer dozens of questions. I guess money will help convince some people.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #60
innocentfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_TV View Post
I believe the show's creator has explicitly said that they do not intend to ever explain what caused the departure. The show is more about the 98% of the leftover people still on earth and how they react to the aftermath of this strange event.
I hate shows that never explain though so it looks like this series will be a skip for me.
__________________
1 - TiVo Roamio Pro
2 - TiVo Premiere XL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |