TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #31
stellie93

We're human. We sin.

I guess I'm looking at it from the point of view of the woman who lost her husband and 2 kids. I don't know where they are, but I'm going with the idea that they are in a better place, or at least not a worse place. If I can't believe that, I'm going to go crazier than she is.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #32
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
And he also seems to be assuming A) That the person answers "yes"
Also, this isn't assumed. When they reveal what question 121 is the relative answered 120 "yes".

Busyba, you're right about the questions being about the missing
Old 08-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #33
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
Also, this isn't assumed. When they reveal what question 121 is the relative answered 120 "yes".
What?

Everybody always answer both questions the same?

I thought it was just 121, and just for Nora...
Old 08-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #34
Jim_TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
We're human. We sin.
I believe the show's creator has explicitly said that they do not intend to ever explain what caused the departure. The show is more about the 98% of the leftover people still on earth and how they react to the aftermath of this strange event.

Of course, not every character in the show itself or people in the audience watching it are going to view the departure through the filter of Christian mythology or as a rapture event.

Another potential explanation might be that these people were "beamed" off the planet to another place by an alien intelligence to serve as food, slave labor or for zoo exhibits.

There's also the idea- explored previously in movies like The Matrix or The Thirteenth Floor- that the world we know and the people in it are not real per se but are instead projections of a very advanced computer simulation. The disappearance of 2% of the world's population might be as simple as a glitch in the program. This is actually my favorite theory.
Jim_TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #35
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
What?

Everybody always answer both questions the same?

I thought it was just 121, and just for Nora...
I believe he's referring to the scene where we finally find out what question 121 is. In that scene, the person being questioned answered yes to 120.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #36
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_TV View Post
The disappearance of 2% of the world's population might be as simple as a glitch in the program.
One of the hard drives crashed.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #37
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I believe he's referring to the scene where we finally find out what question 121 is. In that scene, the person being questioned answered yes to 120.
But his argument is that everybody would answer 121 yes, and then he uses 120 somehow as evidence for that.

Then again, not much of anything he says makes much sense to me, so I should probably just give up trying to understand.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #38
Test

Quote:
But his argument is that everybody would answer 121 yes, and then he uses 120 somehow as evidence for that.

Then again, not much of anything he says makes much sense to me, so I should probably just give up trying to understand.
That's not what I said, but ok
Old 08-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #39
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Um...
Quote:
These people aren't dead, they're just gone. Which brings me back to my original point. If the previous question was "Are you a religious person?" the answer to the next question "Are they in a better place?" would have to be yes with everything they know. I'll have to go pause on the shot of the questionnaire, but I'm pretty sure that is what I read.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #40
Test

Quote:
Um...
Right so if they are a religious person and believe they've been raptured how could they not be in a better place?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #41
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Right so if they are a religious person and believe they've been raptured how could they not be in a better place?
And again, you're assuming A) That the person answers "yes"; B) That "religious" means "Christian"; C) That "Christian" means "American Fundamentalist"; and D) That the person is able to reconcile what happened with Fundamentalist American rapture theology. None of which is a given. Except, apparently, in your mind. Which is what I just can't understand.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #42
Test

Quote:
And again, you're assuming A) That the person answers "yes"; B) That "religious" means "Christian"; C) That "Christian" means "American Fundamentalist"; and D) That the person is able to reconcile what happened with Fundamentalist American rapture theology. None of which is a given. Except, apparently, in your mind. Which is what I just can't understand.
You saw the ending of this episode right? Nora interviews the lady and she clearly answers yes to 120
Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #43
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
You saw the ending of this episode right? Nora interviews the lady and she clearly answers yes to 120
Ok, that accounts for "A". Not B-D.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #44
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
So how does that imply that everybody would answer the question that way?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #45
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Ok, that accounts for "A". Not B-D.
Ehhhhh she didn't seem Jewish
Old 08-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #46
Test

Quote:
So how does that imply that everybody would answer the question that way?
I don't get how you don't get this.

This is how I've been watching the show...from posts in the other episode threads I was under the impression this was the rapture. There is also a book that this show is based off of, so I'm thinking people here have read it and are posting with info from that.

2% of the worlds population just up and vanish! a religious Christian would have to think rapture.

Working under that...When asking 120 and having it answered "yes" how could the answer to 121 be "no"?
Old 08-08-2014, 04:05 AM   #47
Jim_TV

Clearly, not every character on the show thinks the departure was a rapture even if some of them are religious in some way, shape or form. Who knows exactly what a rapture would look like anyway? Most of the characters are rightfully confused by what happened, and understandably so.
Jim_TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:41 AM   #48
Dawghows

Quote:
Clearly, not every character on the show thinks the departure was a rapture even if some of them are religious in some way, shape or form.
Most notably, in fact, the most obviously religious character on the show: the preacher himself. He's done everything he can to convince people that it wasn't The Rapture.

(Although his reasoning is at odds with what I posted earlier about the teachings from my more-or-less Fundamentalist upbringing. But, ya know, beliefs differ from person to person, church to church, denomination to denomination, and TV show to TV show.)
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #49
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Working under that...When asking 120 and having it answered "yes" how could the answer to 121 be "no"?
And the fact that you apparently can't see that not everybody would answer 120 "yes" boggles my mind.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #50
cherry ghost

Quote:

120 is if the departed was religious. 121 is if the person being interviewed thinks the departed is in a better place.

Just because my departed relative is religious and I answer "yes" to 120, doesn't mean I, not religious, think they're in a better place.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #51
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Weird that anyone would answer no to question 12. What reason do they have to think they are in a worse place? Don't people in general, whether they're religious or not think you go to a better place when you die? And wouldn't you be optimistic, since you have no evidence to the contrary?
How do they know the people died? They don't have any clue what happened to the people. Only that they disappeared.

There was a report on the News recently about China. IN it this man had one of his kids taken by the government almost ten years ago and supposedly put up for adoption. He doesn't really know for sure. But every day he wakes up and wants to know what happened to his child. Is she alive? Is she adopted? Is she Ok? he has absolutely no idea and the fact that he doesn't know haunts him every day almost a decade later.

Now take the situation with the Leftoever. A bunch of people disappear. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It doesn't fit with any religious writings and people have absolutely no idea what happened to them. Most people would be looking for answers. But the problem is there are no answers. Only speculation and conjecture. They have no idea what happened. Only that their loved ones vanished. There is no proof of anything. The not knowing would be maddening.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #52
getbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghows View Post
(Although his reasoning is at odds with what I posted earlier about the teachings from my more-or-less Fundamentalist upbringing. But, ya know, beliefs differ from person to person, church to church, denomination to denomination, and TV show to TV show.)
It's not really at odds with Fundamentalist teachings. I would think that the people who most-strongly believe in the Fundamentalist viewpoint of the Rapture would be the most likely to believe that whatever happened to the departed, it wasn't the Rapture.

As you said, the Fundamentalist belief is that a person's actions have no bearing on whether or not they get into Heaven. The one and only determining factor is if they've truly and sincerely accepted Jesus as their saviour.

If this event were the Rapture as defined by the Fundamentalist belief system, the only people who would have disappeared would have been Christians.

Early in the first episode of the series, we see the scientist guy presenting his findings to the hearing. He clearly says that there was no discernible single link tying together the people who disappeared, including religion. It was 2% of everyone. 2% of the world's Christians and 2% of the world's atheists. 2% of the world's Muslims, Hindus, Satanists, etc.

That is completely contradictory to the Fundamentalist belief of what will happen during the Rapture.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #53
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It's not really at odds with Fundamentalist teachings. I would think that the people who most-strongly believe in the Fundamentalist viewpoint of the Rapture would be the most likely to believe that whatever happened to the departed, it wasn't the Rapture.

As you said, the Fundamentalist belief is that a person's actions have no bearing on whether or not they get into Heaven. The one and only determining factor is if they've truly and sincerely accepted Jesus as their saviour.

If this event were the Rapture as defined by the Fundamentalist belief system, the only people who would have disappeared would have been Christians.

Early in the first episode of the series, we see the scientist guy presenting his findings to the hearing. He clearly says that there was no discernible single link tying together the people who disappeared, including religion. It was 2% of everyone. 2% of the world's Christians and 2% of the world's atheists. 2% of the world's Muslims, Hindus, Satanists, etc.

That is completely contradictory to the Fundamentalist belief of what will happen during the Rapture.
Right. I don't disagree with his assertion that this was not The Rapture, and the reasons you gave -- the fact that not only Christians were taken -- are exactly correct. I'm saying that his reasoning on the show -- by which I mean, he's running around pointing out all the bad things some of the departed had done -- is at odds with Fundamentalist teachings.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #54
Test

Quote:
And the fact that you apparently can't see that not everybody would answer 120 "yes" boggles my mind.
I never said everyone would answer 120 yes
Old 08-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #55
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
120 is if the departed was religious. 121 is if the person being interviewed thinks the departed is in a better place.

Just because my departed relative is religious and I answer "yes" to 120, doesn't mean I, not religious, think they're in a better place.
That's true, this was before when I thought the 120 question was are you a religious person. Busyba clarified that 120 is actually asking about the departed not the one being questioned.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:11 AM   #56
Ment

Watched the end scene with Nora and the relative again. Question 121 had a yes/no and then a 'please explain below' under it which would immediately allow the questioner to interject with leading clarifications to influence the resulting answer explaining how Nora's surveys always had yes to 121.

Then I looked at Question 122 'In your opinion was the departed a racist' lol that is messed up.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #57
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Have they mentioned what's in it for the person answering the questionnaire? Is this a government sponsored thing that these people are required to answer? If someone came to me with a very personal 120+ question questionnaire, I'd tell them to go take a flying leap and the heck out of my house!!
Old 08-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #58
Ment

They get money from a fund kind of like the 9/11 family survivors.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #59
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
They get money from a fund kind of like the 9/11 family survivors.
Thanks for the clarification. I've been trying to figure out what would compel these people sit there and bring up all this pent up emotion and answer dozens of questions. I guess money will help convince some people.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #60
innocentfreak

Quote:
I believe the show's creator has explicitly said that they do not intend to ever explain what caused the departure. The show is more about the 98% of the leftover people still on earth and how they react to the aftermath of this strange event.
I hate shows that never explain though so it looks like this series will be a skip for me.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote