TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
RoamioORoamio

Cool Roamio & Mini & OTA: Getting it All to Work

First of all, thanks in advance for some direction on this.

New to TIVO, dropped DTV and went OTA with one of those OTA antennas that looks like a stingray. OTA signal is great for the basics - ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX here in Phoenix. Have internet through Centurylink. Picked up a Roamio (4-tuner, not the Plus) and a Mini.

The Ideal Setup: Roamio in the Family Room, Mini in the Bedroom, Centurylink Modem and Router in the Office.

The Issue: In order to successfully pair the Mini to the Roamio I need to run an ethernet cord from the modem (or router) to the Roamio. Well, I can't do that. There's no phone jack in the family room (where the Roamio is). There's also no phone jack in the bedroom to run to the Mini.

There are, however, coax outlets in all three rooms - family, office and bedroom. Is MoCA an option when using OTA? If so, how would I diagram that set up?

Note: I have TRIED using the ZyXEL Powerline - one connected to the modem, one connected to the Mini...and the Roamio just connecting wirelessly and that works SOMETIMES. Just need a much more reliable ALL THE TIME kind of fix.

Again, thanks for the help - looking forward to getting all set up.

Matt
RoamioORoamio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:44 AM   #2
Chuckmeister

I'm going to assume that the coax is from when you had directv, yes can use that to setup MoCA.
You will need 2 MoCA adapters, one at the router from your DSL modem and one at the Roamio.
Your layout will look something like this:

DSL modem<->Router<->MoCA Adapter<->Coax<->MoCA Adapter<->Roamio
Mini<--------------------------------------^

The Mini doesn't need a MoCA Adapter, it's already built in.
Running both the Roamio and Mini on it's own router/sub-net has fewer issues.
If you are using the old directv coax, disconnect the wiring that runs up to the dish...even though you don't have service the LNB's on the dish are still receiving the signal from the sats and feeding into the coax. Again fewer issues.

Tivo Roamio (Upgraded to 3TB)
Tivo Mini
Tivo Premiere4
Networked to 3 HDTV's for a True Sports Watching Experience

Last edited by Chuckmeister : 08-06-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Chuckmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
lefsaeater

I have a similar setup where I'm using a OTA-only Roamio and a Mini. I can get a hard-wired Ethernet connection to the Roamio, however not to the Mini. So my understanding now is that I would still need 1 MoCA adapter that I would need to connect to my router and then connect via the existing coax in my house, correct?

I should also mention, I have a DSL type connection, so no cable-modem as in many of the MoCA diagrams on the Tivo site. My router sits in my office, which also has a coax outlet, as does the room where the Mini will sit.

So, I'm thinking I connect my Roamio with a hard-wired Ethernet cable connected to my router. Then, using a MoCA adapter, connect the adapter to my router, and to the coax connection in my office. The Mini also would connect to the coax in the house and should detect a MoCA connection, right? Having a hard time getting my head around this but starting to come into focus!

Thanks!
lefsaeater is offline   Reply With Quote