TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Longmire 8/4/14 "Ashes to Ashes"

Wow, that's two I didn't see coming...Branch Sr being the Evil Mastermind behind everything, and Branch Sr (apparently) murdering Branch (although we didn't actually see it, and this show has a history of that kind of misdirection).

Is it 2015 yet?
Old 08-04-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
thalador

Oh my gawd! I did not see that coming at all. I am still trying to wrap my head around all of this.
thalador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:15 AM   #3
RonDawg

Yeah the revelation came way out of left field. However I don't think just yet that Branch is dead, or was even shot by his father. My guess for next season's opener:

Spoiler:
Connally Sr. was killed by Branch himself.

RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:05 AM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
Yeah the revelation came way out of left field.
Although not entirely...I mean, it was completely unexpected, but in character for both men. Sr. has always been portrayed as a ruthless dick with no regard for the law or what's right when it gets in the way of what he wants, and Jr. has been portrayed as a dogged investigator who will never stop digging until he gets his answers. (And I'm not just thinking about David Ridges...there were any number of times when he'd be sitting at his desk, scowling at documents, and eventually come up with the key to the case.)

So I think it was the best kind of surprise, one that, well, surprises, but then when you think about it, it makes sense.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
BrandonRe

Quote:
Yeah the revelation came way out of left field. However I don't think just yet that Branch is dead, or was even shot by his father. My guess for next season's opener:

Spoiler:
Connally Sr. was killed by Branch himself.
I agree with this.
Spoiler:
They made a point of showing Branch's gun being ready to shoot, and he obviously had an idea where this conversation was going to lead. However, as Daddy started to confess, I thought they were goin to have him commit suicide in front of Branch.

BrandonRe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonRe View Post
I agree with this.
Spoiler:
They made a point of showing Branch's gun being ready to shoot, and he obviously had an idea where this conversation was going to lead. However, as Daddy started to confess, I thought they were goin to have him commit suicide in front of Branch.
Maybe he did, although his statement that he still had time to "make another son" suggested he was getting rid of his old one.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonRe View Post
I agree with this.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The reason I think Branch is the one who survived is because of the footage of the shotgun shells being ejected after the trigger was pulled. They were both using break-action shotguns, and not semi-automatics, so these shells were ejected manually, by the survivor of the gunfight.

You see the spent shells falling among the other shells they had already expended. However, both had been standing in the same spot (at different times) when shooting at the clay pigeons. That's where Branch was standing when you heard that last shot go off. There should have been no expended shell casings where Sr. was seated and presumably fired at Branch.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Although not entirely...I mean, it was completely unexpected, but in character for both men. Sr. has always been portrayed as a ruthless dick with no regard for the law or what's right when it gets in the way of what he wants, and Jr. has been portrayed as a dogged investigator who will never stop digging until he gets his answers. (And I'm not just thinking about David Ridges...there were any number of times when he'd be sitting at his desk, scowling at documents, and eventually come up with the key to the case.)

So I think it was the best kind of surprise, one that, well, surprises, but then when you think about it, it makes sense.
Ruthless yes. Murderer...that I did not expect at all. There were far more likely suspects like Malachi, who had a real axe to grind with Walt. Murdering someone's wife so your son can become Sheriff seems very outlandish and complicated. It would be easier and simpler to murder Walt instead.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
mr.unnatural

I was wondering how they were going to prolong the series after seemingly wrapping up the case regarding the death of Walt's wife. This was a tantalizing end to another quality season of Longmire.

I don't usually speculate on these types of cliffhangers because I tend to be wrong more than right. Clearly, someone fired their shotgun, but we don't know who or where it was aimed. Sr. left us with the impression that Branch was a loose end that needed to be tied up and he made it sound like Branch was expendable. Branch killing Sr. would have wrapped things up too quickly so my money's on Branch taking the blast. Then again, that's probably far too obvious to be what actually happened. I guess we won't know for sure until next season.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Although I'm not sure how quickly it would have wrapped things up. Longmire thinks Jacob had his wife murdered. If Branch survives (which I suspect is the case), it's only his word that his Dad is the actual guilty party. And Branch's word isn't very good these days, plus the claim would seem awfully self-serving ("Uh, yeah, the rich guy I just killed whose vast estate I will now inherit was a BAD guy, yeah, he KILLED WALT'S WIFE, yeah, THAT'S the ticket!").

Poor Jacob...he's a dirty crook, and his actions contributed to her death, but he probably didn't know it was going to happen ("he gave me the services of one of his warriors, no questions asked"). But I suspect he will suffer terribly for one of the few crimes he did not commit, before the truth comes out. In which case poor Walt, for making a dirty crook into a martyr.

And on Branch being shot, that's how last season ended. I suspect they don't want to start a tradition of Branch being shot at the end of every season ("They killed Branch! YOU BASTARDS!").
Old 08-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
mr.unnatural

Who shot Jr?
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
SeanC
ECT

I don't consider it any more likely than SR shot Branch or Branch shot SR, but it is possible that while a shotgun went off no one was shot. They were both in close proximity to one another, the person being shot at could have grabbed the barrel and pushed it away from their body.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #13
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
If Branch survives (which I suspect is the case), it's only his word that his Dad is the actual guilty party. And Branch's word isn't very good these days, plus the claim would seem awfully self-serving ("Uh, yeah, the rich guy I just killed whose vast estate I will now inherit was a BAD guy, yeah, he KILLED WALT'S WIFE, yeah, THAT'S the ticket!").
Except there was that payment for supposed "lumber" that Branch came across. If there was an investigation, they'll want to know where that $50k (or whatever the figure was) worth of building materials went, and where are the building permits for that.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Except there was that payment for supposed "lumber" that Branch came across. If there was an investigation, they'll want to know where that $50k (or whatever the figure was) worth of building materials went, and where are the building permits for that.
Right, but that just points to corruption. And I doubt Sr. left behind records of what specifically he was bribing Jacob for...