TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
SeanC
ECT
 
SeanC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Someplace
Posts: 9,010
The Last Ship "SOS" (8/3/14)

Wow, guess this show is really falling off if I'm starting this now.

So I'm assuming I missed something, but after they killed the guys on one of the other small craft why couldn't they use that boat? Did they talk about it sinking as well?
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
squint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 747
I wondered the same thing but I think after the last bad guy died the boat didn't stop but just kept going. I don't know if it had an outboard motor but you would think those things would have a dead man's switch.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
SeanC
ECT
 
SeanC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Someplace
Posts: 9,010
I seem to remember seeing the back of those russian craft and that they had dual outboard, what is the significance of outboard over inboard?
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
RGM1138
I wanna Rock
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 3,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I seem to remember seeing the back of those russian craft and that they had dual outboard, what is the significance of outboard over inboard?
Well, in this instance, an inboard would increase the possibility that the boat had more sophisticated controls, like a dead man's switch. Although, it doesn't necessarily make it more likely.

I was noticing that the Rooskies on that chopper seemed to be wearing helmets very similar to what American crews would wear. Did they steal a US helicopter, or was the production trying to save money by reusing costumes as necessary?
__________________
Bob

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College

Last edited by RGM1138 : 08-04-2014 at 10:45 AM.
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
SoBelle0
What's next?
 
SoBelle0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 5,680
Mine cut off - was this the season finale?

Did anything interesting happen after the helicopter found them? Last I saw they were waving their hands around to get the helicopter's attention.


Oh - seems I was working too long and didn't refresh the page before posting. So, was that a Russian helicopter? and our helicopter was shining a light on the raft? I kind of wondered if it might be... but, then figured that was too easy - so there must be some other twist.
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
MrGreg
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 411
Hmm, I'm guessing a Russian helo would sound different to a navy helo, and the captain would be able to tell the difference. But maybe after being in the water that long, he wouldn't notice (or would still be willing to be rescued by them).
MrGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
RGM1138
I wanna Rock
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 3,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBelle0 View Post
Mine cut off - was this the season finale?

Did anything interesting happen after the helicopter found them? Last I saw they were waving their hands around to get the helicopter's attention.


Oh - seems I was working too long and didn't refresh the page before posting. So, was that a Russian helicopter? and our helicopter was shining a light on the raft? I kind of wondered if it might be... but, then figured that was too easy - so there must be some other twist.
No, it was the old "Silence of the Lambs" fakeout.

Just in case:
Spoiler:
Where you see an FBI agent ringing the buzzer at a house, and we see Clarice trapped in the basement. But as it turns out, they are two different houses. American helicopter crew rescued two other people.

__________________
Bob

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #8
DeDondeEs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 14,750
That will teach them to take the helicopter out! If timeliness was an issue, they should have just sent the helicopter out in the first place with a small crew to extract the woman from the fishing boat.

Then they just take some woman off of a boat full of dead people and let her onto the ship with no quarantine procedures whatsoever.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
SoBelle0
What's next?
 
SoBelle0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 5,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
No, it was the old "Silence of the Lambs" fakeout.

Just in case:
Spoiler:
Where you see an FBI agent ringing the buzzer at a house, and we see Clarice trapped in the basement. But as it turns out, they are two different houses. American helicopter crew rescued two other people.
Nice! Thanks for the explanation.
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
squint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 747
I suppose they ran their rapidtest for the virus off camera but in previous episodes they questioned its effectiveness.

I also don't get why they left their beacons behind. Couldn't they just have left them off unless they needed rescue?
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
DeDondeEs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 14,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
I also don't get why they left their beacons behind. Couldn't they just have left them off unless they needed rescue?
Well that is assuming they were smart enough to not send the captain of the ship on a recovery mission.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
Shakhari
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 758
Serves Chandler right for going on the mission in the first place. Someone needs to slap him upside the head and remind him he's not Captain Kirk.
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #13
RGM1138
I wanna Rock
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 3,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBelle0 View Post
Nice! Thanks for the explanation.
No problem.
__________________
Bob

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #14
RGM1138
I wanna Rock
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 3,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
Serves Chandler right for going on the mission in the first place. Someone needs to slap him upside the head and remind him he's not Captain Kirk.
No, he is Captain Kirk. That's why he keeps going on away missions. They just don't have a big enough crew to allow for red shirts.



__________________
Bob

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #15
Shakhari
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
No, he is Captain Kirk. That's why he keeps going on away missions. They just don't have a big enough crew to allow for red shirts.


I believe they prefer to be called "marines"
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
So I'm assuming I missed something, but after they killed the guys on one of the other small craft why couldn't they use that boat? Did they talk about it sinking as well?
I thought after the second guy was killed, the third cut and run...
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #17
squint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 747
Alright, I re-watched two parts of the episode just to make sure my memory wasn't crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
American helicopter crew rescued two other people.
It's not clear what they saw in the water but it did look like two dead bodies. They never showed the American helicopter pulling anybody or anything out of the water though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I thought after the second guy was killed, the third cut and run...
In that scene, there were only two men remaining on the Russian Zodiac. One at a console amidships and one manning the bow gun. When Tex opened up on them with their bow gun, the two Russians are hit. The one at the controls was the last to be hit and he slumped over the console after which the boat veered off course.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
In that scene, there were only two men remaining on the Russian Zodiac. One at a console amidships and one manning the bow gun. When Tex opened up on them with their bow gun, the two Russians are hit. The one at the controls was the last to be hit and he slumped over the console after which the boat veered off course.
There were three to begin with; one was killed earlier. My impression (without re-watching) is that when the second guy was killed, the third ducked down over the controls and steered the boat away.

But it could have been your way too.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #19
RGM1138
I wanna Rock
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 3,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
Alright, I re-watched two parts of the episode just to make sure my memory wasn't crazy.

It's not clear what they saw in the water but it did look like two dead bodies. They never showed the American helicopter pulling anybody or anything out of the water though.
Okay, but salient point is America chopper was not hovering over Kirk and Tex, but at some other location.

I'm handicapped by not having access to my DVR.
__________________
Bob

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #20
RGM1138
I wanna Rock
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 3,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
I believe they prefer to be called "marines"
You are correct.
__________________
Bob

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #21
eddyj
Registered User
 
eddyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 48,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
There were three to begin with; one was killed earlier. My impression (without re-watching) is that when the second guy was killed, the third ducked down over the controls and steered the boat away. But it could have been your way too.
You are both pretty. I mean, correct. I thought he was hit AND veered away, since someone said something about two Russian boats at the octopus, after that scene.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
You are both pretty.
Aw, that's so sweet!
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #23
stellie93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
Then they just take some woman off of a boat full of dead people and let her onto the ship with no quarantine procedures whatsoever.
If the woman was exposed on her boat and was immune, wouldn't she be a carrier?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #24
vertigo235
Registered User
 
vertigo235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 12,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
If the woman was exposed on her boat and was immune, wouldn't she be a carrier?
I thought the same thing, I was surprised that they were standing there talking to her without masks at the end.

I suppose it's possible she might have eradicated the virus and was not contagious, but it's just as possible that she is a carrier.
__________________
vertigo235 xbox live and PSN ID = IamVertigo


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:10 AM   #25
eddyj
Registered User
 
eddyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 48,273
It is unclear whether someone that is immune can carry/spread the virus, but she certainly should not have bee considered "safe" as the default!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #26
squint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 747
What about the Russian scientist? He appears to be an immune carrier.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:31 AM   #27
eddyj
Registered User
 
eddyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 48,273
Don't think he is Russian (but can't remember where he was in the flashback scene). We don't know he is a carrier, is he kept in that lab because he is contagious or because he is a prisoner?

Assuming you mean the guy in the Russian ship, rather than the Russian guy in the American ship.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #28
SeanC
ECT
 
SeanC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Someplace
Posts: 9,010
He UVed his outgoing food tray, so I thought the implication was that the bug (or some bug anyway) is inside his containment cell.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:49 AM   #29
vertigo235
Registered User
 
vertigo235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 12,984
His flashback scenes were in Norway, and based on what our scientist was saying we're to believe that he mutated the virus and made it worse.
__________________
vertigo235 xbox live and PSN ID = IamVertigo


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #30
eddyj
Registered User
 
eddyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 48,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
He UVed his outgoing food tray, so I thought the implication was that the bug (or some bug anyway) is inside his containment cell.
Right, I think they are being paranoid and making sure the lab stays contained. Something the Americans don't seem to be doing very well.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |