TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
whitson77
Director Level

The Killing Season Three Finale - spoilers

It was great for an hour and 10 minutes. Then it went off the rails. Just awful at the end. Linden became a complete moron. The writing became inexcusably bad. I just could not believe the thud they ended what should have been a good season with...
whitson77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
GoPackGo

Season Three.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
whitson77
Director Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
Season Three.
You are right. Sorry I think of the first two as one season, even though it was clearly two seasons.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
wprager

Yeah, S2 ending was very strong. I didn't mind S1's either, as I didn't really give a crap that they didn't resolve the mystery -- the characters (writing and acting) was worth it for another season.

This one, not so much. And so much left unresolved. My recording went "Bang!" then cut to commercial, then after the ads I got credits.

As for Linden becoming a "complete moron", what are you talking about? She just found out that the guy she's known for years, her former partner, now her superior, a man she admired in a professional way as well a personal way, was the murderer of dozens of young girls. I think throwing up was fairly appropriate. And while the case was solved, there was still the question of Adrian's safety.

How was she a moron? I almost wished he would have turned to her and said, "In your defence, I didn't really leave much evidence for you to follow." But that is a knock against the writing. What evidence did we have? Zero. Other than the obvious one that everyone probably suspected it was a cop and, of course, Holder's partner was the obvious choice (so, clearly, it couldn't be him). The only other choice was the other "name" actor playing a cop. But other than TV-crime-show "evidence", what evidence was given to us, the viewers?

Mystery is my favorite genre (when well done). This was excellent drama but, as mysteries go, this one left me wanting.

Maybe it's because I just watched "Six Minute" the night before, and that set my expectations sky high?
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
whitson77
Director Level

The whole getting in the car was ridiculous. We already did this a few episodes back with the youth guy, just this time the roles were reversed. It was just so ridiculous. "Get in the car, or you will never see him again."

Cuff him, and take him in. Also, by shooting him she killed any chance to know how many others he murdered. It was just so poorly written.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitson77 View Post
The whole getting in the car was ridiculous. We already did this a few episodes back with the youth guy, just this time the roles were reversed. It was just so ridiculous. "Get in the car, or you will never see him again."
^^ this. It felt out of character to me. She should have cuffed him and let the authorities sort it out. There was just too much that could have and should have gone wrong getting into the car with him.

At one point she gets out of the car and pukes in the ditch. Could her boss not have just driven away at that time? Could he not have wrestled the gun away from her numerous times while she was emotionally distraught?

She wasn't the only one acting foolishly. Rather than alert his superiors, Holder drives off to the cabin on his own. I kept saying to myself, "why don't the two of your *tell somebody* what's going on?" At best Holder's partner knew something was up, but it wasn't clear to me how much was explained to him. At least he was off doing the real police work, looking for the kid.

Then there was Holder's I'll-use-a-bomb-threat-to-get-my-partner-to-show-up-and-prove-my-innocence plan. Silly. Then somehow despite the IA investigators detaining him, he still manages to get the cabin around the same time that Linden does.

I expected better from this show.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
whitson77
Director Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
^^ this. It felt out of character to me. She should have cuffed him and let the authorities sort it out. There was just too much that could have and should have gone wrong getting into the car with him.

At one point she gets out of the car and pukes in the ditch. Could her boss not have just driven away at that time? Could he not have wrestled the gun away from her numerous times while she was emotionally distraught?

She wasn't the only one acting foolishly. Rather than alert his superiors, Holder drives off to the cabin on his own. I kept saying to myself, "why don't the two of your *tell somebody* what's going on?" At best Holder's partner knew something was up, but it wasn't clear to me how much was explained to him. At least he was off doing the real police work, looking for the kid.

Then there was Holder's I'll-use-a-bomb-threat-to-get-my-partner-to-show-up-and-prove-my-innocence plan. Silly. Then somehow despite the IA investigators detaining him, he still manages to get the cabin around the same time that Linden does.

I expected better from this show.
Agreed with this 100%
Old 08-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
DeDondeEs

Doh! I thought this was about Season 2, so I did the same thing I did with all old threads (or what I think are old threads), scrolled to the bottom to see what updates there are, spoiled for me.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

I liked it. Didn't love it. Could it have been better? Yes. But you've got to give them credit for ending it the way they did with Linden. That took some guts. And if they get a Season 4 how will the resolve that ending.

I had more of a problem with the ring. It was on display at the police station on the board for all that time and yet....

Spoiler:
The daughter is still allowed to wear it? Maybe Skinner felt Linden would never see it...

And Linden holding the gun on Skinner outside his house, the daughter never looks outside to see if her Dad was still there?

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
smbaker

Did we ever figure out definitively what happened to Callie (or callee or Cayleigh, or whatever her name was)? It seemed pretty well implied by the ending, but I wasn't completely sure.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
Did we ever figure out definitively what happened to Callie (or callee or Cayleigh, or whatever her name was)? It seemed pretty well implied by the ending, but I wasn't completely sure.
Spoiler:
I believe in the car Linden asks him about her and he can't remember her name and says it doesn't matter. But since his daughter had her ring I think its safe to assume that he killed her too.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
Old 08-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
whitson77
Director Level

Just an FYI I reported this thread to the mods to get the title of thread changed. Very sorry for the Season # error!

ETA: And they fixed it! Thanks Mods!
Old 08-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
whitson77
Director Level

My guess is the LT did take Callie to the lake house where a lot more girls are going to be found in the water.

I also want to know what is the total numbers of girls who were killed?

And why did the kid leave the back door open and make it seem like someone came and got him?
Old 08-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
wprager

Agree on the ring. I have never heard of a serial killer who collects trophies give one to his daughter so casually.

He *wanted* to be caught -- that's the only thing that makes any sense. That's why he didn't try to overpower her. And in the end he wanted her to kill him --"It has to be you" or something like that.

After the S2 ending, this was definitely a disappointment for me. Assuming she didn't shoot to miss, she killed in cold blood. So either she goes to jail, or Holder has to lie for her. Or something else -- that's why I'll tune in to S4.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
cheesesteak
Meh.

I spent a good part of the last 20 minutes yelling "Shoot him in the leg!" at the tv. It's a tv show so I can understand her getting in the car and going for a long drive with him. What really got me was when Linden got in the front seat with him after she threw up. The front seat? That's dumb. I also was waiting for the old, reliable tv trope where the person holding the gun keeps getting closer to the bad guy until the bad guy knocks the gun out of the good guy's hand.

I didn't like the cold cut to commercial and the credits at the end. I would have liked some resolution to Linden shooting her boss. I also can't believe that Skinner killed 20+ girls with no evidence pointing to him until the end. But eh, these are relatively minor quibbles. I give the season 4.5 stars out of 5.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #16
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Agree what a stupid decision on Linden's part. She is smarter than that I thought so were the writers. Suicide by cop?! PLEEEASE!!!
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #17
wprager

And what's with Holder using a map to find the cabin? Did he hawk his GPS to score some meth?
Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #18
cheesesteak
Meh.

Do police phones do text? Maybe Linden could have texted Holder all the details while she was sitting in the back seat listening to Skinner drone on and on.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #19
Cainebj

well yes

but overall i thought this was a great season
- far better than the first 2.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #20
nyny523
Oy

Overall, I thought the season was excellent - in large part due to some amazing performances (Peter Skaarsgard was absolutely brilliant, and the girl who played Bullet was amazing).

I do think they dropped the ball a bit during the last hour. Some of it was very unrealistic. When she got out of the car to throw up, why wouldn't the guy try to take her gun? Or just drive away? Clearly he wanted "death by cop", but the whole thing was very clumsy, IMO. The writing - which had been SO good all season, just kind of flopped.

That being said, I would definitely watch another season. The show has always been good, and this season was even better than the last.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #21
sburnside1

We thought it was a little clumsy at the end. But some we wrote off to Lindens emotional state after seeing his daughter wearing the ring. That pretty much flipped her reality on its head.

The written directions vs GPS is easy. Its a lake house. GPS's are notoriously bad for remote areas.

We would have liked definitive closure with Callie. I know it was implied that she died, but ones gotta hope right?
sburnside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #22
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
...He *wanted* to be caught -- that's the only thing that makes any sense. That's why he didn't try to overpower her. And in the end he wanted her to kill him --"It has to be you" or something like that....
That's exactly what happened. Those calling Linden an idiot clearly didn't watch this season closely. The ending was surely shocking; and what I liked is that they didn't go the route of so many other shows that would have spared the killer. It was totally surprising to me that she offed him with the second shot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
Overall, I thought the season was excellent - in large part due to some amazing performances (Peter Skaarsgard was absolutely brilliant, and the girl who played Bullet was amazing)....
I totally agree with this. The actress playing Bullet was one of the highlights of this season. And Linden's performance this season was also off the chart IMO...
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #23
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
And Linden's performance this season was also off the chart IMO...
Yeah in that scene where Linden saw Skinner hug his daughter and she noticed the ring, I thought the way her facial expression morphed when she realized he was the killer was amazing. The change in expression was so minimal, yet so telling at the same time.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #24
brebeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
That's exactly what happened. Those calling Linden an idiot clearly didn't watch this season closely. The ending was surely shocking; and what I liked is that they didn't go the route of so many other shows that would have spared the killer. It was totally surprising to me that she offed him with the second shot...

I totally agree with this. The actress playing Bullet was one of the highlights of this season. And Linden's performance this season was also off the chart IMO...
I agree.
I think both Linden and Holder acted the way they did because both of them thought that no one would believe them if they went to the cops or others with the assertion that their boss killed all these girls. And, Holder's reaction at the end, after Linden shot for the second time, showed his concern/angre/frustration with her. He knows they'll need to figure out some way to explain what happened. I'm guessing that it's not as simple as it looks and that we'll find out out something a bit more interesting in the beginning of Season 4; at least I hope we do.

I loved this season and also agree that they put too much into the two hour finale......(or not enough, depending n how you look at it!). It could have been done better, but I'm thinking that's why I'll be watching Season 4, for sure. More characters like Bullet would be awesome!
brebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #25
sharkster

For the record, I'm one of the ones who watched S01 and then promptly quit it, so I didn't see S02, a decision which I continue not to regret. So I decided to tune in for S03 to give it another chance with a whole new case.

Over all, I think it was fairly well done. Good? Not really. The guy playing Holder seems, IMO, to be trying way too hard to be whatever it is he tries to be. Maybe it's partially me and my disdain for really poor grammar or something...Or maybe it's just that the actual character is somebody who tries too hard to be some kind of cool or, again, whatever that is.

Linden - I think the actor does a pretty good job and the character is sort of interesting.

The season finale episode kind of dragged out for me a bit. I think they could have packed more pertinent info into the episode instead of dragging it out to where it ended without more resolution as to what all he did, why, and the disposition of the remaining victims who were not yet accounted for. I can only presume that is what S04 is going to be about (?).
Well, that and what happens with her for having killed the guy. I'd have rather seen more of that in this season and figured that would have been why it was 2 hours.

For now I'll keep my SP. I don't feel like I felt after I watched S01 - in that I wanted that time back - though.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #26
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
For the record, I'm one of the ones who watched S01 and then promptly quit it, so I didn't see S02, a decision which I continue not to regret. So I decided to tune in for S03 to give it another chance with a whole new case.

Over all, I think it was fairly well done. Good? Not really. The guy playing Holder seems, IMO, to be trying way too hard to be whatever it is he tries to be. Maybe it's partially me and my disdain for really poor grammar or something...Or maybe it's just that the actual character is somebody who tries too hard to be some kind of cool or, again, whatever that is.

Linden - I think the actor does a pretty good job and the character is sort of interesting.

The season finale episode kind of dragged out for me a bit. I think they could have packed more pertinent info into the episode instead of dragging it out to where it ended without more resolution as to what all he did, why, and the disposition of the remaining victims who were not yet accounted for. I can only presume that is what S04 is going to be about (?).
Well, that and what happens with her for having killed the guy. I'd have rather seen more of that in this season and figured that would have been why it was 2 hours.

For now I'll keep my SP. I don't feel like I felt after I watched S01 - in that I wanted that time back - though.
You should do yourself a favor and watch Season 2 on Netflix. It resolves the murder and goes deeper into the relationship between the two leads and also touches on the case that was resolved in Season 3.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
Old 08-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #27
danielhart
Finnhater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Agree what a stupid decision on Linden's part. She is smarter than that I thought so were the writers. Suicide by cop?! PLEEEASE!!!
If you think about all the emotion tied up in a relationship like that - if one were to exist - her killing him makes total sense to me. He was her former partner and now boss, he was effing her, he preyed on young girls with no family ties (which is her history) and to boot she watched a guy hang for a crime he committed.

In this scenario you shoot the guy and then put a drop gun on him and move on imo. And Holder goes along with it too.
danielhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #28
sharkster

Crazywater - Thanks for the recommendation. I guess I kind of screwed up by ditching it before S02. It's been so long I should probably watch S01 again and then S02 also.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #29
sburnside1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Crazywater - Thanks for the recommendation. I guess I kind of screwed up by ditching it before S02. It's been so long I should probably watch S01 again and then S02 also.
We watched s1 &2 back to back. Didn't find the show till after s2 had aired. It was actually quick moving and had a great story. You don't notice it takes 2 seasons when you don't have to wait a year between them.
sburnside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #30
windracer
joined the 10k club

The long drive at the end bothered me too ... the finale was great up until then.

They're driving ... it gets darker and darker and Skinner keeps saying "we're almost there." How could Linden not realize that had Skinner snatched Adrian and drove him all that way to the lake house how he couldn't have made it back so quickly in order to show up at the crime scene, sic IA on Holder, etc.?

I was hoping for more wrap-up. With the show being cancelled after S2 and then revived, I figured they would put more closure into the series betting on not being renewed by AMC again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote