TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
andyf

OMG! Do I have to pad CBS already.

I get padding in the fall when NFL runs late but PGA Golf? Reckless runs over so I presume Unforgettable ran over too.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:08 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
I get padding in the fall when NFL runs late but PGA Golf? Reckless runs over so I presume Unforgettable ran over too.
It's a live event isn't it? Any shows following a live event need padding. This has always been the case. What sucks is when you don't realize there is a live event earlier that screws up the schedule. Although nowadays it is easier than ever to get a missed show.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #3
mr.unnatural

CBS and Sunday night lineups hardly ever follow the guide schedule. I learned a long time ago that if you want to record anything in the CBS Sunday night schedule you have to pad your recordings judiciously. At least Fox has enough sense to take this into account and schedule buffer programs as filler if the games end on time. CBS believe the faithful will stick around to watch whatever they want to show you after the game. I've almost stopped recording any shows on Sunday night aired on CBS because I got tired of their scheduling BS. I haven't watched 60 minutes in over 15 years and I dropped lots of other shows that switched to Sunday nights.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
CBS and Sunday night lineups hardly ever follow the guide schedule. I learned a long time ago that if you want to record anything in the CBS Sunday night schedule you have to pad your recordings judiciously. At least Fox has enough sense to take this into account and schedule buffer programs as filler if the games end on time. CBS believe the faithful will stick around to watch whatever they want to show you after the game. I've almost stopped recording any shows on Sunday night aired on CBS because I got tired of their scheduling BS. I haven't watched 60 minutes in over 15 years and I dropped lots of other shows that switched to Sunday nights.
Unfortunately, CBS is right. Ratings for their shows tend to trend up when they are delayed by the NFL and other sports. Remember, if it's delayed, sometimes it's easier to just watch whatever CBS shows you enjoy live and record the other stuff. And that's exactly what CBS wants. So for them it works. I've been railing against what CBS does for years, but from a business perspective, it works well for them.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Unfortunately, CBS is right. Ratings for their shows tend to trend up when they are delayed by the NFL and other sports. Remember, if it's delayed, sometimes it's easier to just watch whatever CBS shows you enjoy live and record the other stuff. And that's exactly what CBS wants. So for them it works. I've been railing against what CBS does for years, but from a business perspective, it works well for them.
I suspect (hope) that as DVRs become more commonplace/routine, that will stop working for them and they'll have to change their evil ways.

In the meantime, I just don't watch CBS Sunday night shows. There's already too much to watch, so they're just making it easier for me.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
reneg

CBS can notify you of overruns via email or text message. See http://www.cbs.com/eye-lerts/

reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
Bob Coxner

The actual start of the golf tournament (not the televised portion) was delayed for an hour by weather. That was what caused the problems.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
Silverman

In this day and age, why not cut off the golf and just tell people to go to CBS com where they can view it live then? That would fix the few golf nuts, I mean it is just knocking a ball into a hole, same old thing every show, and without any resistance even. Sure is dull. They ought at least let the competing golfer yell insults at the active golfer or something to add spice. "That's the wrong club, stupid.....do you inhale or exhale when you swing?"
Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I suspect (hope) that as DVRs become more commonplace/routine, that will stop working for them and they'll have to change their evil ways.

In the meantime, I just don't watch CBS Sunday night shows. There's already too much to watch, so they're just making it easier for me.
I think it's more about figuring out how to make he advertising model work with DVRs rather than them being commonplace. For the networks, I STILL think it's much more important to have your shows watched live than it it is to have them recorded (and thus increase the possibility to have ads skipped). As long as that's still the model and ratings are better on those nights where the schedule is delayed, CBS has no reason to change.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
allan
I survived the Mayan

When I tuned to 60 Min, and they were just puttering around, I went off and did something else. I don't bother to pad anything. If it's not on time, I just go to a recorded show, Netflix, or in this case, futzing around on the internet.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I think it's more about figuring out how to make he advertising model work with DVRs rather than them being commonplace. For the networks, I STILL think it's much more important to have your shows watched live than it it is to have them recorded (and thus increase the possibility to have ads skipped). As long as that's still the model and ratings are better on those nights where the schedule is delayed, CBS has no reason to change.
But if everybody uses DVRs, then everybody gets screwed by overruns, and they'll have to stop them (which other networks have already figured out how to do). Which means when DVR use hits a certain critical mass (whatever that is), the other networks are set and CBS is screwed.

I know for years and years my Dad used his DVR just for occasions when he wasn't going to be home. But by now, he uses it for everything. I suspect that as people discover the convenience of full-fledged DVR use (as opposed to glorified VHS, which seems to be where most people still are), more people will evolve their viewing habits like Dad did.

And of course we here have been talking about the impact that will have on commercial television for many years. But that's a separate issue.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverman View Post
In this day and age, why not cut off the golf and just tell people to go to CBS com where they can view it live then? That would fix the few golf nuts, I mean it is just knocking a ball into a hole, same old thing every show, and without any resistance even. Sure is dull. They ought at least let the competing golfer yell insults at the active golfer or something to add spice. "That's the wrong club, stupid.....do you inhale or exhale when you swing?"
Obviously you don't like golf. Ever hear of the Heidi game? If you haven't, look it up. Because of what happened there, networks are reluctant to leave games. Even if they take it to a cable network, where a LOT of people don't have access to them. And since it only affects half the country, they probably don't want to do it. I would also suspect that the end of the golf tourney may get better ratings than a rerun of their Sunday night shows.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
When I tuned to 60 Min, and they were just puttering around, I went off and did something else. I don't bother to pad anything. If it's not on time, I just go to a recorded show, Netflix, or in this case, futzing around on the internet.
What always bothers me is when they go to 5 minutes of commercials between the end of the sporting event (golf, football, tennis (US Open next month)). It's really frustrating.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #14
DeDondeEs

I can't believe this is still an issue with DVR's. I can see where if you need to have the guide data pushed down once a week from the satellite or something that it would make it difficult for the guide data to be changed on the fly to account for a live even going overtime. But most people's DVR's are hooked up to the internet now, there should be some way to quickly update the guide data to auto-pad a game or push back the recording of a show afterwards.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #15
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I can't believe this is still an issue with DVR's. I can see where if you need to have the guide data pushed down once a week from the satellite or something that it would make it difficult for the guide data to be changed on the fly to account for a live even going overtime. But most people's DVR's are hooked up to the internet now, there should be some way to quickly update the guide data to auto-pad a game or push back the recording of a show afterwards.
That is already being done in Europe.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/c...s_so_much.html
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes the technolgy is available but good luck getting it implemented in the US.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I'm still surprised that our DVRs have the ability to skip commercials. You'd think with so much melding between providers and carriers these days (i.e. Comcast owning NBC, and DirecTV producing their own content). I know, at least on DirecTV that OnDemand recordings used to work the same way as any other recorded show. Now they've disabled the ability to skip OnDemand shows on quite a few networks. DirecTV has also given you the ability to rewind "live" broadcasts (i.e. you can rewind a show that is being broadcast now) for some networks, but with that "rewind" you can no longer use FF or skip. So the tech is there to just disable any way to skip commercials. Once that is fully implemented, watching a recorded show will be the same as watching it "live" (with the exception of commercials that are time sensitive...a commercial for a movie premiering this Friday means a lot less if you are not watching the show until after the premiere). Once that happens, the importance of watching TV live is meaningless, and for CBS, it makes no sense to have these overruns for the purposes of trying to get you to watch their schedule live.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #18
aaronwt
HD Addict

The day they stop me from Rewinding/Fast Forwarding is the day I stop watching shows from that network. I've been time shifting my Tv watching since 1984. There is no way I would go back to being forced to wait for over 15 minutes of commercials to be run every hour.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #19
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverman View Post
In this day and age, why not cut off the golf and just tell people to go to CBS com where they can view it live then?
Decades ago, they tried cutting away from golf so 60 Minutes could start on time. CBS was bombarded with complaints - including one published by Sports Illustrated's editors ("The winner of Sunday's PGA event was...oh, we're sorry, we're out of space"). The next week, CBS announced that they were making it a point not to cut away from live sporting events - which came back to haunt them when Dan Rather walked off the CBS News set when he was told that that night's news report might be delayed by a few minutes because of a tennis match CBS was airing.

I assume CBS figures that not enough people have CBS Sports Network to make switching over to that channel an option (the way ABC occasionally moves the end of a long event to, say, ESPNews), and I can only imagine what the advertisers would say if CBS were to move coverage to CBS.com. Besides, wasn't 60 Minutes a repeat?
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #20
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The day they stop me from Rewinding/Fast Forwarding is the day I stop watching shows from that network. I've been time shifting my Tv watching since 1984. There is no way I would go back to being forced to wait for over 15 minutes of commercials to be run every hour.
And if they ALL did it?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #21
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Absolutely this! Even with a DVR, I'm finding commercials to be more annoying all the time. If I could no longer FF, I'd dump regular TV in favor of Netflix.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #22
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Decades ago, they tried cutting away from golf so 60 Minutes could start on time. CBS was bombarded with complaints - including one published by Sports Illustrated's editors ("The winner of Sunday's PGA event was...oh, we're sorry, we're out of space"). The next week, CBS announced that they were making it a point not to cut away from live sporting events - which came back to haunt them when Dan Rather walked off the CBS News set when he was told that that night's news report might be delayed by a few minutes because of a tennis match CBS was airing.

I assume CBS figures that not enough people have CBS Sports Network to make switching over to that channel an option (the way ABC occasionally moves the end of a long event to, say, ESPNews), and I can only imagine what the advertisers would say if CBS were to move coverage to CBS.com. Besides, wasn't 60 Minutes a repeat?
I know occasionally NBC has moved the end of a hockey game to NHL Sports Network, but ratings are pretty bad for hockey in general.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #23
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
CBS can notify you of overruns via email or text message. See http://www.cbs.com/eye-lerts/
Yup.

I got Eye-Elert an hour before the golf game was even scheduled to be over, and again with correct start times.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #24
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I just signed up to get them emailed to me. Out of habit I generally watch the end of the CBS NFL games to make sure it's not overrunning but this will help for days like yesterday. If I didn't start watching BB at around 8:15 I never would have realized it and padded. So I was able to watch the whole thing.

At least The Amazing Race is no longer on Sundays so I don't have to worry about that show anymore.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #25
gweempose

I missed the end of Big Brother last night because of the overrun. I immediately padded my SP an hour. I won't let that happen again.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

And if they ALL did it?
My cable bill would become a lot lighter. But then I would be paying per episode to avoid any commercial s.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #27
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
My cable bill would become a lot lighter. But then I would be paying per episode to avoid any commercial s.
Paying per episode, like buying the BD/DVD of the show? Or Netflix? I get that, but, that means you have to wait for them to be available. I guess that's ok for some folks, but for me, it would drastically change the way I watch TV. I could probably do it if it weren't for sports.

The thing is, I'd just do what I used to always do during commercials, Go potty and grab some food during commercials, or read a book, or play games on my Nexus. Stuff like that. These days its not the commercials that bother me as much as the extended time it takes to watch each show because of them.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #28
brianric

Quote:
This.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #29
brianric

Quote:
And if they ALL did it?
I'd be watching my collection of Blu-Ray movies.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #30
JMikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post

Interesting. I wonder if they use the sign-up info to send you advertising of some sort?
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote