Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Outlander Full Season 1 thread spoilers within

Episode 101: "Sassenach"

I watched episode one on starz.com, no subscription needed.

The Druids at Dawn were beautiful.
This Jamie will do quite nicely
I did not care for book Frank at all but show Frank was fine.
A bit more sex than I was expecting (especially that table top!) but I'm not complaining in the least- it bodes well for a few key future scenes I am very much looking forward to

I loved the scenery and am SO happy to see that it was truly filmed in Scotland- that was simply gorgeous.
Makes all the difference, IMO.

Now I have to decide whether or not to get Starz
Old 08-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks for starting this!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have been a fan of the books for 20 or so years.

I am so happy with how they filmed and the actor choices.

There was a lot of "hunh, he's too small" going on about Sam Heughan when stills were shown and such and yet, he does verra nicely indeed.

I really liked the integrity between the book and the show. The actors are saying what the characters said in the book. To hear it now is amazing. And that said, there were some lines that were not in the books but fit quite perfectly into the scenes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
JohnB1000

As I mentioned in the other thread. I just finished the first book, which I mostly enjoyed, the first episode if very true to the book but did zero to draw in the casual viewer or a person who is not already a fan. It spent a long time on the setup and without more knowledge of what is to come I can see a lot of people giving up.

This should be a worry because less viewers reduced the likelihood of future seasons.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
Peter000

That was about the slowest moving drama I've ever watched. Even the action scenes seemed slow.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I was not impressed by the first episode. The first half in the 1940s was especially boring. The 1700s was definitely more interesting. I will give it a couple more episodes.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #7
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I was not impressed by the first episode. The first half in the 1940s was especially boring. The 1700s was definitely more interesting. I will give it a couple more episodes.
Hang with it. The 1940's stuff was to establish the back story and character of Claire. I know in the book the rest is all 1700s time but I believe in the show they will do some more jumping back and forth but I don't know how much.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
eddyj

It was very slow. At some point I looked at the time remaining and was shocked at how much of the hour was left. I enjoyed it, but I have read the book. I am not sure how much it would draw someone not already familiar with the books (maybe that is why they had all the sex!)

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
As I mentioned in the other thread. I just finished the first book, which I mostly enjoyed, the first episode if very true to the book but did zero to draw in the casual viewer or a person who is not already a fan. It spent a long time on the setup and without more knowledge of what is to come I can see a lot of people giving up.

This should be a worry because less viewers reduced the likelihood of future seasons.
I agree. My wife has read all of the books. I haven't and know very little about it. I thought the pre-jump part took a really, really long time. She didn't jump back until 41 minutes in. Since we all knew that was happening it seemed to take forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Hang with it. The 1940's stuff was to establish the back story and character of Claire. I know in the book the rest is all 1700s time but I believe in the show they will do some more jumping back and forth but I don't know how much.
Was it the 1940's? I thought it was right after World War I. Was it after World War II?

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
Was it the 1940's? I thought it was right after World War I. Was it after World War II?
From everything I've seen it's WWII, although it sure looks like WWI costumes to me!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
From everything I've seen it's WWII, although it sure looks like WWI costumes to me!
Wikipedia says World War II. The costumes looked like WWI to me, too. I also thought it was weird that she kept referring to it as "the great wary" and never the 2nd world war. It sounded like she only knew about one world war.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #12
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I too wondered if it was WWI. I even triple checked the show's description and it did say WWII.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #13
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I too wondered if it was WWI. I even triple checked the show's description and it did say WWII.
It was the army helmets that looked WWI-ish to me.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #14
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post

That was a big part of it for me too.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #15
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
She travels from 1946 to 1743 - 200 years back.

Could the costume issues be because they are English not American?

Last edited by betts4 : 08-05-2014 at 04:49 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:47 AM   #16
AeneaGames

Quote:

Those were used from end of WW1 until end of WW2. In 1944 they had a new design but not all British soldiers had them when the war ended.
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
mr.unnatural

I was totally unfamiliar with the books so I had no idea what to expect from this series. I just watched the first episode today and I was thoroughly impressed. The pace of the story may be slow, but it fits. I think if they tried to push it to a faster pace it would ruin the mood.

I fully expected some nudity and sex since it was on Starz, but I thought it was tastefully done and not long and drawn out like on most of their other series. I think I might actually be able to coerce the wife into watching this one. Really enjoying it so far.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #18
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I was totally unfamiliar with the books so I had no idea what to expect from this series. I just watched the first episode today and I was thoroughly impressed. The pace of the story may be slow, but it fits. I think if they tried to push it to a faster pace it would ruin the mood.

I fully expected some nudity and sex since it was on Starz, but I thought it was tastefully done and not long and drawn out like on most of their other series. I think I might actually be able to coerce the wife into watching this one. Really enjoying it so far.
There is more blatant nudity coming up (no pun intended). One interview had the actors talking about 'modesty patches' and how they didn't really stay on very well.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #19
mr.unnatural

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to rethink whether to get my wife involved with the show because she tends to bolt at excess nudity and anything irreverent.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #20
Bob Coxner

Quote:

Coerce the wife? This series (and books) is basically high quality Harlequin romance/bodice ripper. Women are by far the target demographic.

For the younger folk among us: :-)

bodice ripper

An historical romance where the heroine has lots of non-consensual sex, which becomes consensual. The book needs to have a gaudy cover with a woman with an extraordinarily long neck, heaving bosoms, and flowing hair, and a brooding man.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #21
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Coerce the wife? This series (and books) is basically high quality Harlequin romance/bodice ripper. Women are by far the target demographic.

bodice ripper

An historical romance where the heroine has lots of non-consensual sex, which becomes consensual. The book needs to have a gaudy cover with a woman with an extraordinarily long neck, heaving bosoms, and flowing hair, and a brooding man.

Wow, I don't see it that way at all.

I view it as historical drama (which I like) + time travel aspects (which I like) + romance stuff thrown in to attract a certain demographic (I am indifferent).
Old 08-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #22
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I will have to rethink whether to get my wife involved with the show because she tends to bolt at excess nudity and anything irreverent.
I think it's mostly like Game of Thrones sex. Or actually a bit less graphic. You might try her on the first two episodes and see what happens. I know there isn't going to be wild sex in every episode because there just isn't in every chapter of the book.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #23
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Watched episode 1, and although it was beautifully filmed I probably won't continue. I just have too much to watch already.

I had read the first book, and liked it (but not LOVED it). But this episode didn't hook me enough to move it higher in my priority list.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #24
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I see it as historical fiction with bonus fantasy and romance.
Having read many "bodice rippers" I can assure you they are never as well written as this series of books, nor nearly as educational. I remember spending hours trying to get the House of Stuart and how it all related to France straight in my head while reading this.
Never mind all the Scottish stuff.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #25
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post

You clearly do not know my wife. We're also not as young as we used to be.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #26
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
You clearly do not know my wife. We're also not as young as we used to be.
She might just change her mind after a few minutes of ogling watching Jamie Fraser and that damn kilt...
Old 08-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #27
mr.unnatural

Quote:
She might just change her mind after a few minutes of ogling watching Jamie Fraser and that damn kilt...
We're talking about a woman who gets up in the middle of the night to go to church. I have a hard time getting her to watch any TV with me because she'll get offended at the drop of a hat. The minute there's any nudity or sex she just gets up and leaves the room and refuses to watch any further episodes of whatever show we were watching. The same goes true for anything irreverent or even slightly pro-Obama or politically minded to the left.

Once I heard there was going to be more nudity coming I deleted the episoide after watching it. There's no point in getting her involved in a show she'll stop watching halfway through the first episode.

I was actually shocked to hear her laugh when I showed her an episode of Moone Boy. That only lasted until the scene where Martin's best friend was in a horse-drawn cart with the town priest and they got stuck in the middle of the St. Patrick's Day parade. The kid was an alter boy and started tossing the host wafers to the crowd, which got my wife extremely upset.

I honestly think at times that my wife was abducted by aliens and had her sense of humor surgically removed.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #28
Bob Coxner

Quote:
I was actually shocked to hear her laugh when I showed her an episode of Moone Boy. That only lasted until the scene where Martin's best friend was in a horse-drawn cart with the town priest and they got stuck in the middle of the St. Patrick's Day parade. The kid was an alter boy and started tossing the host wafers to the crowd, which got my wife extremely upset.

I honestly think at times that my wife was abducted by aliens and had her sense of humor surgically removed.
I'm thinking that Father Ted may not be her cup of tea either. :-)
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #29
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:

Sorry to hear- hopefully she has other attributes to make up for all this

Last edited by Cearbhaill : 08-07-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Cearbhaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #30
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Sorry to hear- hopefully she has other attributes to make up for all this
She does. She's a great mother and loving grandmother. She's also a diehard Catholic, which explains the lack of a sense of humor and ultra conservative political views. Unfortunately, she has some misguided notion that she can't be human along with the rest of it and that she has to follow some strict guidelines reserved mostly for nuns and saints.