TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
photokev

Does the DirecTV (THR22) Tivo still has this type of side-by-side channel guide

Can someone please tell me if the new DirecTV (THR22) Tivo still has this type of side-by-side channel guide as an option?

I have been using the DirecTV brand receivers (HR23 sh*tbox) since my old TiVo HD's became obsolete several years ago and I just hate them. We record a fraction of the movies that we used to because their channel guide sucks and because they intermingle the premium channel movie listings within a sea of PPV programming. I hate how these greedy a'holes constantly try to jam more paid services down their subscribers throats.

I have been thinking about their Genie DVR but I am guessing this is just their same crappy interface that I am using now with a faster processor. I could care less about recording six shows at one time or watching shows in different rooms. I simply want a better channel guide and the ability to hide all their PPV crap.
photokev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, it does. It's almost exactly in use like an HR10. So now you'd get ads in the menus, just like other TiVos.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
photokev

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please explain what you mean by "ads in menus"?

Can you prevent movie search results from showing PPV content?

I have not kept up with the modern (non-DTV) version on Tivo. Has DirecTV crippled the GUI on thier version in any way or is it the same as other modern Tivos?

If I purchase a new THR22 on eBay do you know if DirecTV will activate it without any hassles?

Thanks.
photokev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
Diana Collins

The software on the THR22 is basically the same as the software that was on the HR10, which was basically the same as the Series 2 DirecTIVos. A few standard TiVo features are crippled, most notably multi-room viewing. Current generation Series 5 TiVos (the Roamio line) have a number of new features (like built-in Netflix and Hulu apps) that are not available from DirecTV.

Re an eBay box, if the box is truly new, then you should be able to activate it. You could ask the seller for the RID and confirm with DirecTV that you can activate it.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:59 AM   #5
Edmund
Remote Czar

Can't you get a similar list of programs for certain channel on the hr23 by pressing guide, cursor to the far left until you highlight the channel name and press info? I haven't had Directv for two years.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:36 AM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
You can get a guide of a single channel on the HRxx series, but it isn't the same as the TiVo. As Diana and I said, the THR22 software is basically that of the HR10, but with a few networking features enabled. As with TiVos, you get ads in the regular menus (not in the guide). You can remove PPV channels from "channels I receive" and they won't show up in searches. On Demand doesn't work, even though it is supposed to.

My own opinion is that the THR22 is only for those who are married to the TiVo UI (like my wife). In pretty much most other respects, the HR44 Genie is a better DVR. (I have both.) Note that you will pay $60/year extra for the privilege of the THR22.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:34 AM   #7
Edmund
Remote Czar

When I had to give up Directv because of a move, I had the thr22. Sent it and HR24 back to Directv. Still own two R22's, even after two years I can still watch the programs on them.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote