TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
TurboRay

Smile New Member with Comcast Question

First off, I'm OLD - so please be "gentle". I decided to "take the plunge" and I purchased a new Roamio Basic receiver, Motorola SB6141 cable modem and an Ooma Telo. I'll be notifying my long-time Dishnet & AT&T service providers next week that their services are no longer needed (I may even suggest rectal insertion, lol).

My question is regarding programming from Comcast, which is the only cable provider in my area <sigh>. Based on their TV channel lineup, I have decided that I "need" their 220+ lineup, which leaves me with two "Double Play" choices:
  1. "Digital Preferred TV & Performance Internet" @ 79.99 (promo)
  2. "Preferred Sureprice Double Play" @ $89.99 (promo)
The more expensive option includes "X1" - which I THOUGHT was merely a hardware upgrade to their whatup DVR (which I won't need), along with "Blast!" internet with download speeds "up to" 50mbps......Whereas the lesser-priced option (w/o X1) has slower internet speeds of "up to" 25mbps (which, BTW, is 10 times faster than my current miserable AT&T DSL service which regularly checks at around 2.5 mbps down & .46 up).

Sooooo..........my question is: Does anyone know if the less-expensive option includes STREAMING of the same HD programming, or will that cost extra - which might bring me up to or over the price of the $10/mo higher-priced "X1" programming?

TIA - Ray

Last edited by TurboRay : 08-01-2014 at 07:36 PM.
TurboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:12 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Tivo Roamio is all digital, and any price cable channel plan will work as well as any internet speed service. Most HD channels would be included in whatever plan you choose, although the more pricier the plan, the more channels you get. HBO, Showtime, etc are extra premium channels which can be added to any plan.

You can also just go to comcast.com and see the list of channels available for each plan and choose the appropriate one.

If you choose a triple play plan, which includes phone service, it can get cheaper and you may not even need Ooma.

For the Roamio, you would need a M (Multistream) cable card, and you might need a Tuning adapter for Switched Digital Video.

Make sure you choose the right Roamio for your needs, the basic Roamio 4 tuner can work with Antenna or digital cable, but the other 2 models (Plus and Pro) only works with digital cable with 6 tuners.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 08-02-2014 at 01:18 AM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
ggieseke

I have never heard of Comcast using tuning adapters in any of their markets, so you should be OK with just the cable card. Ignore the number they give you and call 877-405-2298 to get it paired correctly.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

How to get a CableCARD

How to Activate Your Self Installation Kit Devices

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:00 AM   #5
telemark

Quote:
Sooooo..........my question is: Does anyone know if the less-expensive option includes STREAMING of the same HD programming, or will that cost extra - which might bring me up to or over the price of the $10/mo higher-priced "X1" programming?
So what do you mean by "STREAMING" ? Or what do you think it means?

Generally the differences in the plans are which Channels, which Equipment (not relevant for Tivo), and internet speed.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:08 AM   #6
TurboRay

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
So what do you mean by "STREAMING"? Or what do you think it means?
"Streaming" was probably not a good word choice, telemark! My concern is/was whether or not the incoming digital signal provided by Comcast, included the necessary data for my Roamio to decode (?) HDTV on the upper channels where it is available. IOW, I didn't wanna find out later on that the less-expensive option - that still includes 220+ channels - would not display those channels in High Def.

One of the several "Chris's" <rolleyes> that I spoke with on Comcast's "chat" (all of whom I trust about as far as I can throw 'em) said - as you did - that both options included the sending of HDTV signals and that the only differences in the two plans I was considering was (up to) 25mbps vs 50mbps internet speed. But, as I stated earlier, even their slowest advertised internet speed is 10x faster than my current AT&T DSL.

The problem I have since found is that the cheaper "non-double-play" option (Digital Preferred TV + Performance Internet), reverts to a higher monthly total after all the promo periods end.....than the "Double-Play" option!! Soooo.......as Blondie sung, 'they're gonna "getcha" one way or the other', lol. I think I'm gonna choose the "Double Play" option with "NO TERM AGREEMENT" (promo price $89.99, months 1-12; $119.99, months 13-24; and $134.95 "regular"/rip-off pricing......which, of course, is "subject to change", lol).

THANX for all your responses, guys - RAY

Last edited by TurboRay : 08-03-2014 at 03:14 AM.
TurboRay is offline   Reply With Quote