TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
macky

Angry TiVo Premiere 4 blocked at 80% of HDD

A month ago my Premiere 4 (500GB hdd) stopped keeping recordings for more than 24 hrs. beyond approx. 80% of hdd capacity. Free Disk Space indicates 130 SD hrs. remaining. I've eliminated all but one HD Season Pass--for an actor. No automatically deleted program appears in Recently Deleted--which is blank. Just over 2 mos. ago the hdd was to 94%--w/o any other issue other than being effectively full. TiVo Support has told me a software patch is forthcoming--no time given.
macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Let me guess, you use KUID on your shows?

You may want to just upgrade to a larger drive, its an easy DIY and just for the cost of the drive.

Your recently deleted being empty shows that it is clearing them out in order to make space for new recordings. Thus, it thinks you are out of space either because of KUID or tons of scheduled recordings, or a combination.

Last edited by jrtroo : 06-26-2014 at 02:36 PM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Let me guess, you use KUID on your shows?

You may want to just upgrade to a larger drive, its an easy DIY and just for the cost of the drive.
KUID= Keep until I delete. A setting that plays havoc with new recordings.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by macky View Post
A month ago my Premiere 4 (500GB hdd) stopped keeping recordings for more than 24 hrs. beyond approx. 80% of hdd capacity. Free Disk Space indicates 130 SD hrs. remaining. I've eliminated all but one HD Season Pass--for an actor. No automatically deleted program appears in Recently Deleted--which is blank. Just over 2 mos. ago the hdd was to 94%--w/o any other issue other than being effectively full. TiVo Support has told me a software patch is forthcoming--no time given.
TiVos don't put shows in the Recently Deleted folder--they either permanently delete them because they need the space, or they don't delete them until and unless they need the space. They don't delete today because they'll need the space tomorrow.

That said, if you delete anything, it goes into the Recently Deleted folder, and I've seen at least one TiVo which would leave stuff in there and permanently delete a show that was only a day or two old to make room to record something else, so now I go into the RD folder and manually permanently delete on a regular basis.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
berkshires

Quote:
Originally Posted by macky View Post
Have you used the iOS app with the TiVo, and if so what have you used it for? Ie. streaming, deleting, etc...
berkshires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
macky

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
Have you used the iOS app with the TiVo, and if so what have you used it for? Ie. streaming, deleting, etc...
Thank you for your intriguing response, Berkshires. The only app that this TiVo has been used with is TiVo's Desktop 2.8 ...and possibly with kmttg. Are you suggesting a malware crossover from an Apple device?
Old 08-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
macky

Wink TiVo Premiere 4 blocked at 80% of HDD--UPDATED

7:07 AM 8/4/2014 >>>>> RESOLUTION!! >>>>>

APPARRENTLY THE TiVo UPDATE DID FIX THE 80% HDD RECORDING BLOCK AFTERALL--AT FIRST I WAS SCEPTICAL! My Premiere 4 now records ALL: Season Passes, WishList, Manual Recordings, etc.; AND KEEPS THEM! Deleted recordings go to Recently Deleted--and stay! I can only conclude that in their anticipation of the annual Spring to Summer DVR Software Update TiVo issues a HDD space hold--without any notification to subscribers!

I was recently informed by a veteran TiVo tech that TiVo does not recommend saving recordings beyond 50% of DVR HDD capacity!
Purchasers, like myself, who buy on the basis of TiVo' stated full HDD capacity for their particular model are, apparently, exceptional--and delusional!

Thus on May 28, 2014 when my Premiere 4 HDD reached 80% of capacity it (to 94% capacity months earlier) stopped retaining, irrespective of their "Keep" status, all recordings, and vaporized them--usually within 2 to 3 hours. This behavior persisted until after the TiVo DVR Software Update was
auto installed about 7:00 am August 1, 2014--over two months disruption!

Early on I had asked a TiVo tech, "Does TiVo ever put a block on DVR HDD recording?" I was told flatly, "No, never...!" But two weeks ago an elevated TiVo tech told me, in an Email, that the TiVo Update would resolve the issue! None of the four or five other techs contacted had a clue of the pending
update being the cause...and the cure of my HHD block at 80%! Ditto for the five TiVo Community member veterans who had offered their thoughts on my query.

Fellow full TiVo Premiere DVR HDD users beware!
Old 08-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've never run into this with the Premieres or Roamios. I've been over 95% full and the TiVos have always behaved the same way. Whether I was at 95%, 55%, or 5% capacity it has made no difference. Although I use KUID sparingly and only with individual epsiodes.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've never run into this with the Premieres or Roamios. I've been over 95% full and the TiVos have always behaved the same way. Whether I was at 95%, 55%, or 5% capacity it has made no difference. Although I use KUID sparingly and only with individual epsiodes.
You certainly lived a blessed life, given all the things you say you never encounter, have not seen, have never been affected by/afflicted with, what has not been an issue for you, and so on, and so forth...

There's at least six threads on issues like this one. I don't buy any of this stuff that was allegedly said by TiVo, or the speculation that everything was intentional. I'm not saying a TiVo CSR didn't say what was reported in this thread. I'll bite my tongue on what I'd like to say about it, though...

Something funky has been going on with recordings going missing, without a valid reason for them to go missing. Even more funky, is that an update has restored vast amounts of recordings for some afflicted by them going missing, and not having the space they used available for recordings, or calculated into disk usage.

I've posted enough in the other threads, already. I'll pass on the many things I'd like to go into detail on. It would just be too much repetition.

I sure hope that "veteran" CSR, gets the proper recognition they deserve. Unfortunately, I don't think firing squads are allowed...
Old 08-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #10
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
...I've been over 95% full and the TiVos have always behaved the same way. Whether I was at 95%, 55%, or 5% capacity it has made no difference. Although I use KUID sparingly and only with individual epsiodes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
...There's at least six threads on issues like this one...
i'm not taking sides, but i have pushed my capacity over 90%, and the only effect i've noticed is an absence of sp recordings in my to do list (no anticipated space). tivo has never missed or deleted any of my recordings to make room (there has always been room for at least 3 days of future recordings). i use kuid for all saved recordings, but only 2 out of 100 sp and wishlists.

with the update, i have noticed my pxl is calculating it's projected need to delete a little later than before - more blue dots, fewer yellow dots and "!", and it takes longer from them to change.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

I have over four hundred recordings every two week cycle. I was at 96% recently and everything behaved normally. The vast majority of these recordings are Season Passes that I have set to keep only one episode. They are mostly news programs. It was over five hundred recordings every two weeks until I deleted some of the SPs recently. I was shocked when I realized how many news episodes get recorded on my Roamio pro.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote