TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
jjd_87

Should I keep the box?

I have a TiVo Premiere 4 that is about 2 years old now with lifetime service. I've been hanging onto the box and packing materials with the idea that I may sell it one day and that it would bring more money with the original box.

Flash forward to today and my wife it wanting it moved out of the spare bedroom that we are turning into a nursery. So the question becomes do I find another place to stash this box or toss it? What do you guys think?
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Time_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
So the question becomes do I find another place to stash this box or toss it? What do you guys think?

its a box, toss it, if you ever sell the TiVo you can always put it in another box, that's what I did with my Premiere 4 when I sold it and it sold for the same price as all the others on eBay.

-TL
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Toss it. I generally only keep boxes through the manufacturers warranty or return period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
squint

I believe it helps the resale value and it sure makes shipping easier. I've had a bunch of Tivos shipped to me and a lot of people who didn't have the original box looked like they really struggled to find something that would work.

I just put all boxes and packing materials in the attic. Plenty of room up there.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
I have a TiVo Premiere 4 that is about 2 years old now with lifetime service. I've been hanging onto the box and packing materials with the idea that I may sell it one day and that it would bring more money with the original box.

Flash forward to today and my wife it wanting it moved out of the spare bedroom that we are turning into a nursery. So the question becomes do I find another place to stash this box or toss it? What do you guys think?
Original boxes and packaging are the best things you'll ever find for transporting stuff like that because they were specifically designed for that, and they're already labeled as to what's inside them.

If you don't have an attic you can stick it in, throw some cloth over it and call it a small table.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I vote keep the box until you no longer have the item that came in it.

If space is really at a premium, cut the tape, flatten the box, and just put the packaging in a bag. I'm one of the "value is higher with original packaging" acolytes.

I've never had a damaged in shipping item not covered by the shipping carrier, so long as I used the original box and packaging. If a product is still under any warranty, sometimes non-original packaging for shipping voids the warranty, when you ship something in under warranty.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Teeps

Stashing boxes is what the rafters in the garage are for, put it in a trash bag to keep out dirt/dust.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
Bigg

Keep it. A couple of years ago, I instituted a system for marking boxes as I got stuff with their "expiration date" of when I would throw them out, usually 3 years, sometimes a bit longer, depending on the item. TiVo boxes I would probably keep just about forever, same for Nintendo...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I say 'keep it if you have the space'. It is much easier shipping them in the original box. And when looking at TiVos for sale, it seems that if you have the original boxes, manuals and cords, people seem to pay more for a 'buy it now'. I got two TiVos in the original box and then another box just a little bit bigger so even better for shipping.
replaytv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
gigaguy

I keep most all boxes and packing... cause I like to resell and upgrade.
If I buy a used item, I like getting everything that came new, if available...
just depends on your needs.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
Bigg

It also depends on how big your attic is...
Old 07-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #12
jjd_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
It also depends on how big your attic is...

None existent, or at least no access to it. But I put it in a trash bag and put in the shed. It should be fine out there.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #13
Bigg

Quote:
None existent, or at least no access to it. But I put it in a trash bag and put in the shed. It should be fine out there.
Or how big your shed is.