TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #1
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Survivor: San Juan del Sur "Blood is Blood" OAD 10-22-2014

I was disappointed that they shuffled the tribes so soon. Seems like the dynamic they had going wasn't played out yet. On the other hand, the new dynamic is potentially much more painful. Having several pairs on the same tribe should mean the singles are safe as safe can be while pairs are split. I was surprised that they took Kelley out last night, though. Thought it was going to go the other way.

I wonder what Jeff's going to do about the food. What price could he extract from that tribe? What have they got? Of course he could take their fishing and comfort stuff, leave them with a bare campsite, but will that be enough? I gotta admit, I'm anxious to find out.

Dalton's recap: http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/survivo...sur-episode-5/

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I agree. It would've been interesting to see what the dynamic of the tribe would be after they visited TC. Would this start a losing streak for them?

Missy, Baylors mom, annoys me so much. I am ready for her to get voted out. It can't happen fast enough for me.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #3
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Wasn't Kelley the one Drew was trying to get voted out last week because she was a strategic threat? If so, she must have some strategic chops that are apparent to the people in the game but not so much to us, the home viewers. The kissy couple might have kept Baylor and Missy because neither of them is likely to be a later threat.

meh
Old 10-23-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

This has been nagging at me since the show started. Finally, Jaclyn got enough screen time to help me finally place why she looked so familiar: She could be Anna Torv's little sister (Lead actress on Fringe). She looks very much like her, even her mannerism is very much like her and she kisses the same way (I wish I could test that first hand, though!).

It's almost creepy...I wonder if they are related somehow.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
pmyers

I was surprised with the vote.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #6
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

My guess for the trade is they give up a shot at immunity. I don't think they should be given any more rice though.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I agree. It would've been interesting to see what the dynamic of the tribe would be after they visited TC. Would this start a losing streak for them?

Missy, Baylors mom, annoys me so much. I am ready for her to get voted out. It can't happen fast enough for me.
The rice thing bugged me - and that none of them would get together and work as a tribe to tell her 'no'.

The bit about "mamma bear" at the tribal council really bugged me and I would be writing her name down so fast it wasn't funny. Keep Baylor and ditch Mom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I wonder what Jeff's going to do about the food. What price could he extract from that tribe? What have they got? Of course he could take their fishing and comfort stuff, leave them with a bare campsite, but will that be enough? I gotta admit, I'm anxious to find out.
They don't have any of that stuff, do they? They traded the fishing stuff for the flint the first time, and the other team was the one that won the comfort stuff last week. I just can't remember if there was one in the middle where they might have won something. I would think if they had fishing gear we would have seen them trying to catch some fish instead of just lying about complaining about the lack of rice and beans!
Old 10-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Wasn't Kelley the one Drew was trying to get voted out last week because she was a strategic threat? If so, she must have some strategic chops that are apparent to the people in the game but not so much to us, the home viewers.
Yes, he said something in one of his one-on-one's that it's obvious she has watched every single episode of the show and knows the game.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I guess that Jeff is going to make them vote somebody out to get the rice.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
lalouque
Quilter-Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
Oh no, I say they have to draw rocks to eliminate someone to get the rice.
lalouque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #12
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
That would suck horribly for the people who came from the frugal tribe.

meh
Old 10-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
Necromancer2006

Quote:
I was disappointed that they shuffled the tribes so soon. Seems like the dynamic they had going wasn't played out yet. On the other hand, the new dynamic is potentially much more painful. Having several pairs on the same tribe should mean the singles are safe as safe can be while pairs are split. I was surprised that they took Kelley out last night, though. Thought it was going to go the other way.

Dalton's recap: http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/survivo...sur-episode-5/
He's gotta end up taking the tarp(s), don't you think?

I don't know why they voted Kelley over Dale. Dale is going to be incredibly bitter and very negative and poisonous back at camp afterwards whereas I think while Kelley would have been sad, she would have adapted and looked for a way to continue.

I think they're going to find out it was a mistake to chose her over her father. I could see Dale (figuratively) burn the place down.

"Mama bear" ought to realize that it was her daughter that went and took a baseball bat to the hornets nest - to have Baylor's mom sit there and say that she's being protective of her baby girl because Dale voted for her is highly irritating and screams "Helicopter Parent" to me.
Necromancer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #14
Necromancer2006

Quote:
That would suck horribly for the people who came from the frugal tribe.
Seriously though - how does the one tribe figure out that they don't need to ration rice at all? There has been some serious displays of mental deficiency on the part of several players this season but I don't think collectively there's ever been this many BAD players in the game.
Necromancer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #15
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer2006 View Post
Seriously though - how does the one tribe figure out that they don't need to ration rice at all?
If all they have to do to "pay for" their non-rationing is to vote one person out, then I think they made out well on the deal. After all, they had early dominance in the game, presumably due (at least in part) to their better diet.

I hope that Jeff is not willing to give them more rice. That would be a bad precedent IMO. Maybe a little food every other day or so to keep them from literally starving, but they should be forced to accept the consequences of their earlier decision---physical weakness for future challenges...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #16
Honora

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
They don't have any of that stuff, do they? They traded the fishing stuff for the flint the first time, and the other team was the one that won the comfort stuff last week. I just can't remember if there was one in the middle where they might have won something. I would think if they had fishing gear we would have seen them trying to catch some fish instead of just lying about complaining about the lack of rice and beans!
When Dale & Kelley were talking alone, it looked like they were holding fishing gear.

If "Mama Bear" keeps using up the rice the way she's doing, their tribe is going to have to "barter" with Jeff soon. Unless they make it to the Merge before they starve.
Honora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #17
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
... they should be forced to accept the consequences of their earlier decision---physical weakness for future challenges...
The problem is 3 of the people now on the tribe would be forced to accept the consequences of the other peoples poor decisions.

This is another reason they shouldn't have merged when they did. Let it play out. Let the vociferous eaters feel the punishment for their decisions for a few more days.

I am enjoying this season much more than I was expecting. Maybe it is the unpredictability of these knuckleheads each episode.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #18
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
I actually had a better thought if they'd been willing to move more quickly, have them give up the immunity they just won for the Rice and give it to the other team.

In my book that would have been EPIC and the kind of price you need to pay for that mistake.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #19
pmyers

Quote:
I think thats probable, but wouldn't EVERYBODY have to agree to it? I'd rather starve than have a chance of being voted out....especially if I was on the bottom, and I'm sure somebody will feel they are on the bottom.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #20
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I actually had a better thought if they'd been willing to move more quickly, have them give up the immunity they just won for the Rice and give it to the other team.

In my book that would have been EPIC and the kind of price you need to pay for that mistake.
Agreed that would have been great. You could even see the other tribe leaving in the background when they were talking to Jeff. I could just imagine him yelling to the other tribe to come back and hand them the immunity!
Old 10-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #21
InterMurph

Quote:
I was disappointed that they shuffled the tribes so soon. Seems like the dynamic they had going wasn't played out yet. On the other hand, the new dynamic is potentially much more painful.
They pretty much guaranteed such a dynamic with the method used for the shuffle.

Often, they have a single hat, from which each player draws a new buff. This gives each player a 50/50 chance of being on either tribe, and once resulted in a single player (Ambuh) switching tribes.

This time, Jeff threw two bags of buffs, one to each tribe. They were presumably split 50/50 for each tribe, which all but assured us that there would be a big switch-up. The final result is relatively extreme, but I think it serves the show better than did Ambuh's solo switch.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #22
VegasVic
Craps Player

Lack of food used to be a big factor on this show but in recent seasons food is rarely mentioned. IMHO if they only had a day or two of food left they should have waited to do the switch and let it play out.

Also, Missy can go anytime. Can't stand her.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #23
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
there are 3 ex-husbands nodding their head furiously in agreement!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #24
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
Lack of food used to be a big factor on this show but in recent seasons food is rarely mentioned. IMHO if they only had a day or two of food left they should have waited to do the switch and let it play out.

If you watch Ponderosa they always talk about lack of food and always being hungry. They may not focus on it but it still seems to be a factor.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #25
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
there are 3 ex-husbands nodding their head furiously in agreement!

Old 10-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #26
laria
Librocubicularist

Both Dale and Missy are super annoying.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #27
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
If you watch Ponderosa they always talk about lack of food and always being hungry. They may not focus on it but it still seems to be a factor.
They definitely eat less than they are used to...but they no longer starve the contestants like they used to, nor do they let them go for a long time without fire...

So while it is still a factor, it is not longer the magnitude factor that it used to be...

I don't understand the rationale of the vote results... Missy and her daughter are on track to mis-manage their food rations AND they have a negative impact on tribe morale... At least that is what I am seeing...

Dale and his daughter are far more methodical and logic driven...and even though Dale looks like he is about to "lose it", his daughter keeps him in check quite well...

Oh well... I think there is a combination of "we see more than they do" (behind the scenes) AND "they see more than we do too" (day-to-day details)...
  • Game Consoles: PS3, XBox 360, Wii
MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #28
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
This has been nagging at me since the show started. Finally, Jaclyn got enough screen time to help me finally place why she looked so familiar: She could be Anna Torv's little sister (Lead actress on Fringe). She looks very much like her, even her mannerism is very much like her and she kisses the same way (I wish I could test that first hand, though!).

It's almost creepy...I wonder if they are related somehow.
Thank you! I spent the whole hour trying to figure out who she reminded me of, and it didn't come to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Both Dale and Missy are super annoying.
This. I couldn't believe they went with them. When they eventually get to the merge, I wouldn't want to have to count on them in my alliance.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #29
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
If all they have to do to "pay for" their non-rationing is to vote one person out, then I think they made out well on the deal. After all, they had early dominance in the game, presumably due (at least in part) to their better diet.

I hope that Jeff is not willing to give them more rice. That would be a bad precedent IMO. Maybe a little food every other day or so to keep them from literally starving, but they should be forced to accept the consequences of their earlier decision---physical weakness for future challenges...
Totally agree with this. Hunahpu benefited greatly from eating twice as much food as Coyopa over the first 11 days. If future players see that they can eat as much as they want and all they'll have to do is give up some comforts, or even vote someone out, it's still a good gamble and totally worth it vs. starving yourself and being too weak to win challenges.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #30
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterMurph View Post
They pretty much guaranteed such a dynamic with the method used for the shuffle.

Often, they have a single hat, from which each player draws a new buff. This gives each player a 50/50 chance of being on either tribe, and once resulted in a single player (Ambuh) switching tribes.

This time, Jeff threw two bags of buffs, one to each tribe. They were presumably split 50/50 for each tribe, which all but assured us that there would be a big switch-up. The final result is relatively extreme, but I think it serves the show better than did Ambuh's solo switch.
I noticed that right away, too. It gave a bigger switch up than a random draw might have, but it also greatly advantaged the tribe with the numbers. They're the majority on both sides now. It's unfortunate that they got such an advantage by eating all of their food.

I guess Jeff could trade the food in exchange for the 2 rewards that they've won. Comfort & I just realized that their other reward was beans. So the tribe with rice & beans ran out before the tribe with just rice. Comfort for rice seems too easy. Is Australia the last time that a tribe needed more food? I know they gave up their shelter (tarp) for food that year.
realityboy is online now   Reply With Quote