TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
hummingbird_206

The Mysteries of Laura Season 1

Not a lot of action in the pilot thread and no ep 2 thread, so thought I'd start a season thread in case anyone besides me is still watching.

I'm not loving the show, but I keep watching. I like the cast. And the stories have improved over the pilot, I think.

I enjoyed the scene where Laura was struggling to get her old jeans on. Been there, done that!
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
mattack

I'm still watching, and think it's vaguely entertaining (not as much of a slam as it sounds). I did think the "struggling to get her old jeans on" was way too cliched though.

Seems like I've picked up more hour long shows this year. I realize we're still early, and I'll try out more of the sitcom that was on after Selfie, but I think the only one I've "picked up" this year so far is "Black-ish".

Lawrence Fishburne is only 7 years older than I am, and he's a gray old grandpa!!!!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
sharkster

I like the show. I'm not much of a kid person, so I'm glad they dialed back the kid stuff from E01. I like Debra Messing a lot. She is funny and I love her smile. It's mesmerizing.

I like the relationship with the ex and how they made him the boss (even though they sacrificed a good actor who I wish could have stayed somehow).

I'm not really big on cop dramas, especially network shows, but this one entertains me. I did figure out 'who did it' on the second episode pretty quickly but in E01 I had no idea where that was going. It was still a fun trip, though.

Reviews aren't so good, so I guess I shouldn't get attached but I'll keep watching.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
lpwcomp

I wanted to like this series but couldn't get past the stupid pilot. Plus there's no way her husband, even ex, would be put in her direct line of command.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #5
hummingbird_206

The Mystery of the Sex Scandal 10/9/2014

Definitely not my favorite show, but it is growing on me.

Each episode seems pretty self contained with no real ongoing story to discuss. I'm still watching.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
JohnB1000

I don't watch much prime time TV but stumbled on this the other day. I found it unwatchable. The stories and especially the acting seemed so fake. I think Messing is badly miscast here. Shows like CSI and L&O may not be perfect but they seem real. This seemed like it was in some weird dream world.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #7
sharkster

Maybe I'm a nut, but I'm still watching and I rather like it.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I'm still liking it too.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #9
mattack

Yeah, I haven't watched this week's, but it's a fairly entertaining cop/mystery show. Since I only know the (ex-?) husband from "The Firm", I keep thinking of that when seeing him..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
mr.unnatural

I dropped it after the pilot episode. I've got so many shows in my recording schedule that any new ones have to get me interested enough to keep it. This one didn't make the cut, which is a shame because I really wanted to like it. As it is I'm probably going to have to cut a few other shows as I simply don't have the time to watch all of them.

FWIW, I'm watching Constantine at the moment and so far it's definitely a keeper.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I dropped it after the pilot episode. I've got so many shows in my recording schedule that any new ones have to get me interested enough to keep it. This one didn't make the cut, which is a shame because I really wanted to like it. As it is I'm probably going to have to cut a few other shows as I simply don't have the time to watch all of them.

FWIW, I'm watching Constantine at the moment and so far it's definitely a keeper.
I shared your reaction to the pilot. I stuck with the show for another two eps, and I will say it very definitely improved.... However, it still isn't my cup of tea. I agree JohnB above: I too think Messing is sorely miscast and out of her element.

That said, my wife likes it, so she DVR's it on her machine, and I watch bits and pieces of it with her from time to time.

So, you might like it now. It is not the steaming pile it was back in the pilot.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #12
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Was picked up for full season. I'm glad. Surprised.... but glad.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote