TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

'Intruders' - BBC America

New series starts August 23.

Quote:
From writer and executive producer Glen Morgan (The X-Files), Intruders is about a secret society devoted to chasing immortality by seeking refuge in the bodies of others. A contemporary, chilling, paranormal tale set in the moody Pacific Northwest, the eight part series spins a fascinating and complex web of drama. As strange, apparently unrelated events start happening, multiple story-lines – a missing wife, an assassin covering his crimes, a child on the run – begin to intertwine to reveal a conspiracy that will forever change our understanding of human nature. Produced by BBC Worldwide Productions, the series is based on British novelist Michael Marshall Smith’s ‘The Intruders’.
Stars John Simm and Mira Sorvino.

Teaser

Trailer

Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
markp99
TakoKichi

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the link.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
mr.unnatural

I set up my series recording as soon as it showed up in my guide. BBCA has been previewing this series for several months.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
CraigK
(unspecified)

When I was doing a search for Intruders to set up a Season Pass it was listed right before Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

"In the beginning, there was death." Seen that promo so freakin' many times this summer. Probably won't watch the series, though.

Alan Sepinwall and Dan Fienberg of Hitfix.com talked about it on their podcast this week and after they've each seen three episodes, they both said they were still confused about what the show was about and it seemed like a complete mess.

Tim Goodman of The Hollywood Reporter really liked it.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
"In the beginning, there was death." Seen that promo so freakin' many times this summer. Probably won't watch the series, though.

Alan Sepinwall and Dan Fienberg of Hitfix.com talked about it on their podcast this week and after they've each seen three episodes, they both said they were still confused about what the show was about and it seemed like a complete mess.

Tim Goodman of The Hollywood Reporter really liked it.
I like Sepinwall but I'm 100% a Goodman guy, so it's a SP for me. Goodman is my brother from another mother. Mira Sorvino is the icing on the cake.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
they both said they were still confused about what the show was about and it seemed like a complete mess.
that pretty much sums it up after the first show.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
that pretty much sums it up after the first show.
agreed - they better start splainin' soon, or at least make the mystery interesting. i was ffwding in short bursts towards the end of the pilot, not a good sign. this sp is on a very short leash for me.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #9
caslu

I didn't quite make it to the end of the pilot... it really was a mess, and I usually like stuff that many find confusing.
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
mr.unnatural

There are definitely a lot of things that need to be sorted out, like why is James Frain going around killing kids? I assume he's knocking off kids who's bodies have been possessed by the secret society members. The number 9 also has some meaning that needs clarification, aside from the fact that the kids all seem to be nine years old when getting whacked.

Confusing as hell, but intriguing nonetheless. I can only assume and hope that the background info gets fleshed out further as the show progresses because right now it's totally unclear what's going on.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

I thought it was good but I had it figured out in about 35 min. I did have to explain it to the Wife though. People from the past are stealing bodies to be reborn and there is a group that tries to prevent the evil ones from coming back.
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
AeneaGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer View Post
I thought it was good but I had it figured out in about 35 min. I did have to explain it to the Wife though. People from the past are stealing bodies to be reborn and there is a group that tries to prevent the evil ones from coming back.

Yeah, and apparently it has something to do with frequencies humans normally can't hear...

Still plenty of stuff to fill us in about, but I didn't think it was a mess or all over the place. Well, maybe literrally since they jumped from one place/person to the next, but that is to be expected in a pilot.
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:35 AM   #13
cheesesteak
Meh.

I have no idea what's going on but I'll continue to give it a whirl for another couple of weks.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #14
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I watched the second episode last night and thought it was better than the first. I will continue watching for now.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #15
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I thought it was EXTREMELY slow...."Rectify" slow as a matter of fact. But I like both shows, so I'm OK with that....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

I'm still trying to figure this show out. But I'm still watching.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #17
tlc

Please explain

OK. I watched 3 of these while multitasking and now I need to know what's going on. Is this list right? Don't worry about spoiling me.
  • There's a group of people (9?) that live a long time using other's bodies.
  • The Shepherd wakes them up when the vessel is ready? Is the Shepard a rider too?
  • "You brought me back too early." Apparently the riders are "gone" until the next vessel is ready? So the next vessel is selected/found when the old vessel dies. But they can't move directly into a 16 year old? A child has to grow up with the rider inside?
  • The vessels have no symptoms until the riders are awakened.
  • After the riders are awakened... what? Split personalities time-sharing the body? Or some sort of merged personalities? Nice Amy seemed to want to explain to Hubby. Then Bad Amy woke up and said get off me.
  • Marcus (now a little girl) made a deal with the Shepherd. The Shepherd wants to kill Marcus and killed a Chinese lady rider. Is he killing all of them now?
  • Marcus gave the Shepherd a Sand Dollar talisman to wake him up with.
  • The series seemed to open with someone training the Shepherd. What happened to that guy?

Edit: OK. I watched the fourth ep. It's definitely an adversarial relationship in the little girl. OTOH, Amy's doesn't seem that way. And the teenage girl who killed herself in the opening insisted she was "not Donna". So that's why Marcus was upset that it was "too early"? Cause the younger vessels are harder?

Did I miss anything?

Last edited by tlc : 09-15-2014 at 09:40 AM.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #18
aaronwt
HD Addict

I'm still watching this. It seems interesting. But I probably wouldn't be watching it if it was on a different night.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #19
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm still watching this. It seems interesting. But I probably wouldn't be watching it if it was on a different night.
Since when does the night a show airs determine when you watch it?

XL4
Old 09-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #20
danterner
Not it!

I haven't yet watched episode 4, but I did just finish listening to an interview with Mira Sorvino on the Nerdist podcast, where she talked about the show at some length. She said that when the first episode came back from the network with notes, everyone thought the first episode was much too confusing. They intentionally decided not to pander by making it less confusing, as they wanted to establish the mystery without giving any answers. She said that episode 4 is the turning point and that things start making a lot more sense, in some unanticipated and very dramatic ways, in the back half of the season. The front half is confusing by design; the back half explains it all and is very dramatic.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Since when does the night a show airs determine when you watch it?
Certain shows I watch the night they air. And typically I will watch Saturday shows that same night since there are so few I watch on Saturday. I guess they all seem to be on BBCA that I watch on Saturday.

So I watch Dr. Who and since the Intruders comes on after i watch that too. Of course i don't start watching until after 9:40PM so I can scan past all of the commercials for both shows.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #22
Alfer
WOOSAH!

I have been watching and enjoying it for the most part but it is rather slow at times and I'm still trying to wrap my head around what all is going on.

I was hoping Wikipedia might break things down into a Cliff Notes version of things, but they have pretty much nothing posted.

I understand that bad folks are taking over good folks bodies/spirits but I'm still unclear about who the hit man is and what all his role is in this thing.

Also, how do these bad folks find/get into the bodies of random folks, like the little girl (runaway)? I mean I saw the family at the beach and the girl wander outside but how did hitman find her? I know somehow a seashell ties to her story, but how?

So confusing at times, but I'm willing to keep watching for now since it's only an 8 episode deal so we're halfway done anyway.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #23
mr.unnatural

I've been stumbling along with this series just because I was hoping that eventually things would start to become clear. This week's episode finally revealed a lot of the background storylines that were needed to bring me up to speed. The little girl is being occupied by a bad guy that wasn't supposed to come back. James Frain was apparently the guy that helped him come back, but he is having misgivings about what he did. Mira Sorvino has been "intruded" by a woman named Rose that appears to be one of the leaders of the Intruder cult if I interpreted that correctly. The black guy in the hotel room across from Rose pieced together the plot and he's going a little whacko trying to absorb it all. Mira's husband is trying to come to grips with the whole situation.

Sound about right?
Old 09-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #24
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I've been stumbling along with this series just because I was hoping that eventually things would start to become clear. This week's episode finally revealed a lot of the background storylines that were needed to bring me up to speed. The little girl is being occupied by a bad guy that wasn't supposed to come back. James Frain was apparently the guy that helped him come back, but he is having misgivings about what he did. Mira Sorvino has been "intruded" by a woman named Rose that appears to be one of the leaders of the Intruder cult if I interpreted that correctly. The black guy in the hotel room across from Rose pieced together the plot and he's going a little whacko trying to absorb it all. Mira's husband is trying to come to grips with the whole situation.

Sound about right?
Works for me....

XL4
Old 09-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #25
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Yeah that jives with what I've gathered so far.

But how did these "bad" folks come to find out about this ability to hop into other random peoples bodies? Is it from some ancient ritual from the past that has carried forward to now? Still can't figure out how the little girl got picked to be a new host body? Was it random?

Is the ghost machine related to the moving around from body to body, or was it invented to let the "good guys" see the bad spirits hiding in the good people? Kind of like in that cheesy movie from the 80's "They Live" where the main character could wear some special glasses and could see the creatures walking among the normal folks.

Also, what's up with the podcast van guys? I take it they were tipped off about the body hopping and are broadcasting it out to whoever will listen to warn the "good" people?

So many questions!! LOL
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #26
danterner
Not it!

I've gathered that the body-hopping group (the Qui Reverti) have been doing this for centuries. We know this because the serial killer (Marcus) inside the girl was (by inference) the same serial killer from the 1700s/whenever the Mozart piece was first performed. When Marcus/the girl was hitch hiking and talking to the woman she later killed at the rest-stop, she/he mentioned being part of the orchestra the night it was first performed, and that the performance was spoiled by the bodies discovered outside, or something like that.

The group that shepherds the Qui Reverti (Frain and the older guy and Mira Sorvino's boss and unknown others - at one point I thought I caught a reference to Simm being a shepherd but how could that make sense?) is separate and don't themselves body hop. Marcus struck a deal with Frain, though, to allow him to come back (Frain was supposed to have killed him) with the understanding that Marcus would then ascend to the throne and grant a boon to Frain for having helped him. Frain acceded to the request but now regrets it.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM   #27
tlc

Ugh. I need a tutorial.

So people can "come back" and displace other souls to live again.
It's a bigger club than I thought and new people can join (Bix, Jack).

It apparently doesn't take any training or special qualifications -- you just need to be shown something (by a member?) as/before you die?? (Bix) Is there more to the process? Is everybody carrying an old soul and in danger of accidentally seeing something that might trigger it?

Marcus needed to see his token again, closer to his death behind the wall?

Rose/Amy buried him 9 years ago. So Rose was using Amy that long ago?

Was Jack given a token? Or just an invitation?

I'm guessing that the Shepherds have to track down the new body that the soul has gone into. If they fail to find they right body, the old soul is lost? Are the Shepherds immortals too?

I liked the way Madison beat Marcus. I assume he's "out of the game" for good. Does that give us hope for Amy?

Does Gary really have a way back? Or was he just nuts?

I saw the flashback with the Hispanic before, but I just thought he was flashing back to a stressful gunplay incident. Now I guess it was more relevant. A previous run-in with Qui Reverti?