TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #1
jkeegan

The Leftovers "The Garveys at Their Best" 8/24/2014

Man I love this show..

seven syllables
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
jkeegan

Interesting things:

1) He was seeing deer BEFORE Oct 14

2) Before we saw a similar mailbox theme with him and his (step)son. Now we see it's even more similar because Kevin actually kept stuff hidden underneath a mailbox too..

3) Poor Nora. She was screaming at her kids right before it happened.. And she told her potential boss "as far as you're concerned, for the next 4 weeks I don't have a family".

4) Kevin doesn't want a ****ing dog

At some point in the episode I thought what if the special thing that happened on Oct 14th was just that many people's thoughts came true, and one person's just happened to be that people would disappear ala the rapture, but other people's thoughts happened too.. But that didn't seem to come to pass.

I also thought "what if WE see some similarity between everyone who disappears in this episode, that no one could later", but if there were clues to that they're not obvious.

"Prayers are stupid."

This was the first time all season that we saw/heard Laurie talk.

Loved seeing Jill how she was before.

I was glad that Kevin's affair was one-time brief thing (unlike Nora's husband who was late because of his affair).

That woman in the car was the one who lost her daughter in the laundromat that we saw in the pilot.

My wife called that Laurie was pregnant.

What was the "are you ready?" bit about?

What's up with the defective My Hero coffee cup?

Have we seen Tommy's biological dad before in the series? I can't place the actor..

Were the Garvey's in a different house? It looks insanely nice. If she told Kevin to move out before she left for the GR (so she could give $ to them), then she did exactly what Peggi's boyfriend had done to her.

Lou has always been an *******, apparently. (The jerk cop that Kevin always fights with).

That manhole explosion!

I called the human circuit would end in the light going out early on.

After the episode I rewound to see what the kid who disappeared from the circuit looked like. She was an Asian girl wearing a blue dress with a flower in her hair, The last shot we see her in clearly, Tom's arm has some tattoo prominently in front of her. Not sure if that was supposed to mean something. Actually looking back now she might not be Asian - maybe Hawaiian?

The phone call Nora got that caused the orange juice spill was from Lucy Wsomething.. Is that her potential boss (the later mayor or whatever)?

seven syllables
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
they explain it all
Old 08-24-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
Man I love this show..
Me too.
Perfect timing to see them all before and man o man did that explain a lot.

Quote:
Interesting things:
I was glad that Kevin's affair was one-time brief thing (unlike Nora's husband who was late because of his affair).

That woman in the car was the one who lost her daughter in the laundromat that we saw in the pilot.

Have we seen Tommy's biological dad before in the series? I can't place the actor..

Were the Garvey's in a different house?

The phone call Nora got that caused the orange juice spill was from Lucy Wsomething.. Is that her potential boss (the later mayor or whatever)?
I must have missed that Nora's husband was having an affair.

The woman in what car?

Tommy's biological Dad was in Oz (if that helps).

The Garvey's were definitely in a different house - not sure what was up with that.

Yes - that was the woman who was running for mayor - who I guess now is the mayor.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
jkeegan

From a reddit comment:

"That mentally disabled person is the one who departs.. Nora asks the "sexual history" question to his parents."

The deer visited him.. Hmm..

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 08-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
jkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I must have missed that Nora's husband was having an affair.
Matt (the priest) is Nora's brother and when he asked her for money, he mentioned that her husband had been sleeping with one of the kids' teachers or something. She told that to Kevin later while sitting in front of the lockers in school.

Quote:
The woman in what car?
Laurie drives up along another car. The car has a woman driver on a cell phone, and there's a crying baby in the back seat. They exchange glances. Maybe that helps Laurie think she's going to get the abortion after all, because she goes in for the appointment. That woman is also seen at the END of the pilot at a bar with Kevin.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 08-25-2014, 01:09 AM   #6
getbak

Quote:
Maybe that helps Laurie think she's going to get the abortion after all, because she goes in for the appointment.
Abortion? It looked like she was having an ultrasound. The preacher was there for some sort of diagnostic appointment too.

I can't imagine that an abortion clinic would show you the baby moving around or let you hear the heartbeat before doing what they do.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
jkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Abortion? It looked like she was having an ultrasound. The preacher was there for some sort of diagnostic appointment too.

I can't imagine that an abortion clinic would show you the baby moving around or let you hear the heartbeat before doing what they do.
The doctor had to talk her into keeping her appointment, saying they were nearing the point of no return. She hadn't told Kevin and it looks like she wasn't planning to. She kept going back and forth between whether to keep it or not.

The doctor asked her if it was ok for her to hear the ultrasound. It didn't sound like the happy "let's hear the baby!" that you'd hear if a mother was looking forward to the baby. (In some states they actually force you to see the ultrasound by law).

I think when she heard and saw the baby, she had just now finally decided to keep the baby, and then it was gone.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #8
jkeegan

There's an interesting theory on reddit that everyone that departed was, at that instant on Oct 14th, inconveniencing/burdening some Leftover. Nora was mad at her whole family at that moment, and missed a call from her potential boss, who she promised that "as far as you're concerned, for the next 4 weeks I don't have a family". Kevin was in a one-time affair that he probably regretted as he was doing it. Laurie had this baby which she hadn't told Kevin about, and Kevin doesn't even want a dog. (There's a question as to whether it's even his too in some people's minds). The couple with the Down's Syndrome son were likely to have a reason to be frustrated (they showed a look on the mother's face just as she said "not gonna happen" about getting out of the house that hinted that it sometimes got to her). The baby crying in the laundromat and car probably momentarily caused her to get angry at (or again, just inconvenienced by) the baby. There's talk that Peggi's husband departed (no source on that yet I think?), but if so she was certainly inconvenienced by him. And even the girl at the science fair - maybe she had the best project and everyone else felt jealous or stressed because they weren't going to win (Tom joked that one of the other kids had figured out cold fusion).

One reddit poster even said "what if that fits in with the 'guilty' part of Guilty Remnant?". Like they all realize that the moment before they departed that they had wished then away, and now felt guilt over it.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 08-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #9
Barmat

While Kevin is jogging a car rolls up and a group asks him "Are you ready?". He is wearing white and smoking. What's up with that? Was the GR around before the disappearance?

Best episode of the series.
Barmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #10
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Quote:
The doctor had to talk her into keeping her appointment, saying they were nearing the point of no return. She hadn't told Kevin and it looks like she wasn't planning to. She kept going back and forth between whether to keep it or not.

The doctor asked her if it was ok for her to hear the ultrasound. It didn't sound like the happy "let's hear the baby!" that you'd hear if a mother was looking forward to the baby. (In some states they actually force you to see the ultrasound by law).

I think when she heard and saw the baby, she had just now finally decided to keep the baby, and then it was gone.
Also, at the beginning of the appointment the doctor said something about how later she could speak with someone to "discuss options". I took that to mean options regarding whether or not to keep the baby.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #11
Cainebj

Quote:
Laurie drives up along another car. The car has a woman driver on a cell phone, and there's a crying baby in the back seat.
OHHHHH that woman - I didn't make the connection. thanks
Old 08-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #12
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
One reddit poster even said "what if that fits in with the 'guilty' part of Guilty Remnant?". Like they all realize that the moment before they departed that they had wished then away, and now felt guilt over it.
That does explain why Laure would leave her family to join the GR, which is a question a lot of us have been asking. I'm sure she felt guilty after wanting the baby to be gone and then seeing it disappear. It also looked like she and Kevin were pretty much done as a couple, anyway.

I loved this episode. I didn't read the book so I keep thinking of Lost due to the Lindelof connection and the best stuff here really reminds me of some of the best from Lost (which is a good thing, to me). Even the tie-ins between characters. Gladys was the puppy lady, for instance.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
DLiquid
Progressive User

Yeah, heavy LOST vibe in this episode with the flashback and all of the connections between things.

I thought it was cool that the deer was getting into those buildings because it had an "It's a girl!" balloon stuck in its antlers and it was presumably blinded/confused. It gives a totally logical reason why the deer had a magical glow in the forest, while at the same time making it seem like many things Kevin sees are signs, as he seems to be suspecting, and giving new significance to the other deer later trashing Kevin's kitchen.

This show is great. I wish there were more episodes per season.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
Cainebj

Quote:
Were the Garvey's in a different house?
A friend just told me that it is said in an earlier episode that they moved into Kevin's Dad's house.

I didn't catch it and didn't think it because of the family photos on the wall...
Old 08-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #15
SoBelle0
What's next?

Wow! What a fantastic episode! I need to digest those bits and rewatch this one.
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:01 AM   #16
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
A friend just told me that it is said in an earlier episode that they moved into Kevin's Dad's house. I didn't catch it and didn't think it because of the family photos on the wall...
After the deer tore up the kitchen, the dad made a comment when he came to visit that "my woodwork" got torn up. There may have been something else, too, but I remember that.

So I guess that Laurie was probably making most of the money and Kevin couldn't afford to keep the big fancy house after she left. Plus, since dad went crazy and got committed, his house was vacant, anyway.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:25 AM   #17
Fixer
Fixin' it!!

Quote:
Interesting things:
Quote:
Tommy's biological Dad was in Oz (if that helps).
I was wondering the same thing. At first I thought it was Dean Winters, better known as the Allstate "mayhem guy", with a wig. Turns out it was his brother, Scott William Winters, better known as "Michael Bolton Clone" from "Good Will Hunting"

___
Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #18
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post
Yeah, heavy LOST vibe in this episode with the flashback and all of the connections between things.

I thought it was cool that the deer was getting into those buildings because it had an "It's a girl!" balloon stuck in its antlers and it was presumably blinded/confused. It gives a totally logical reason why the deer had a magical glow in the forest, while at the same time making it seem like many things Kevin sees are signs, as he seems to be suspecting, and giving new significance to the other deer later trashing Kevin's kitchen.

This show is great. I wish there were more episodes per season.
I keep threatening to quit this show as SOO much of it is boring, but yes, this episode was why I loved Lost. Definitely a Lost vibe to me as well, and now that I have a better understanding of the backstory, I'll at least stick through it for the season and decide what I want to do next season. Not the greatest thing on TV, but a few of the episodes were interesting enough to stick with it for now. I don't love the show, but at least this episode gave me a glimmer of hope that I might like it after all.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #19
hairyblue
A good Man

It was interesting to see Patti and the "dog breeder" women from the GR talking. Patti seems so unlike a leader and she must go through some transformation to become the GR leader. The dog breeder women is so loving and full of life, and becomes a mute hard GR women.

I see why many leftovers blame themselves for the disappearance of people they loved. And they see it as maybe their fault.

It looks like Laurie was there to start the process of going through with the abortion but decided to keep it, and then it was gone. And at the some moment, Kevin is having a very regrettable sexual encounter. I'm sure Kevin must have told her about it, or it come out in the investigation of the departed. The final nail in the coffin of their marriage.

But we still don't know how the chief goes crazy. Or how the GR got together, or What's up with Wayne.

Only one episode left? I want more.

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #20
Ment

Think the people in the car are definitely proto-GR. Probably similar to Patti having apprehensions of something big and bad happening in the future.

Was there reference to Pastor Matt's illness before this. I don't remember him having a long-term illness post-leftovers.

Dean wasn't seen, does that mean that he only exists in Kevin's mind? Interesting that Kevin was having emotional/mental issue beforehand in that he told his dad he was losing it.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #21
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Was there reference to Pastor Matt's illness before this. I don't remember him having a long-term illness post-leftovers.
The episode that centered entirely around the Pastor spoke mentioned that.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:36 PM   #22
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
I can't remember if the pastor's wife was driving when she got injured. I can't remember how their car accident happened. But if it happened while she was driving, he must feel guilty because he wanted to get drunk and celebrate following what must have been a clean bill of health.

I think I caught all of the tie-ins. I also could not place the bio-dad in any earlier episodes.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:18 PM   #23
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoelH View Post
I can't remember if the pastor's wife was driving when she got injured. I can't remember how their car accident happened.
I don't remember who was driving their car, but the accident happened because they got hit by a car whose driver had departed while driving.

This was the same car crash that we saw happen in the background when the woman was screaming for her baby in the pilot.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #24
sharkster

Oh how I love a good set of back stories!! This was also my favorite episode.

Looks like I need to watch again. I was watching this episode a little too late last night and kept falling asleep. I kept rewinding and must have missed a couple of things.

I didn't catch that Nora's husband was cheating either. For some reason in my mind, prior to this episode, I thought it was SHE who was the cheater.

I also missed Dean Winters (love him ever since OZ).

I did catch the thing about the woman in the car with the screaming baby and remembered from the pilot knowing her kid was the first one we knew just vaporized. Also the ciggies under the mailbox thing and noticed how when the 'are you ready' people pulled up he was sitting there smoking and wearing all white.

I loved how they showed all the different characters' stories at the very moment 'it' happened.

At first I thought there were two sets of scenarios - one where the people and families involved were all happy and living the perfect lives, then another one where everybody was unhappy and in turmoil. Then it seemed that it just melded into one scenario where it APPEARED all lollipops and kittens and then you saw how it really was.

Super awesome episode! But, after reading this thread, I will be watching it again.

Last edited by sharkster : 08-27-2014 at 10:25 AM.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #25
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I didn't catch that Nora's husband was cheating either. For some reason in my mind, prior to this episode, I thought it was SHE who was the cheater.
It stood out in my mind because of the Nora Healing episode where she stalked the elementary teacher in the playground daily from her car and it was an example of Holy Wayne's comment about wanting to hang on to the pain.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #26
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Also the ciggies under the mailbox thing and noticed how when the 'are you ready' people pulled up he was sitting there smoking and wearing all white.
I think he just had a white tee shirt but gray sweat pants.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #27
LlamaLarry

Definitely the best episode of the series.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #28
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywater View Post
I think he just had a white tee shirt but gray sweat pants.
Was my wife the only one who noticed (repeatedly) how uh well those sweatpants fit?

(Definitely enjoyed the episode, one of the better ones by filling in some of the blanks, setting things up. Maybe they should have run it earlier?)
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:33 AM   #29
GoPackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Was my wife the only one who noticed (repeatedly) how uh well those sweatpants fit?
Nope. Justin Theroux was on Conan the other night, his sweatpants were a major topic of conversation. Conan's female staffers asked him to mention that.

I was shocked at how normal he comes across in real life. Not the brooding SOB we get on the show at all.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #30
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post

(Definitely enjoyed the episode, one of the better ones by filling in some of the blanks, setting things up. Maybe they should have run it earlier?)
I'm surprised that it didn't get mentioned earlier. That thing bouncing around was very distracting - not in a good way.