TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Fox Cancels Surviving Jack, Dads and Enlisted

I'm disappointed about Surviving Jack. I enjoyed it and really thought it could get good. Chris Meloni did pretty well in a comedy and I love Rachel Harris. Oh well.....

I couldn't make it through the Dads pilot and never even heard of Enlisted.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/07/fox-cancels-dads/
Old 05-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
sharkster

I've never heard of 'Enlisted' either. I was watching 'Dads' but I thought it was already gone.

I liked 'Surviving Jack' pretty much except that son - the tall kid - skeeves me out for some reason. I kind of felt like they were trying too hard on this one, too.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
dslunceford

Rake also cancelled: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...by-fox/261517/

I liked Surviving Jack. I had watched a couple of episodes of Rake, but won't invest the time in watching the rest...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
efilippi

Surviving Jack did not get much buzz here but every post I recall said that the viewer liked it. I, and my wife, did/do too.

Is it a Fox thing? I like that girl and mindy but my wife hates both of them. They are both renewed, I think. I'm sure there are corporate reasons for the decision, but I could see Jack running successfully behind Goldbergs or Modern Family, even. Same kind of humor.

Oh well. This is why we don't get the big bucks. But as I heard Emily Deschanel say, Bones continues, just don't seem to be able to kill it.
efilippi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
Ereth

I liked Surviving Jack quite a bit. Sad to hear it's cancelled.

Didn't watch either of the other two.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I've enjoyed the episodes of Enlisted that I've watched. In fact, I watched two of them last night. But I've known it wasn't going to be renewed so I can't say I'm bummed.

Never watched any of the others.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:14 AM   #7
mr.unnatural

Never saw Surviving Jack or Dads, but I did enjoy Enlisted. It was silly and downright stupid at times, but it also made me laugh, so mission accomplished. I also enjoyed Rake.

I think most shows that get introduced late in the season get lost in the shuffle, regardless of how good they are. By mid-season, most people have established a set schedule of shows they watch and anything new tends to get overlooked.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #8
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I enjoyed Surviving Jack and Rake, but figured since I liked them, they were gone (Rake I think had already been announced as being gone). I watched a few episodes of Enlisted, decided it was a REALLY poor imitation of the movie Stripes and cut it loose. Didn't like Dads from the pilot and saw no potential it would be funny.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

True story: my daughter, who's 9, saw it posted online sometime during the day that Surviving Jack was cancelled.

Last night at the dinner table, we were making conversation, and she said, "Dad? Now, don't get mad, I know they've only had one episode, but 24: Surviving Jack was cancelled."

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
Ereth

That would be a good series. A retrospective on what it takes to have encountered Jack Bauer and lived. I think the number of people who have done that is rather small, isn't it?

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I enjoyed Enlisted - it was really starting to find its stride. Oh well.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #12
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Other than the d-bag brother I enjoyed Enlisted as well. Good harmless fun when I want to watch something light.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #13
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I watched all 4 of these shows, but will only really miss Surviving Jack.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #14
mr.unnatural

I've learned not to get too attached to network TV shows anymore. There have simply been too many shows that I liked that have been canceled when a lot of other garbage shows get a bigger audience. Any shows that illustrate a glimmer of intelligence, quality storytelling, and acting are usually the first to go, but occasionally something decent like The Good Wife manages to survive.

Cable shows tend to have a longer lifespan simply because they don't expect to get big numbers right off the bat.

Let's face it. The majority of TV is mindless crap these days anyway. I watch dozens of shows each week, but I could probably count the number on one hand that I actually look forward to watching. The rest is just filler.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #15
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Now watch Dads win an Emmy (for the song from the last episode).

What - 13 replies, and not one "They weren't cancelled - they just weren't renewed"? We're slipping...
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #16
getreal
postcrastinator

So "Rake" was pulled just before airing the last episode (E13)? The Ozzie version was much better anyway. But still ... Grrr!

getreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:54 PM   #17
mattack

I hope the 2 main guys on Dads were making a lot of money. Heck, I've still got a few unwatched, and will watch them, it's a braindead show to watch while walking on the treadmill.. But, wow, it actually makes me think a bit less of Seth Green!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #18
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Watched Enlisted, enjoyed it but knew it wasn't go to fly for long.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #19
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
What - 13 replies, and not one "They weren't cancelled - they just weren't renewed"? We're slipping...
I thought about it in another thread, but I'm too weary to fight a losing battle. I've rationalized it as thinking of "wasn't renewed" as a subset of "cancelled."
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #20
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
So "Rake" was pulled just before airing the last episode (E13)?
I'm pretty sure this is discussed in another thread, but "episode 13" is really episode 6, which Fox had announced for 2/27 and then pulled for a still-unexplained reason. The production order of episodes, in broadcast order, was 2, 4, 3, 1, 5, and 7-13.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #21
Gerryex

I tried the first couple of episodes of Dads and thought it was terrible and that was it.

I also tried the first couple of episodes of Enlisted and thought they were terrible too. End of watching Enlisted.

Lastly I tried a few episodes of Surviving Jack and while it certainly was NOT terrible I really wasn't too crazy about it. I know the kind of character Meloni was supposed to be playing but I still thought he played it too stiff for a comedy. I think the best transition from a perennial bad guy to a great comedic character was Garret Dillahunt in Raising Hope. He used to play really really bad guys (like his roles in Deadwood and Sarah Connor Chronicles) but in Raising Hope he was hilarious!!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #22
alyssa

We really liked surviving jack but we've got a 14 year old. So it spoke to us

No matter how smart 14 year olds are, they can be really stupid.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #23
BK89

FOX screwed Enlisted over, I really liked that show!
BK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #24
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK89 View Post
FOX screwed Enlisted over, I really liked that show!
How so? The ratings sucked donkey nuts. For the last original episode it had 1.33 million viewers, a 0.4 rating and only beat an episode of Hart of Dixie on the CW. Several shows on that same night with better numbers were cancelled.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #25
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
How so? The ratings sucked donkey nuts. For the last original episode it had 1.33 million viewers, a 0.4 rating and only beat an episode of Hart of Dixie on the CW. Several shows on that same night with better numbers were cancelled.
Because they put it on Friday night with no promotion and no support. Had they actually wanted the show to succeed, they would have treated it very differently and it may have gained a decent following.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #26
efilippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Had they actually wanted the show to succeed, they would have treated it very differently and it may have gained a decent following.
I keep seeing comments like this, implying that the network has spent all this time and money on a project but decided, ah hell, let's bury it. Do we really think these people are that stupid? I don't.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #27
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by efilippi View Post
I keep seeing comments like this, implying that the network has spent all this time and money on a project but decided, ah hell, let's bury it. Do we really think these people are that stupid? I don't.
They do it all the time. So, either they are stupid or there are other economic factors you aren't aware of.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #28
efilippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
They do it all the time. So, either they are stupid or there are other economic factors you aren't aware of.
Two options. They ate stupid or I am uninformed. Sure that's it?
Old 05-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #29
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Because they put it on Friday night with no promotion and no support. Had they actually wanted the show to succeed, they would have treated it very differently and it may have gained a decent following.
I know I skip ads, but I swear I saw various promos for Enlisted while skipping through ads in other shows.. I don't _think_ I found out about it here nor from my pilot/premiere wishlist.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #30
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by efilippi View Post
Two options. They ate stupid or I am uninformed. Sure that's it?
Give me another. I'm open. You'd be hard pressed.

They bury shows all the time. That is a fact. Sometimes they have a contractual commitment to air a show. Or they are cutting their losses and selling whatever ad time they can for inventory they already paid for. If they think the show has no real future, why pour more money into it. But you need to air programming to be a network. You have a sunk cost. Sell what you can in ads to get some money back. Every dime they make in ads adds to the bottom line.

In fact, Friday and Saturday nights are dumping grounds for those kinds of shows.

Would they rather have shows with all excellent ratings? Sure. But that never happens. Even the most popular networks have inventory they want to burn and time slots that don't show well. So they bury the lesser shows already done in those times.