TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
djsting

TiVo Series 2 TCD140060 Not Booting

My TiVo hung a couple times over the past month and pulling the power cord cleared it up...that is until a couple nights ago. The first time I cycled the power it got to where I was going to TiVo Central and hung so I cycled the power again and this time it got to the 'powering up' screen and hung so I cycled the power again. This time it did not even get to the first screen, the TV stayed on a blue screen. All four lights on the front of the TiVo were on (green, red, and both yellows). I left it over night and still no change. Next I pulled the power again, unplugged everything else (only the USB ethernet) and powered it up again...still the blue screen only and all four lights on and it stayed this way all day.

After some research I was lead to believe it was a bad hard drive so I picked up a new (to me) 80GB WD drive. I pulled my original 60GB drive from the TiVo unit and using MFSLive I was able to successfully clone the old drive to the new one. I was feeling really good about this until I put the new drive in the system and got the same results as I did with the old drive.

What should I do next?
djsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
squint

Power supply?
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

It is probably the power supply. The TCD140 is notorious for having bad power supplies. There are several big capacitors that go bad.

Take a look at the power supply.

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
unitron

The 140 is much more of a pain to disassemble (once you get the lid off) than the later S2s.

And chances are good you have capacitors that need replacing on the power supply.

But for some reason the hard drive data connection seems to give trouble easily on that model.

Do you have another IDE cable you could sub in for test purposes?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote