TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
team montecarlo

Series 2 540 grey screen.

I have a 540080 series 2. A few months ago the guide failed to up date. I rebooted the unit and it went to guided setup. After running through guided setup it failed to connect, kept saying there was a problem with the adapter. I tested the adapter in the PC and it is good. Years back I upgraded the drive to 250 but it ended up going south so I replaced it with the origina. lI assumed it was either the hardrive finally going on me now or the USB chip went bad. We hardly ever use it so I never messed with it anymore. I finally got around to messing with it again. I ran a phone line to see if it will update over the phone. It was on grey screen when I turned the TV over to it. I rebooted it and it goes to Welcome for less than a minute then grey screen. I tried to kickstart for a drive test but it goes grey screen before the yellow light comes on so I am unable to get into kickstart mode. I am getting ready to prepare a drive to replace the original. Does it sound like the drive or possibly the board or power supply shot?
team montecarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by team montecarlo View Post
I have a 540080 series 2. A few months ago the guide failed to up date. I rebooted the unit and it went to guided setup. After running through guided setup it failed to connect, kept saying there was a problem with the adapter. I tested the adapter in the PC and it is good. Years back I upgraded the drive to 250 but it ended up going south so I replaced it with the origina. lI assumed it was either the hardrive finally going on me now or the USB chip went bad. We hardly ever use it so I never messed with it anymore. I finally got around to messing with it again. I ran a phone line to see if it will update over the phone. It was on grey screen when I turned the TV over to it. I rebooted it and it goes to Welcome for less than a minute then grey screen. I tried to kickstart for a drive test but it goes grey screen before the yellow light comes on so I am unable to get into kickstart mode. I am getting ready to prepare a drive to replace the original. Does it sound like the drive or possibly the board or power supply shot?

When it goes from the initial Welcome screen, which is built into the motherboard itself, to a featureless gray screen, that generally indicates some sort of incomplete or faulty communication between the hard drive and the motherboard.

Sometimes it's the drive's data and/or power cable needing to be reseated, sometimes, if you're running a SATA in an S1 or S2 it means you need to futz around with the adapter some, and sometimes it's a problem with either the drive itself or the software on the drive.

If it couldn't talk to the drive at all it would likely do what it does when there's no drive connected, just sit there on the Welcome screen and never move on, so with the gray screen it's moving on to the hard drive but not getting a video image (the just a few more moments screen) copied from the drive into video memory on the motherboard--video memory that just proved itself to be good by showing the first screen.

And of course whenever you get weird symptoms it may be the power supply that's really at fault and not what seems to be at fault at fault.

So, you need to check the data cable connections, you need to eyeball the power supply for bulged capacitors, and you need to use a voltmeter set to DC to check for +12V between the yellow wires and the black ones (or the metal TiVo chassis instead of the black wires, both are connected to each other and considered "ground"), for +5V between the red wires and ground.

You can do that by "backprobing" the hard drive power plug.

Don't let the metal probe tips touch during this operation.

Also, in addition to the white multi-conductor ribbon cable that connects the power supply to the motherboard, there's another one that connects the motherboard to the front panel.

Be sure not to accidentally dislodge or partially dislodge either of those while messing around inside there. They need to be fully seated in the sockets at a 90 degree angle whenever the power cord is plugged into the wall socket or whatever you're using to supply 120V AC.

Speaking of which, remember that the power supply is not shielded like a PC supply is and that there are high voltages present on exposed parts, and above all remember rule #1---

ALWAYS KNOW WHERE BOTH ENDS OF THE TIVO POWER CORD ARE AT ALL TIMES!

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
team montecarlo

Thanks for the explanation of the screens. I didn't realize the "few minutes more" screen was from the drive. I always assumed it was stored on the board and loaded to RAM from there. That helps a lot on trouble shooting.

Would bad drive/connection prevent the unit from getting into kickstart? The front panel light never changes for green to amber therefore I am unable to run diagnostics.

Last edited by team montecarlo : 07-27-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: More info
Old 07-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
team montecarlo

Drive failed the SMART test. Reallocated sector count failed. Looks like its time for a new drive.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
team montecarlo

Thanks unitron. New hard drive did the trick. Even brought the network adapter back to life. And thanks for the link to the 540040 image in the "Don't PM me..." thread. I had a copy of mine on a cd but the cd went bad over the years.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by team montecarlo View Post
Thanks unitron. New hard drive did the trick. Even brought the network adapter back to life. And thanks for the link to the 540040 image in the "Don't PM me..." thread. I had a copy of mine on a cd but the cd went bad over the years.
Glad to hear you're up and running again.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote