TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2014, 05:46 AM   #1
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

FIOS lineup change

Don't know if this applies out of the MD/DC/VA metro market or not, but FIOS is moving some channels around. This may affect any Season Passes you have set up for these channel numbers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FiOS TV Channel Lineup Changes.jpg (70.4 KB, 228 views)
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:29 AM   #2
mr.unnatural

I got that notice yesterday. I would think that Tivos will automatically remap the new channel for any season passes, but it never hurts to check.

WMC allows you to designate a specific channel for recording shows or you can specify SD preferred, SD only, HD preferred, HD only, or any channel that carries the program. Most of mine are set to a specific channel, which is the default when you set up a series recording from the guide. I just need to go into the series record settings for any affected channels and switch from the specific channel to HD only and it should pick it up automatically.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Suspect it'll affect us too.

I know FXX is in an odd spot in the lineup. We have it at 84 too.

I'm going to check out the new channel numbers to see what's getting evicted.

Good to see the "+500" rule is being applied to the HD channel numbers, too. Know the SD number? Add 500 for the HD channel number.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

In the past, any FiOS channel changes/additions have been addressed quickly on my TiVos.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
In the past, any FiOS channel changes/additions have been addressed quickly on my TiVos.
+1. If anything, the channel lineup change messages were annoying for happening so often.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I got that notice yesterday.
What region are you in? Did you get the notice via email? I'm in Ashburn, VA (DC Metro) running Prime HD and haven't seen/heard anything.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #7
mr.unnatural

I'm in Howard County, MD. It may not apply to every market as I'm sure the lineups vary with regional locations.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Just got an e-mail from FiOS today.

Wonder what it says?
Old 07-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
What region are you in? Did you get the notice via email? I'm in Ashburn, VA (DC Metro) running Prime HD and haven't seen/heard anything.
I'm in the NOVA area too. I just got the email around noon today. Which was identical to the info in the first post.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm in the NOVA area too. I just got the email around noon today. Which was identical to the info in the first post.
Same here.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
WMC allows you to designate a specific channel for recording shows or you can specify SD preferred, SD only, HD preferred, HD only, or any channel that carries the program. Most of mine are set to a specific channel, which is the default when you set up a series recording from the guide. I just need to go into the series record settings for any affected channels and switch from the specific channel to HD only and it should pick it up automatically.
I fail to see how changing from channel-specific to "HD Only" will have any effect.

The lineup in the guide should be updated in WMC just as it is on Tivo. If it is not, then making the changes you suggest will make no difference.

The scheduled recordings in WMC are not linked to specific channels, they are linked to a unique network identifier. So once the lineup is updated, all your Series and one-time recordings should also be changed to record from the new (correct) channel. If the lineup does not get updated in time (and I am guessing it won't on WMC) then the only way to get it to record the shows on the affected channels is to record whatever show is airing at the same time as the show you want to record on the new channel number, or set up a manual record for the time of the show on the new corrected channel number. This will only work if the new channel number is assigned to a network in the current lineup, if not, then you will be unable to record from it.

Last edited by Space : 07-30-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:28 AM   #12
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post
I fail to see how changing from channel-specific to "HD Only" will have any effect.
The let me splain it to you Lucy. If I have a recording specified to record on a particular channel and said channel changes to a different number, WMC is (theoretically) going to look for the program on the channel that it was originally set up to record on. If I change the setting to record HD only, it will look for the program on any channel that is broadcast in HD. In my case, I have a couple of programs set to record on Fxx. They're not broadcast on any other channel so by changing the record settings it will automatically look for my program on any channel that is broadcasting it in HD. In this case it will be any channel designation for Fxx regardless of whether it is the current channel or later after the switch.

If the channel designation is also changed automatically in the record settings then I shouldn't need to make any changes. I'm only doing it as a precaution because I don't recall going through this before on any channels I had set to record from. I'm hoping that WMC is smart enough to recognize the change and will adjust the record settings accordingly, but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

Quote:
The lineup in the guide should be updated in WMC just as it is on Tivo. If it is not, then making the changes you suggest will make no difference.
The guide will be updated, but I'm unsure about the record settings. If I don't make the change it is possible that WMC will continue to look for the programs on the old channel.

Quote:
The scheduled recordings in WMC are not linked to specific channels, they are linked to a unique network identifier. So once the lineup is updated, all your Series and one-time recordings should also be changed to record from the new (correct) channel. If the lineup does not get updated in time (and I am guessing it won't on WMC) then the only way to get it to record the shows on the affected channels is to record whatever show is airing at the same time as the show you want to record on the new channel number, or set up a manual record for the time of the show on the new corrected channel number. This will only work if the new channel number is assigned to a network in the current lineup, if not, then you will be unable to record from it.
I don't know if this is true or not. In any case, by changing the record settings from a specific channel to HD only I will be assured that the program will still be recorded, regardless of which channel it airs on.

FYI - WMC downloads updates to the guide data daily, or at least every couple of days (I'm not 100% sure of the scheduling). I do have the option to download guide data manually via a menu option without the need to dial into Zap2it or connect to Microsoft HQ. The data is retrieved as soon as I tell it to go get it. I'm not sure how the timeline compares to when Tivo gets their data since they both get it from Zap2it.

Zap2it provides the original guide info to Microsoft who then tweaks it for distribution to WMC users. Microsoft has been known to drop the ball on a couple of occasions, resulting in guide data almost running out with no updates. They've always caught it prior to guide data completely expiring so I've never missed any recordings because of it.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 07-31-2014 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #13
Space

WMC is slow with guide updates, once it is updated in TMS's data (zap2it is their website), it takes about 2 days for it to be reflected in WMC. It can sometimes take longer or, unfortunately, not update some programming at all. WMC is a bit buggy in this regard.

The only issue that changing your recordings to "HD Only" will fix is if somehow they change the network identifier that is used to uniquely identify the network. This is highly unlikely to happen (it would be a big mistake if it did), so like I said, the changes you propose will most likely not produce any benefit.

I am new to FiOS (but not to WMC), so I am not sure how they do their channel changes, but in this case, it would be possible for them to have the network be simulcast on both channels (old and new) for a few days to make sure there is enough time for the guide to update on any third party DVR. They are not putting any new programming on the vacating channels (at least not right now) so it should be possible to do this. I would not be surprised if they did NOT do this since Verizon seems to not like people who use third party equipment (with CableCards) and would hardly do something that might help them.

As for your doubt about it not updating your recordings when a network changes from one channel to another... I am almost positive it works that way. I know that when I changed cable providers from Optimum to FiOS, I did not have to change any of my Series recordings even though ALL the channel numbers changed. All of them were automatically able to determine what new channel to record from.
Space is offline   Reply With Quote