TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
tamtrible

Can/how can I fix my broken Tivo

I have a a Sony SVR2000 (first generation Tivo, that is) with lifetime service. It also has a cache card It had a battle with gravity, and gravity won. It won't turn on. I tried all the obvious things (like plugging and unplugging it), with no love. I suspect it's a broken hard drive, especially since the guy who fixed it so that it would talk to the cache card didn't secure the hard drive to the frame afterwards.

I probably have a copy of the hard drive from when the cache card was installed, though I'm not 100% sure where it is.

I am... not the most tech savvy person in the world. So, can someone give me the for-dummies version of what I need to do at this point? (including, for example, "buy this thing, then have a tech-savvy person install it for you" or whatever)
tamtrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:45 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtrible View Post
I have a a Sony SVR2000 (first generation Tivo, that is) with lifetime service. It also has a cache card It had a battle with gravity, and gravity won. It won't turn on. I tried all the obvious things (like plugging and unplugging it), with no love. I suspect it's a broken hard drive, especially since the guy who fixed it so that it would talk to the cache card didn't secure the hard drive to the frame afterwards.

I probably have a copy of the hard drive from when the cache card was installed, though I'm not 100% sure where it is.

I am... not the most tech savvy person in the world. So, can someone give me the for-dummies version of what I need to do at this point? (including, for example, "buy this thing, then have a tech-savvy person install it for you" or whatever)

What part of the country are you in?

Do you have a PC with the older PATA/IDE 40 pin headers?

Was the TiVo plugged into the AC outlet when it fell?

I'm wondering if said sliding hard drive might have shorted something, and whether the fuse in the power supply blew quickly enough to prevent anything else from being damaged electrically.

And there's also the question of physical damage.

Have you ever used a voltmeter?

Have you ever used a soldering iron?

If you don't have a Torx bit/driver for opening up the TiVo for visual inspection, this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-I...4502/100087664

will run you about $6 plus whatever taxes they slap on locally, and has the Torx bit sizes you'll need for TiVo wrangling.

Remember rule #1

ALWAYS KNOW WHERE BOTH ENDS OF THE TIVO POWER CORD ARE AT ALL TIMES!

and don't have it plugged in until further instruction, since we don't know what kind of damage may or may not have been done.
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:14 AM   #3
tamtrible

numbers only on the things you're actually asking...

1. Arizona

2. I think I have one that a friend gave me, that my tenant used when doing the jiggering to make the cache card work in the first place

3. Yep, in fact I think I was actually watching it when it fell.

(no idea on what you're wondering)

4 and 5. No, though I have a friend I could probably rope in who has. (same one who gave me the old computer)

The Tivo is presently open. It's also plugged in, it never was actually unplugged except when I unplugged it to check and see if the cord was just loose. Nothing looks visibly broken or damaged.

If it is the hard drive, is the hard drive something I'm likely to be able to find an appropriate replacement for, for a not-too-absurd price?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:32 AM   #4
tamtrible

Probability of it being (or just being) the hard drive is greatly reduced. We tried swapping in the hard drive from my old Tivo (same model/type), no luck.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:02 AM   #5
telemark

Are you saying you have two units of the same model? That would really simplify testing.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:13 AM   #6
tamtrible

The other one doesn't have the lifetime service, and is *possibly* a very slightly different model in some other way, but yes. Should have mentioned that earlier, sorry...
Old 07-23-2014, 04:19 AM   #7
telemark

I'm going to guess it's a blown fuse on the power supply. You might be able to see with a flash light and/or magnify glass. Look, but DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING.

Unitron deals with a lot of power supplies, so I'm going to shut up.

In the mean time, I predict you'll want to borrow a volt meter. While not strictly necessary, it's easier and more certain with one. They're not difficult to use.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #8
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

It is nice to save a TiVo from the trash pile, but is it really worth it when you can buy a working TiVo with lifetime for $15? Course shipping is $20, but still....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVO-SVR-SON...item3a9391c4cc
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
unitron

The various Sony brand Series 1 TiVos, if there was more than one, would only differ in hard drive size.

If your other one is a Sony, but is a 3000 instead of a 2000, then it's a Series 2, and you can't swap drives.

If your other TiVo is a Series 1, but it's a Philips brand, the drive might boot up in the Sony, but the remote won't work--that is the Sony remote won't work with the Sony if you boot it with a drive from a Philips.

If it's a Series 1, but a Direct TV TiVo, I have no idea what would happen.

When you plug it in, do you get any lights on the front?

If not, perhaps there's a problem with the power supply.

Two possibilities are

1. A blown fuse

2. When it fell the power cord was jerked sideways where it plugs into the TiVo and it broke the solder connection between the AC input jack and the bottom of the power supply circuit board.

That's repairable, but perhaps not a job for a beginner.

I've got an S1 Sony around here somewhere, give me a day or three to make some bench space to open it up to refer to.
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
squint

Sometimes a heavy component such as a heatsink can break the solder connections of anything attached to it if dropped. I saw this recently in a Tivo HD power supply. The rear corner of the Tivo had a nice dent in it that didn't correspond with any damage on the box leading me to believe it was damaged before shipping.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
tamtrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
It is nice to save a TiVo from the trash pile, but is it really worth it when you can buy a working TiVo with lifetime for $15? Course shipping is $20, but still....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVO-SVR-SON...item3a9391c4cc
Yep, at least in my present circumstances. I'm That Broke.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #12
tamtrible

It appeared to have a blown fuse. I swapped in the fuse from the other one, though I haven't tried it out yet, I'm getting phone advice from a more-knowledgeable friend (the one who gave me the old computer)
Old 07-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #13
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtrible View Post
Yep, at least in my present circumstances. I'm That Broke.
Your profile doesn't mention your location. If you are in the Denver area I will give you a Series 2 with evaluation lifetime for free. I will not ship though.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #14
tamtrible

All better now. Thanks for the advice, and I feel a bit dense.. <g>
Old 07-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #15
tamtrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Your profile doesn't mention your location. If you are in the Denver area I will give you a Series 2 with evaluation lifetime for free. I will not ship though.
I'm in Arizona, but the offer is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #16
telemark

Do you see how to lock the hard drive down?
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote